Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Post Game: Texans vs Browns- Riddled by Injuries

About the only thing that was sort of positive is that all the other AFCS teams lost, so our relative position didn't change. Oh, and the Cow patties lost. Always a good day when that happens!

I think the season has exposed the real teams versus the frauds in the AFC. there are five good teams and two that will get in because there are seven playoff spots.

At least it wasn’t Watson that torched us, that would have hurt.

We need depth in the offseason.

Cooper made some amazing catches, take some of those away and this is a totally different game.
I would love to see a stud RB come in here.
They are game changers - look at Henry in his prime.
Zamir White looked like a stud today and ultimately took the game away from the Chiefs.
Oh and another stud WR in case one goes down.

I’m good with 8 wins if it accelerates bringing back a fully healthy team next year. Too many important players out and if they bring them back too prematurely could be disastrous moving forward.

:logo:

I would love to see a stud RB come in here.
They are game changers - look at Henry in his prime.
Zamir White looked like a stud today and ultimately took the game away from the Chiefs.
Oh and another stud WR in case one goes down.
Exactly and a stud cornerback and stud safety and stud Edge rusher and stud interior defensive lineman and a stud left guard Plus one or two stud linebackers who can cover and then I am good.

I keep thinking what if a Bijan Robinson was available this year at our round one pick.

Exactly and a stud cornerback and stud safety and stud Edge rusher and stud interior defensive lineman and a stud left guard Plus one or two stud linebackers who can cover and then I am good.

I keep thinking what if a Bijan Robinson was available this year at our round one pick.
Doubtful all of this can be done in the draft. I'm going to put out a mock next week and would like your feedback.

Doubtful all of this can be done in the draft. I'm going to put out a mock next week and would like your feedback.
Agree on getting not getting it all in draft but FA/ Trades will help. I am adjusting my Christmas mock I wanted to post today. Looking forward to yours. Mine usually reflect what I would do not what I think Texans will do. For example I would probably take a wide receiver 1 in top two rounds but doubt Caserio will.

FA just looks weak for game changers though Danielle Hunter could eliminate a need. Greenard should be back but depending on costs, I'm against that. Derrick Barnett could be an interesting extension and might be a 1 year prove it.

FA Geno Stone as a pure free safety moving Pitre to more of a LB role is interesting.
Stone is not a very good tackler vs run but he battles for the ball in air and often overwhelms his opponent.

I am surprised that we have heard nothing about Texans interest in Sebastián Joseph-Day starting DL cut by Chargers.

Edit: just read again and saw that I had left out Pitre in the sentence discussing Stone. I think Pitre is a free safety with a strong safety mindset that is not working out.

Last edited:
All we are witnessing is how carried this team was with CJ Stroud. They need to beef up their secondary in FA and get Stroud a premium target.

CJ wouldn't be able to carry a team this banged up. It was bad enough with DBs and OL but now it's more.

CJ wouldn't be able to carry a team this banged up. It was bad enough with DBs and OL but now it's more.
I get your point however I would like to have seen CJ with both Noah Brown and Nico collins. Heck I believe he could have even hit Hutchinson on one of his deep routes. I don't want to be taken wrong as I am extremely glad Stroud did not play. As I think we will have a good win against Tennessee sunday, I am hoping Stroud since that one out also.

10-7.

That would be nice but not realistic from solely a draft stand point - not in one draft anyway!
I would feel pretty good about this team if we could add just a couple of studs to both sides of the ball - two from the draft, and two from FA.
Very doable.

I’m good with 8 wins if it accelerates bringing back a fully healthy team next year. Too many important players out and if they bring them back too prematurely could be disastrous moving forward.

:logo:
I feel like we have already come out in front considering Vegas had us at 6.5 wins for the season plus we have our franchise QB to build around now.

My instincts say when you have a guy like Cooper torching you, you put your best corner on him..period. I think you can mix zone and man concepts. One guy plays straight man, everyone else plays zone.

thst said, Demeco knows more about defense in his pinky finger than I do in my entire body…so I will 100% defer to DeMeco on this issue. I’m still 100% in Ryans corner. He’s the right guy for the job and is going to be here for a long time.

Week 16 opponent: Houston Texans
  • Man coverage rank: 23rd (19.7%)
  • Zone coverage rank: 9th (79.7%)

• Houston has allowed an explosive play on 14.6% of zone coverage snaps, which is the ninth-worst rate, and ranks among the 10 worst teams in yards allowed per coverage snap (6.63) and yards per coverage target (8.2) while in zone.
  • Amari Cooper is the one clear Browns wide receiver to consider this week, as he’s the only one to crack the top 50 in fantasy points per route run (0.34), receiving grade (70.7) and yards per route run (2.29) against zone coverage.

My instincts say when you have a guy like Cooper torching you, you put your best corner on him..period. I think you can mix zone and man concepts. One guy plays straight man, everyone else plays zone.
You think the players we had on the field were capable of playing mixed coverages as a unit? You better stay outta Thorn's stash...LOL

thst said, Demeco knows more about defense in his pinky finger than I do in my entire body…so I will 100% defer to DeMeco on this issue. I’m still 100% in Ryans corner. He’s the right guy for the job and is going to be here for a long time.

While not impossible, that gets more assignment screwy especially if the offense uses motion and bunch formations to get the man-to-man corner out of position. Methinks Ryans likes to keep assignments relatively simple.

A hundred ways to skin a cat & all that.

Demeco benched a member of the secondary. So it tells me that's where he saw the problem. Works for me.

While not impossible, that gets more assignment screwy especially if the offense uses motion and bunch formations to get the man-to-man corner out of position. Methinks Ryans likes to keep assignments relatively simple.
Demeco doing the best he can with what he has. Will be interesting to see what he does this off season. Perhaps we will get a better feel of his future plans of attack on both sides of the ball.

Demeco doing the best he can with what he has. Will be interesting to see what he does this off season. Perhaps we will get a better feel of his future plans of attack on both sides of the ball.
The Texans have implemented Ryans' preferred schemes on both offense and defense. personnel and execution will be the primary difference in the success of those core schemes going forward.

Zone blocking and zone defense is just a way to make up for not having the best players. Certainly there are exceptions but not what I prefer.
We oversimplify these things when talking about them on the message board. Teams mix zone, gap or man-on-man power blocking. No team runs either exclusively.

on man versus zone defense
The NFL is a league that features a lot more zone-coverage schemes than man schemes. Since 2020, 66.4% of dropbacks have been against a zone-coverage scheme. Man coverage is exactly as it sounds; the person in front of you is the player you will guard for the duration of the play, and depending on the number of pass rushers, you can have or not have any help. In zone coverage, you are defending an area of the field, and you will eventually be matched up with someone in a man style of coverage.

For those interested in complexities

Last edited:
Back