Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason Gm 2: the Rams

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I don't think any of the Rams defensive starters played either.

Collins's TD was over a rookie 6th rounder, no.6 Derion Kendrick.

Their starters on D include a couple of 2nd stringers, some 2nd-yr players who seldom played last year or were on their PS, rookies, and even some UDFAs this year.

Their defensive players during the first two drives:
Earnest Brown 90, Jake Gervase 39, Jake Hummel 59, Benton Whitley 51, Russ Yeast 43, Brayden Thomas 98, Jonah Williams 92, Cobie Durant 14, Michael Hoetch 97, Keir Thomas 96, TJ Carter 20,

Look them up because I doubt any of us know any of those names.
Has anyone said they played well or do you just feel the need to rub their suckiness in everyone's face?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Davis Mills hardly looked like a starting QB and Barry Sanders in his prime couldn't run behind our offensive line. I realise we are without some starters but we had more starters playing in the first half than the Rams did. There is hardly anything good to take away from the first half of this game. At least not in my opinion.
Agree 1000%!

badboy

Hall of Fame
My game summary

Mills might not be the guy. 2 games of mediocrity.

Kyle Allen looked sharp.

Stingley was solid and didn’t allow any catches in man. Cover 2 is a different story.

Driskel did a great job at sealing the game.

Rivers with a sack in both games making him the most impressive player so far.

Other than that, we played against 2nd & 3rd stringers. Our key starters weren’t out there also. Great win to build team chemistry.
I only focus on three plays by stingley. The first went to the other side of the field and he sort of trotted in that direction and kept a arm up against an opponent. The next two plays he let his wide receiver blast by him. If the plan was to get him on the field in live action but not expect anything, that plan was achieved. The reason his wide receiver did not catch any pass was not due to him but to the Rams quarterback.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Well, optimist or pessimist.

If the Texans keep this up we will be in the playoffs for sure.

I'd be confused on how it happened, but if they keep finding ways to win...... I don't expect it to transfer to regular season but... I didn't expect them to win either of these games... just like I dont expect them to win many in the regular season so.... I'd be happy if they continue to prove me wrong.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I'd be confused on how it happened, but if they keep finding ways to win...... I don't expect it to transfer to regular season but... I didn't expect them to win either of these games... just like I dont expect them to win many in the regular season so.... I'd be happy if they continue to prove me wrong.
I actually expected them to win both games (or at least to have a good chance to); and you know why?

The Texans were favorite in both games; yes, even in the road game.

The guys in Vegas know what they're doing. :brando:

DanielTx

Veteran
I only focus on three plays by stingley. The first went to the other side of the field and he sort of trotted in that direction and kept a arm up against an opponent. The next two plays he let his wide receiver blast by him. If the plan was to get him on the field in live action but not expect anything, that plan was achieved. The reason his wide receiver did not catch any pass was not due to him but to the Rams quarterback.
First play was quarters coverage. Stingley had outside and over the top responsibility on the number 1 receiver to his side. Safety was suppose to come down to cover in breaking routes. Second play is traditional cover 2 with Stingley as an underneath defender outside the numbers then down to the flat. He could have read the crosser into his zone better. He needed more depth at the start of his drop, he went flat to the sideline. Play 3 was man and he locked up. I think he’s going to have some welcome to the nfl moments. Playing db as a rookie is tough but he has the whole package. He’s going to be better than sauce, tools are just too good

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Watched the game this evening. For certain, the Texans had their “first string offense” on the field for the entire first half, LOL!!! Of course, the starting unit were minus Cooks, Tunsil, Green, Britt, and Pierce. I believe both Cann and Howard played early.

On offense, I like the job Deculus did playing LT this week. Deculus is a keeper after the first two weeks. Heck turned in a nice game. Mack and Freeman both had some nice runs behind this makeshift OL. Mills had a decent game behind this OL. A couple of missed throws, a couple of nice throws, but mostly looked like he was running the offense called. Oh, it was really fun watching the FB’s hit the hole as lead blockers. When Cooks plays and Collins is WR2….then I’d have zero issues having Dorsett line up in the Slot.

When all the offensive starting pieces hit the field together, I believe they will be just fine.

The defense played a very good game. Front seven we’re getting pressure throughout the game. 6 sacks and 12 QB hits. The “D” looked like they left 2-3 additional sacks on the field b/c of a very mobile QB. I like the UDFA (#49) LB from Illinois. Hard to see him not making the team. Stingley wasn’t awful and he wasn’t HoF either….for his first field action in a NFL game.

Is anyone else noticing the pretty solid ST’s play?

Overall, another confidence building step. Look forward to next week.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
First play was quarters coverage. Stingley had outside and over the top responsibility on the number 1 receiver to his side. Safety was suppose to come down to cover in breaking routes. Second play is traditional cover 2 with Stingley as an underneath defender outside the numbers then down to the flat. He could have read the crosser into his zone better. He needed more depth at the start of his drop, he went flat to the sideline. Play 3 was man and he locked up. I think he’s going to have some welcome to the nfl moments. Playing db as a rookie is tough but he has the whole package. He’s going to be better than sauce, tools are just too good
Like your optimism and hope you are right. You mentioned Zone but the plays I saw and mentioned he was playing face to face man coverage. That is also his skill set. I am hoping that it was deer in the headlights first game NFL for him. Again hopefully he will adjust quickly as that is what he was drafted for.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Some of us are focusing on wins and others are focusing on Player Development for the future.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I actually expected them to win both games (or at least to have a good chance to); and you know why?

The Texans were favorite in both games; yes, even in the road game.

The guys in Vegas know what they're doing. :brando:
The bookies not the team..
Right?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I know it is preseason but we look to see some positive things leading up to the regular season.
The main thing I'm getting out of these preseason games is that I'm getting a better idea of Pep’s no-coast/Stanford offense. I'm liking the formations & the play action they're using later in the games... trying to "see" the first team offense with those formations & play action

badboy

Hall of Fame
My xoncer
Watched the game this evening. For certain, the Texans had their “first string offense” on the field for the entire first half, LOL!!! Of course, the starting unit were minus Cooks, Tunsil, Green, Britt, and Pierce. I believe both Cann and Howard played early.

On offense, I like the job Deculus did playing LT this week. Deculus is a keeper after the first two weeks. Heck turned in a nice game. Mack and Freeman both had some nice runs behind this makeshift OL. Mills had a decent game behind this OL. A couple of missed throws, a couple of nice throws, but mostly looked like he was running the offense called. Oh, it was really fun watching the FB’s hit the hole as lead blockers. When Cooks plays and Collins is WR2….then I’d have zero issues having Dorsett line up in the Slot.

When all the offensive starting pieces hit the field together, I believe they will be just fine.

The defense played a very good game. Front seven we’re getting pressure throughout the game. 6 sacks and 12 QB hits. The “D” looked like they left 2-3 additional sacks on the field b/c of a very mobile QB. I like the UDFA (#49) LB from Illinois. Hard to see him not making the team. Stingley wasn’t awful and he wasn’t HoF either….for his first field action in a NFL game.

My concern is Deculus moving around going to make him another Scharping.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I can't remember the kids name, but his number is 4. He seems to have a good top end, kind of short though. Slot receiver???
That is Phillip Dorsett. He was a first round pick in 2015 that many here wanted later in the draft. He has been a major disappointment, Texans being his 5th team. He was signed last year to the practice squad

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The bookies not the team..
Right?
Right.
The Texans were a 3-pt favorite on the road against the Rams. They won by 4.

According to the website below, 65% of the money was on the Rams.
What does that mean ?
The general bettors lost and the house raked in the dough.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Right.
The Texans were a 3-pt favorite on the road against the Rams. They won by 4.

According to the website below, 65% of the money was on the Rams.
What does that mean ?
The general bettors lost and the house raked in the dough.

My experience is that bettors Bet On Emotion and bookies bet on facts

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can't remember the kids name, but his number is 4. He seems to have a good top end, kind of short though. Slot receiver???
Like JB said, that’s Dorsett.

1st round talent, but so far hasn’t put it together. Don’t know why.

But he’s a speedster, an outside guy. I don’t think of him as a “slot” guy. Not a quick twitch guy. Not an “in traffic” kind of guy.

I like Chris Moore for a slot, though he’s not a true slot. That 89, Jonny Johnson, Weddington, & Rogers are more “slot” guys. Wiggle, quick twitch guys.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
The main thing I'm getting out of these preseason games is that I'm getting a better idea of Pep’s no-coast/Stanford offense. I'm liking the formations & the play action they're using later in the games... trying to "see" the first team offense with those formations & play action
Yes, and with players out Mills and the RBs did what they could. D played pretty well. Stingley wasn't great. I played DB and unless it was nerves, he is a step behind or more. The 3 plays mentioned above were goofs. And others were just him not being where he was supposed to be. Hopefully he will get better with reps.

badboy

Hall of Fame

But he’s a speedster, an outside guy. I don’t think of him as a “slot” guy. Not a quick twitch guy. Not an “in traffic” kind of guy.

I like Chris Moore for a slot, though he’s not a true slot. That 89, Jonny Johnson, Weddington, & Rogers are more “slot” guys. Wiggle, quick twitch guys.
Agree with you on Dorsett as an outside guy. He would get beat up in the slot. Actually Cooks is an excellent slot despite his size and can hold up under the pounding.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yes, and with players out Mills and the RBs did what they could. D played pretty well. Stingley wasn't great. I played DB and unless it was nerves, he is a step behind or more. The 3 plays mentioned above were goofs. And others were just him not being where he was supposed to be. Hopefully he will get better with reps.
LOL if you think Davis Mills played pretty well then I think Elmer Wayne Henley would have wanted you on his parole hearing recently. :-) goes here.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
This drives me crazy. The 4th round rookie is put in bubble wrap after 5 preseason carries? Doesn't the kid need to work on protections? Running routes? Good grief, Charlie Brown. You come into the preseason thinking things are going to be different. And then get Lucyed, again.
Last week the Saints ran a stunted blitz with a linebacker shooting straight up the middle. Pierce blew him the F up and the LB stayed on the ground until leaving the field. Rightly or wrongly, Smith is probably confident in his blocking.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame

I’m a Texans fan, not a ‘football’ fan, so my attitude towards game action is purely for entertainment value and motives for watching…but this sums up pretty good my attitude regarding the game.

Second half was definitely better than the first, as it was so much more entertaining to watch for sure. Liking what I’m seeing so far, definitely more excited this year over last years ‘product’ that is for sure.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Interesting to see Scharping starting at LG & not McCray. Camp reports made it seem as if McCray was “beating” him in camp.

You keep saying this like its fact just b/c you heard the LA announcers say it....ask yourself this...what media nation wide has an actual pulse on the Houston Texans???

We had Mills, Nico, and Jordan starting for our offense....and Mack if u actually think he his starter quality...our entire starting Oline didnt play ONE SINGLE SNAP. No Tunsil, No Green, No Britt, No T. Howard...

Perhaps you should check before spewing ram announcers garbage to make their teams fans feel better about themselves. I was calling for the Texans to take Mills out b/c that sorry arse excuse of a LG scharping almost got him killed MULTIPLE times.
Fair enough. I have nothing to counter your comments. I agree with you.

I saw you posting in the Stingley thread and thought "Cool, Daniel is still here. Posters calling him a WoF were wrong." I was even going to give you some props and then you post this. LOL.
Some fans are prone to over exaggeration and knee jerk reactions. I sometimes do it myself. Especially when we become too accustomed to losing. We make mountains out of mole hills. I am sure once the game was over Daniel came to his senses. I know I did. I realise it was just a preseason game and not to get so worked up about it.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Injuries

badboy

Hall of Fame
Feel like Sgt Oddball……why all the negativity man?
? I suppose I could ask you and others why all the pie in the sky based on two preseason games.
I see Driskel and even Allen acting like NFL quarterbacks. Sure they're playing with backups but they're also playing against backups. Of course majority of our offense was out but that has nothing to do with evaluating meals regardless of who he's playing against. He needs to play better than he has. Certainly Scharping gave up a play but the guys on the line have given Davis Mills much better protection than I thought they would. He has had time to hit his targets. Collins and Moore are not new.

I give props when I see good play but have no fear of giving criticism when I do not. If he plays better I'll certainly speak on it. If I was watching Mills in a backyard game I wouldn't go oh it's okay just back yard game. He's not my son. He's an NFL player.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
LOL if you think Davis Mills played pretty well then I think Elmer Wayne Henley would have wanted you on his parole hearing recently. :-) goes here.
Didn't play as good as last week but the OL was bad. So can't say he was awful. Same thing with the RBs they didn't have much room or holes to run into. All comes down to the line. If it's good you look better if it's bad you are not making to be set up to look amazing.

10/17 96yrds 1 TD 0 INT
Could have been better, sure. But his QBR was 94.24...

OptimisticTexan

? I suppose I could ask you and others why all the pie in the sky based on two preseason games.
I see Driskel and even Allen acting like NFL quarterbacks. Sure they're playing with backups but they're also playing against backups. Of course majority of our offense was out but that has nothing to do with evaluating meals regardless of who he's playing against. He needs to play better than he has. Certainly Scharping gave up a play but the guys on the line have given Davis Mills much better protection than they would. He has had time to hit his targets. Collins and Moore are not new.

I give props when I see good play but have no fear of giving criticism when I do not. If he plays better I'll certainly speak on it. If I was watching Mills in a backyard game I wouldn't go oh it's okay just back yard game. He's not my son. He's an NFL player.
When you want better.....look no further than the last drive executed before the half. Before that drive, there were a few bad passes and a few dropped balls that could've kept drives alive. Not all failure when you look for the good as well.

OptimisticTexan

Ummmm....No.
Not enough field time to compare the 2 at this time. AJ had 7 more CFB games and 8 more year 1 starts with the Texans. I’d like to see NC get another NFL season to see how he continues to develop. Collins has the tools to be pretty special so I’ll enjoy watching the development process.