Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason Gm 2: the Rams

Texansballer74

The Marine
Would like to see the first team attack the Rams secondary with the mid to deep passes. I understand Pep wants to establish some dominance through the run game. But if he’s going to do that, he needs his starting offensive line out there.
Defense I want to see more pressure on the quarterback from the first team. And a little more resistance. Last week the first drive by the Saints was too easy.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
In the City of Angels Friday 9pm CST.

You got it bad if this is the high point of your Friday night.
Then count me in as having it bad because I'm very excited about this game: it's another chance to see our rookies and a couple of the free agents I've developed an interest in following. And hey maybe we get our first Daryl Stingley sighting !

With there only being 3 preseason games this season....do they treat this game as the old game 3's of years past and the final 3rd game as they traditionally do the last game of preseason???

If they dont get a lot of playing time out of their starters this week....then we may not get to see any real action till game 1 of the season....that would not bode well for a young team still trying to figure out positional players...

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
With there only being 3 preseason games this season....do they treat this game as the old game 3's of years past and the final 3rd game as they traditionally do the last game of preseason???

If they dont get a lot of playing time out of their starters this week....then we may not get to see any real action till game 1 of the season....that would not bode well for a young team still trying to figure out positional players...
Again, going by last year the starters played the 1st quarter and were done in game 2. In game 3 it was announced before hand that starters would play the 1st half and may even start the 3rd, but most were done before the 1st half ended.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You think those games in the 80s and 90s were better? Didn't we have a conversation about the ill effects of head trauma in another thread?
Quality of play was better.

Men went across the middle to catch balls. I wish they wouldn't have changed the rules. Then only those that would be willing to take the risk knowing the consequences of playing, so they could create generational wealth for their families would be playing the game. Mainly only players that love the game would be playing and that would be a good thing. IMHO

I understand you think differently and don't blame you for thinking the way you do. I haven't walked a mile in your shoes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ok I’ll be at work (from home) on Friday night at that time so I should be able to grab a beer and dig into this one. And I’m guessing mills play quite a bit longer so it should be a good time.
When does high school football start?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Quality of play was better.

Men went across the middle to catch balls. I wish they wouldn't have changed the rules. Then only those that would be willing to take the risk knowing the consequences of playing, so they could create generational wealth for their families would be playing the game. Mainly only players that love the game would be playing and that would be a good thing. IMHO

I understand you think differently and don't blame you for thinking the way you do. I haven't walked a mile in your shoes.
Football is a hard,hard game. Yes they took the head out of the game, for the better,but its hard. As discussed in another thread, my son is a pretty good prospect as a junior. He's 6'3 270 with basketball feet. He doesn't have to play football for generational wealth, he and his sisters are good, real good. Maybe not nfl money good, but they're really good and their kids too. Just at the level he's at, its hard. I was a division 1 basketball player and the most physical basketball game you can play in pale in comparison to football.

In regard to quality of play, I think its better because the really good qbs can play longer and better because they're not getting hit in the knees or head. The field is more open, especially the middle because there aren't any kill shots. To me, the most important thing is competitive balance. The very reason the Steelers and Niners dynasty existed is because of no free agency. Joe Greene, Blount,and Shell had no negotiating power. Teams, pre cap, paid you what they wanted and you took it or left it. That made for good to really good reams and some sorry teams who stayed sorry. I mean, it was hard to get out the hole back in the gap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Football is a hard,hard game. Yes they took the head out of the game, for the better,but its hard. As discussed in another thread, my son is a pretty good prospect as a junior. He's 6'3 270 with basketball feet. He doesn't have to play football for generational wealth, he and his sisters are good, real good. Maybe not nfl money good, but they're really good and their kids too. Just at the level he's at, its hard. I was a division 1 basketball player and the most physical basketball game you can play in pale in comparison to football.

In regard to quality of play, I think its better because the really good qbs can play longer and better because they're not getting hit in the knees or head. The field is more open, especially the middle because there aren't any kill shots. To me, the most important thing is competitive balance. The very reason the Steelers and Niners dynasty existed is because of no free agency. Joe Greene, Blount,and Shell had no negotiating power. Teams, pre cap, paid you what they wanted and you took it or left it. That made for good to really good reams and some sorry teams who stayed sorry. I mean, it was hard to get out the hole back in the gap.
Man you must have a heck of a grocery bill. Lol

Teams dug themselves out of those holes back then. Look at the Oilers/Eagles/NYG as examples. I like for QBs to have to earn their money and take hits like every other player on the field. I guess I like the more physical style of play.

ghostlight

Veteran

Teams dug themselves out of those holes back then. Look at the Oilers/Eagles/NYG as examples. I like for QBs to have to earn their money and take hits like every other player on the field. I guess I like the more physical style of play.
Keep in mind that DL men were for the average under 300 lbs and today they are all over 300 and can run under 5 sec 40s

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

That grocery bill something else my friend. I only got 2 years left for that though. He will be some power 5 food problem after that lol

Toro Bravo

Rookie
If all the Texans games started at 9PM, they'd replace both bowling and golf as the best sports to sleep to.
Both games being televised tonight start at 7:00 P.M. local time where they are played. I'm looking forward to watching the Texans play - hope I can stay up at least until half time (sad, I know).

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Both games being televised tonight start at 7:00 P.M. local time where they are played. I'm looking forward to watching the Texans play - hope I can stay up at least until half time (sad, I know).
By the time we get to the 4th quarter of this game tonight, half the players on the field will be trying out for the USFL and XFL in the spring. That'll put anybody to sleep.

Yes no injuries would be nice, and hoping to see the 1st string entact and play more than a couple of series would be ideal....hard to evaluate progress and talent when you dont play and get in a rhythm

wildroot

Rookie
How come I can't watch an away game in Victoria?!? Says the game is subject to blackout restrictions in my area.
An AWAY game?!?