Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

QB situation, now what?

I haven't seen anything to suggest David has any advantage whatsoever over an undrafted rookie.

C'mon TK.... You can't see any advantages that Carr would have over an undrafted rookie? Thats just ridiculous!!

I would say that DC has a distinct advantage.... Albeit monetary, but a decisive advantage nonetheless...

TK is wrong about this one....

The rookie has the advantage...

Carr is not a QB that's going to lead you to the big game...He's too nervous...

Atleast a rookie has the chance to be molded...Carr's pretty much been ruined by bad moves and poor coaching...

C'mon TK.... You can't see any advantages that Carr would have over an undrafted rookie? Thats just ridiculous!!

I would say that DC has a distinct advantage.... Albeit monetary, but a decisive advantage nonetheless...

He's got a strong arm, he can take a sack....

those are the David Carr pluses...

Anything else you get out of David, you can get out of anyone else.

His ability to read a defense... not there.

His accuracy... not there.

His judgement.. not there.

His ability to protect the football... not there.

His on field production, in yards & TDs... not there.

His on field leadership, & overall command of the offense... not there.

What do we get by starting David?? What is the benefit??

He makes our offense look priddy.

I find it funny how many think Carr is so highly rated around the league yet noone seems to be falling over themselves to get him. Yet you hear rumors about a backup like Schaub garnering 1st or 2nd round interest.

Exactly. DC will have to be cut or we may get a 4th if we're lucky.

and the witch hunt is on.
So I guess in your perfect world, you would bring in a guy who would instantly give us all of that? Why don't you compare Carr's numbers to the guys we could bring in to replace him. Or even put his college numbers against what the mighty quinn has done. Bottom line our problem is not QB, and the next guy that comes in here will prove that beyond the shadow of doubt, and the witch hunt will continue.....

and the witch hunt is on.
So I guess in your perfect world, you would bring in a guy who would instantly give us all of that? Why don't you compare Carr's numbers to the guys we could bring in to replace him. Or even put his college numbers against what the mighty quinn has done. Bottom line our problem is not QB, and the next guy that comes in here will prove that beyond the shadow of doubt, and the witch hunt will continue.....

In my world, we cut him, take the $5million we save, and get us a DT, or a Corner.... maybe a better LB.

Start someone who does all the things a starter does with out all the extra stroking Carr requires, and start trying to win, instead of developing a QB.

You still fail to mention the bank account.... :)

No matter how you slice it, we save money by letting go of David Carr.

& whether we keep him to start, or we keep him on the bench, we're overpaying.

So if you're going to overpay him, let's atleast try to win, and put him on the bench, until he's ready to start.

You're forgetting about Carr's contract. There might be a GM out there who might want to give Carr a try, but that fat contract of his kills the chances of any trade.

They'll have to either cut him, or keep him. Cutting him is an admission of a horrendous mistake.

Swallow hard.

The "mistake" of drafting him or resigning him ? They thought they could bring him back and didn't. No problem with that here. By passing Vincent wasn't a mistake. History will prove that.

In my world, we cut him, take the $5million we save, and get us a DT, or a Corner.... maybe a better LB.

Start someone who does all the things a starter does with out all the extra stroking Carr requires, and start trying to win, instead of developing a QB.

No matter how you slice it, we save money by letting go of David Carr.

& whether we keep him to start, or we keep him on the bench, we're overpaying.

So if you're going to overpay him, let's atleast try to win, and put him on the bench, until he's ready to start.

or draft another fifth round offensive line guy ?

The "mistake" of drafting him or resigning him ? They thought they could bring him back and didn't. No problem with that here. By passing Vincent wasn't a mistake. History will prove that.

Ha! After how many playoff appearances though???

or draft another fifth round offensive line guy ?

I expect we'll be getting another LT sometime after the first round. The franchise LT just isn't available this year. Joe Thomas will be gone by the 8th pick and it doesn't seem like the team thinks that Levi Brown is worth the 8th pick.

Completely different situations... Schaub is a RFA. Carr is under contract. Whether a team was interested in Carr, or not, it would not be in their best interest to act as though they didn't covet Carr, because they can roll the dice and hope the Texans cut him outright, or wait until the very end and offer a minimal pick...

The fact that Carr is under contract should make him all the more valuable if teams actually see him as a quality QB. Teams don't need to worry about giving him a signing bonus or the cap implications for cutting him if he doesn't work out. His salary won't make for an extreme cap number for a quality starting QB ($2million less a year than what we would be paying him). The only reason I would see for a lack of interest is if either noone thinks much of him or teams are absolutely sure we had to cut him due to fit under the cap, which we don't. Even though it looked as a given plummer would be cut he garnered a high 4th.

Teams that want David feel like he is worth waiting for.
Other teams feel like David may not really be available.
.......And for some he is no upgrade.

The fact that Carr is under contract should make him all the more valuable if teams actually see him as a quality QB. Teams don't need to worry about giving him a signing bonus or the cap implications for cutting him if he doesn't work out. His salary won't make for an extreme cap number for a quality starting QB ($2million less a year than what we would be paying him). The only reason I would see for a lack of interest is if either noone thinks much of him or teams are absolutely sure we had to cut him due to fit under the cap, which we don't. Even though it looked as a given plummer would be cut he garnered a high 4th.

Thing is... If they hold their hand close to their chest, they can wait for Carr to be cut out-right. When that happens they can negotiate their own deal with him and I can promise, he wouldn't be making 5.75 million when that happens. See, his contract becomes a liability because of the salary base which in turn can hurt his value.

Thats all I am trying to say. JMO.

Thing is... If they hold their hand close to their chest, they can wait for Carr to be cut out-right. When that happens they can negotiate their own deal with him and I can promise, he wouldn't be making 5.75 million when that happens.

I agree, but that just goes back to my original point that Carr is not that highly thought of around the league. And $5 million a year seems to be the going rate for a veteran stop gap QB these days so I guess that if someone is interested in him it would be as a backup. We should take what we can get for him and be happy with our cap savings.

Chances are Brady Quinn won't last past the 3rd pick. On my blog I've outlined why I believe the Browns will bring him back to Ohio. The 8th spot is actually the worst spot in this draft because there's a chance all the top talent could be gone and then the Texans would have to reach to fill a need. Here is that scenario:

1. Oak - JaMarcus Russell
2. Min - Calvin Johnson *trade*
3. Cle - Brady Quinn
4. TB - Gaines Adams
5. Arz - Joe Thomas
6. Was - Jamaal Anderson
7. Det - Adrian Peterson
8. Hou - Alan Branch/Amobi Okoye/LaRon Landry

Quinn, AD, Russell and Johnson will all be gone by No. 8.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/10051011

"I wanted to come in and tell you guys on camera and face-to-face that the speculation can stop tonight," Plummer said from the Denver Athletic Club. "You can know by the looking in my face and hearing my words that I am retiring from the NFL. At 32 years old, I'm running away from the game. Not in fear or fright, but health-wise. I'm healthy. I'm happy. I have a lot to look forward to in my life."

Chances are Brady Quinn won't last past the 3rd pick. On my blog I've outlined why I believe the Browns will bring him back to Ohio. The 8th spot is actually the worst spot in this draft because there's a chance all the top talent could be gone and then the Texans would have to reach to fill a need. Here is that scenario:

1. Oak - JaMarcus Russell
2. Min - Calvin Johnson *trade*
3. Cle - Brady Quinn
4. TB - Gaines Adams
5. Arz - Joe Thomas
6. Was - Jamaal Anderson
7. Det - Adrian Peterson
8. Hou - Alan Branch/Amobi Okoye/LaRon Landry

Quinn, AD, Russell and Johnson will all be gone by No. 8.

Thanks for the link.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/10051011

"I wanted to come in and tell you guys on camera and face-to-face that the speculation can stop tonight," Plummer said from the Denver Athletic Club. "You can know by the looking in my face and hearing my words that I am retiring from the NFL. At 32 years old, I'm running away from the game. Not in fear or fright, but health-wise. I'm healthy. I'm happy. I have a lot to look forward to in my life."

I hope is sincere, and wish him well.

:highfive:

OK, what are our options at QB, and what do you think the Texans will do?

The situation now, as I see it, with all of the good QB FA's gone is in one way we are in the drivers seat, with regards to trading Carr, and the other way we are in the hot seat, with regards to not having an established QB, should Carr be traded.

Drivers Seat :drive:

I still think Carr will be traded, and I think his value should be going up. There are still teams looking for a starting QB (like Oak. and Minn.) that may want to get a vet in while a rookie watches and learns. The way I see it the Vikes are in a key position for the Texans. They let Brad Johnson go and I think they are desperate for a veteran QB. I know they were interested in Carr earlier, and then there was a rumor about a trade for Schaub, but I haven't heard anything in awhile. Sure, they could pick Quinn at #7, but then he would probably be "thrown into the fire" pretty soon. I still think they are our best chance for a trade.

Oakland is another interesting situation. Do they stand pat with their QB's and draft Russell, or do they go after Carr or Schaub and then draft Johnson? And, if they do decide to get Russell, would they still get another vet QB to start while Russell learns?

Hot Seat :evilb:

If we do trade Carr, that leaves us with only Sage as a QB with any NFL experience. So, who do we get to start and who do we draft? I still think somehow that Plummer could still be in the mix. Other than that I don't know who is left out there that would be a good fit.

As for the draft, if the Vikes get Carr or Schaub, then I'm not sure they would draft Quinn. They may wait until later rounds to get Stanton, Kolb, Smith, or Edwards. But, if they don't get Carr or Schaub, then I think they are in a bind and would most likely pick Quinn. So, I guess the question becomes, if we trade Carr and the Vikes take Quinn, who would the Texans pick and in what round?

What say you?

I THINK IT WILL GO SOMETHING LIKE THIS....

In a desperation move the Texans release David Carr and sign rookie free agent Charlie Brown. Charlie Brown's agent "Lucy" negotiated a 5yr. $65million contract with a reported $8million signing bonus. It seems since all other QB trade options had been exausted without success, Charlie Brown was the only "big name" player left to appease Texan fans who have DEMANDED a trade at all costs.

Charlie Brown, who now wants to be called "Mr. B", was quoted as saying, "Good grief!" when told Linus had been named the #2 receiver to replace Moulds. Texans fans were cheering in the streets with the news Carr had been released, few seemed to know or care who replaced him.

So what if Carr beats out Sage and whoever during the offseason?

Although it may not show up in wins and losses he is a talented QB. Much better than Plummer when he went to Denver.
If he really beat him out, that would be ok, but I haven't seen him beat anybody out (he was terrible in preseason last summer and they started him anyway). When somebody else has done better, they've gone back to Carr. It's the Texans practice of not allowing competition that I object to. When Tony Banks signed on, he was told that he was there just to be a backup. And so far the new regime has not shown any tendency to allow competion either, other than allowing Sage to play a second half.

Back