Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Pro day updates

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Word was every #NFL team is here at #UH #ProDay. Visually confirmed 27 of 'em. Drills ongoing. #NFLDraft

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Tremendous comeback story and great sleeper at CB RT @PlexPerformance: DJ Hayden @_go_dj_ at UofH pro day just clocked at 4.37 & 4.34

update:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Bummer RT @SaraEckertCSN: . @_Go_DJ_ tweaked his hamstring in the 40 & is done for the day. @UHCougarFB #GoCoogs

I think Cosell may have been referring to Jordan Reed, smallish (like Hernandez) TE out of FL. Oddly enough, there are 3 TE's with the last name Reed in this draft.

You're correct, my bad. Good, because I like Reed's little brother.

Well, at least Hayden has his life to be thankful for.
That's tremendous speed for a guy who's recovering from a near-death incident.

Hopefully he can give it another try at the Texans usual work-out for locals.
May be it's best to keep it a secret.

On the 5 o'clock news, one of the local station reported that at least a couple of scouts have draftable grade on Hayden.

30 teams were at the Rice Pro Day.

Must be a record, LOL!

Who's the other TE from Rice?
Has anybody seen him play?

His measurables are really good:

Luke Willson TE 6-5 251 -- 4.46 23 38 10-2 7-FA

A 250lb guy running 4.46 with a 38" vertical and a 123" broad jump!
Wow!

I guess I need to pull up his tapes.

And who's this guy? (Also from Rice).

Taylor Cook

Height: 6-7
Weight: 262 pounds
Wingspan: 82"
Bench reps @ 225: 20 times
Vertical: 37"
Broad Jump: 10'2"
40 yard dash: 4.71 seconds

I checked his school bio and stats from ncaa stats site, and he's a TE.
He played QB at Rice Consolidated (Eagle Lake area, SSE of I-10 and Columbus, West of Sugarland, and Northwest of Wharton.)

He signed with Miami, but tranfer to Rice the following year.
Scout Inc. showed that he was just 206 at the time he was recruited by Miami.

Besides playing TE, he's also the punter and the back-up QB.
An UDFA possibility???

Another local product who played at Rice is Sam McGuffie.
He transferred back from Michigan.
Here are his notable measurables:

Sam McGuffie RB/WR

Height: 5'11
Weight: 201 pounds
Bench reps @ 225: 26 times
Vertical: 40"
Broad Jump: 11'2"
40 yard dash: 4.36 seconds

Also, I found some of his numbers at the regional combine (unoffical, of course):
Joseph Duarte ‏@Chronicle_Owls
MT @PlexPerformance: At the Regional Combine at Texans facility Rice's Sam McGuffie 4.28 in 40 41.5 vert, Broad jump 11.2 ft 3.8 in shuttle

Duarte is a reporter for the Chronicle, covering UH and Rice.

McGuffie was a big name in local HS (Cy Fair) and played RB for Rodriguez in Michigan in his Fr year. He transferred to Rice when Rodriguez left UM.

The Owls moved him to WR in his Sr year, probably to take advantage of his speed and his jumping ability.

I have no idea if he's a fit in the NFL.

Florida St Pro Day is today.
A guy I want to see if there's any improvement in his footwork, agility, and change of direction is OLB Brandon Jenkins who missed pretty much all of last year with a lisfranc injury.

He was a terror at pass rushing for 3 years and was given at least a second round grade the previous year had he come out early.

He only did the position drills at the combine and looked pretty stiff; he might be a liability in pass coverage.

But a late third round might very well be worth it for a situational pass rusher.
What do you draftniks think?

Florida St Pro Day is today....OLB Brandon Jenkins who missed pretty much all of last year with a lisfranc injury.

What do you draftniks think?
Dr. CND has me totally off anyone with that injury. Multiple concussions & Lisfranc are deal breakers for me.

Dr. CND has me totally off anyone with that injury. Multiple concussions & Lisfranc are deal breakers for me.

That's why I knock him down a couple of rounds (pending his performance at the pro day.)
Lisfranc is not as devastating, I don't think (as compared to multiple-concussion.)

I still don't know how Joe Montana did it.
That guy wasn't big but his head must be really tough.

Cooper Taylor had an outstanding pro-day, despite inclement weather:

6'-4 3/4" and 228 lbs
40 yds.............4.45/4.53
Bench..............23 reps
V.J..................36.5"
L.J..................127"
3-cone............6.9
20 yd shuttle....4.2

He likely moved himself into the Top 100.

6'-4 3/4" and 228 lbs
3-cone............6.9
20 yd shuttle....4.2

Man, they kept moving up on me.

Words are the condition of the field was pretty bad at Florida St. pro day.
There were some slip and slide out there, not the optimum condition to gauge a performance.

Some is saying Jenkins is borderline top 100 (he did slip on his forty.)

I have no idea how to evaluate him now.

6'-4 3/4" and 228 lbs
3-cone............6.9
20 yd shuttle....4.2

My sleeper guys keep on moving up the board.

Taylor will probably be gone before 125. The guy is smart,huge, fast and strong. He has 10yr starter written all over him. As far as value goes a 3rd rd pick would be a great get for Taylor.

6'-4 3/4" and 228 lbs
3-cone............6.9
20 yd shuttle....4.2

I'm not familiar with the player but those are some good measurables. What's his 10 yd. split on the 40? How are his hips in change of direction? And is he any good in pass coverage? We need a Safety that can cover, and I'd love to find a tall one that can handle the new era athletic TE's that kill us over the middle.

Hearing Barkley was unimpressive in his Pro Day, and reading between the lines from some higher profile writers I can see them putting lipstick on a pig.

Hearing Barkley was unimpressive in his Pro Day, and reading between the lines from some higher profile writers I can see them putting lipstick on a pig.

And I'm hearing ignore those who say it was unimpressive.

I'd ignore all of them - there's reasons to falsely downgrade his performance also. You can find any opinion you'd like of his pro day, and anyone in a position to matter (Scouts, GM's, and Coaches actually employed by NFL teams) have zero reason to truthfully say anything to anybody.

...except Pro Football Weekly who ranks USC's Matt Barkley as the top QB in the 2013 NFL Draft.

2. Ryan Nassib,
3. E.J. Manuel,
4. Tyler Wilson,
5. Zac Dysert,
6. Geno Smith.

laugh-1.gif

And who's this guy? (Also from Rice).

Taylor Cook

Height: 6-7
Weight: 262 pounds
Wingspan: 82"
Bench reps @ 225: 20 times
Vertical: 37"
Broad Jump: 10'2"
40 yard dash: 4.71 seconds

I checked his school bio and stats from ncaa stats site, and he's a TE.
He played QB at Rice Consolidated (Eagle Lake area, SSE of I-10 and Columbus, West of Sugarland, and Northwest of Wharton.)

He signed with Miami, but tranfer to Rice the following year.
Scout Inc. showed that he was just 206 at the time he was recruited by Miami.

Besides playing TE, he's also the punter and the back-up QB.
An UDFA possibility???

I'm from the WC area, but I never heard of him. 2* player coming out of HS, but I hope he gets a job in the NFL. Rice are getting a good player out of Cole Hunt(6'7" TE from El Campo) and Trey Martin is pretty good as well.

TE Lucas Reed (Brooks Reed's brother) looks good in catching drills; DeAndre Hopkins (Clemson) did likewise.

So far Raiders, Bears and Broncos have been in town to work out 3 players, Reed being the best pro prospect.

Back