Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Quick Poll Texans @ #3.

#3!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Okay, so we have analysed this top pick six ways from Sunday, so who do Texans take at #3?
You only have 5 days so no ***** footin' around - if you haven't made your mind up by now, you never will!😜

Ikem is currently the betting favorite so i’m going to go with Vegas since they have better sources than me:

2022 NFL DRAFT - NO. 3 OVERALL PICK ODDS
Ikem Ekwonu +200
Evan Neal +350
Ahmad Gardner +400
Travon Walker +600
Kayvon Thibodeaux +650
Derek Stingley, Jr. +1000
Kyle Hamilton +1200
Aidan Hutchinson +2000
Malik Willis +2000
Kenny Pickett +2500
Charles Cross +2500
Jermaine Johnson II +2500
Drake London +10000
Nakobe Dean +10000
Sam Howell +10000
Garrett Wilson +10000
Desmond Ridder +10000
Chris Olave +10000
Jordan Davis +10000
Trevor Penning +10000
George Karlaftis +10000
Matt Corral +10000
Zion Johnson +20000
Carson Strong +20000
Kalir Elam +20000
Tyler Linderbaum +20000
Jameson Williams +20000
DeMarvin Leal +20000
Kenny Green +20000

I think They’re all in on Mills…which means they’ll want to protect him…..which means it’ll be either Neal or Ekwonu. Im leaning towards Neal simply b/c they know he can play LT & Tunsil’s contract. I think they like Ekwonu, but they’re not sure if he’ll be able to kick out to LT in the event they trade or cant restructure/resign Tunsil.

If Neal is there he’s the pick, if hes gone, i think they entertain a slight trade down and wind up going defense with either Gardner or Thibodeaux. 1 or both of those guys will get pushed down by Willis and Walker. If they cant trade down, i would hope Thibs is the pick.

Last edited:
Real tough one to call. And you're specifying who the Texans will pick, not our own preference.

Texans will go OL further down the board. They could go with Hamilton or Sauce, but the defensive backfield will be best improved with QB pressure and sacks. Texans will go with a DE.

Hutchison, Walker, Johnson; in that order.

Hutchison and Walker will go one two. Johnson will make it three.

Real tough one to call. And you're specifying who the Texans will pick, not our own preference.

Texans will go OL further down the board. They could go with Hamilton or Sauce, but the defensive backfield will be best improved with QB pressure and sacks. Texans will go with a DE.

It’s Hutch then Johnson for me. I would not be upset if Johnson got taken at 3. Agreed edge probably biggest need and best opportunity to address it is at 3. Whereas 13 can get a guy like Zion Johnson to be a long time interior OL starter which is also a major need.

I think the pick is going to be Ikem. He fits the coach speak Caserio is pushing, he has been brought in for a pre draft visit and he would be a major part of bringing some much needed smash mouth football to this team.

It’s Hutch then Johnson for me. I would not be upset if Johnson got taken at 3. Agreed edge probably biggest need and best opportunity to address it is at 3. Whereas 13 can get a guy like Zion Johnson to be a long time interior OL starter which is also a major need.

I think the pick is going to be Ikem. He fits the coach speak Caserio is pushing, he has been brought in for a pre draft visit and he would be a major part of bringing some much needed smash mouth football to this team.
Not satisfied with the edge rusher we have in Greenard? Seems edge stronger than who we have at corner or Safety.

I like your thinking, but if AH and Walker are both gone, then it will be an OL - they will have a shot at a great defensive talent at #13.

Lovie’s defense depends on gaining pressure from front 4 without blitzing. Greenard showed promise but need consistent pressure from front 4.
Don't all 4-3 defenses depend on pressure from the front four? I have seen nothing saying Lovie Smith will not blitz and Greenard's 8 sacks answer that. He did not have the defensive backs last year to Blitz.

Greenard plays the strong side. We have no one on the weak side. Maybe Jordan Jenkins.
Not my point at all. Just saying of the various positions, we have very good edge rusher as we do left tackle and WR . We do not have a very good cornerback nor safety.

Of course we can use a great right tackle as well as an edge but we do not have more than an average corner and even less in my opinion at safety.

Last edited:
Or make it possible for dem what put points on the board - Do So !
So if Mills is the quarterback and we know he has enough strength to go deep accurately especially over 20 yards, seems like a fast wide receiver perhaps Williams would put some points on the board at 13?

Or make it possible for dem what put points on the board - Do So !

Should'a been .... on the board to do so ! Surely wish I could say, "Huh .... that's the first time I've ever checked out." Sadly, it's what I do ! Ever hear of ADH .... "did you see that squirrel" ?

Lovie’s defense depends on gaining pressure from front 4 without blitzing. Greenard showed promise but need consistent pressure from front 4.
He definitely needs some help and he will get it - after #3.
Brisker, Cine, Pitre, Cam Thomas, McCreary and Sam Williams plus Ebetikie in round 2 & 3. Ain't it exciting ?
Not forgetting Davis, Johnson, Wyatt, Karlaftis McDuffie, Lloyd, Dean and Booth at #13.

So if Mills is the quarterback and we know he has enough strength to go deep accurately especially over 20 yards, seems like a fast wide receiver perhaps Williams would put some points on the board at 13?

Seems like I remember both Cooks and Conley 4.4 or less. I love speedy receivers .... seems like we need a slot or secondary receiver that has a knack for getting open - like Andre Johnson or Cooper Kupp ! No one in our class could run a sub 10 second 100 .... and that's yards, not meters. So, when we were running routes, and got open bigtime, we'd holler .... Boyd Dowler !!

Seems like I remember both Cooks and Conley 4.4 or less. I love speedy receivers .... seems like we need a slot or secondary receiver that has a knack for getting open - like Andre Johnson or Cooper Kupp ! No one in our class could run a sub 10 second 100 .... and that's yards, not meters. So, when we were running routes, and got open bigtime, we'd holler .... Boyd Dowler !!
Conley 4.5 combine and 4.45 pro day. I would move him to slot and put Jameson Williams on the outside. DBs will nor be able to keep up with Williams he gets a step on them. He was clocked at 23 MPH! Cooks would Feast with Jameson on the outside.

Not my point at all. Just saying of the variou
s positions, we have very good edge rusher as we do left tackle and WR . We do not have a very good cornerback nor safety.

Of course we can use a great right tackle as well as an edge but we do not have more than an average corner and even less in my opinion at safety.

Not everything can be fixed in one off-season.

Get 2/3 difference makers and 2/3 solid long term starters and you have a great start to the rebuild. Don't worry about the positions they play as much as they're really talented guys.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they stunk again next yr, as long as Mills keeps progressing.

I'm wouldn't have a problem at all if the 1st 5 picks in the draft looked like this,

Neal
Jameson Williams
Trade up for Green
Woods
Spiller or White/Cook

I would expect Mills to have alot more games like the Chargers game. Work on the defense next yr, with a boatload of picks and cap space.

Don't all 4-3 defenses depend on pressure from the front four? I have seen nothing saying Lovie Smith will not blitz and Greenard's 8 sacks answer that. He did not have the defensive backs last year to Blitz.

Not all 4-3 defenses generate pressure the same way. You know this. Lovie has one of the lowest blitz rates in the NFL and has been doing this long enough that we know he has a tendency to rely mainly on a front four that is talented enough to get pressure themselves.

Texans had one of the lowest pressure rates in the league last year. Lovie’s defenses usually have one of the highest because he usually has more talented players up front. One eight sack guy just isn’t good enough for a cover two heavy defense.

Have you watched some tape of Wan'Dale Robinson? Kid is electric. I can see him being a faster more elusive Wes Welker.
Another guy in that role is Calvin Austin III. He also could be targeted to play the Welker role and Texans had him here on a visit.
Pep tried an ageing Amendola in that role last season and he may be satisfied with him there but a new young gunner to split the reps with him and learn the system will be interesting.

Last edited:
If Neal is there he’s the pick, if hes gone, i think they entertain a slight trade down and wind up going defense with either Gardner or Thibodeaux. 1 or both of those guys will get pushed down by Willis and Walker. If they cant trade down, i would hope Thibs is the pick.
The Jags franchised Cam Robinson their current starting OLT and the Lions drafted OT in 2021 as their top pick, #7 overall so
the teams drafting ahead of us are likley not to use such high picks on OTs so likely we will have the opportunity to pick any of the top tackle prospects: Neal, Ickey, & Cross.

Because he's the best player in this draft IMHO

He's also a very good LT.

Wanna improve the run game draft Neal.
I know you really like Neal. If the Texans go this route with #1/3, I'd then like to take Jermaine Johnson at #1/13. And I still like Salyer at #3/68. I just don't like the OG's currently on our roster and think we need to invest two high picks to upgrade our IOL.

I like Green but I could go with Neil.

I know you really like Neal. If the Texans go this route with #1/3, I'd then like to take Jermaine Johnson at #1/13. And I still like Salyer at #3/68. I just don't like the OG's currently on our roster and think we need to invest two high picks to upgrade our IOL.

I like Green but I could go with Neil.

A dream draft and also adding the best wr available at 2-37

Picking Neal or to a slightly lesser extent Ekwonu offers more potential bang for your buck than any other position player that can be selected.

improved run game
Improved pass pro

both of those alone help your young qb become much better if he truly is your guy. & if he’s better, The offense and team as a whole is much better.

in addition to this selecting 1 of these tackles offers protection & flexibility in the future in terms of being able to move on from Tunsil. THAT has cap implications that could help us going forward i believe.

No other position selected offers all this. No matter how good Sauce is in the pass game he aint having a dramatic effect on the run game or the overall pass game. Teams will simply go to the other side or attack the LBs.

& we should all know by now from our experience with JJ that No matter how good Hutch or Thibs are, they arent dramatically improving the defense all that much either.

Selecting 1 of these top tackles is the only logical choice at 3 imo.

Last edited:
Because he's the best player in this draft IMHO

He's also a very good LT.

Wanna improve the run game draft Neal.
Ickey Ekwonu, OG
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jump
6 ft 4 in
(1.93 m)
310 lb
(141 kg)
34 in
(0.86 m)
10+1⁄4 in
(0.26 m)
4.93 s4.73 s7.82 s29.0 in
(0.74 m)
9 ft 0 in
(2.74 m)

VS

Cole Strange, OG/C

HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jump
6 ft 5 in307 lb33 in10+1⁄8 in5.03s4.50 s7.44 s2810 ft 0 in
Bench Press = 31

Cole has a much better change of direction and lateral movement skills and he may be stronger. A real Mark Schlereth he is. Better take this guy at #68 if you want him. Ekwonu is a vertical guy. His slide step and lateral quickness leave OC and OL coaches wanting a whole lot more.

Last edited:
Picking Neal or to a slightly lesser extent Ekwonu offers more potential bang for your buck than any other position player that can be selected.

Selecting 1 of these top tackles is the only logical choice at 3 imo.
23 of the 32 starting LTs last season were acquired via the draft. We know how difficult and expensive it is to find a LT. The Texans have one year before Tunsil's cap number is $35 million. The rookie wouldn't have to jump into the hotseat immediately, and could be ready to go at LT in 2023. That's how good teams make the transition, anyway.

Back