Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason: TEXANS vs Saints

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The 2 scheduled joint practices between the 2 teams have been cancelled by mutual agreement. Neither wants to participate in potentially incurring the increased injury risks that have evidently been occurring with these back-to-back competitions followed quickly by the trauma typical of preseason games.

*********************************************************************************************************
Texans, Saints cancel joint practices set for this week
Published August 21, 2023 12:06 AM

Teams apparently are reconsidering the wisdom of joint practices, where things can get a little too intense and a little too chippy.

On Sunday night, the Texans and Saints announced they have agreed to scrap the sessions that were due to happen in the coming days.
“Our two teams have mutually agreed to cancel the joint practices that were scheduled in New Orleans this week,” the Texans said in a statement. “After our head coaches spoke earlier today, we decided this was in the best interest of both teams as we continue to prepare for the regular season. A revised practice schedule for each team will be communicated once finalized.”

Some coaches have begun to publicly question whether a second day of joint practices is necessary. Both Jets coach Robert Saleh and Packers coach Matt LaFleur have recently expressed concern that a second day could result in a greater chance for fights. Potentially, any hard feelings lingering from the joint practices could spill into the preseason game that usually follows the joint practices.

With the NFL not willing to get involved in the process, it’s for the teams to make good decisions about how best to prepare for the season to come. In this specific case, the Texans and Saints have decided that they don’t need to get together at all for combined practice sessions before they face off to conclude the preseason.

I wonder how much the projected starters will play… if at all.

Will be interesting to see how DeMeco treats the 3rd preseason game especially with no joint practice now. This is the last opportunity to give our shiny new rookie QB live action before the games count.

The 2 scheduled joint practices between the 2 teams have been cancelled by mutual agreement. Neither wants to participate in potentially incurring the increased injury risks that have evidently been occurring with these back-to-back competitions followed quickly by the trauma typical of preseason games.

*********************************************************************************************************
Texans, Saints cancel joint practices set for this week
Published August 21, 2023 12:06 AM

Teams apparently are reconsidering the wisdom of joint practices, where things can get a little too intense and a little too chippy.

On Sunday night, the Texans and Saints announced they have agreed to scrap the sessions that were due to happen in the coming days.
“Our two teams have mutually agreed to cancel the joint practices that were scheduled in New Orleans this week,” the Texans said in a statement. “After our head coaches spoke earlier today, we decided this was in the best interest of both teams as we continue to prepare for the regular season. A revised practice schedule for each team will be communicated once finalized.”

Some coaches have begun to publicly question whether a second day of joint practices is necessary. Both Jets coach Robert Saleh and Packers coach Matt LaFleur have recently expressed concern that a second day could result in a greater chance for fights. Potentially, any hard feelings lingering from the joint practices could spill into the preseason game that usually follows the joint practices.

With the NFL not willing to get involved in the process, it’s for the teams to make good decisions about how best to prepare for the season to come. In this specific case, the Texans and Saints have decided that they don’t need to get together at all for combined practice sessions before they face off to conclude the preseason.

I just saw another article on this topic. No real explanation for it. I suspect it is to try to avoid any injuries or issues this close to the regular season. The only thing stated in the article below as a reason:

After our head coaches spoke earlier Sunday, we decided this was in the best interest of both teams as we continue to prepare for the regular season.

I wonder how much the projected starters will play… if at all.

Will be interesting to see how DeMeco treats the 3rd preseason game especially with no joint practice now. This is the last opportunity to give our shiny new rookie QB live action before the games count.
Hopefully a full half or more. They need the work on both sides of the ball.

Just a guess, but another reason might be that DeMeco is pissed and wants to really focus on those areas of concern. Number #1 needs to be run defense.

They let the Dolphins run all over them. The LB's sucked. Henry T took a huge step backward, but he wasn't the only failure point. The DB's missed tackles (looking at you Mr. Ward), and they did a lousy job setting the edge and forcing runners back inside to help. They let them get the edge over and over. It was everything wrong with the 2022 defense on full display.

DeMeco cannot be happy with that performance. If I'm in his shoes, I take the entire week to drill this **** into their heads and bodies every freaking day this week and beyond if necessary. If this team has another leaky season against the run like last year, we're looking at another 3-win team again. That would not only be embarrassing but would be doubly awful considering the trade Nick made to give that pick away.

Since they made Stroud the pick at 1-2 and that forced the Anderson trade, they need to practice against the Saints so Stroud will face more intense competition than we will in the game. Injuries be damned, this season should be about nothing more than the development of Stroud. Especially if he's going to be a game 1 starter. He needs all of the reps he can get.

Since they made Stroud the pick at 1-2 and that forced the Anderson trade, they need to practice against the Saints so Stroud will face more intense competition than we will in the game. Injuries be damned, this season should be about nothing more than the development of Stroud. Especially if he's going to be a game 1 starter. He needs all of the reps he can get.

I tend to side with you on this, but Mr. Ryans begs to differ.

If the starters don’t see a significant amount of snaps Sunday, it will be 2 weeks before another game. That means 3 weeks will have passed without many snaps against some real competition.

Not that I expect much this season, 5-7 wins and leaning heavily on the low end of that, but that’s not how I want to prepare for a season. I want real competition and real evaluation. I just don’t believe that fully gets done practicing against yourself and barely playing in the PS games.

It is what it is though. In todays game the first 2 or 3 games of the regular season are the new preseason.

If the starters don’t see a significant amount of snaps Sunday, it will be 2 weeks before another game. That means 3 weeks will have passed without many snaps against some real competition.

Not that I expect much this season, 5-7 wins and leaning heavily on the low end of that, but that’s not how I want to prepare for a season. I want real competition and real evaluation. I just don’t believe that fully gets done practicing against yourself and barely playing in the PS games.

It is what it is though. In todays game the first 2 or 3 games of the regular season are the new preseason.

Agree in full with this, including your win totals and the first 3 games being de facto PS games. It’s pathetic.

Good to be back. Only having to deal with BRB was kind of leaving me flat. I will be posting when I can, mostly on game days. Capt Meco has a lot of work to do on both sides of the football. Looking for some of the BRB old-timers on here. I wouldn't worry about practicing together with any other NFL team right now... work hard and try and keep your team off hard knocks.

Last edited:
Saints starting SS.

********************************************************************************************

Marcus Maye sentenced to six months probation in DUI case
By Josh Alper

Published August 22, 2023 03:45 PM

Saints safety Marcus Maye’s changed his plea on DUI charges from not guilty to no contest and he received his sentence on Tuesday.

Maye was sentenced to six months of probation and his driver’s license will be suspended for the same amount of time. He was also sentenced to 50 hours of community service.

“Mr. Maye’s legal saga has come to a conclusion today and he looks forward to focusing on football,” Maye’s attorney Eric Schwartzreich said, via Katherine Terrell of ESPN.com.

Maye initially faced charges of driving under the influence, DUI/damage to property and person, and leaving the scene of the crash as a result of the February 2021 incident.

The NFL could impose further discipline on Maye for his actions.

Chase Winovich, another OT not at practice. He has had a signficant history of hamstring injuries in the past. Hopefully that's not the reason.

When do you expect Heck to be back and fully healthy?
His type of problem is not predictable. A lot depends on whether his issue is trying to be treated conservatively or with surgery (see my post in the Injury Thread). Conservative (with special footware and/or injections is hit and miss). If one requires removal of a neuroma (benign nerve tumor), for a nl person, return to activity can be as soon as 6 weeks. However, for an NFL DE, it will be closer to 2-3 months following actual surgery.

It’s going to be a long season!
Let’s get some games in first. At least midway, that way we’ll be sure to know how long of a season it will be.
But then again the Jaguar fans thought it was going to be a long season. Midway they thought they would’ve been fighting for the number 1 draft pick. Low and behold these sorry jokers put some wins together and made the playoffs.

Man let it play out is the moral of the story.

Let’s get some games in first. At least midway, that way we’ll be sure to know how long of a season it will be.
But then again the Jaguar fans thought it was going to be a long season. Midway they thought they would’ve been fighting for the number 1 draft pick. Low and behold these sorry jokers put some wins together and made the playoffs.

Man let it play out is the moral of the story.
I get that. I’ll still tune in (like I always do) hoping the offense jells/shows signs of improvement with each passing week. Not expecting a winning season but will be pleasantly surprised if Demeco somehow manages to pull a rabbit outta his arse!

Well, we're here at the bubble game.. a few guys just doing their best for the opportunity to get some digital tape of themselves. I am just wishing for no injuries.
In the meantime "a promo" for the annual TEXSON's Houston Texan's Predictathon for 2023 on the old website's fan pages. It will be posted next Sunday. Feel free to expand your horizons; visit and "chew the fat" on my thoughts for the upcoming season.

Sunday night football, our only appearance on it this season. LOL

We'll win by a billion points because it doesn't matter and no one except New Orleans and Houston will be watching.
Really, when the game is over we all win.... cause regular season can finally start.

Feel like most of the 53 is already fairly locked in at this point so obviously most of this game is for guys to make the practice squad or use their special teams snaps to make those last few spots. While also getting some tape to make a different team if possible.

That said I'm happy CJ is getting some more time even if it's just a couple series as he needs more game reps especially against defenses that aren't our own. I wouldn't even mind seeing him make some more mistakes either. He seems like the type that learns via mistakes and while it makes our fanbase and the overall football media go nuts I really don't mind seeing him make them. Would rather see him develop into a QB that knows just how far he can push things rather than one who always plays it safe.

Back