Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pre-season 8/9/2013, Game 1 vs Vikings: Top 5 things you are interested in seeing?

Because ABC13KTRK sucks hairy camel balls, this is abbreviated...

Earl +++
Roc --
Johnson + quick burst
Newton +
White ---
Keo ++
Bullock +++--
Jefferson -
Mays -
Swearinger -
Pleasant +--
Hopkins +
Jean -+-
Wood +
Byrne +
McClain ++
Griffin +-+
Quessenberry +
Karim ++

How did Quessenberry and the LB's look?

I thought Qberry did very well. He was solid on most plays, had a couple that made me say Wow, and made a couple mistakes.

LB - Willie Jefferson is just a tough guy to handle. I think he'd be a good situational pass rusher. Brooks Reed was getting good penetration early. None of the others really stood out, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Super quick hitting impressions -

1) ABC 13 sucks giant balls and not just because of the outage

2) Case Keenum > TJ Yates

3) DJ is a rookie. Upside but lots to learn

4) OTOH, #10 ready to ball now. #superstar in making

5) Earl Mitchell wrecked shop

6) Willie Jefferson better make this team. #freak

7) Really think C Wood fits our offense best. Reminded me of a young Foster. Other RB's also looked good, but Wood just "fits". Tough cuts

8) Running game MUCH better than last preseason

9) Roc was horrible

10) AJ Bouye > Roc C.

11) Joe Marciano has naked pics of Kubiak in bed with Toro

12) Loving Dline depth. Saw lots of good play by backups

13) Slow to, fast thru. Deals and games. :gun:

14) The end.

I have to agree with every single one of your points. Great post.

I thought Qberry did very well. He was solid on most plays, had a couple that made me say Wow, and made a couple mistakes.

LB - Willie Jefferson is just a tough guy to handle. I think he'd be a good situational pass rusher. Brooks Reed was getting good penetration early. None of the others really stood out, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Thanks

MSR

Why is Alec Lemon our 4th string WR even though he catches everything?
Why did Channel 13 spell his name "Lemmon" on a graphic. Because they're Channel 13, of course.

Case consistently smoothly hands off.......makes it hard to know who comes out of it with the ball.
And he used his legs wisely........without a single run.
Keenum is reminding me of Doug Flutie. Fundamentally sound and very aware. I think Keenum has physical limitations, but he looks like a legit NFL backup, at least.

ABC13 Should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Just turbble service! Especially for those of us that wanted or needed to see things by certain players and see certain things that we were excited about seeing.

Channel 13 fell WAY SHORT!
Really? Seemed like a typical Channel 13 amateur broadcast that we've seen for 12 seasons now. Did you notice the promo they ran after the game, "The only Houston station with live coverage from Green Bay on Vince Young!". I would hope so.

Hell he even threw one Jean could catch.
Which didn't seem possible at one point.

That's the least ch 13 could do with replaying the game commercial free tomorrow at 7.
We can play a drinking game, taking a shot everytime Meyers or Tillman gets a Texans name wrong. Nevermind, that's a sure visit to the ER for alcohol poisoning.

KTRK just said they were gonna rebroadcast the game "in it's entirety" (without the cr@ptastic drops in video) tomorrow at 7 pm and apologized for the tech difficulties.

We in Austin will get nothing and like it...lol. NFLN at 11:00pm tomorrow, at least.

I only got to listen to the game tonite on Sirius but I came away with a mixed bag of opinions. We had ~8 starters that didn't suit up, so it's hard to say where the team really is.

I'm going to do what I always do: wait until the 3rd PS game to form any real opinions. For week 1 of PS, though, I really liked what I heard about Keenum, Mitchell, Hopkins, Graham and Wood. D. Johnson might make a pretty good PR.

I'm not sold on Bullock, Yates, Jean, Maehl, Roc, etc. I'm slowly getting on a "trade Tate while you can" bandwagon. He's just not getting it done. Right now, I'd rather see Wood in his spot and see what D. Johnson can do behind a better OL. He's a small, change of pace, back and I'd like to see a sampling of him behind the 1's in a game situation. Tate reminds me of McFadden, only without as much talent. You can't win $h!t from a stationary bike or the trainer's room.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Keenum can do if he does swap spots with Yates.

I disagree with Gafftop on rotating QB's. I'd rather see exactly what I heard tonight: A QB getting consecutive series with the same players so the QB can get comfortable. If they alternate, there's no continuity and it only makes it harder to judge apples to apples, IMHO. Let Keenum play with the same group next week and see what he does. I bet we have a full blown back up QB controversy and that ain't a bad thing to have.

QB: Going into this, I wasn't expecting the race between TJ and Keenum to be very close. AFTER this, I'm looking for room on the Case Keenum bandwagon.

RB: I thought Dennis Johnson was OK. I was impressed with the ability of a guy that short to block as well as he did. To me, he seemed impatient and like he wasn't letting the play develop. Cierre Wood, a guy I wasn't expecting much from, looked pretty darn good. Deji Karim... eh... maybe. Ray Graham... yeah... maybe. The fight for that 3rd RB spot is going to be vicious.

WR: I'm frustrated with Martin and Jean. They're both way too inconsistent. Hopkins... wow. He made one mistake but he came back and made up for it in a big way. Nobody else really stood out.

TE: I was impressed by Griffin. He made some mistakes (like that clip) but overall, I thought he did a damned fine job for his first NFL experience. GG looked good, too.

OL: Brooks looked like a monster. I have to go back but I thought Ben Jones did a good job at LG, as did Quessenberry. White was a train-wreck. Harris looked OK at LT in a backup role.

DL: Mitchell. Jeez. Where was this guy last year? If he can play that way for an entire season between Watt and Smith? Holy... Some of the 2nd stringers look like they have potential but they look raw.

LB: It's going to be interesting watching Tuggle, Jefferson, and Davis grow.

DB: Roc Carmichael sucked. Keo played better than I expected. Swearinger's a rookie with a lot to learn; he's got to wrap up. Bouye played well.

ST: Bullock had some kicks making me go... Oh, Yeah! And then, some kicks making me go...
:kubepalm:

Just glad we got real football to talk about again.

Not to beat a dead horse about Channel 13's coverage being horrible, but between that and running back and forth between this computer and the tv I'm going to watch the replay tomorrow before I can give an informed opinion.

Luckily I saw most of Keenum's performance and I really can't imagine what else he could have done to impress. I'm very pleased about that developement. I will be interested to see if Steph has softened her view on Case afer tonight.

Also, from what I could see I was very happy to see TJ seemingly settling into the game after the start he had. Nice job by both, imo.

Tomorrow I will know more.

I have to go back but I thought Ben Jones did a good job at LG, as did Quessenberry.

I wasn't watching Ben Jones specifically, but I seem to recall two plays where he did terribly. That doesn't mean much on its face, but I'd be interested to hear what you or anyone else saw after a thorough review.

I disagree with Gafftop on rotating QB's. I'd rather see exactly what I heard tonight: A QB getting consecutive series with the same players so the QB can get comfortable. If they alternate, there's no continuity and it only makes it harder to judge apples to apples, IMHO. Let Keenum play with the same group next week and see what he does. I bet we have a full blown back up QB controversy and that ain't a bad thing to have.

I would welcome the swap just to see how Case handles going against the 2's. If he really has a chance to be the backup, that puts him one play away from going against 1's. I'd like to see how he handles a little stronger competition than 3's and 4's like he did tonight. Not as concerned with who he's throwing to, well, unless it's those 3's and 4's who were dropping his passes.

Dennis Johnson: His nerves obstructed the vision he was reported to display in practice. He danced instead of one-cutting. He needs to watch some tape and settle down.

Cierre Wood: He demonstrated a clear understanding of one cut running through zone blocking. If he stays consistent, he has the advantage in winning the #3 spot.

Earl Mitchell: This is the Earl that I've been waiting to see for the past three years. He's always had the physical ability. From year one, Antonio Smith said that he is the fastest D-lineman on the team. Maybe the secret ingredients were confidence and opportunity.

Keenum: He played like I expected him to after a year of learning the playbook. He sees the field like a vet, he commands his offense, he can make a play out of nothing, and he has a release that's as fast as Aaron Rodgers. He demonstrates a QB instinct that Yates does not possess. This guy's a baller. If you're not convinced now, wait until next week.

Willie Jefferson: Raw, gifted, exciting. I expect him to make the roster, but I won't expect much impact until late in the season.

Lestar Jean: I've always rooted for this kid. But it appears his train departs on 8/31.

Brandon Brooks: An immovable force. He's the key to our running game and red zone offense this season.

Swearinger: He should be very thankful that he learned his lesson this early in his rookie season. No rookie should ever go into camp saying, "I feel like a one or two year vet already." Confidence is good, but delusion benefits no one. Now that he's been pulled closer to earth, his preseason experiences will count for more.

Griffin: This guy's a steal. He made a really dumb illegal block, but he has a promising future on this team.

Bouye: Another steal. I'm excited to think how far he could progress in two years.

Pleasant: Inexcusable penalty when you're trying to win a job. Like farting in a job interview.

Lemon: If he doesn't make the roster, neither does Jean.

Ray Graham: I've been intrigued with this kid since we got him. Not much power, but big play ability. He can cut laterally like no one I've seen. I'm watching for him in Miami.

I wasn't watching Ben Jones specifically, but I seem to recall two plays where he did terribly. That doesn't mean much on its face, but I'd be interested to hear what you or anyone else saw after a thorough review.

I went back and watched the first 4 series (Ben Jones for 3 and Quessenberry for 1).

And you're right.

I saw 3 plays where Jones could have done better but only 1 was an epic fail. On one run play, he was trying to get to the 2nd level and he fell down without really getting on anyone. On one pass play, there was a stunt -- Dennis Johnson took one guy and Jones whiffed on the second. On another run play, he got totally blown up. For most of the plays, I thought he did well but he's got to clean up those screw-ups.

In that series that ended up with the TD to Nuk, Quessenberry looked better in the run game than Jones. Someone who knows line play better than I do should probably verify that. He had one whiff in pass pro that wasn't earth shattering and he got beat once by a swim move but Yates got the ball out before it was an issue.

Dennis Johnson pro day 4.47 forty @ 5'6" 196 lbs.
versus Vikings: 7 for 11 @ 1.6 per carry. 13 longest.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/dennis-johnson?id=2539936

Cierre Wood pro day 4.52 forty @ 5'11" 213 lbs

versus Vikings 10 for 59 yds @ 5.9 per carry. Longest 20.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330809016

Night & day: That was the difference between Wood & Johnson tonight. DJ had that one nice run but he was stuffed in the backfield the majority of the time. Wood was consistent and reliable. It's only one game, but Wood impressed me the most.

Case Keenum fanboys are going to be absolutely insufferable after this :kitten:
I like what I see from him. I'm not rabid like some of the other guys in support of him, but I love the progression. He looks comfortable, and that makes me comfortable.

disclaimer.. long post

You should of been posting here after the 2006 draft.. just for perspective purposes on what a rabid fanboy is. I'm not even a "Case Keenum fanboy". I'm a UT fan.. one of the very few who recognized that while being one of the greatest college athletes/QBs in NCAA history (and he was/is).. he would be a colossal failure in the NFL. So I don't see a "Case Keenum fanboy" vibe from others on this board. At this point Case Keenum has backed up every thing they said.

He's basically Rocky and has been Rocky his entire life.. the undersized, no talent underdog who was never highly recruited, never given a high grade, or even much of a chance at not just the next level, but any level.. yet all he does is just keeps beating those people ahead of him up and beating those people out of their job and Yates is next (and NO, he doesn't have a long way to go to do it either.. and this is coming from someone who was high on Yates a few short seasons ago)

Without even mentioning the throws or progressions he made tonight, the most impressive thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet happened pre snap. The play.. (I'll have to watch the rebroadcast to give you the specific down) where a receiver went in motion and set in the wrong spot on the right side of Case.. Case instantly noticed that the guy didn't know WTF was up and instructed him where to go and even pointed to where exactly where he needed to be (Yates does not make that play).. that told me he knows where everybody has to be on any given play and I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed by his teammates.. which breeds respect.

That told me that regardless of being a UDFA practice squad player, in his second year this guy has already mastered a very difficult offensive system.. A system that the #10 ovrl 2006 Heisman trophy winner admittedly had trouble with and went on record with saying it was very difficult. That told me that while despite being undrafted and buried on the PS, this guy prepared like a starter and studied his butt off.

Yates hasn't progressed AT ALL from that rookie season. Yates has more talent.. but lacks the skills. Talent is god given.. Skills are learned and Yates is getting his ass handed to him from a 2nd year UDFA in the "skills" department and in the mental aspect of the game... a part of the game where Keenum is now embarrassingly heads and shoulders ahead of Yates.

Just in the limited broadcast (thanks 13) I saw Yates overthrow multiple receivers.. saw him take multiple unnecessary sacks.. and saw his passes get tipped multiple times.. also saw him go to the wrong reads multiple times.. yet he does have a stronger arm. :rolleyes: In today's game, the way they protect the QB and bend rules towards the offense, a QB like Keenum can have success. I'm not calling him the future, but if you believe that the most important position in the NFL is the starting QB position and prescribe to the 2nd most important position in the backup QB position, then Keenum is the guy.. a guy who Kubiak blatantly opened up more of his playbook and felt more comfortable with once he came into the game... it was obvious.

Those who think Case has a long ways to go before knocking Yates off are off their rocker. Before the game even started the guy who drafted Yates said it was a battle and even said he looked forward to watching it, the way Kubiak jumped Case's ass on that time out call (don't be scared when I yell at you.. be scared when I stop talking to you) said it was a battle, the way the entire team calmed the hell down once he took the field told me it was a heated battle, and the camera sideline shot of Yates with his Oh **** face when Case started moving this team/offense reassured me, yes.. we have a battle on our hands.

P.S.

If there are any typos. Please notify me when I'm sober. :)

Last edited:
Case Keenum fanboys are going to be absolutely insufferable after this :kitten:
I like what I see from him. I'm not rabid like some of the other guys in support of him, but I love the progression. He looks comfortable, and that makes me comfortable.

Yeah, I missed it too. He's a short throw touch passer like leinhart is. He'll never be able to threaten a team who clouds the middle or forces throws outside the numbers. I was at practice a couple of days ago and its clear his lack of arm pop vs yates in terms of velocity and energy. His inability to stretch the field in any sort of way doesn't blow my skirt up. Oh well,carry on

And those two sound like they had just found out they were doing a Texan game together earlier in the week. So they spent their time cramming and getting to know each other. I hate Comcast, but I'd rather have watched the game on their channel. 13 is terrible...awful. They should be ashamed and I hope they don't get any more Texan games ever. Let someone else pick them up and see what they can do with them. That was embarrassing.

And those two sound like they had just found out they were doing a Texan game together earlier in the week. So they spent their time cramming and getting to know each other. I hate Comcast, but I'd rather have watched the game on their channel. 13 is terrible...awful. They should be ashamed and I hope they don't get any more Texan games ever. Let someone else pick them up and see what they can do with them. That was embarrassing.

Before rewatching your taped game, you can desensitize yourself by staring at this for 15 minutes..........:cool:

_PXLATE.GIF

Yeah, I missed it too. He's a short throw touch passer like leinhart is. He'll never be able to threaten a team who clouds the middle or forces throws outside the numbers. I was at practice a couple of days ago and its clear his lack of arm pop vs yates in terms of velocity and energy. His inability to stretch the field in any sort of way doesn't blow my skirt up. Oh well,carry on
Keenum reminds me more of Drew Brees than anyone else. Ya know, there's a former NFL QB that didn't have a lazer rocket gun of an arm that made out pretty good: Joe Montana.

Now don't get your skirt all twisted up. I'm not comparing Keenum to Brees or Montana in any other way than what scouts thought of them pre-draft. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the kid has shown some similarities, such as very good accuracy on short passes (Montana made it to the HOF in an offense very similar to the one the Texans run). I know: Montana had Bill Walsh as HC, Rice and Taylor as receivers, etc. Definitely not apples to apples, but you get the idea.

I'll take his intangibles over Yates' arm and height at this point. If he shows up next week, with the 1's and 2's, like he did this week, with the 2's and 3's, I'd say the back up job is his to lose.
:worldpeace:

From what I saw last night.

I'm going to go ahead & admit I was wrong about what our coaches are thinking about our Offensive Guards. I thought they were letting Brooks start at RG, while Ben Jones plays center on the second team, but once regular season starts, they would put Jones back at RG & start Brooks at LG in place of Wade Smith.

After seeing Ben Jones start at LG.... I feel they see Brooks as a RG & he'll be a RG from here on out. LG though, no way they see Ben Jones as a LG, even though he didn't look foolish yesterday, he's not a LG. Quiz on the other hand may be & that's most likely our future at the position, since he didn't play any at RT. The future at RT is either Newton, or Williams at this time. Unless Harris has a Briseil like fight left in him I don't think he's really in the picture. I didn't watch much of Harris, because I was focused on other things.

DeAndre.... They're not blowing smoke about that guy, he's the real deal.
Willie Jefferson... Real deal
Earl Mitchell... real deal
DJ Swearinger.... still a rookie
Crick..... I thought I'd see him more in the 5 tech, but he played mostly at the 3 tech maybe they see him more as an Antonio replacement/insurance policy. Jamison was at the 5 & I wasn't as impressed as I had been in the past with him (another UDFA).
Ryan Griffin.... very quite camp.... he made enough noise that he got my attention. I wasn't even thinking about him before the game.
Cierra(sp) Wood & Dj Kareem (sp) were nice surprises.

QB:

Eyeball wise, Keenum "looked" better than Schaub. No way I'm going to believe he's better than Schaub. So just because he "looked" better than Yates, I don't think he was better than Yates & still do not believe there is any "competition" for the #2 spot.

Even if Yates is the second QB in the next game.... won't change my mind. He needs to get as much NFL experience as possible now, because he won't be getting QB2 snaps during the regular season, but if we need him (& there's a really good chance that we're going to need him) he needs to be as prepared as Yates was 2 years ago if not more.

Yates made one stupid mistake & that was when he held on to the ball & took a sack. Other than that, he ran the offense the way it was supposed to be ran, he threw the balls he was supposed to throw..... maybe some where high, maybe he needed some time to settle down, but that's part of the game. He worked through it & turned in a decent game when it was all said & done.

Keenum... The head coach was cussing him during the game. Not just any head coach, emotionless Gary on the sideline head coach. Remember when he stopped the play because they weren't lined up right? It was a few plays after that (maybe even the next series) that Case corrected Lemon on where he was supposed to be. I assume Gary was upset that Case was going to snap the ball without correcting whoever was wrong the first time & he "fixed" that the second.

For the most part, the ball is coming out on time when Yates was playing, running Kubiak's offens the way Kubiak wants it ran. Not so much with Keenum. Some of that adlibing was because his receivers didn't do their job, some of it was because he didn't do his. Keenum will have to start running this offense closer to the way Kubiak wants it ran if he's going to see the field, or the two QBs ahead of him will have to get hurt.

This doesn't mean I don't think Case can be a good QB. This doesn't mean that I think Tj is a better QB than Case..... or that Schaub is better than Case. But from what I saw, there's no doubt in my mind Kubiak trusts Schaub & Yates with 100% of the play book, not so much with Case Keenum.

Not to beat a dead horse about Channel 13's coverage being horrible, but between that and running back and forth between this computer and the tv I'm going to watch the replay tomorrow before I can give an informed opinion.

Luckily I saw most of Keenum's performance and I really can't imagine what else he could have done to impress. I'm very pleased about that developement. I will be interested to see if Steph has softened her view on Case afer tonight.

Also, from what I could see I was very happy to see TJ seemingly settling into the game after the start he had. Nice job by both, imo.

Tomorrow I will know more.

I could care less what Steph thinks. She'll downplay Case and find some flaw. She always has. And when Case has an off day, she'll have a field day. Regardless what anyone thinks of Keenum, he did his homework and it shows but he still needs lots of NFL experience. His IQ and vision are better than Schaub and Yates.

I could care less what Steph thinks. She'll downplay Case and find some flaw. She always has. And when Case has an off day, she'll have a field day. Regardless what anyone thinks of Keenum, he did his homework and it shows but he still needs lots of NFL experience. His IQ and vision are better than Schaub and Yates.

C'mon man! He hasn't even played a down of regular season NFL and your throwing that out there? He may have potential but until his feet are held to the fire, no one will ever really know.

I could care less what Steph thinks. She'll downplay Case and find some flaw. She always has.
l would give her a chance to review the game before assuming what her take on Keenum is. He had a good game and I think she will acknowledge that.

On the particular play that ended with the TD to Nuk, I thought Qberry showed very well. Go watch that particular play if you don't recall.

That play was good. The play before, the one where Nuk dropped the ball, QBerry ended up on his ass because of a spin move. Luckily, Yates got the ball out before that was a problem.

Due to the technical difficulties, ABC-13/KTRK will be rebroadcasting last night's game in its entirety to the Houston market at 7 p.m. CT.

Per Texans Facebook page

C'mon man! He hasn't even played a down of regular season NFL and your throwing that out there? He may have potential but until his feet are held to the fire, no one will ever really know.

Yeah, I'm as big a fan of Case as anybody but he was going up against 3rd and 4th team competition last night. That's why I want to see him play with the 2's next week. If that works out well, then we've got a backup QB controversy.

Again, this coming from a huge Case fan and also someone who is not very impressed at all with T.J.

I'm watching on NFL.com's preseason ticket. 20 bucks for every preseason game.

Worth it to me because I haven't missed a second of it. :D

I kind of knew that Randy Bullock would miss =/ Wasn't his nickname at Texas A&M like "chubster" or something?

Where do you live Nate? I live in the Golden Triangle and it's blacked out here. This is the first season PS has been broacast here and wouldn't you know it, just all pink and green.

I'm pissed off and the wife is threatening to put me in 'Time Out'.

FML!

Currently watching the game...some things I'm seeing:

Dennis Johnson looks like Slaton to me. Fast, can break some tackles. Poor, poor vision. Poor feel for carrying the ball, but if they get some open space can go a long way.

I think swearinger's mistake on the long TD by my guy Zach line is correctible. Keep your head up, get your head across. It was a good break on the ball carrier, but he just missed the tackle on the guy. He was trying to hit the guy with some force, but he was attempting to wrap up.

Bullocks leg strength seems fine on kick offs. I need to see the field goal he missed.

Yates looks ok to me. Didn't like the batted balls, but he has a good handle on what we're doing.

Hopkins is going to make some plays this year.

LoL...trevardo getting bullied. I laugh, but it's sad.

Trevardo got pulled after getting bullied about 15 yards down field.

Bouye flashes some skill. Back up DLine is going to be tough to decipher. All those guys flashed to me.

Geez, Dennis Johnson is not going to get it done. Someone else should move up the depth chart. He should be the last RB because he was the worst.

Newton looked good. I like Brandon brooks. Brooks reed looks quicker to me.

I k ow pleasant made the special teams mistake, but I'd prefer him over keo. He's a better athlete and to me he looks better playing safety.

Roc Carmichael had a bad game.

Willie dropped back into coverage quite a bit.

Braman and trevardo rushing from the edges in a passing situation...they exploded off the line. I liked that. A lot. It ended up being a screen, but just the burst they had off the line was nice to see.

Keyshawn Martin still looks scared to catch the ball in traffic.

Broadcast is still garbage.

Garrett grahm is nice. I think he could be in for a breakout season. Lestar Jean drops a catch in his grill. He's a body catcher. Catches the next one.

Bullock can make the 54 yarder I think. A bit less trajectory. It was dead on the money, but was just a bit short.

1st half over. Good showing for the team overall. Of course there are issues and mistakes to get worked out. Besides the kicking, special teams looks as bad as it did last year. Maybe a bit worse. Yates looked pretty good overall. I'm going to have to see what this keenum fuss is about now, because I thought Yates was a plus.

Back