Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Tajh Boyd - Clemson

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Zach Mettenberger - LSU

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • AJ McCarron - Alabama

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters
Ruh Roh! He's not suppose to get hurt, he's BIG, TALL and a POCKET PASSER. Or as I like to say, all QBs get hurt unless your name is Bret Farve. BIG TALL POCKET PASSERS who don't RUN don't get hurt is a MYTH. MYTHBUSTERS = TRUE

Sure it is. Nobody claims only running QBs get injured or that running QBs will always get hurt. The assertion which is born out by fact is running QBs, especially small ones, get hurt more.

Michael Vick has 1 season in which he played 16 games.

This season Vick, Terrell Pryor, EJ Manuel, Locker and Ponder have all lost time to injury.
Kaepernick, RG III and Newton are all running less.

You may like the only Brett Favre argument but it misses by a mile. You are treating Vick and Manning as if both have been injured and cancel each other out. Vick has 1 season in 11 without an injury. Manning has 16 seasons out of 17 without an injury. Brady has 11 seasons out of 12 as starter without an injury. Brees has not missed a game due to injury in 12 seasons as starter.

Most young qb's struggle with how much smaller the NFL passing window gets from college. this, combined with other factors is why you see so many of them come in their 1st year and are either throwing picks by the boat loads or are holding onto the ball too long and taking so many sacks...They're waiting for that 2-5 yard window to open up on 1 of their WR's...which rarely happens.

Any decent NFL back up can come in & "do what they're told" by throwing it to guys running wide open by 2-5 yards like Mariota & McCarron largely have had to do. & from a qb's perspective, It's easy to be confident throwing the ball when you know you've got 2-5+ yards where you can miss. All of these prospects can do that.

When you're looking for a young talented qb in the draft, You want to see a guy who is confident & comfortable throwing in those NFL windows which are more often than not a half a yard - 1 yard max. Haven't seen much of that from Mariota or McCarron. Not saying they can't do it, but it's definitely gonna be an adjustment they're gonna struggle with. Mettenberger is the guy i've seen most consistently do that with relatively no issues...

I have seen somewhere (sorry can't specifically remember) that this is why the true top programs don't really produce the numbers of QBs that it seems like they should. guys from either smaller conferences or the middle to low end of the better conferences have to deal with more pressure and smaller windows because they don't have the surrounding talent to have WRs running wide open all the time and enough time to order pizza waiting for those guys to get open.

LSU starting senior quarterback Zach Mettenberger is expected to return to action for the bowl game after injuring his left knee midway through the fourth quarter of the No. 15 Tigers' 31-27 victory over Arkansas Saturday at Tiger Stadium....

The left knee is the one Mettenberger has regularly worn a brace on for the last two seasons. He had to be helped off the field. Trainers worked on him on the bench as he grimaced in pain, but he later walked to the locker room. Mettenberger finished 14 of 22 for 156 yards with one interception. In the process, he went over 3,000 yards for the season, finishing with 3,082 yards. He became just the third 3,000-yard passer in LSU history behind Rohan Davey with 3,347 in 2001 and JaMarcus Russell with 3,129 in 2006.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...uarterback-zach-mettenberger-injured/3787803/

Mettenberger falls from late 1/early 2 to mid/late 2.

He's already not very mobile so ACL doesn't damage his stock much at all.

Mettenberger falls from late 1/early 2 to mid/late 2.

He's already not very mobile so ACL doesn't damage his stock much at all.

Yeah, same with Murray (who was mobile but still more of a pocket passer). If this had happened to Mariota, his stock would plummet.

Yeah, same with Murray (who was mobile but still more of a pocket passer). If this had happened to Mariota, his stock would plummet.

Agree with this big time. That knee injury he suffered late in the season may have actually scared him into going back for his junior year. He needs to round out the rest of his game.

I am not convinced Mettenberger and Murray plummet. In a ways this is a positive, eliminates the rush to start them immediately. Offers a legitimate out for team to bring along QB slowly. Those QB who spend a year learning their trade usually do better. I would not be surprised if Mettenberger went 8-15 and Murray 20-32.

I am not convinced Mettenberger and Murray plummet. In a ways this is a positive, eliminates the rush to start them immediately. Offers a legitimate out for team to bring along QB slowly. Those QB who spend a year learning their trade usually do better. I would not be surprised if Mettenberger went 8-15 and Murray 20-32.

Anytime mobility is affected,it does reflect on player draft. Mettenburger had questionable mobility and people questioned murrays arm talent. With ach injuries and not being able to throw period,both will fall a round. Especially since both were problably gonna be lower tier of rd picks. ?ettenburger would've been late 1st maybe and murray 2n maybe even 3. With a horse like boyd stting there who would've been late 1st early 2nd,he will probably elevate to mid 1st and the other hurt guys will fall. If both had undenyable talent,then yeah,I could see the staying solid,but the don't.

Anytime mobility is affected,it does reflect on player draft. Mettenburger had questionable mobility and people questioned murrays arm talent. With ach injuries and not being able to throw period,both will fall a round. Especially since both were problably gonna be lower tier of rd picks. SAYS WHO??ettenburger would've been late 1st maybe and murray 2n maybe even 3. With a horse like boyd stting there who would've been late 1st early 2nd,he will probably elevate to mid 1st and the other hurt guys will fall. If both had undenyable talent,then yeah,I could see the staying solid,but the don't.

As to your comments about mobility and it's detriments on a player being drafted, I offer the names of two of the most immobile QBs in the NFL, Ben Rothlesberger and Joe Flacco. Where were they drafted and how do they relate to my suggestion regarding Mettenberger's prospective draft position?

Last edited:
As to your comments about mobility and it's detriments on a player being drafted, I offer the names of two of the most immobile QBs in the NFL, Ben Rothlesberger and Joe Flacco. Where were they drafted and how do they relate to my suggestion regarding Mettenberger's prospective draft position?

I'm not sure I would classify Roethlisberger as immobile. He's no burner in the open field and he's gotten slower with age, but he's been one of the most elusive guys in the pocket in the NFL for years.

I do, Top 5 Immobile NFL QBs. Being hard to knock down doesn't mean you're mobile.

But to save an Argument, I agree, Mettenberger has Rothlesberger's mobility, or lack thereof.

If we're talking about now then I agree. He's lost tons of mobility over the years. But when he came into the league he was not exactly an immobile guy.

Last edited:

No one ever called big ben and flacco immobile. In fact both are very mobile especially for guys their size. Flacco during the playoffs had some critical runs for 1st dows. Big ben uses his mobility to make big plays. Maybe you don't understand mobility.

No one ever called big ben and flacco immobile. In fact both are very mobile especially for guys their size. Flacco during the playoffs had some critical runs for 1st dows. Big ben uses his mobility to make big plays. Maybe you don't understand mobility.

Y'all may be having a semantic problem.

I have never heard/seen anyone mention Flacco one way or another. That's about where my observation would put him - neither good nor bad enough to mention.

Big Ben is frequently lauded for his mobility in the context of ability to evade pass rush. This is the first time I have heard anyone describe him as immobile.

I don't consider Big Ben or Flacco mobile or immobile...just average for a qb in terms of escapability purely based of speed & quickness. The only reason ben can get out of some of the crap he gets out of is b/c he's big as hell for a qb. Mettenberger is at least as mobile as those guys with ben's stature. They use that stature differently though.

When I discuss Roethlisberger and Flacco mobility I do so in terms of when plays break down are they going to take off and run for a 1st down? Usually not. Can they? Yes. Is it pretty? No. Is it painful? Sometimes. When the team is in the Red Zone are they going to take off and run for 12-18 yd TD? Probably not. Can they? Sure. Will they? Very doubtful.

When compared to Manuel, Tannehill, Vick, RGIII, Luck, Keenum, Locker, Bradford, Wilson, Kaepernick, Pryor, Ryan, Brees, Cutler, Ponder, Rodgers, Stafford, Newton, Romo, Smith, etc are Roethlisberger and Flacco in that mobility class? Not IMHO

IMHO a good pocket presence is the ability to step up in to the pocket or side step a rusher but I don't necessarily consider that as being mobile. I consider that as having a good pocket presence and not to be confused with being extremely mobile.

When I watch Roethlisberger and Flacco today, the last thing I think is, now there is a mobile QB.

Last edited:
IMHO a good pocket presence is the ability to step up in to the pocket or side step a rusher but I don't necessarily consider that as being mobile. I consider that as having a good pocket presence and not to be confused with being extremely mobile.

I suspected that was the distinction you were going to make. I think you sell Big Ben short here. Manning has great pocket presence for very effective movement in small space of only 1-3 steps while being one of the more immobile QBs around. Big Ben's goes beyond a slide here and there. He spins, dances, ducks and evades in a much broader area frequently setting up multiple times before finally making his pass. As you say he is not downfield mobile but he is very behind the LOS mobile and it goes well beyond pocket presence.

Big Ben's mobility is mostly cleverness, not athleticism. He's a big dude who knows he's tough to bring down. He can side step arm tackles pretty well and avoid the big hit sometimes, but he's not running for 1st downs, he's just bouncing around the pocket looking for an open man.

RoethlisbergerScramble_original.gif

benscramble.gif

de44f1.gif

And he can punt too!

benpooch.gif

JUST SAY NO TO TEDDY CROSSDRESSER:

TEDDY-GIRL.png

I dont even need to see his 40 time, wonderlic, or 40 time. Go Manziel, clowney, Murray, or McCarron.

We've been through enough with Carr and Schaub. I dont think the fanbase can deal with a cross dressing QB bust.

Bridgewater = kerry rhodes.

DO NOT WANT.

TEDDY-GIRL.png

I dont even need to see his 40 time, wonderlic, or 40 time. Go Manziel, clowney, Murray, or McCarron.

We've been through enough with Carr and Schaub. I dont think the fanbase can deal with a cross dressing QB bust.

DO NOT WANT.

Really no need to spam this in 3 threads Mr Bill.

I am liking my trade with Cleveland even more as we can now ask for both firsts and both thirds. sweet! :clap:

That would only be a starting point for a trade, I want more than that for #1 overall. Add next years 1st and 2nd as well so that we have ammo for a trade up in a better QB draft.

rams could be an option as well. a lot of rumours floating around that the rams may go after a QB this draft

Yep, been thinking about that. If the Redskins keep sucking, the Rams will have the #2 or #3 pick in the draft, plus their own, which will be in the teens somewhere, plus the Redskins 1st next year. They have a lot of ammo to move up for someone like Bridgewater.

Suppose the Rams get the #2 pick from the Redskins, what would you need to move down 1 spot? If you knew they were taking Bridgewater, would you move back 1 spot for a 2nd? I'd hope there are more offers out there to drive up the value to that mid-1st round pick, but it might not be there. Should be interesting.

Yep, been thinking about that. If the Redskins keep sucking, the Rams will have the #2 or #3 pick in the draft, plus their own, which will be in the teens somewhere, plus the Redskins 1st next year. They have a lot of ammo to move up for someone like Bridgewater.

This is their last pick from the Redskins. They swapped picks in 2012 and got 1st's in 2013 and 2014. They had Washington's #22 last year plus their own #16 (which they traded up to grab Tavon Austin). I think a lot of people get confused on this because the 2013 season is followed by the 2014 draft.

TEDDY-GIRL.png

DO NOT WANT.

Man you are just like the worst poster right now. Congrats I guess

Suppose the Rams get the #2 pick from the Redskins, what would you need to move down 1 spot? If you knew they were taking Bridgewater, would you move back 1 spot for a 2nd? I'd hope there are more offers out there to drive up the value to that mid-1st round pick, but it might not be there. Should be interesting.

Strictly by the numbers, Moving down from 1 to 2 is worth 400 points. The Rams second round pick (47th overall) is worth 430 points. So with Minnesota, Cleveland and Oakland also looking for QBs, it certainly seems doable and assume Bridgewater is their choice.

I'd like to couple it with a trade down with Atlanta or Tampa Bay so we get a third second rounder and assuming Clowney is their choice, still leave us with either Barr or Matthews along with the extra picks.

I'm really liking those two more than the supposed two highest picks.

would be nice if we could get both firsts for the number 1.
and go after barr/clowney and mosley. that would solidify this defence for a long time. add in a CB in the 2 or 3 round and the defence will be a huge upgrade talent wise.

the good thing for us is that mariota went back and murray and mettenberger got injured so bridgewater is now the clear top QB unless someone falls in love with manziel. there are a few teams wanting a QB this year so we can just sell the first pick to the highest bidder which you would think could mean a team over paying for it

I don't think there's a QB worthy of 1/1 this year. Just our luck.

We need to trade into a 1st next year, imo.

Back