Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Question?????

TheTim5125

Waterboy
Why are most people downing DD. He had a great year last year and looks to be an amazing back. But... All I hear on this board is Tony Hollings will be our running back. What I wanna know is why? DD has shown to me he can cut it and will dominate... Someone explain whats so special about about Tony Hollings. Nothing against Hollings but why are people hating on DD?

I love Domanick Davis....in a purely platonic way...., but I can see why some would doubt him for several reasons. He hasn't proven that he's durable enough to last an entire season for one. He doesn't have the break away speed of most of the premier backs, and lacks the size of the bruiser backs. I think he was just what the doctor ordered last season, but the running back position is one where you see alot of "flashes in the pan". This season will be enlightening in the sense that we'll see how Davis can produce starting from day one with a target on his back and a replacement in the wings.

I don't care if he doesn't have blazing speed or juggernaut size as long as he gets results, which he has. I don't think people are really doubting him, they're just not ready to put their money down on him being our franchise back. After using a second round pick on a back that many scouts see alot of potential in, I'm not ready to place my bet yet either.

Agreed. I think if you look at the number of backs in the last decade that had 1 big season of at least 850 yards or more, alot have not reproduced that yardage in subsequent seasons. The list goes on and on. I know people are expecting a huge 1400 yd season from DD which would be amazing, but if we get just another 1000 yards that in itself would be huge showing that he can play when defenses target in on him and they have game film to work on.

theres no reason he cant get 1700 he started only 10 games and got well over 1000. i dont know why people are sayin tony hollings will start, if he was our future back then wouldnt we have put him in last year. i kno he wasnt 100 percent but you cant take someone who had done as well as davis and take him out for nomthin hes done his job and hell keep the job if he keeps it up

What I've read on these boards is that Hollings could be the starting back and his value as a backup on the Texans is worth more then what Miami has to offer. I saw both run last year and Davis' ability to get yards after contact will never be matched by Hollings. Therefore the only way he starts is if Davis gets hurt however his ability to get outside can ware teams down while Davis rests and gets ready to run between the tackles. Look for the two to dominate weaker defensive lines. I think what everyone is saying is although Davis is the #1 back don't trade Hollings he is going to a vital part of this team for years to come.

D.D had a couple of injuries at LSU so some people think they need to see a few years of being a solid #1 b4 they give him his props but i feel he is going to be a good one but not great, think garrison hearst but hopefully without the injuries.

People see what they see. To me, Davis looks like a decent NFL back. He doesn't strike me as an elite back. I feel if he stays healthy he is a solid 1200 yard back.

Domanick will blow away all of you non-believers. I cant wait untill the season starts. I want yall to remember this conversation and when he tears up the league this year, im gonna want to hear "i was wrong" from V & Fiddy(weve had this discussion already).

TheTim5125 said:
Nothing against Hollings but why are people hating on DD?
I am not hating on DD, I just think Hollings has more to offer in the long run... (no pun intended)
hook'em07carter said:
kno he wasnt 100 percent but you cant take someone who had done as well as davis and take him out for nomthin hes done his job and hell keep the job if he keeps it up
Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson did a great job in Denver, both ran for 1000 yards in their respective rookie seasons, but Gary replaced Anderson and then a rookie named Clinton Portis replaced both. The Broncos traded Gary and made Anderson move to FB. A player has to earn his job every year.
hook'em07carter said:
theres no reason he cant get 1700 he started only 10 games and got well over 1000.
DD had only 840 in his starts. The other 160 came in the Dolphins/Saints/Titans games. DD wouldnt have been a 1000 yard back if it wasnt for getting those limited carries. He would be a 1300 yard back if he played in all 16 games and averaged 84 per game, but he I doubt he plays in all 16 games...
done88 said:
I saw both run last year and Davis' ability to get yards after contact will never be matched by Hollings.
Maybe, but Portis doesnt break a lot of tackles either. Hollings has the same kind of speed that Portis, he just needs to learn how to use it like Portis. (I am not saying Hollings is going to be Portis) And I dont think we can completly judge Hollings ability to break tackles off 30 carries...
Beastlyman2003 said:
I want yall to remember this conversation and when he tears up the league this year...
Whats your defenition of tearing up the league???

1700+rushing yards, & 2300 total yards is what i call tearing everyone they play a new...well you know what. If that happens, you can bet the house on the Pro Bowl. And it is very possible. the only thing that would deter him would be injuries, cuz Hollings aint gonna take away from his yards like you think, and he is bulking up in order to better deliver a pounding and better take one.

This season I expect DD to be the primary back, but I expect Hollings to get around 10 carries a game.

Beastlyman2003 said:
1700+rushing yards, & 2300 total yards is what i call tearing everyone they play a new...well you know what. If that happens, you can bet the house on the Pro Bowl. And it is very possible. the only thing that would deter him would be injuries, cuz Hollings aint gonna take away from his yards like you think, and he is bulking up in order to better deliver a pounding and better take one.
Some all-time greats havent put up 2300 total yard seasons. Hollings will get 7-10 carries a game next year, I have read/heard that, Davis will get the bulk of the carries though. And another thing that will prevent DD from getting those yards is
Any Fantasy players looking for a potential sleeper should look at the Houston Texans offense. The coaches are intrigued by wide receiver Derick Armstrong, a second-year player. Armstrong has impressed in the offseason so much the Texans might be using more four-receiver sets this year. He would join Andre Johnson, Corey Bradford and Jabbar Gaffney, giving David Carr a nice foursome to throw to if Johnson and Gaffney make the strides the coaching staff expects. The coaches feel this is the year Gaffney becomes a solid player in the middle of the field. The key for the Texans will be keeping Carr healthy. He missed four games last year with shoulder and knee problems, but even when he played after the injuries, he was never entirely healthy. He made a big improvement in picking up blitzes last season, which is a major step for a young passer. Look for him to improve even more this year and give the Texans more big-play throws down the field.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7533756

well Fiddy, lets watch and see. And by the way...i have predicted that DD will gain 200+ rushing yards in the first game of the season. but lets see...

I LOVE the idea of the four reciever set and with the field being spread DD will be a force on the play action. Love it!

i have predicted that DD will gain 200+ rushing yards in the first game of the season.

200-300 is very possible against the Chargers, at home, with a better line.

I've placed my guess for DD this year at anywhere from 1,200 - 1,500 yards with a dozen TD's.

I think Davis' strength is that he is consistent, and I love that about him. I'd rather have an RB that put in 100 yds a game with a few catches to boot (like Dominick), than some back who put in a 200 yard day, and then a 30 yard performance the next week. I believe we can count on production from #37 on each down, has good hands, tough blocker - he gives 110 %.
With that said, we need Hollings to be tough too. He has great speed, and ran terrific in college, but wasn't impressive last year in the NFL. But that is an unfair observation perhaps, given his injury. But he must get solid now, and learn to use that speed in the NFL, as it is becoming a necessity to have two quality RBs. They provide a one - two punch, and compliment each other as RB, and I am glad we have them both.
BTW, I believe Davis is durable and is not injury prone - and will get around 1600 this year on the ground - but the "home run" carries will be Tony Hollings. ONe thing for sure, our running game is so much better off going into camp this season, than last.

BTW, I believe Davis is durable and is not injury prone

I won't include his LSU injury history in this.

Last season:

Training camp -
Week 1: Broken hand - out 4 weeks.

Reg Season -
Week 3: Inactive (hip injury)
Week 9: Left game and didn't return (chest/ribs)
Week 14: Inactive (ankle/thigh injury)

While he was in there, he did great. The fact is that DD has been prone to injury thoroughout his brief college/pro career. That's why it's absolutely necessary to have a quality backup behind him. Whether that ends up being Hollings remains to be seen.

TheTim5125 said:
Why are most people downing DD. He had a great year last year and looks to be an amazing back. But... All I hear on this board is Tony Hollings will be our running back. What I wanna know is why? DD has shown to me he can cut it and will dominate... Someone explain whats so special about about Tony Hollings. Nothing against Hollings but why are people hating on DD?

Remember DD was nicked up a cpl of times last season. I think there is no problem with platooning both backs. Save their legs for the back end of the season! Cowgirls wish they had a 2 back option like us! You can never have enough QB'S or Running Backs! Who cares about Personal Stats. Hope Chris Palmer opens up the "O" this year. More Screen passing less running up the middle. He was to predictable last yr! Put these 2 backs in the open field much as possible. Think about it we could have 2 LaDainian Tomlinson if the right plays are called! Lets just sit back and watch it unfold! Just think after Johnson burns the "D" deep for a TD ( I know he has worked on his catching skills in the off season) Carr can just dump the ball off to DD or TH out of the backfield and watch the Eyes of the "D" bug out! :popcorn:

Back