Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Potential Free Agents

How the hell am I supposed to relax when we have Rick Smith as our GM. What has he done the past couple seasons to give you any reasonable hope that he knows what he is doing?

We had GLARING HOLES this past season. We have steadily LOST TALENT since 2011. Other than 2011, when have the Texans ever made good moves during free agency? We are always a step behind and too slow. The Texans are truly an infuriating franchise to root for. Thank God for the Rockets.
drafted J.J. Watt, Brian Cushing, Duane Brown

And just a couple of years ago the Rockets were crap too.

Let's just see how it all unfolds.

I have seen how it unfolds the past 8 years. 2 playoff appearances. That's it. That is poor to mediocre track record at best. I was thinking like y'all are here last offseason. I am not fooling myself again with this franchise.

I have seen how it unfolds the past 8 years. 2 playoff appearances. That's it. That is poor to mediocre track record at best. I was thinking like y'all are here last offseason. I am not fooling myself again with this franchise.

Sounds like a man wising up to me.

So, are the Texans so cash-strapped that they can't even make a run at second-tier players like Lamar Woodley, Tyson Jackson, or Brandon Spikes?

D-Ware or Revis weren't ever coming obviously, but I was hoping for some average free agents to fill some holes. Aren't there only two defensive linemen on the roster? Cam Thomas and Ziggy Hood are out there.

so i thought the plan was to pick up 3 starters in fa and 2-3 starters in the draft.
what are we doing? maybe were planning on getting 6 starters in the draft?:pinned:

Lol do you understand why a Houston nfl football franchise has never made an appearance in the super bowl? All the guys you mentioned being drafted what kind of impact does that make on a team like the Texans? They suck at qb and have way bigger holes at other more important positions. Just like last offseason while everyone else is getting better we do nothing at all... then we expect to be successful? This is not New England were there is a great qb in a winning system and franchise this is the Houston Texans where the owner just want to give the fans false hope to keep the seats filled. I think more people like myself are truly starting to realize this. So go enjoy the rodeo events because that is all Bob McNair is focused on right now...

oh, and HOW the F is denver doing what they are doing in FA?

They are taking risk doing whatever it takes to have the best roster possible. Texans must be preparing to pay JJ Watt only... we have made a lot of mistakes obviously but not signing one big impact free agent is unacceptable for the situation we are in right now.

NT Cam Thomas (Chargers)
NT Terrance Cody (Ravens)
ILB Brandon Spikes (Pats)
CB/KR Javier Arenas (KC)

Would this be realistic with the Texans cap?

Raji ain't exactly lighting the market on fire, but he would cost as much as the four above combined.

In addition to Steve Smith I hope the Texans take a look at Brandon Browner.

Browner should be relatively inexpensive considering his 4 game suspension. He's supposedly visiting the Redskins (Politically incorrect) today. I don't have a link to this though.

What's the point in signing free agents if you aren't going to compete this year? The only people we have any business signing are offensive players to help protect our new QB. Get a RT for cheap once the first wave of free agents has passed, then look at a blocking TE for cheap, and a backup RB that can pass protect well.

What's the point in signing free agents if you aren't going to compete this year? The only people we have any business signing are offensive players to help protect our new QB. Get a RT for cheap once the first wave of free agents has passed, then look at a blocking TE for cheap, and a backup RB that can pass protect well.

They have to fill out the roster and it isn't going to all be through the draft. But I agree generally which is why I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals. Spikes is another one. I expect them to look at some of the non sexy but still upgrades at RT as well.

They have to fill out the roster and it isn't going to all be through the draft. But I agree generally which is why I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals. Spikes is another one.

You think Steve Smith and Brandon Browner will be cheap for us? I don't. I could see either of them taking a bit less money to be on a team like NE, Denver or SF because they want to be on a contender. But if they are coming to Houston, they are coming because we bid the highest. We might be able to snag some "prove-it" 1 year guys, but they won't be much of a factor given our outlook.

You think Steve Smith and Brandon Browner will be cheap for us? I don't. I could see either of them taking a bit less money to be on a team like NE, Denver or SF because they want to be on a contender. But if they are coming to Houston, they are coming because we bid the highest. We might be able to snag some "prove-it" 1 year guys, but they won't be much of a factor given our outlook.

I said nothing to indicate cheaper for us. I don't think either one is going to get an expensive contract from anyone. Steve Smith is about to be 35 and is going to get his 1st non #1 contract. Browner is 29 and coming off an eight game suspension. His market value will be well below his talent level. Spikes is a two down LB which isn't a problem for us if Cushing is healthy and is coming off attitude problem reports. He falls in the prove it category and would be a large upgrade for us.

I said nothing to indicate cheaper for us. I don't think either one is going to get an expensive contract from anyone. Steve Smith is about to be 35 and is going to get his 1st non #1 contract. Browner is 29 and coming off an eight game suspension. His market value will be well below his talent level. Spikes is a two down LB which isn't a problem for us if Cushing is healthy and is coming off attitude problem reports. He falls in the prove it category and would be a large upgrade for us.

You said "I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals." I'm saying I don't think SS or BB will be cheap for the Texans. We don't have much money to play with right now, and I doubt Steve Smith will come here unless we are the highest bidder. I think Smith will get an offer of about 5m APY for a couple years from a contender. I don't think he would choose the Texans unless we make a much higher offer in the 7m+ range.

Browner might come here if the Texans are interested, but I highly doubt that he passes McNair's character test. New regime though, so who knows. I'd like to have him for sure.

Spikes is definitely an option because he's in our price range. He will probably get some offers for 1.5 - 2m APY, and that's the kind of money we can spend.

There's obviously two different camps in this thread.

1) Those that think we can still compete for the SB next season, so we need to be signing starters in FA... instead of losing them.

2) We're not going anywhere next season, so focus on developing young guys... and make sure we have the cap space to lock up Watt for a long time.

Depending on which camp you sit, you're either pissed or ok with how FA has gone thus far.

I think it depends on what kind of window you're looking at. Signing Demarcus Ware for 3 years doesn't make sense for us, because most believe we won't be a Super Bowl contender for 3 or 4 years.

But if they can get a starting RT for $5M/yr for the next 4 or 5 years.... why not? Or even a smart ILB to play next to Cushing & provide a viable option if Cushing isn't who we need him to be.

I appear to be in the minority. My goal is to be the next 2-14 team to go 11-5. Our schedule favors it, not just the SOS, but the pedigree of the teams we'll be facing.

I know we've got holes all over the team & the biggest question mark at QB. But we're two years removed from scoring 26 ppg & last year we were still in the top 7 for yards gained. I believe we've got 3/5ths of our OL figured out, put some big bodies up there that can play & we've got a good shot at 30ppg.

Not easy to do, but I think we can make a good run at it & get into the play offs.

They have to fill out the roster and it isn't going to all be through the draft. But I agree generally which is why I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals. Spikes is another one. I expect them to look at some of the non sexy but still upgrades at RT as well.

I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but, once Cassel resigned with the Vikings, RT should have gone to the top of our list of veteran FA's to sign. We should've been looking to sign one of the best young players available for that position, even if it cost the lions share of our FA cap money. There were several very good RT's available this year. Do we really won't to protect our franchise QB (once we find him) with a 2nd tier RT? Maybe I'm a simple minded man, but that seems to me to be the most obvious answer. Or, since he hasn't been waived, have the new coaches found the flaw in Newton's game & feel they can fix it? I just don't understand the front offices thinking.

Maybe I should just go :fishing: & not come back until preseason.:)

You said "I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals." I'm saying I don't think SS or BB will be cheap for the Texans. We don't have much money to play with right now, and I doubt Steve Smith will come here unless we are the highest bidder. I think Smith will get an offer of about 5m APY for a couple years from a contender. I don't think he would choose the Texans unless we make a much higher offer in the 7m+ range.

I think your numbers are too high. He is coming off a contract as #1 which averaged $7.5 mil per year. He was due $4 mil this year and was cut...and is still going to receive $3 mil from them no matter what contract he signs. They are paying $3 mil cash and $2 mil in additional cap hit to get rid of him. I think there are only a couple teams like Seattle who just lost Tate who he will offer any significant discount to (maybe NE if they have any cap left after Revis). Other than that it is all highest bidder. I think his highest bidder market is around $4 mil. 32 year old Wes Welker signed for $6 mil/yr.

Browner might come here if the Texans are interested, but I highly doubt that he passes McNair's character test. New regime though, so who knows. I'd like to have him for sure.

I have always believed the "Texan's worthy" stuff was more fan mythology rather than reality.

I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but, once Cassel resigned with the Vikings, RT should have gone to the top of our list of veteran FA's to sign. We should've been looking to sign one of the best young players available for that position, even if it cost the lions share of our FA cap money. There were several very good RT's available this year. Do we really won't to protect our franchise QB (once we find him) with a 2nd tier RT?

It isn't good policy to force priority of needs without consideration for what is available. I mentioned RT as something to look for in free agency. That doesn't mean willy nilly fling money. We can live with a 7 rated guy for $3 mil/yr if the 8 rated guy wants $8 mil/yr. Either one is a huge upgrade on a 1 rated guy.

I prefer to think that the one year where the clock struck midnight on Schaub and turned the whole season into a pumpkin is the outlier.

Capers/Casserly regime took this team from expansion to almost .500 in four years before their 2-14 season.

Smith/Kubiak regime takes this team back to .500 and on to division winner with playoff appearances before their 2-14 season.

In both cases, there was clear solid progression followed by one horrible season dictated in large part by awful QB play.

What exactly about the Smith/OB regime makes you think they won't get this team back to a division winner and on to a SB contender?

I think it depends on what kind of window you're looking at. Signing Demarcus Ware for 3 years doesn't make sense for us, because most believe we won't be a Super Bowl contender for 3 or 4 years.

But if they can get a starting RT for $5M/yr for the next 4 or 5 years.... why not? Or even a smart ILB to play next to Cushing & provide a viable option if Cushing isn't who we need him to be.

I appear to be in the minority. My goal is to be the next 2-14 team to go 11-5. Our schedule favors it, not just the SOS, but the pedigree of the teams we'll be facing.

I know we've got holes all over the team & the biggest question mark at QB. But we're two years removed from scoring 26 ppg & last year we were still in the top 7 for yards gained. I believe we've got 3/5ths of our OL figured out, put some big bodies up there that can play & we've got a good shot at 30ppg.

Not easy to do, but I think we can make a good run at it & get into the play offs.

As I said, a RT makes sense because we will have a new QB from the 2014 draft coming. We need to keep him protected and ensure we don't wind up with another David Carr. We should be focusing on how to make our new QB successful, so that we can build around him for the future. A TE makes sense too, but I see Graham has re-signed. Could still use another. Just build around that QB and worry about 2015.

The biggest turnaround in NFL history was the 1998 Rams who got Kurt Warner after going 4-12, and then won the 99 Super Bowl. No team who won less than 4 games the previous season has ever made it to the Super Bowl. I don't think the Texans are in position to change that stat, so let's be smart and build for the future.

man i hope your completely wrong. i think we can compete for the division if we get 2 decent starters in fa. ex:spikes ilb, and a decent safety. get brigewater, and a dt starter in the 2nd. we would then just need an average de, te and 3rd cb(possible 3rd rd.)
we can still pick up the average guys in fa.
colts arent that much better than us.

1) Those that think we can still compete for the SB next season, so we need to be signing starters in FA... instead of losing them.

2) We're not going anywhere next season, so focus on developing young guys... and make sure we have the cap space to lock up Watt for a long time.

Depending on which camp you sit, you're either pissed or ok with how FA has gone thus far.

I don't think anyone expects the Super Bowl, but bringing in quality starters (not superstars) should be a priority. At least quality depth, as the team was paper-thin last year.

It might help make the Texans both competitive and watchable, they were neither in 2013.

the afc is not as good as the nfc.
theres the broncos above everyone else, a declining NE. Ind and KC dont scare me. we should be shooting to be a playoff team this year and the field should be opening up by next year.

Texans apparently not on his "preference list."

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 1h

Hmm RT @josephperson: Steve Smith gave Panthers list of 5 teams as trade partners--Dallas, NE, Baltimore, San Diego, Tampa Bay, per source.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Baltimore has emerged as the favorite to land former Panthers WR Steve Smith, per sources.
Patriots and Buccaneers also mentioned.

BinrG-PCYAAKFDK.jpg

man i hope your completely wrong. i think we can compete for the division if we get 2 decent starters in fa. ex:spikes ilb, and a decent safety. get brigewater, and a dt starter in the 2nd. we would then just need an average de, te and 3rd cb(possible 3rd rd.)
we can still pick up the average guys in fa.
colts arent that much better than us.

We currently have 0 DTs under contract. We have 1 DE in Watt, who probably counts as 2 guys, but still... We have a lot of question marks around the defense, Manning and Cushing coming back from injury, can JJo stay healthy, can Mercilus be a productive OLB. There is a lot of uncertainty on that side of the ball. We simply don't have the pieces to be much more than an 8-8 team next year, especially if we are starting a rookie QB.

Now 8-8 or 9-7 might get you a Wild Card berth in the AFC, so there could be some hope there. But I really think this team will be a 6-8 win team next year. Sooo, we need to build for the future with draft picks, and clear capspace for future building opportunities.

As I said, a RT makes sense because we will have a new QB from the 2014 draft coming. We need to keep him protected and ensure we don't wind up with another David Carr. We should be focusing on how to make our new QB successful, so that we can build around him for the future. A TE makes sense too, but I see Graham has re-signed. Could still use another. Just build around that QB and worry about 2015.

The biggest turnaround in NFL history was the 1998 Rams who got Kurt Warner after going 4-12, and then won the 99 Super Bowl. No team who won less than 4 games the previous season has ever made it to the Super Bowl. I don't think the Texans are in position to change that stat, so let's be smart and build for the future.

Sounds good to me. I'm all about building around the QB, even though we don't know who that's going to be. Go overboard on the offensive line, I think, & we'll pick up those 3rd & shorts, 4th & 1s, & score in the red zone, that stopped us from winning most of Keenum's starts.

Let's get Robinson, then Yankey, then Niklas, QB, then Andre Williams...... & win the AFC South.

Any good O Tackles left in FA anyone would like?

Are Breno G and Anthony Collins as good as signed?

I'm all about Zach Strief. Anyone think we can land that dude for a few years?

Then there is still Michael Oher, Eric Winston or maybe even Tyson Clabo. Definitely prefer Strief though.

If we can't get Strief I'm all about D Penn at RT assuming he can be had cheap enough being cut at 30 years old I assume.

Anyone see any details of G Graham's new deal?

If we can't get Strief I'm all about D Penn at RT assuming he can be had cheap enough being cut at 30 years old I assume.

Anyone see any details of G Graham's new deal?

Just read in another thread: 3 years @ $11.25 million. Pretty good deal for a TE that can't run or block and is on the smallish side (per Doc and a few others).

Back