Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pre-season...Game 2...Detroit Lions!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
On Saturday, August 17th at 7pm CST, the Detroit Lions will be in town to take on our Houston Texans at NRG Stadium.

After that debacle in Green Bay, it's clear that the Texans still don't have an offensive line or corner backs. Someone needs to step up and lead both groups and I really don't think that leader for either group is on the team at present.
Now granted, most of the players that went out in that game won't be in Houston in 3 weeks, but still, they showed that the Texans have a long way to go in developing those areas. Devlin is the problem with the offensive line. He has a real knack at taking good, promising players and turning them into garbage. Get rid of him and 100% of the problem is gone.
As far as the secondary, in particular, the corner backs, they just need more speed and talent. Lacking in both leaves the defense open to attack. It needs to be addressed and the guys that are on the team just need to step up.
Most of the problems lie in coaching. It's clear that coaching is the biggest problem with this team that is loaded with talent at all of the important positions.
Let's just see if things can be brought into perspective and if this coaching staff can up their game and lead this talent laden Texans team into the season with nothing less then winning as the number one priority.
We saw none of Watson and most of the starters, so let's hope it can be chalked up to as simply lesser talent not being able to keep up with Green Bay in that game.
Time to give us a reason to believe the Texans are a good team and one to be proud of. We're tired of the Texans failing year after year.
The Lions coming to town should be a positive and hopefully we'll see something of the starters in this game.
Let's Go Texans!
Get It Done!

Last edited:

Mangler

Toro de España
I’ll be keeping an eye out on Austin Exford, and Tyron Johnson. Those are the only two that were worth watching last night anyway. Not bashing Howard and Scharping, but Exford and Johnson actually have competent coaches that will develop them. Our offensive linemen, on the other hand, will just regress and go on to be irrelevant thanks to Devlin and O’Brien’s incompetent ass.

Oh, also our running back group. I think we’re stacked and excited to see which out the bunch gets a spot behind Miller and Duke Johnson.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
The Lions have had some hard knocks and haven't responded too well, so the prediction is Toros 21, Bearded Cats 10. If the coaching is as rotten through and through as you guys think, something better be done about it before the season even begins.

badboy

Hall of Fame
On Saturday, August 17th at 7pm CST, the Detroit Lions will be in town to take on our Houston Texans at NRG Stadium.

After that debacle in Green Bay, it's clear that the Texans still don't have an offensive line or corner backs. Someone needs to step up and lead both groups and I really don't think that leader for either group is on the team at present.
Now granted, most of the players that went out in that game won't be in Houston in 3 weeks, but still, they showed that the Texans have a long way to go in developing those areas. Devlin is the problem with the offensive line. He has a real knack at taking good, promising players and turning them into garbage. Get rid of him and 100% of the problem is gone.
As far as the secondary, in particular, the corner backs, they just need more speed and talent. Lacking in both leaves the defense open to attack. It needs to be addressed and the guys that are on the team just need to step up.
Most of the problems lie in coaching. It's clear that coaching is the biggest problem with this team that is loaded with talent at all of the important positions.
Let's just see if things can be brought into perspective and if this coaching staff can up their game and lead this talent laden Texans team into the season with nothing less then winning as the number one priority.
We saw none of Watson and most of the starters, so let's hope it can be chalked up to as simply lesser talent not being able to keep up with Green Bay in that game.
Time to give us a reason to believe the Texans are a good team and one to be proud of. We're tired of the Texans failing year after year.
The Lions coming to town should be a positive and hopefully we'll see something of the starters in this game.
Let's Go Texans!
Get It Done!
How many snaps did Jonathan Joseph play? How many snaps did starting left tackle Davenport play? Kalil & Henderson proved what we thought they are. What is shocking about that? Scharping looks okay at guard and will be much better replacing RT Henderson as I have said all along. Where has Howard been getting his reps and compliments? Left guard. I can understand after Kalil fell apart, coaching getting Howard some time at left tackle. By preseason game 3 it will be time to start Davenport LT next to Titus Howard. Fulton can play right guard. If Henderson cannot get better expect Max Scharping to start at right tackle. I expect Martin to start at Center by game 1. If not, Fulton Center, Sharpie at Right Guard and Henderson like or not at RT.
If Fulton starts center and Scharping at RT. The concern should be if Rankin can be at least avg RG. His feet should be much less a detriment there.

Texansballer74

The Marine
A lot of starters didn't play Jam so how did you formulate that type of evaluation. The starters will should play a few series and that won't be enough to really evaluate the oline and cornerback departments.

Would be nice it we could see the starters play the entire first half. But we all know they will more and only play 2-3 series.

LikeMike

Veteran
I have only seen the “game in 40 minutes” version on my smartphone in the train, so take my assessment with a grain of salt but - I don’t get where all the negative buzz is coming from. Turnovers killed us. I can live with that, because we hopefully never have to play Webb as our qb and if we do we won’t win anyways. Also if i recall correctly an und undrafted rookie fumbled and Kekse muffed a punt. All things I am not worried about.

As for the oline, I didn’t see a trainwreck. I tried to follow Howard and Scharping and both looked really good. Howard especially, in the run blocking he was often blocking two guys (first hitting the de then switching over to the olb). I didn’t really see either get beat badly.

Khalil was worse but not in the “the world is going to end” way. He didn’t look any worse than what we had out there last season. That is not a good thing, but basically what we expected.

Main concern still is the secondary, but JoJo wasn’t out there, and he is a big part of it. And it’s still jus the first game of our preseason. I am just happy that our two first draft picks seem to be an immediate upgrade.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hey JamTex curious ? Why do you label the GB game a debacle ? Surely not because we lost since wins and loses in preseason mean absolutely nothing.
Are you referring to the offensive line play which I would call disappointing but it's still too early to write off the Oline we have in camp IMO and there were some
encouraging plays by the rookie Olinemen in their very first NFL game action.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Why so much wailing and gnashing of teeth over PS game 1? It was mostly scrubs going against scrubs. I saw some things that I liked. I thought the OL that started the game did ok for the first couple of series. Looking at it objectively, the Texans moved the ball up and down the field against the Packers and the defense held them, for the most part. Turnovers and penalties were the 2 biggest factors for me in that game. Clean those two things up against Detroit and I'll be happy.

I'm expecting to see at least one series each of the starting defense and offense. I'm not expecting to see a polished product, but I do want to see good fundamentals from both units.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Why so much wailing and gnashing of teeth over PS game 1? It was mostly scrubs going against scrubs. I saw some things that I liked. I thought the OL that started the game did ok for the first couple of series. Looking at it objectively, the Texans moved the ball up and down the field against the Packers and the defense held them, for the most part. Turnovers and penalties were the 2 biggest factors for me in that game. Clean those two things up against Detroit and I'll be happy.

I'm expecting to see at least one series each of the starting defense and offense. I'm not expecting to see a polished product, but I do want to see good fundamentals from both units.

Not very likely Doc.

Webb will be running the show again. Not his fault, he is doing the best he can.

Do we have any backup D linemen who can put pressure on the QB?

Waiting for one newbie to step up, stand out.

It's only a preseason game but it would be nice if something / anything positive should surface.

:coffee:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Not very likely Doc.

Webb will be running the show again. Not his fault, he is doing the best he can.

Do we have any backup D linemen who can put pressure on the QB?

Waiting for one newbie to step up, stand out.

It's only a preseason game but it would be nice if something / anything positive should surface.

Perhaps Reader and Watt will actually play a series this go-round? And maybe JJO,Reid,McKinney, Cunningham too?

Texansballer74

The Marine
My boy just told me he heard it's a good chance Watson won't play in this game.

If true I'm going to be pissed.

Deja vu all over again

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Perhaps Reader and Watt will actually play a series this go-round? And maybe JJO,Reid,McKinney, Cunningham too?
That would be a debacle. They might get hurt. We should save them until after the bye week.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Honestly I don't even know why they have the pre-season game any more. How many reps do you think the starting units, including Watson, Nuk, etc. got in the scrimmages against the Packers? I'll bet it's a lot more than they had in the game, including the zero snaps Watson and Nuk took. I'd rather watch a scrimmage where Watson, Nuk, Miller, JJ, Reader, Cunningham, the starting secondary, the o-line, etc. are all getting reps as opposed to getting few to none in a damn boring ass pre-season game with a bunch of players nobody knows, who'll be looking for work come Sept. 1.

But that's the paying full price for a pre-season game season ticket holder in me talking. Maybe there's a good reason to have the game, I just can't think of one.

#NoMorePreSeaonGames #SwitchToJointScrimmages

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Honestly I don't even know why they have the pre-season game any more. How many reps do you think the starting units, including Watson, Nuk, etc. got in the scrimmages against the Packers? I'll bet it's a lot more than they had in the game, including the zero snaps Watson and Nuk took. I'd rather watch a scrimmage where Watson, Nuk, Miller, JJ, Reader, Cunningham, the starting secondary, the o-line, etc. are all getting reps as opposed to getting few to none in a damn boring ass pre-season game with a bunch of players nobody knows, who'll be looking for work come Sept. 1.

But that's the paying full price for a pre-season game season ticket holder in me talking. Maybe there's a good reason to have the game, I just can't think of one.

#NoMorePreSeaonGames #SwitchToJointScrimmages
Think you just hit on the reason to have them.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I’d mind paying full price less if they scrapped the game and had a 3 hour in stadium joint practice. You’d definitely get more out of that than you would a game.
Isn't that what it is?

A nomenclature change would make you happy?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Isn't that what it is?

A nomenclature change would make you happy?
If you have to pay full price I’d rather see the 1’s actually on the field. No, I’m not happy paying full price for practice, but if that’s going to happen anyway, let me watch the 1’s practice.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If you have to pay full price I’d rather see the 1’s actually on the field. No, I’m not happy paying full price for practice, but if that’s going to happen anyway, let me watch the 1’s practice.
What makes you think the starters will practice? Just as many if not more guys get hurt in practice than in the pre season games so even if its just a practice why risk the starters? Seems to me most teams bring them in to shake off the rust, learn about any changes, make sure they are still in playing shape and introduce them to the new guys. All these things happen in the first couple of weeks so I don't see them risking Nuk, Watt or Watson just for a little extra practice.

I agree paying full price for pre-season or practice is stupid but I don't think you'd get any more value out of more practices vs pre-season games. But then value is in the eye of the buyer so there is that.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree paying full price for pre-season or practice is stupid but I don't think you'd get any more value out of more practices vs pre-season games. But then value is in the eye of the buyer so there is that.
If preseason games were free, the regular season games would cost more. About 4 games more.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I have to swallow preseason games in small doses. I DVR them and watch a quarter or two a day. I would have to be paid just to watch one in its entirety at home. Make me drive somewhere, put up with traffic and force me to watch an entire preseason game Clockwork Orange style? That’ll cost a whole lot extra.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
What makes you think the starters will practice? Just as many if not more guys get hurt in practice than in the pre season games so even if its just a practice why risk the starters? Seems to me most teams bring them in to shake off the rust, learn about any changes, make sure they are still in playing shape and introduce them to the new guys. All these things happen in the first couple of weeks so I don't see them risking Nuk, Watt or Watson just for a little extra practice.

Watson, Nuk, Watt, Aaron Rodgers all had plenty of snaps in their scrimmages this past week. Why would they not do it for a scrimmage in the stadium?

Texansballer74

The Marine
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-training-camp-tracker-jj-watt-clashes-with-lions-coach-matt-patricia-at-joint-practice-173617566.html Follow all the action from around the NFL's training camps right here.

J.J. Watt, Matt Patricia exchange ‘pleasantries’
Texans star J.J. Watt was showing off some serious moves in a joint practice with the Detroit Lions, and it apparently got to be too much for Lions coach Matt Patricia.

After burning tackle Rick Wagner and “sacking” Matthew Stafford during a drill, the defensive end had some words with Patricia that can’t be printed.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-training-camp-tracker-jj-watt-clashes-with-lions-coach-matt-patricia-at-joint-practice-173617566.html Follow all the action from around the NFL's training camps right here.

Texans star J.J. Watt was showing off some serious moves in a joint practice with the Detroit Lions, and it apparently got to be too much for Lions coach Matt Patricia.

After burning tackle Rick Wagner and “sacking” Matthew Stafford during a drill, the defensive end had some words with Patricia that can’t be printed.
Lol think that might be a new record, usually other teams coaches wait till at least the season starts before getting pissed how Watt makes their lines looks like paper walls.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Wuuuuuittttt? I didn't think Cap'n Merica used those words.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
It's game day!
Time to get ready for some Texans football.
I guess we'll see how much the starters play tonight. Maybe a couple of series or as much as a quarter. Who knows with O'Brien calling the shots. The offensive line needs to play together and learn how to protect Watson. That's absolutely imperative. Let's see some progress tonight. The secondary looks to be shaping up so hopefully the defense can tighten up and slow the opposing offense. Let's watch and see how the Texans play tonight.
Win or not, the Texans have to get better.
Go Texans!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It's game day!
I guess we'll see how much the starters play tonight. Maybe a couple of series or as much as a quarter. Who knows with O'Brien calling the shots. The offensive line needs to play together and learn how to protect Watson. That's absolutely imperative. Let's see some progress tonight. The secondary looks to be shaping up so hopefully the defense can tighten up and slow the opposing offense. Let's watch and see how the Texans play tonight.
Go Texans!
With 2 joint practices during the week, I doubt we see much of 1-53, and even less of 1-22. And that's not an OB thing, that's just how it is in the NFL now when most of the work gets done in the scrimmages. Now the actual game has even less meaning than it did before.

The Texans could go out tonight and win 40-0, or lose 40-0, and neither will tell you a damn thing about where they are because 70% or better of the snaps are going to guys who won't have an NFL job 2 weeks from today.

We get to watch 54-90 playing about 3 quarters giving us very little clue of any progress the team is or isn't making. It's even hard to analyze individual play because it's 54-90 playing against 54-90.

So yeah, it's absolutely imperative the o-line learns to play together to protect Watson, and the defense needs to tighten up and slow down opposing offenses, but you're not going to find the progress of any of that in this game.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Still looking for a diamond in the rough.. I saw none in the GB game. Be nice to find someone who can generate a pass rush. Doesn't look like any of this years free agent signees will step up.

Keeping expectations low for the coming season. Not buying in like past seasons.

Dejaview

All Pro
It's game day!
Go Texans!
This ability to challenge a non-called penalty is going to be a nightmare. I HATE this bs rule. Wonder, btw, if DHop will be targeted? Only good news is there is a price to pay if you challenge and lose.

badboy

Hall of Fame
While Clowney sits out, the fourth-year Scarlett has elevated from the second-string into a starting role. In doing so, he’s made an impression on head coach Bill O’Brien.
During his first three seasons with the Texans, Houston utilization of Scarlett has been as a special teamer and rotational outside linebacker behind Clowney and Whitney Mercilus.

In the same three-year span, he’s recorded 523 defensive snaps and 520 on special teams. In Said O’Brien: “He does a lot of different jobs for us, outside backer, special teams. He’s a leader, smart player. He’s a really good guy to have on the team.” The last two seasons, Scarlett has started eight games; recording two sacks, 44 combined tackles, six for a loss, and five QB hits in the process. Scarlett made correct plays whether rushing the passer or playing in coverage. The latter being a key to an outside linebacker’s game no matter if he’s in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme.
Now if he can stay healthy-- https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/15/texans-olb-brennan-scarlett-is-taking-advantage-of-starting-in-training-camp/?utm_source=texanswire&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos2headline