Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Possible Draft Replacements for Nuk

There is no replacing him. He’s a one of a kind player that will be sorely missed.
A small bright spot is that this draft is extremely deep at WR. Who are some targets that you have your eye on to add to our WR core?

Here are some of the players I like (descriptions are from the draft network:

Denzel Mims - 6’3 206, Mims projects as an X-receiver at the NFL level. With his notable catch radius, physical play and high end body control, Mims projects as a potential starter at the pro level. He brings developing routes and effective play side blocking to the field — which will help him find reps early on in his pro career as he looks to add further refinement to his game.

Brandon Aiyuk- 6’0 201, Aiyuk is a dynamic receiving prospect who possesses an exciting ceiling at the NFL level. Thriving in vertical routes and in run after catch scenarios, Aiyuk is a height/weight/speed mismatch who showcases splendid short area quickness, explosiveness and ability to stress coverage vertically.

Van Jefferson - 6’2 197, Jefferson is a pro-ready wide receiver who should have little issue fitting into any system at the pro level. Jefferson is silky smooth on his routes, plays with a lot of cerebral nuance and illustrates excellent hands through contact.

KJ Hamler - 5’9 176,Hamler has the route running and run after catch skills to command a high percentage of targets in an NFL offense and his short area quickness will make him a handful to account for on routes run near the sticks.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
There is no replacing him. He’s a one of a kind player that will be sorely missed.
A small bright spot is that this draft is extremely deep at WR. Who are some targets that you have your eye on to add to our WR core?

KJ Hamler - 5’9 176,Hamler has the route running and run after catch skills to command a high percentage of targets in an NFL offense and his short area quickness will make him a handful to account for on routes run near the sticks.
I don't agree with that, at all. Hamler doesn't have the frame to be a #1 receiver. I think he can have a Tyler Lockett impact, as a #2.

I think Tee Higgins would be the obvious WR to replace Hopkins role in the offense. He's big (6'4") and tough to jam in press coverage. Has good hands and wins on 50/50 balls. The type of WR that can catch 90-100 balls for 10-12 TDs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't agree with that, at all. Hamler doesn't have the frame to be a #1 receiver. I think he can have a Tyler Lockett impact, as a #2.

I think Tee Higgins would be the obvious WR to replace Hopkins role in the offense. He's big (6'4") and tough to jam in press coverage. Has good hands and wins on 50/50 balls. The type of WR that can catch 90-100 balls for 10-12 TDs.
Mims should be the pick if he's there at 40.

BTW, I guess we now know why the Texans interviewed Mims/Henderson etc... at the combine.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Mims should be the pick if he's there at 40.

BTW, I guess we now know why the Texans interviewed Mims/Henderson etc... at the combine.
I don't know if Mims is the kind of receiver who can win on a slant on 3rd & 7. Looks like more of an outside, Fuller type. You can take Mims and get another downfield threat. But, the Texans would still need a guy to work the middle of the field and win against the press.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't know if Mims is the kind of receiver who can win on a slant on 3rd & 7. Looks like more of an outside, Fuller type. You can take Mims and get another downfield threat. But, the Texans would still need a guy to work the middle of the field and win against the press.
Mims won against press in college.

He's a big strong dude.

Check out his Combine stats and they live up to his play on the field.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
I'll tell you the guy who is going to go a lot higher than most think at this time.

Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame

Dude has a size, speed ratio that very few players are gifted.
6'4, 238lbs and runs a 4.4 40 ?? Are you serious ??
He might take a minute to get up to speed in the NFL, but I think he's a better pro than college player.

There are certainly others, like Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado, but I like what Claypool brings.
Should be fun to watch it all unfold.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Claypool isn't a conventional WR. He's kind of a flex TE in the Jimmy Graham mold. I think a young Jimmy Graham would be Claypool's ceiling. A guy who wins on 50/50 balls due to size/leaping ability. His floor would be a guy like David Njoku. Super athletic body, but stiff running routes.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Claypool isn't a conventional WR. He's kind of a flex TE in the Jimmy Graham mold. I think a young Jimmy Graham would be Claypool's ceiling. A guy who wins on 50/50 balls due to size/leaping ability. His floor would be a guy like David Njoku. Super athletic body, but stiff running routes.

Claypool, Mims, and Duvernay - all create matchup problems .... each additional problem increases the difficulty of containing the others .... we don't have the luxury of all three, but Watson might throw for 6000 yds !

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I really like Claypool, but i'm with Lucky..dude's big and i see him being converted to TE in the NFL. i've also seen some mocks that have Justin Jefferson possibly being available for with Arizona's 2ndr ound pick. If this is the case, i want him over Mims and Duvernay. if not then i like Mims more.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'll tell you the guy who is going to go a lot higher than most think at this time.

He might take a minute to get up to speed in the NFL, but I think he's a better pro than college player.

There are certainly others, like Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado, but I like what Claypool brings.
Otisbean and I were talking about Claypool. He's watched alot of him and thinks he's going to be a great pro.

I think he's a walking matchup problem (Like Graham was) and you could do alot worse than this in the 2nd rd. He's a RZ nightmare and reminds me of a poor mans Nuk.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Ya, Claypool is better than some on here are saying.

Here’s a good write that matches what I’ve seen, and I’ve watched a ton of his games (I’m a ND fan)

Here’s LZ’s write up

His deficiencies can be coached up. I’m from the sports training world and a couple things I can tell you about tall athletes. First, generally don’t have the acceleration ability of shorter athletes, it’s harder to get longer legs going. Second, they generally don’t have the lateral ability shorter guys do because of their higher COG. This doesn’t mean they can’t be highly effective.

Claypool wouldn’t be my first choice, but he is an intriguing option.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Claypool was taken in the 2nd round of the Texans only mock. I've taken some time to consider how he would be used in the Texans offense, and realized he would be an outstanding addition. Would Claypool be a direct replacement for Hopkins? No. But it's what he can do to compliment the existing receivers that gives Claypool value.

Goal line, short yardage situations. Claypool has the size (6'4") and the leaping ability (40" vertical) to be open even in tight coverage. Extending drives and converting red zone opportunities.

Giving additional options in 11 packages. Claypool can play TE in these packages without abandoning the run game. Plus, his presence would force defenses from keeping an additional LB in to play the run, as he could take any deep.

Off schedule plays. Claypool's ability to screen off smaller defenders would present Watson an inviting target in scramble situations.

I know Claypool ran a very fast 40, especially for his size. But, his real value exists in the 10 yard or less area, where his size and catch radius can dominate.

Last edited:

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
If Mims is still there at #40, do we take him, to be our primary receiver ? He may not have Nuk's hands, (then who does), but he's got great height, state champ speed, and plenty of experience. We selected Hop, very late in the 1st round .... not a lot of difference in #40 this year with the plethora of wide receivers ! I know there are many who believe we need to fix the defense .... they are not wrong ! But look at it this way .... the point is to outscore your opponent. Last season's offensive production was mostly dependent on the H brothers. Hyde amassed 1050 rushing yards .... Hopkins - 1175 receiving yards. Through the brilliance that is O'Brien .... they are no longer with us ! We need to replace them with either 2 stars .... or, as the frail, undependable Will Fuller, has proven, we need to have the greatest variety of offensive threats possible ! This argument reminds me of about 5 years ago, when I first began my campaign for offensive linemen !

Childress79

Waterboy
If Mims is there, I think he has to be the pick. If he is gone, as is likely the case, then I think the Texans look Defense at 40 with an eye towards Claypool at 57. There are several later round WRs that I could see the Texans drafting to develop a year and possibly replace one of Stills or Fuller next season. I like Joe Reed myself as a guy that can be used similarly to Deebo Samuel at WR (which would be great for the Texans WR screens). Reed could be a 5th round candidate.

Reactions: JB