Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Projecting 53 Man Roster to Predict focus of the Texans' Draft

I think I saved it somewhere. Let me see if I can find it but if I remember correctly it suggested that we were in Two linebacker formation a huge percent of the time therefore the three starters we have would be sufficient.
I know Perryman/Harris and Cashman played quite a bit. Or at least it seemed like it. Regardless I'm on board with BPA at 2-42. There's a reason they brought in Cooper for a top 30 visit and have visited with all of the top LB's in this draft at one place or another. LB is a sneaky big need. IMHO

I found it quickly which is usually not the case. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

I'm about 99% going with Wilson at 2/42. The expectation on my part is that in the 4-2-5, the LBs would be Harris and Wilson. In the 4-3-4, Wilson would be SAM, lining up on the TE. But I definitely see the possibility that Wilson could also slide into the Nickle position when playing 4-2-5, lining up on the CB.

I think I saved it somewhere. Let me see if I can find it but if I remember correctly it suggested that we were in Two linebacker formation a huge percent of the time therefore the three starters we have would be sufficient.

I am convinced they will come away with at least 1 LB on day two (just reading the tea leaves)
:
1- perhaps we avoided more 3 LB sets last season because we didn't have the talent at the position... it doesn't necessarily indicate that Demeco doesn't like to run with 3.

2- new kickoff/KR rules may mean the need for more LB depth, since they will be much more needed fielding, and returning, kickoffs.

3- normally, the roster is much more LB heavy by OTAs, etc... which indicates a plan to add quite a few LBs at some point soon.

I'm about 99% going with Wilson at 2/42. The expectation on my part is that in the 4-2-5, the LBs would be Harris and Wilson. In the 4-3-4, Wilson would be SAM, lining up on the TE. But I definitely see the possibility that Wilson could also slide into the Nickle position when playing 4-2-5, lining up on the CB.
What about Al-Shaair?

What about Al-Shaair?
Good question. We just signed him, I believe to 3 years, with an out after 2. He's better at run defense. Harris better at pass defense.

So the question is, in the draft, do you pass on a blue chip prospect, who's better at run defense and pass defense?

After posting this I began to realize the situation the Texans are in. We signed quite a few pretty solid vets in free agency with some pretty hefty contracts. Just about any position group, with our first three draft picks, these vets may lose playing time to the rookies.

If you're talking BPA, if Wilson is there at 42, can we pass him up? And if we select him he will be the best LB on the team. Harris and Al-Shaaair will be competing for 2 and 3.

Good question. We just signed him, I believe to 3 years, with an out after 2. He's better at run defense. Harris better at pass defense.

So the question is, in the draft, do you pass on a blue chip prospect, who's better at run defense and pass defense?

After posting this I began to realize the situation the Texans are in. We signed quite a few pretty solid vets in free agency with some pretty hefty contracts. Just about any position group, with our first three draft picks, these vets may lose playing time to the rookies.

If you're talking BPA, if Wilson is there at 42, can we pass him up? And if we select him he will be the best LB on the team. Harris and Al-Shaaair will be competing for 2 and 3.
Wilson IMO will best LB available but not necessarily best player available. Legette; Newton, McKinstry, Fiske, Cooper or Paul could be debated.

I found it quickly which is usually not the case. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

Great article. Makes sense they would look at a guy like Javon Bullard who can drop down and be a sure tackling big nickel in the base defense. Would be more bang for the buck than drafting a LB in the same range (2.59)

Wilson IMO will best LB available but not necessarily best player available. Legette; Newton, McKinstry, Fiske, Cooper or Paul could be debated.
I have him rated above everybody but Newton,Cooper and the same as Fiske/Hall Jr.

If I could, I would draft and place Kingsley and Kiran on the left side and Christian and Christian on the right side .... assuming our 2nd rd center from last year is still progressing. If not, get Mahogony. There is a lot of eye candy along the way, but with the toys we've amassed along the way, we get a talented front five, and we're golden .... this is he year for it. Became a draft nut in 1982 with Munchak .... this is the most talented and widest array of OL - ever !

Something I try to do for fun and also keeps my mind active is to focus on round three only. What guys do I like by priority? Then I look at our two round fours and say what two guys would have an impact from this round. For example, I think Khristian Boyd and RB Guerendo could be huge buys at priority spots.

Lock 'em 123 and 127.
How can I best fill priority needs in round 3?
WR Xavier Leggett [Tankathon.com]
CB Kris Abrams-Draine
OT Amegadjie
CB Sainristil
CB Khyrie Jackson
WR Brenden Rice
Javon Foster

Arizona has 66 70 and 90.

66 CB Kris Abrams-Draine
70 WR Legette
86 Khyree Jackson (CB/S)
90 OT Javon Foster

I'm sure your guys could be different.

If I could, I would draft and place Kingsley and Kiran on the left side and Christian and Christian on the right side .... assuming our 2nd rd center from last year is still progressing. If not, get Mahogony. There is a lot of eye candy along the way, but with the toys we've amassed along the way, we get a talented front five, and we're golden .... this is he year for it. Became a draft nut in 1982 with Munchak .... this is the most talented and widest array of OL - ever !
So you don't like a top 5 LT or a SB winning RG?

Something I try to do for fun and also keeps my mind active is to focus on round three only. What guys do I like by priority? Then I look at our two round fours and say what two guys would have an impact from this round. For example, I think Khristian Boyd and RB Guerendo could be huge buys at priority spots.

Lock 'em 123 and 127.
How can I best fill priority needs in round 3?
WR Xavier Leggett [Tankathon.com]
CB Kris Abrams-Draine
OT Amegadjie
CB Sainristil
CB Khyrie Jackson
WR Brenden Rice
Javon Foster

Arizona has 66 70 and 90.

66 CB Kris Abrams-Draine
70 WR Legette
86 Khyree Jackson (CB/S)
90 OT Javon Foster

I'm sure your guys could be different.
I would love a draft of

Cooper or P. Wilson
Bullard
Sinnott
Guerrendo
Boyd
Trade up for Stiggers.

I would love a draft of

Cooper or P. Wilson
Bullard
Sinnott
Guerrendo
Boyd
Trade up for Stiggers.

Do you honestly feel that we can be competitive with the offensive line that we have ? That would make things a lot easier .... we've got more and better sparklies that ever before, but what good are they without 5 loveable big ugglies up front ? That's an honest question ~

Do you honestly feel that we can be competitive with the offensive line that we have ? That would make things a lot easier .... we've got more and better sparklies that ever before, but what good are they without 5 loveable big ugglies up front ? That's an honest question ~
I'm thinking Ryans, Caserio think Howard will be healthy. I also think that Caserio will make a Jones, Kendrick Green type trade late in camp.

The ol should be better simply by better health. I would really be happy if Caserio picked an OT in the 3rd or 4th rd. I really like what I've seen from Glover.

Who would you take off of the list?

And how do we know what we have in our offensive line, before they have even begun training camp? Our OL should, that's should, be better than last season. But only time can answer your question.

And how do we know what we have in our offensive line, before they have even begun training camp? Our OL should, that's should, be better than last season. But only time can answer your question.

Seems like I've never seen us with a healthy OLine. I'm sure that's not the case .... but .... I see other teams blowin' and gowin' but I swear I can't envision the times we do .... selective memory ? I don't think it is, but the mind is a funny thing ! Can ya'll imagine one of our linemen blowing a D Lineman out of his shoes .... 'cause I can't .... but I can find them regularly on other teams. Oh No .... I'm living in a fool's paradise .... what a trip !

Seems like I've never seen us with a healthy OLine. I'm sure that's not the case .... but .... I see other teams blowin' and gowin' but I swear I can't envision the times we do .... selective memory ? I don't think it is, but the mind is a funny thing ! Can ya'll imagine one of our linemen blowing a D Lineman out of his shoes .... 'cause I can't .... but I can find them regularly on other teams. Oh No .... I'm living in a fool's paradise .... what a trip !

I’m with you just right now seems to be on back burner 2nd year in a row 🤔

Shame because this class is a truly talented one from tackles, center or guard. Surely they’ll surprise us with a quality offensive linemen, even if it’s not early, just keep adding to room with fresh, young talent.

:logo:

Distantly through the mist, I seem to vaguely remember an oline that played together all season.
No.. wait..

That was a movie about gorilla's. Good too. The movie; I can't remember if the line was good..

I’m with you just right now seems to be on back burner 2nd year in a row 🤔

Shame because this class is a truly talented one from tackles, center or guard. Surely they’ll surprise us with a quality offensive linemen, even if it’s not early, just keep adding to room with fresh, young talent.

How was OL on back burner last year? They traded for Mason and drafted two (including trading up for Scruggs in round two).

Then when the historic level of injuries began happening Nick traded for two more OL and signed Deiter/Fant.

My issue with Sweat isn't just the DUI (though that's terrible) it's the timing. 3 weeks before the draft (ie. the biggest moment of his young life) and he makes such a dumb-ass mistake. Between the NIL (for cash) and Uber/Lyft (for an easy ride,) driving drunk is even more of a mistake. When teams look at Sweat most of them want him to lose weight and get into much better shape which will require some mental discipline...that's now in question.

If he slid to our 2nd 2nd rounder, I would (begrudgingly) take the chance assuming he interviewed well.
It happens. Ask L. Tunsil. And I’m pretty sure quite a few of us made some bad decisions at that age and/or know of people that did as well.

Sweat will be alright.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

Yeah, it's too bad we weren't competitive last year. I mean, we had this line riddled with injuries, playing rookies for considerable time, only a couple of starters on the line for the entire season.

Wait.

Hold on...

It happens. Ask L. Tunsil. And I’m pretty sure quite a few of us made some bad decisions at that age and/or know of people that did as well.

Sweat will be alright.

I agree that Sweat's mistake is forgivable if he shows good judgement in the future, but it will affect his draft projection, and it still shows bad judgement in terms of timing. Tunsil's gas-mask video was taken during his freshman year, and someone (a hacker is what Tunsil claims) released it years later, right before the draft. And it cost him going at #6 in that year, and ended up at #13.

How was OL on back burner last year? They traded for Mason and drafted two (including trading up for Scruggs in round two).

Then when the historic level of injuries began happening Nick traded for two more OL and signed Deiter/Fant.
Could'n't have said it better

Can see how things can get twisted out of context when not being very specific. That’s on me, was specifically talking about drafting high upside OT. Was always on board taking Scruggs, but in 3rd/4th rd. Just didn’t like tackle room but thank god for Fant, way exceeded expectations and would be fine now if we still had him, but we don’t. Deja Vu

Can see how things can get twisted out of context when not being very specific. That’s on me, was specifically talking about drafting high upside OT. Was always on board taking Scruggs, but in 3rd/4th rd. Just didn’t like tackle room but thank god for Fant, way exceeded expectations and would be fine now if we still had him, but we don’t. Deja Vu

There will be players out there after the draft on the last year of there deals that can be traded for. Don't worry. With that said I hope they draft Jones or Glover in the 4th rd. Also they appear to have more faith in Heck than we do

There will be players out there after the draft on the last year of there deals that can be traded for. Don't worry. With that said I hope they draft Jones or Glover in the 4th rd. Also they appear to have more faith in Heck than we do

Heck yeah they do

Very late pick @ least, 6th/7th rd. Garret Greenwald, South Dakota State. Less than ideal but cheap & workable.

If you've got a QB that knows where to go with the ball, that can cover up deficiencies. Peyton did it for years. The Bengals went to the SB with a horrible o-line. Of course that's why they lost it too, but still.

Last year's o-line was nothing but bandaids and the Texans somehow made it to round 2 of the playoffs. So having a good o-line is important, sure, but it's not the end all be all. And we have no idea what the line will look like or be capable of when/if they just get healthy.

And we have no idea what the line will look like or be capable of when/if they just get healthy.
It's the unknown part where the team has to plan for contingencies. Unknown at RT. Unknown at LG. Unknown at depth at OT. There have to be answers for the unknown. To expect another season of Caserio and the pro personnel department pulling multiple rabbits out of their hat is laughable.

Their bumps, bruises and abrasions were building and growing though out the year, but they really blossomed in our last game .... there were hurt ! But you kinda have to give it up for them .... it was like they agreed early on to lay it all on the line for our young phenom .... he earned it, and they loved him for it ... I hope they heal before the season !

I hope Howard's healthy. I think Caserio will be able to find this yrs Fanr during camp. I'm for getting a development guy like Gonscalves, Wallace, etc... in the 4th or fifth rd. But I'm not going to let that keep me from getting BPA because I believe Caserio will fill the hole by trade or late camp FA pickup.

Another way to look at our draft: what positions are most/least likely to go undrafted through round 4?

With 5 picks between 42-126, this is the bulk of our draft. Given the likelihood of trades, instead of guessing what player/position will be selected with a given pick, I am interested in what positions I expect to be addressed by pick 126.

Most likely to have at least one player at this position taken by pick 126:
1. LB
2. RB
3. OL (RT/G)
4. DT
5. WR
6. TE
7. S
8. CB

IF we look at the roster after all the activity in free agency, it should inform us as the position areas on the team that Nick still plans to add talent to. So, I would like to start this "roster/depth chart" with my assumptions and then adjust/edit it as new information/players are added or removed to the team.

K/P/LS= Fairbairn, Townsend, Weeks

QB
Stroud
Mills
Keenum

RB
Mixon
Pierce

?

WR
Collins
Dell
Diggs
NBrown
Metchie
Hutchinson
Robert Woods

TE/FB
Schultz
B.Jordan
A.Beck

OL
Tunsil
Howard (PUP candidate?)
Kenyon Green
Kendrick Green
Scruggs
Patterson
S.Mason
Heck
Sharpe

DL
Will Anderson
Autry
M.Edwards
D.Hunter
Barnett
Fukasaki
Settle
KDavis
Horton (PUP or IR?)
M.Sanders
Hinish

LB
Shaair
D Phillips
C. Harris
To'o to'o
Hansen
Hewitt

DBs (We have lots of CB/S tweener types. I thought it easier to just lump them all together for now)
Stingley
Pitre
JWard
EMurray
Okudah
CJ Henderson
MBryant
MFord
LJohnson
D.King
MJStewart

I have listed, above, players signed to new contracts of some significance (paid like an NFL contributor this off-season) or players from 2023 who are expected to have some role on the team in 2024. I look at this and it occurs to me that we will definitely be adding to the RB room, the LB room, and probably TE room... Beyond that, every addition to a player position very likely means a one of the bolded players will are not in the team plans for 2024... This is one reason why I think it is likely we will see some 2024 picks converted to 2025 picks... Thoughts?
Insert the rookies into the mix:

I think Lassiter rounds out the CB room as starting nickel. Bullock is safety 3. Fisher OT 3. Stover TE 2. Jordan looks like a guy they’ll find a way to keep on roster as RB 3 or 4.

Then the 7th rounders Byrd, Harris and Henderson. I think they all have a chance to make the team. But definite PS candidates if they do not outright make the 53.

I will post my post draft 53 man roster prediction later but just wanted to put my initial thoughts on where the draft class fits down now for reference when putting my first draft together.

OK, so, right now, immediately after the draft (and I'm not peeking at UDFAs, cause we're going to love a couple of those guys, we always do):

Offense: 26
QB: Stroud, Mills, Keenum
RB: Mixon, Pierce, Jordan
FB: Hairston
WR: Diggs, Collins, Dell, Metchie, Brown, Hutchinson
LT: Tunsil, Heck, Henderson
LG: Green 1
C: Scruggs, Patterson
RG: Mason, Green 2
RT: Howard, Fisher
TE: Schultz, Stover, Quitoriano

Defense: 24
DE: Anderson, Hunter, Barnett, Horton
DT: Fatukasi, Autry, Settle, Edwards
LB: Al-Sha'air, Harris, To'o To'o, Phillips, Hill
CB: Stingley, Okudah, Lassiter, King, Ford, Henderson
S: Pitre, Ward, Bullock, Johnson, Murray (he's a cockroach)

Punter: Townsend
Kicker: Fairbairn
LS: Weeks

There are going to be some battles for spots going on.

I didn't have space for Brevin Jordan unless he can take Hairston's spot. I'd like to keep on Sims as a returner, but there's not a lot of space in that WR room unless he bumps out Noah Brown or Xavier Hutchinson.

Texans opening day roster last season:

Notice no punter because Johnston was injured. This allowed them to use a PS elevation for punter and carry an extra player on their 53. I am not taking this into account with my first roster projection. But be aware slick Nick will use whatever loophole he can to maximize the roster.

Opening day they carried numbers at the following positions:

3 QB
4 RB
1 FB
6 WR
3 TE
4 OT
3 OG
2 OC

Defense: 25

4 DE
4 DT
4 OLB
3 MLB
5 CB
5 S

ST: 2
1 K
1 LS

OK, so, right now, immediately after the draft (and I'm not peeking at UDFAs, cause we're going to love a couple of those guys, we always do):

I didn't have space for Brevin Jordan unless he can take Hairston's spot. I'd like to keep on Sims as a returner, but there's not a lot of space in that WR room unless he bumps out Noah Brown or Xavier Hutchinson.
I'm pleased with the LB room.
If Phillips is healthy and lives up to his pre injury potential, we have a solid corp.

First draft roster projection:

2 QB: Stroud, Keenum
4 RB: Mixon, Pierce, Jordan, Ogunbowale
1 FB: Beck
6 WR: Diggs, Collins, Dell, Metchie, Brown, Woods
2 LT: Tunsil, Heck
2 LG: Green 1 Green 2
2 C: Scruggs, Patterson
1 RG: Mason
2 RT: Howard, Fisher
4 TE: Schultz, Stover, Quitoriano, Jordan

4 DE: Anderson, Hunter, Barnett, Edwards
4 DT: Fatukasi, Autry, Settle, Davis
6 LB: Al-Sha'air, Harris, To'o To'o, Hewitt, Hill, Hansen
5 CB: Stingley, Okudah, Lassiter, Bryant, Henderson
5 S: Pitre, Ward, Bullock, Stewart, Murray

ST: 3
1 Punter: Townsend
1 Kicker: Fairbairn
1 LS: Weeks

No one, regardless of age gets into a vehicle under the influence and says I am going to get a DWI today. Funniest thing a former next door neighbor twice was at a nearby bar and decided to walk to our Apartments rather than risk getting a DWI, leaving his car in the parking lot instead. Both times he was stopped by the Seabrook Police and given a public intoxication and an overnight in the Seabrook jail.

Not funny, couple years later, Donnie was found dead on parking lot ground next to dumpster of couple sport bar/restaurants.
Did your friend have a health emergency and die of natural causes or did he die as the result
of a criminal attack ?

You have a Henderson at OT. We have a Henderson at CB and the guy we just drafted. He's a G and will probably not make the 53.

You also left off Khalil Davis. He'll likely make the 53 as #2 behind Autry.

Initial thoughts on first draft.

Offense:

Went 2 QB. The hope is that either Mills or Keenum (or a comparable QB) can be stashed on the practice squad. I realize given DeMeco’s history with the 49ers NFC Championship game collapse due to Purdy’s injury he may want to stick with 3 QBs. But post draft with everybody supposedly healthy I am taking advantage of the PS elevation loophole for my 3rd QB.

4 RBs. If Jordan impresses and Pierce regresses, i feel that Pierce will be traded outright. Here I am hoping for the best and Pierce has a bounce back season. Ogunbowale is a RB on the roster projection but I see him and Hewitt as ST ace type players rather than a RB or LB. So I don’t think they’ll be competing for their roster spot aside from ST considerations.

Kept a FB because this offense uses it. I’d like to see Hairston win this role from Beck but we’ll see how he bounces back from injury. Also would like to see Jordan try converting to FB for added roster flexibility.

6 WRs. This team will be running a lot of 3 WR sets so I feel like carrying 6 will be necessary. I have Woods making the team over Hutchinson with the hope that Hutch can hide on the PS. Woods’ ability to contribute as a PR and overall veteran savvy wins the roster spot. Also possible Woods is a cap savings cut, but we’ve been waiting for that to happen all offseason so now i’m assuming he stays.

4 TEs. Would love to carry 3 TEs here but feel like Quitoriano brings the Y TE big bodied dimension missing from the room. Maybe Jordan is expendable if he can’t prove to also handle FB duties. Also could consider running out a 6th OL like Fisher in packages where Quitoriano would come in. At any rate, i’m at 4 TEs first draft.

Defense:

8 DL on active roster. This is because I feel like the team can hide their 7th round developmental DL on PS for game day elevations. However, if Harris or Byrd go off in camp, i’ll have to find a way to keep them on the roster probably carrying an extra DL. I think Hinish and Davis are in direct competition for a spot and I give the nod to Davis. Horton, I think will be placed on NFL inactive list all next season recovering from cancer. Similar situation to Quessenberry where he does what he can in the offseason but they ultimately give him another year to fully recover.

6 LB. I know they carried 7 opening day last year and I would love to find a spot for one of the Phillips, but I just could not in the initial iteration. I give Hansen the nod over the Phillips LBs and Hill is too athletic to be left off the active roster. Hewitt is a ST ace like Ogunbowale.

5 CBs. I have two outside CBs with one direct backup and an extra two nickels. However with the nickels Lassiter can play outside if needed and Bryant can play safety. I recognize Bryant/King as similar players but give the nod to Bryant. Not necessarily due to versatility because King has that. But King has been kicked from multiple teams now (including this one) for whatever reason and Bryant has not. So Bryant gets the nod due to whatever reason it is King keeps getting cut or traded.

5 Safeties. Same number as last season. Feel like Stewart and Murray are mainly ST ace type guys. Add in Bullock to be first safety off the bench when needed. I think Pitre and I know Ward can bump down to nickel if needed.

3 specialists. Pretty standard stuff here.

Initial thoughts on first draft.

Offense:

Went 2 QB. The hope is that either Mills or Keenum (or a comparable QB) can be stashed on the practice squad. I realize given DeMeco’s history with the 49ers NFC Championship game collapse due to Purdy’s injury he may want to stick with 3 QBs. But post draft with everybody supposedly healthy I am taking advantage of the PS elevation loophole for my 3rd QB.

4 RBs. If Jordan impresses and Pierce regresses, i feel that Pierce will be traded outright. Here I am hoping for the best and Pierce has a bounce back season. Ogunbowale is a RB on the roster projection but I see him and Hewitt as ST ace type players rather than a RB or LB. So I don’t think they’ll be competing for their roster spot aside from ST considerations.

Kept a FB because this offense uses it. I’d like to see Hairston win this role from Beck but we’ll see how he bounces back from injury. Also would like to see Jordan try converting to FB for added roster flexibility.

6 WRs. This team will be running a lot of 3 WR sets so I feel like carrying 6 will be necessary. I have Woods making the team over Hutchinson with the hope that Hutch can hide on the PS. Woods’ ability to contribute as a PR and overall veteran savvy wins the roster spot. Also possible Woods is a cap savings cut, but we’ve been waiting for that to happen all offseason so now i’m assuming he stays.

4 TEs. Would love to carry 3 TEs here but feel like Quitoriano brings the Y TE big bodied dimension missing from the room. Maybe Jordan is expendable if he can’t prove to also handle FB duties. Also could consider running out a 6th OL like Fisher in packages where Quitoriano would come in. At any rate, i’m at 4 TEs first draft.

Defense:

8 DL on active roster. This is because I feel like the team can hide their 7th round developmental DL on PS for game day elevations. However, if Harris or Byrd go off in camp, i’ll have to find a way to keep them on the roster probably carrying an extra DL. I think Hinish and Davis are in direct competition for a spot and I give the nod to Davis. Horton, I think will be placed on NFL inactive list all next season recovering from cancer. Similar situation to Quessenberry where he does what he can in the offseason but they ultimately give him another year to fully recover.

6 LB. I know they carried 7 opening day last year and I would love to find a spot for one of the Phillips, but I just could not in the initial iteration. I give Hansen the nod over the Phillips LBs and Hill is too athletic to be left off the active roster. Hewitt is a ST ace like Ogunbowale.

5 CBs. I have two outside CBs with one direct backup and an extra two nickels. However with the nickels Lassiter can play outside if needed and Bryant can play safety. I recognize Bryant/King as similar players but give the nod to Bryant. Not necessarily due to versatility because King has that. But King has been kicked from multiple teams now (including this one) for whatever reason and Bryant has not. So Bryant gets the nod due to whatever reason it is King keeps getting cut or traded.

5 Safeties. Same number as last season. Feel like Stewart and Murray are mainly ST ace type guys. Add in Bullock to be first safety off the bench when needed. I think Pitre and I know Ward can bump down to nickel if needed.

3 specialists. Pretty standard stuff here.
Lots of competent NFL players will need to be cut, placed on PUP, placed on IR, or practice squad to get down to 53. I don't recall having this kind of depth of talent before... It is especially impressive considering how talent deprived we were 18 months ago.

First draft roster projection:

2 QB: Stroud, Keenum
4 RB: Mixon, Pierce, Jordan, Ogunbowale
1 FB: Beck
6 WR: Diggs, Collins, Dell, Metchie, Brown, Woods
2 LT: Tunsil, Heck
2 LG: Green 1 Green 2
2 C: Scruggs, Patterson
1 RG: Mason
2 RT: Howard, Fisher
4 TE: Schultz, Stover, Quitoriano, Jordan

4 DE: Anderson, Hunter, Barnett, Edwards
4 DT: Fatukasi, Autry, Settle, Davis
6 LB: Al-Sha'air, Harris, To'o To'o, Hewitt, Hill, Hansen
5 CB: Stingley, Okudah, Lassiter, Bryant, Henderson
5 S: Pitre, Ward, Bullock, Stewart, Murray

ST: 3
1 Punter: Townsend
1 Kicker: Fairbairn
1 LS: Weeks
Looking at this roster as a whole, I feel like they can compete for a Super Bowl. Sure they can upgrade a spot here or there (DT, maybe LB) but this team is the best on paper since the 2011-2012 Texans teams.

On paper, i’d say they look like the 2021 Cincinnati Bengals, except with a better OL and pass rush on defense.

Lots of competent NFL players will need to be cut, placed on PUP, placed on IR, or practice squad to get down to 53. I don't recall having this kind of depth of talent before... It is especially impressive considering how talent deprived we were 18 months ago.
Yep, lots of tough cuts on the initial roster projection. Feels weird cutting recent draft picks given the expectation that drafted players are basically starters for Texans teams the last few years.

But this year’s team is stacked and has quality depth now. I am sure that there will be surprises. And I can’t wait to see what happens!

Yep, lots of tough cuts on the initial roster projection. Feels weird cutting recent draft picks given the expectation that drafted players are basically starters for Texans teams the last few years.

But this year’s team is stacked and has quality depth now. I am sure that there will be surprises. And I can’t wait to see what happens!
Our PS will look like a smorgasbord for teams on the hunt.
You know Nick will have an eye on other teams as well.

Back