Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Post-Draft 53 Man Roster Predictions

Okay my friends, who, out of all the '24 draftees do YOU hope turns into our next pro bowler?
I am confident Lassiter turns into a starter by seasons end and I also think Calen Bullock turns into a fixture in the back end of the defense, but for me, the most valuable player, I hope, is Blake Fisher.
If he can turn into our starting RT, man, that would be golden.

Okay my friends, who, out of all the '24 draftees do YOU hope turns into our next pro bowler?
I am confident Lassiter turns into a starter by seasons end and I also think Calen Bullock turns into a fixture in the back end of the defense, but for me, the most valuable player, I hope, is Blake Fisher.
If he can turn into our starting RT, man, that would be golden.
He actually started as a LT at Notre Dame before he was injured and Alt took his spot away. So I would say LT = golden, RT = Silver, but we'd be fortunate either way.

I'm interested in the bottom of our WR room. You typically keep 6 right?

Diggs, Collins, and Dell are obviously 100% in. Noah Brown also feels like a roster lock, he's clearly shown he can play. So that leaves a couple of spots open with Woods, Hutch, and Metchie competing for the last 2 spots. Odd man out there really has to be Woods right? I get he's a nice vet presence but he was a nonfactor last year.

Speaking of Metchie I feel like the writing is on the wall for him. He'll likely make the roster this year but I don't see a path to him producing much without a couple of major WR injuries. Maybe if he makes the roster next year he can compete for WR3 but that seems like the ceiling at this point.

I'm interested in the bottom of our WR room. You typically keep 6 right?

Diggs, Collins, and Dell are obviously 100% in. Noah Brown also feels like a roster lock, he's clearly shown he can play. So that leaves a couple of spots open with Woods, Hutch, and Metchie competing for the last 2 spots. Odd man out there really has to be Woods right? I get he's a nice vet presence but he was a nonfactor last year.

Speaking of Metchie I feel like the writing is on the wall for him. He'll likely make the roster this year but I don't see a path to him producing much without a couple of major WR injuries. Maybe if he makes the roster next year he can compete for WR3 but that seems like the ceiling at this point.

I don't pretend to speak with insider information, but in listening to the way Nick and DeMeco speak about Metchie, they are going to give him every opportunity and then some to come back from an awful medical situation.

Also, there is a chance that Nico and/or Diggs are not with the team after this season. Just can't assume the Big 3 receivers are entrenched for anything other than the next 20 games.

I don't pretend to speak with insider information, but in listening to the way Nick and DeMeco speak about Metchie, they are going to give him every opportunity and then some to come back from an awful medical situation.

Also, there is a chance that Nico and/or Diggs are not with the team after this season. Just can't assume the Big 3 receivers are entrenched for anything other than the next 20 games.

I’m fairly certain Diggs will be gone after this year and Nico is back (assuming he plays as well as last year) but that’s why I said Metchie may have the opportunity to compete for the #3 spot. But we’re running short on years left on his contract and I’m not even sure if he’ll have much chance to prove himself on the field.

I’m fairly certain Diggs will be gone after this year and Nico is back (assuming he plays as well as last year) but that’s why I said Metchie may have the opportunity to compete for the #3 spot. But we’re running short on years left on his contract and I’m not even sure if he’ll have much chance to prove himself on the field.

Don't disagree in terms of time left on contact and what he can prove before then. But he has two years left and a fully healthy Metchie is more talented than veterans Brown or Woods or a 6th rounder in X.

First media attempt i’ve found. Disagree with Ford/Lonnie Johnson over the likes of Bryant and King in the DB room. Also would carry an extra LB instead of a 10th OL.

Minicamp roster projection: Main changes are 3 QB offense. Going down to 3 TE. Skowronek adds position flexibility and makes the team. Quitoriano out. Woods out for Skowronek. Brown stays due to cap hit relative to Woods and ability to sub at Nico’s spot.

Defense dropped Murray at safety for Hinish at DT. The players are both JAGs imo, but I would rather carry an extra DL on the active roster given how much DeMeco wants to rotate them on gameday.

Offense: 26
3 QB: Stroud, Keenum, Mills
4 RB: Mixon, Pierce, Jordan, Ogunbowale
1 FB: Beck
6 WR: Diggs, Collins, Dell, Metchie, Brown, Skowronek
2 LT: Tunsil, Heck
2 LG: Green 1 Green 2
2 C: Scruggs, Patterson
1 RG: Mason
2 RT: Howard, Fisher
3 TE: Schultz, Stover, Jordan

Defense: 24
4 DE: Anderson, Hunter, Barnett, Edwards
5 DT: Fatukasi, Autry, Settle, Davis, Hinish
6 LB: Al-Sha'air, Harris, To'o To'o, Hewitt, Hill, Hansen
5 CB: Stingley, Okudah, Lassiter, Bryant, Henderson
4 S: Pitre, Ward, Bullock, Stewart

ST: 3
1 Punter: Townsend
1 Kicker: Fairbairn
1 LS: Weeks

Updated roster projection with one more week of preseason to go. Changes are… Akers for Pierce, Hutchinson for Brown, and Broeker for Heck on offense. Akers better scheme fit, Hutchinson healthy now with more upside going forward than Brown who is not healthy. And Broeker offers more upside/flexibility than Heck.

Autry on suspension gives another DL an opportunity to stake their claim. For now i’ll put Hughes in. We’ll see who gets moved out assuming all are healthy after Autry’s suspension is done.

I think Tooley makes it in at LB and Hill is a PS stash. Tooley more ready to contribute now. But could see a waiver add from another team to bolster depth here with both rookies PS candidates. Adding Murray in place of Henderson in DB room due to Pitre’s perceived move to nickel. Also Murray offers ST value that Henderson does not.

Okudah has not been healthy this preseason but think team sees him as top outside CB backup due to contract and lack of anyone else stepping up and taking that role this preseason. CB depth kind of opposite of what the team’s WRs have been showing this preseason. If Stingley or Lassiter go out then Caserio probably moves a premium pick or calls one of the vets waiting out TC to get someone who’s not a total liability to fill in.

Offense: 26
3 QB: Stroud, Keenum, Mills
4 RB: Mixon, Akers, Jordan, Ogunbowale
1 FB: Beck
6 WR: Diggs, Collins, Dell, Metchie, Hutchinson, Skowronek
2 LT: Tunsil, Fisher
2 LG: Green 1 Green 2
2 C: Scruggs, Patterson
1 RG: Mason
2 RT: Howard, Broeker
3 TE: Schultz, Stover, Jordan

Defense: 24
4 DE: Anderson, Hunter, Barnett, Hughes
5 DT: Fatukasi, Edwards, Settle, Davis, Hinish
6 LB: Al-Sha'air, Harris, To'o To'o, Hewitt, Tooley, Hansen
4 CB: Stingley, Lassiter, Okudah, Bryant,
5 S: Pitre, Ward, Bullock, Stewart, Murray

ST: 3
1 Punter: Townsend
1 Kicker: Fairbairn
1 LS: Weeks

Suspension: Autry

Would love to see the team roll with 2 QBs so they can hold onto one of their tough cuts that they will have to make. But don’t think Ryans will risk it after seeing the 49ers NFC championship game fall two years ago when Purdy went down.

Also, I would love to keep Hairston over Beck. I think Hairston offers more as a blocker but for whatever reason, the staff seems to like Beck more. He has better receiving ability I guess… But i’d prefer Jordan or Skowronek for that H back type receiving role. FB should be blocking and Hairston is better than Beck for that.

Last edited:
The thing about Mills, and having only two QBs on the roster, is that this is Mills 4th season and it's unlikely the Texans will be able to resign him. If I were Mills I'd certainly want to go where I could compete for a starting role.

Thinking ahead to next year, the Texans will be in a shaky position at QB. They'll either have to spend a draft pick on the position, or more likely, sign a journeyman vet. Either way, whoever, will have limited experience in our offense. Anyone we sign down the road this year as #3, will get limited snaps.

But this is this year. Next year is next year.

There isn't a single person posting on this board that isn't deserving of crow. And on multiple occasions. LOL

In any case, I'm glad Brooks made it.
Wise words from our resident Shaman of TT. TT is a buffet comprised of crow.

I was wrong when I thought that BoB just needed better players. I'm not convinced that BoB coaching the NFL All-Pro team could get them to the Super Bowl, let alone win it.

BTW I love Brooks but with all the hype he's getting I'm hoping he isn't Lestar Brooks.

Who's mad about Mills being the backup? There are some that don't even want Mills as the backup. Speedy' s spreadsheet told him this. Porky etc....

Some have come around and have accepted that Caserio had the right vision and those 2 yrs of suffering were worth it.
Mills appears to be getting better with every opportunity. I believe he’s benefitting b/c he’s with the same staff and offensive system for consecutive seasons for the first time in his Texans career. Also, he’s finally got offensive weapons he could’ve only dreamed of in his first two seasons…so I’m happy with his growth and think the Texans will be better for keeping him with the team.
Never got all the hate on Mills during the Lovey Culley Texans. The man was going into a gunfight with a spoon. He could have been a little ***** and whined about everything, but instead he took his lumps and tried to make the best out of an unwinnable situation. Mills having a great offensive mind and playcaller like Slowik and being in the same offense more than 1 year will let us see what he's capable of. Our OL is much better than any of the teams he started on. Maybe he's garbage and total unreclaimable project, but we won't know until we see him in this system with this coaching staff. I hope we never do. I don't think that Mills is ever going to be the guy that makes a deep run in the playoffs without an elite running game, defense and coaching, but I do think he's more than capable of winning some regular season games if Stroud is out for a couple of games.

Last edited:
The thing about Mills, and having only two QBs on the roster, is that this is Mills 4th season and it's unlikely the Texans will be able to resign him. If I were Mills I'd certainly want to go where I could compete for a starting role.

Thinking ahead to next year, the Texans will be in a shaky position at QB. They'll either have to spend a draft pick on the position, or more likely, sign a journeyman vet. Either way, whoever, will have limited experience in our offense. Anyone we sign down the road this year as #3, will get limited snaps.

The fact that we have ownership and management in place that can look beyond this year shows the progress we've made as an organization. Thank God that we as fans can actually see they have some semblance of a plan (and it appears to really be working at the moment) for the future as opposed to what we've had to endure from what seems like from inception. The previous organizations always seemed like they were playing copy cat and not executing their own plan based on the players and resources available. Well intentioned, bad execution. Good to be on this "side" of the NFL...for now.

I think you are not overreacting about QB. A couple of injuries at the QB position and we're toast. Same for pretty much every team. I think that NC/DR will grab a veteran next year, who kind of sucks but will be serviceable at times, and draft a QB in the 3rd or after. As previously stated, they seem much more self aware of their strengths and weaknesses than they ever have been. NC was left with so many holes on this team, you can only fix so many each offseason. Last year was getting franchise cornerstones and vets to assist their development. This year was adding a few more stars to put the offense and defense in a position to compete with the elite teams in the AFC and fix depth at most (not all...see CB, LB, RB) positions. I would think that next year they will attempt to shore up the backup QB and probably CB and LB.

It fun to have these "problems." Almost reminds me of why I liked to watch the Texans in the first place.

Mills appears to be getting better with every opportunity. I believe he’s benefitting b/c he’s with the same staff and offensive system for consecutive seasons for the first time in his Texans career. Also, he’s finally got offensive weapons he could’ve only dreamed of in his first two seasons…so I’m happy with his growth and think the Texans will be better for keeping him with the team.
Not just the same staff for consecutive seasons.. but a competent staff as well. I have a feeling a David Culley locker room was awkward as hell. I don't think he was relatable with today's players at all. Lovie would just keep calling the same crap no matter how many times it failed and he was the best of the two. Damn, no one wanted to coach this team.. THANK YOU DEMECO! .. (and F you, Stephen A. Smith.. we know what the A stands for)

Who's mad about Mills being the backup? There are some that don't even want Mills as the backup. Speedy' s spreadsheet told him this. Porky etc....

Some have come around and have accepted that Caserio had the right vision and those 2 yrs of suffering were worth it.
You were mad when we drafted CJ. You said Mills didn’t get a fair shot. It’s easy to go back to those conversations and I’m pretty sure you remember what you posted on here. Or do you have selective memory?

I said it in another thread but I think they'll go the vet journeyman route for the next few years at least. For as good as CJ is he's still developing and I foresee them pouring as many resources into his development as possible rather than trying to also bring along some rookie who needs to learn everything. That or an experienced "bust" qb like Mac Jones who we trade for from another team.

Overall someone we don't have to spend too much time and resources to teach (and could possibly also pour some knowledge into CJ) while also not leaving us feeling like our season will be completely submarined if CJ were to miss any time.

I didn't like Mills whatsoever as a starter. I stand by that position. He's not a good starter. I don't care how much lipstick you slap on that hog - she's still Miss Piggy. I didn't get the Mills love on this board and still don't.

I do think he's made some decent improvement from last year. I base this on camp reports and his reps in the preseason. I think he's moved up to "average backup". If he needed to start a game or two, I think we can stitch it together and at least be competitive. If he had to steer the ship for, say, 10 or 12 games? Does the Titanic mean anything to you?

He's easily replaceable if another team is stupid enough to throw starter money at him. I'd like to sign him to an extension if he's willing to play second fiddle. Otherwise, there's plenty of fish in the sea.

I didn't like Mills whatsoever as a starter. I stand by that position. He's not a good starter. I don't care how much lipstick you slap on that hog - she's still Miss Piggy. I didn't get the Mills love on this board and still don't.

I do think he's made some decent improvement from last year. I base this on camp reports and his reps in the preseason. I think he's moved up to "average backup". If he needed to start a game or two, I think we can stitch it together and at least be competitive. If he had to steer the ship for, say, 10 or 12 games? Does the Titanic mean anything to you?

He's easily replaceable if another team is stupid enough to throw starter money at him. I'd like to sign him to an extension if he's willing to play second fiddle. Otherwise, there's plenty of fish in the sea.
I like Mills for the simple fact that he was drafted to be a developmental qb who in my opinion was thrust into starting too soon and is showing good signs of improvement.

It's like people who were mad at Nico Collins or only credit his play improvement to CJ. Sometimes the guy whose drafted as a developmental guy isn't instantly good (shocker) and develops over time.

I think he's at least a backup level qb who can get us .5 wins per game if not better and that's really all I can hope for from a backup.

Mills will also be better off because the Texans kept him. He's gotten invaluable training and teaching. Nothing hurts a young player more than having multiple HC's and/or OC's during their early years in the NFL. He may find himself with a Schaub type career eventually if he goes to a team that runs a similar system with enough talent around him that he doesn't have to carry the team.

You were mad when we drafted CJ. You said Mills didn’t get a fair shot. It’s easy to go back to those conversations and I’m pretty sure you remember what you posted on here. Or do you have selective memory?
I didn't want the Texans to draft Stroud. I bought into the S2 bs and the fact that NO Ohio State QB had done squat in the NFL. I definitely didn't want BY. I was cool with rolling with Mills.
As soon as Stroud was drafted, I started pulling for him. As a Texans fan, he's been an absolute revelation as a person and a QB. I very willingly and happily filled my plate at the crow buffet.

I didn't want the Texans to draft Stroud. I bought into the S2 bs and the fact that NO Ohio State QB had done squat in the NFL. I definitely didn't want BY. I was cool with rolling with Mills.
As soon as Stroud was drafted, I started pulling for him. As a Texans fan, he's been an absolute revelation as a person and a QB. I very willingly and happily filled my plate at the crow buffet.
I remember this too.

I'd like to see Mills in a vertically oriented QB friendly system with the weapons we have now... and a good run game.

Not at the expense of Cj.

He's definitely not a game changer like Cj, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he isn't a starter. He might turn out to be a middle of the road 15-20 NFL QB. I mean Jimmy Garoppolo fooled a lot of people for a long time.

Again, I didn't want Stroud to be the pick because of the OSU track record with QBs in the NFL and the S-2.. If you remember correctly I didn't like any QB in that draft. I'll say it again for the thousand time. I was wrong.

This had nothing to do with Mills, although it's true Mills never had a chance to succeed playing on the crap teams he QB 'ed.

Again, I didn't want Stroud to be the pick because of the OSU track record with QBs in the NFL and the S-2.. If you remember correctly I didn't like any QB in that draft. I'll say it again for the thousand time. I was wrong.

This had nothing to do with Mills, although it's true Mills never had a chance to succeed playing on the crap teams he QB 'ed.
Well if you’re going to get sensitive why call out others for their takes on Tunsil and Mills? I wasn’t taking any shots at you , not at all. And you said more than that when it came to CJ.

Tunsil is doing his thing, too 3 LT in the league.

And Mills is still on this team as of right now.

As far as BB who is giving him the business like you did with CJ? And they way some acting towards Tunsil?

Well if you’re going to get sensitive why call out others for their takes on Tunsil and Mills? I wasn’t taking any shots at you , not at all. And you said more than that when it came to CJ.

Tunsil is doing his thing, too 3 LT in the league.

And Mills is still on this team as of right now.

As far as BB who is giving him the business like you did with CJ? And they way some acting towards Tunsil?
Yep, I called CJ' upbringing and religious stuff into account. Why? Because I just saw the Derrick BS who had gotten baptized in the River Jordan after his rookie year. His dad being a drug runner also gave me pause. Also his choice of agents told me he was all about the money and I didn't think winning was the most important thing to him. Again I was wrong about this.

BTW, I'm hoping Stroud can stay focused on football 1st instead of all of the things that lead Derrick astray. The jury is still out on this.

Sensitive? LMAO

Yep, I called CJ' upbringing and religious stuff into account. Why? Because I just saw the Derrick BS who had gotten baptized in the River Jordan after his rookie year. His dad being a drug runner also gave me pause. Also his choice of agents told me he was all about the money and I didn't think winning was the most important thing to him. Again I was wrong about this.

BTW, I'm hoping Stroud can stay focused on football 1st instead of all of the things that lead Derrick astray. The jury is still out on this.

Sensitive? LMAO

The least of my worries is CJ Stroud going astray. CJ vibes are JJ like. His commitment to football is strong and his commitment to the Texans being successful appears to be even stronger. If he avoids a sophmore slump…..watch out, this is going to be fun.

The least of my worries is CJ Stroud going astray. CJ vibes are JJ like. His commitment to football is strong and his commitment to the Texans being successful appears to be even stronger. If he avoids a sophmore slump…..watch out, this is going to be fun.
Did you feel the same way about Derrick going astray after his rookie yr?

Did you not think.the same thing about Derrick after his rookie year. I know a lot of posters thought he was as good or better than Mahomes and if you switched teams/coaches Derrick would be as good as Mahomes. Of course I always thought he was overrated and didn't really care for him as a person and I can't really tell you why I felt that way. BTW, I don't think Stroud will pull a Derrick, I believe football is important to him.

Did you not think.the same thing about Derrick after his rookie year. I know a lot of posters thought he was as good or better than Mahomes and if you switched teams/coaches Derrick would be as good as Mahomes. Of course I always thought he was overrated and didn't really care for him as a person and I can't really tell you why I felt that way. BTW, I don't think Stroud will pull a Derrick, I believe football is important to him.
Dude everybody isn’t the same. Please stop making this type of comparison whenever someone brings up CJ and the way he carries himself. Watson is a thing of the past, leave him there.

Last edited:
Did you feel the same way about Derrick going astray after his rookie yr?
Don't want to pile on and am just trying to make a point, but did you feel the same way about Davis Mills, or any rookie QB that's ever been drafted? I mean comparing a god fearing man to Deshaun cause he was baptized in the River Jordan doesn't make any sense at all, unless you think Christianity leads to sexual assault.

Don't want to pile on and am just trying to make a point, but did you feel the same way about Davis Mills, or any rookie QB that's ever been drafted? I mean comparing a god fearing man to Deshaun cause he was baptized in the River Jordan doesn't make any sense at all, unless you think Christianity leads to sexual assault.
I always question people who wear their religion on their sleeves

I will admit after being burned by Derrick I'm in prove it mode.

I don't remember Mills bringing up the topic of religion, but my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be.

I don't remember Mills bringing up the topic of religion, but my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be.

I don't want to be the rude one at the dinner party by talking about politics or religion so I'll make this short. In my experience, I feel like people who've had a terribly rough upbringing, either turn wholeheartedly to their belief in God cause they can't explain the 'Why me?' question, or they rebel against society because it's treated them so poorly. I admit that I (like you) am very skeptical of the "God wanted us to win this football game, etc." type of public statement, but I figure if that's what it takes for them to carry on, so be it. [/social ponderification]

I think Mills knows he's not an NFL starter. But he might be a Super Bowl champ in the next 2 years by holding a clipboard. Like David Carr did.

I don't want to be the rude one at the dinner party by talking about politics or religion so I'll make this short. In my experience, I feel like people who've had a terribly rough upbringing, either turn wholeheartedly to their belief in God cause they can't explain the 'Why me?' question, or they rebel against society because it's treated them so poorly. I admit that I (like you) am very skeptical of the "God wanted us to win this football game, etc." type of public statement, but I figure if that's what it takes for them to carry on, so be it. [/social ponderification]
Agreed and then there's people like Derrick.

My grandfather was a preacher, I've seen many people like Derrick throughout the yrs

I take faith in that God will deal with those types of people.

1. Mills has been pretty open about his faith. He went to a Christian high school.

2. There is a difference between an individual practicing their faith and an individual using religion as a marketing tool for their brand. It's pretty easy to spot the difference if you're not already biased.

Back to Mills' extension. I've said before that I think he can be our long-term back-up solution because this system fits his skillset just like it does for Stroud. He's also got to be situationally aware that he's more Minshew/Keenum/Fitzgerald than he is a long-term starter anywhere. Some guys prefer to be the back-up on a stable competitive team than do the journeyman route.

You know, I absolutely stated that if the QB’s were to switch teams Watson would excel in KC and Mahomes would’ve regressed under O’Brien’s BS offensive scheme.

Now, if you’re asking me if I would still stand behind my assertion based on what I know now? My answer would still be an absolute yes b/c nothing of what we know today would’ve made a difference based on the facts of both players first seasons in the NFL. If in KC, Watson would’ve had a coach who would’ve modified his playbook to take advantage of Watson’s strengths…..might’ve changed the path he took as a player. If in Houston, Mahomes like Watson would’ve been forced to try and be successful in O’Brien’s offense while spending games running for his life. This reality hasn’t changed.

Last edited:
Back