Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Poll: Early prediction, just for fun

How many wins for the Texans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
How many wins will the Texans amass, regular season and playoffs? This will expire quickly and we'll do it a few more times during preseason. This time is just for fun and isn't expected to be very accurate.

It will mostly depend on how well the OL has been fixed, IMO. That's hard to say right now. I'm going with 7-9 considering the tough schedule. Prediction will probably change.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I went with 8-8 hoping we go 10-6 but to most points on the board the schedule looks to be brutal.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Right now, I'm thinking 13-3. Everyone healthy, much improved OL, improved secondary.

Now I do expect some hiccups & struggles. Its never perfect, for anybody. & I'll adjust my projection as I assess the Texans response to those struggles.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
The wildcard is the unknown of the OL. IMO I don't believe its fixed, BUT change is at least a reason for hope.

IF the OL is fixed, Id say we have 8-9 wins as I think it will take more than a few games for us to see its fixed.

IF not, it will get ugly quick and Id say 0-3 while I hope the AFCS is taken by anyone but the Titans.

But WTH.... its for fun and not to be very accurate.... so the homer in me gets to play..... 17+ baby!!! :texflag:

Max

Veteran
I hate to say it, but I'm already somewhat looking past this year already and setting hopes on the following year. Of course, I'd love to be surprised and see us make a deep playoff run this year, but my expectations aren't there. What I'm really looking for this year is progress with our offense. Average qb protection would be a great start. But then progress from Watson as well. Has BOB been hindered by lack of talent? Sure, but there's more talent now. I want to see that talent integrated into an innovative offense and not having discussions about if it's BOB or OS, or BOB or the OL, or BOB or the TE's have to help the OL so that's why we suck. At some point it has to be just BOB if this thing doesn't produce and I think that time is here. Quantify that by being a top 10 offense? No. There's going to be hiccups along the way and we have new lineman learning the offense and a young developing qb. I would quantify it by putting it this way -- by the end of the year, I want to feel like it's possible that we could hang 35 points on NE. Not saying that I would bet $ on it going into the game, I just want to feel like it's possible. Most of us (I think) didn't feel that way last year. Show us some progress this year where we have some hope. I think our secondary is going to give us problems this year and lose some games for us. Go heavy defense next off-season with player acquisition and give the offense this year to gain experience/momentum w/ Watson and the Oline and 2020 is looking good. This year I'm feeling 8-8 or 9-7.

281Texan

Waterboy
I hate to say it, but I'm already somewhat looking past this year already and setting hopes on the following year. Of course, I'd love to be surprised and see us make a deep playoff run this year, but my expectations aren't there. What I'm really looking for this year is progress with our offense. Average qb protection would be a great start. But then progress from Watson as well. Has BOB been hindered by lack of talent? Sure, but there's more talent now. I want to see that talent integrated into an innovative offense and not having discussions about if it's BOB or OS, or BOB or the OL, or BOB or the TE's have to help the OL so that's why we suck. At some point it has to be just BOB if this thing doesn't produce and I think that time is here. Quantify that by being a top 10 offense? No. There's going to be hiccups along the way and we have new lineman learning the offense and a young developing qb. I would quantify it by putting it this way -- by the end of the year, I want to feel like it's possible that we could hang 35 points on NE. Not saying that I would bet $ on it going into the game, I just want to feel like it's possible. Most of us (I think) didn't feel that way last year. Show us some progress this year where we have some hope. I think our secondary is going to give us problems this year and lose some games for us. Go heavy defense next off-season with player acquisition and give the offense this year to gain experience/momentum w/ Watson and the Oline and 2020 is looking good. This year I'm feeling 8-8 or 9-7.
I share the same sentiment, but for different reasons. It IS O’Brien. He should’ve been gone last year after the playoff game where he came out totally unprepared and got out coached by a rookie head coach. I really don’t care about the win string, because it started with that same rookie head coach having an opportunity to easily tie the game and likely win, we go to Washington and almost lose to a colt mccoy led redskins team. We go to Denver and barely beat a bad broncos team because they missed a field goal. We lost to a horrible giants team, Blaine gabbert and the titans with a rookie head coach, who was on our staff. And barely squeaked by the bills, with Nathan.Peterman. Had josh Allen stayed in that game that would’ve been another loss. We were bad last year, we were just blessed with yet another easy schedule.

As for the 35 point benchmark. We’ve done that twice in Bill O’Briens 5 years here. Let that sink in. OB is supposed to be an offensive mind and has only reached 35 points TWICE. Once in 2014 with Fitzpatrick, and one last year, in an overtime game. The chiefs, did that NINE times last year. The patriots, 5. That’s who were chasing. This guy has a long leash for no reason. Unfortunately, I think we have 6 wins max this season, and we add some more juice in the form of a CB1, or maybe even more OL help in the top of the draft next year.

Mangler

Toro de España
I’m predicting 9-7. Not because the team isn’t good enough, but because of O’Brien’s super dee duper “complex” playcalls that need 2+ minutes to develop. Since we still finish with a “winning record” O’Brien stays and we become the Bengals of the past 8-9 years.

Last edited:

frethack

Rookie
10-6

I'm betting on Watsons development, taking full control of the offense and realizing his potential.

Still 45+ sacks with the OL playing ugly for 4 games and then eventually figuring it out. By seasons end, Watson is in the MVP conversation. We go to the AFCCG.

...or it all goes to hell and we are 7-9

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
10-6

I'm betting on Watsons development, taking full control of the offense and realizing his potential.

Still 45+ sacks with the OL playing ugly for 4 games and then eventually figuring it out. By seasons end, Watson is in the MVP conversation. We go to the AFCCG.

...or it all goes to hell and we are 7-9

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Now that's covering your bases; :)

:coffee:

zshawn10

All Pro
2019 NFL Power Rankings: Projected Wins and Playoff Chances for 1-32

8. Houston Texans

Projected wins: 8.5
Chance to make playoffs: 44.2 percent

Where the team improved this offseason: A plan to protect Deshaun Watson. The Texans used two of their three picks in the first two rounds on offensive tackles: Alabama State’s Tytus Howard (No. 23) and Northern Illinois’ Max Scharping (No. 55). It remains to be seen whether they will be impact players in 2019, but Houston took a step in the right direction by drafting two players it hopes will protect its franchise quarterback for the foreseeable future. — Sarah Barshop

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Over/unders, Super Bowl and playoff odds for all 32 NFL teams

AFC South

Houston Texans (30-1)
Odds to win AFC: 15-1
Division: +280
Over/under: 8.5
Odds to make playoffs: Yes +150, No -180

Indianapolis Colts (10-1)
Odds to win AFC: 5-1
Division: -110
Over/under: 9.5
Odds to make playoffs: Yes -250, No +200

Jacksonville Jaguars (60-1)
Odds to win AFC: 30-1
Division: 5-1
Over/under: 8
Odds to make playoffs: Yes +375, No -500

Tennessee Titans (100-1)
Odds to win AFC: 50-1

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26632812/super-bowl-divisional-odds-
playoff-odds-all-32-nfl-teams-2019-season

Not everyone as down on the Texans as this board is

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I am predicting 8-8 this year for the following reasons:
*Tough schedule: We have the 4th hardest schedule - 7 against 10 win teams; 7 against playoff teams.
*Improved AFC South: All of our division rivals have improved this off season.
*Coaching: I'm glad to see OB hire a OC and bring in Carl Smith. But he still makes too many situation errors (challenges, time outs, etc...).
*Injuries: Although it's part of the game, we seem to have more than our share to key players every year.
*2018 ending: We got spanked by our biggest rival in our house. Failure to game plan. Good teams play their best late in the season.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I threw the dart and hit 9 wins.
There will be some straight forward wins and some more by luck, outstanding individual performances, and/or bad play by the opponent.
There will be some straight forward losses and some more by bad luck, poor coaching, or outstanding individual performances by the other guys.

But the biggest thing I want to see is a team that gets better as the season progresses. And if Coach O'Brien is the obvious weak link keeping the team from reaching higher goals, I will wish him a good happy life and career somewhere else. But I will not take the low road and refer to him or anyone else in derogatory, insulting terms. That's my foxhole and I'm staying in it.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
What do you mean? They're favored to NOT make the playoffs.
I don't know how to read the odds other than they are favored to be second in the division, which is better than most here are predicting

Mangler

Toro de España
There will be some straight forward wins and some more by luck, outstanding individual performances, and/or bad play by the opponent.
There will be some straight forward losses and some more by bad luck, poor coaching, or outstanding individual performances by the other guys.

But the biggest thing I want to see is a team that gets better as the season progresses. And if Coach O'Brien is the obvious weak link keeping the team from reaching higher goals, I will wish him a good happy life and career somewhere else. But I will not take the low road and refer to him or anyone else in derogatory, insulting terms. That's my foxhole and I'm staying in it.
Suit yourself, Ghandi.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I don't know how to read the odds other than they are favored to be second in the division, which is better than most here are predicting
I haven't looked at the Colts schedule, but I'm going to assume it will be stacked like ours. That gives us a fighting chance in the Division. But the Colts were better than us by the end of the year, so we'll have to see if we're improved enough to over take them. Again, my dart throwing says 9 wins.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
Suit yourself, Ghandi.
Ghandi is pretty nice, thank you. That's what I would hope for from someone who always maintains an even, respectful tone, like you. Though I'm more like Abraham Lincoln or George Washington, maybe.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I haven't looked at the Colts schedule, but I'm going to assume it will be stacked like ours. That gives us a fighting chance in the Division. But the Colts were better than us by the end of the year, so we'll have to see if we're improved enough to over take them. Again, my dart throwing says 9 wins.
Their schedule is identical except for 2 games

Texans get Baltimore & NE while Colts get Pittsburgh and Miami

Last edited:

HaveMercy

Passing Through
Never can tell year to year
That's true. Individual teams have ups and downs during the season, too, so a team we play early may be harder or easier later in the year when they face the Colts. There's no way to know now whether we're comparing apples to apples. But just for the purpose of this discussion, I'm assuming that's what we're doing...apples to apples.

The opponent list is the same, except that we face Baltimore and NE while the Colts face Pittsburgh and Miami. Treating Baltimore and Pittsburgh as a wash as opponents, NE is tougher than Miami. That suggests that the Colts schedule is one game easier than ours. Maybe.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
If you ever want to run for President, you got my vote.
Pretty funny, made me smile. However, I don't think my calling...my destiny, if you will...includes anything close to authority or importance. And so I hang out on this MB, predicting 9 wins. And all of this is tongue in cheek, as it were. Having fun.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I’m predicting 9-7. Not because the team isn’t good enough, but because of O’Brien’s super dee duper “complex” playcalls that need 2+ minutes to develop. Since we still finish with a “winning record” O’Brien stays and we become the Bengals of the past 8-9 years.
That's totally possible, but I sure hope not. If OB doesn't big time improve, my hope is that Cal and Gaine conclude that OB has reached his stride and that they want more.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
That's true. Individual teams have ups and downs during the season, too, so a team we play early may be harder or easier later in the year when they face the Colts. There's no way to know now whether we're comparing apples to apples. But just for the purpose of this discussion, I'm assuming that's what we're doing...apples to apples.

The opponent list is the same, except that we face Baltimore and NE while the Colts face Pittsburgh and Miami. Treating Baltimore and Pittsburgh as a wash as opponents, NE is tougher than Miami. That suggests that the Colts schedule is one game easier than ours. Maybe.
I don't think anyone expects us to beat the Colts twice. Therefore, their schedule is 2 games easier than ours. :)

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Health will be key

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Over/unders, Super Bowl and playoff odds for all 32 NFL teams

AFC South

Houston Texans (30-1)
Odds to win AFC: 15-1
Division: +280
Over/under: 8.5
Odds to make playoffs: Yes +150, No -180

Indianapolis Colts (10-1)
Odds to win AFC: 5-1
Division: -110
Over/under: 9.5
Odds to make playoffs: Yes -250, No +200

Jacksonville Jaguars (60-1)
Odds to win AFC: 30-1

Tennessee Titans (100-1)
Odds to win AFC: 50-1

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26632812/super-bowl-divisional-odds-
playoff-odds-all-32-nfl-teams-2019-season

Not everyone as down on the Texans as this board is
Brown's, Cowboys, 49ers, & Bears have a better odds to winning the Super Bowl.

Browns... Cowboys....

aye, yie, yie

Mangler

Toro de España
Brown's, Cowboys, 49ers, & Bears have a better odds to winning the Super Bowl.

Browns... Cowboys....

aye, yie, yie
Browns I can see why, but the Cowboys? Lol! You’re forgetting analysts still think it’s the early 90’s when they were actually relevant. The truth is we’ve probably been as good, if not better, than them from 02 all the way to 2019.

Hopefully being written off this early will light a fire under the Texans belly and have the best season they’ve ever had!

Last edited:

H_Town_Gaucho

Waterboy
I'm thinking Colts will take the division and we may be a wild card and be out in the first round of the playoffs as usual.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker

Year after year, we've had teams that get better as the season progresses. How nice it would be if we had a team that was ready to play at the start of the season, for once! I'd like to see a team that gets better from season to season.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Right now, I'm thinking 13-3. Everyone healthy, much improved OL, improved secondary.

Now I do expect some hiccups & struggles. Its never perfect, for anybody. & I'll adjust my projection as I assess the Texans response to those struggles.
So you’re predicting the Texans will win 13 in a row after starting 0-3? Because under O’Brien the Texans have sucked eggs out of the gate.