Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Playoffs...Wild Card Round...Indianapolis Colts!

Texas Jake

Rookie
Most the talking heads are picking the Colts to win this. It is time to prove the so called experts wrong.

Here is what I am hoping to see tomorrow.

RAC gets the defense prepared for this. He blitzes at opportune times and keeps the pressure on Luck and the defenses back field does a better job of coverage. JJ has an inspired game and we get several key turnovers.

The offense starts fast and scores quickly, then never takes its foot off the peddle.

We won on their field and they won on our field. That trend seems ready to be broken. I don't see them beating us twice at home. The odds our in our favor.

I believe we win this, but this game really scares me, more so than facing NE at home.

frethack

Rookie
Don't disagree with this approach, but when we do this, Watt and Clowney tend to be OVERaggressive leaving QBs to do their thing................of course Watt gets his sacks for the most part alone and Clowney sometime his pressure, but the remainder of the D appear to be neutered. Although undoubtedly, our secondary has not often played at an elite level, play for play, our front 4 alone have just not been able to gain any heavy pressure, and that's a big problem. When that happens, you run out of players to do the things you describe in your first paragraph.
Agreed that he wanted the plays on film...and it helps to see them against a defense other than our own. I think he wanted the plays on film for two reasons...offensive review AND to give the Colts something new to have to think about. Show them looks we havent used and that we can game plan off of.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HopkDe00/splits/

11 games = 108 targets/62 receptions
853 yards 3 TDs 13.76 yards per reception
57.4% catch rate

Nice numbers, but they arent in line with TY Hilton against us, but thats not being negative considering we've had a clown show at the QB position for a while, Im fully expecting Hopkins/Watson to take over the NFL for the next few years.
Thanks for posting these numbers. TexansBull's post only listed games played in Houston........not ALL games against Houston.
Wouldn't a more accurate comparison be had by looking at these numbers for Hilton? https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HiltT.00/splits/

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
I don't think critical analyzing means you're not pumped up for the game. At least not for me. I can't wait for kickoff. But I can't dismiss what I've seen all year from this team. Yeah, they won 11 games but they've struggled in damn near every game they've played. I mean, if Frank Reich hadn't gifted them the win in week 4, this game would be in Indy.

Should Colts fans be worried about Watson and Nuk like we are Luck and Hilton? Sure. But does anyone think Luck will have to deal with a damn near instant onslaught of pass rushers like Watson will? Luck's the 2nd least sacked QB in the league.

The Texans have a history of the speedy receiver having a big day. They also have a history of top end TEs having big days. They get both in this game, plus a top tier QB.

I'm not saying the Texans can't or won't win this game, but it just seems to me they've always got a lot to overcome, and have had all season. But they still find ways to win. So I'm not discounting that either.

Saying all the things the Texans need to do to win doesn't mean it's going to happen. They need to quit getting behind schedule so often. The constant 2nd and 11, 3rd and long, choke this offense. They can't have possessions ending because they can't stop getting negative yards on 1st down. They need to pressure Luck, get him uncomfortable, get him hit, get him down. OK, great, Nick Foles was reading War & Peace when he dropped back, how does that change? More red zone conversions, less FGs. Yes, please, but how when they've sucked at it all season? This o-line isn't magically going to turn into Tuinei, Stepnoski, Newton and Allen.

I don't doubt the Texans can win, and I can't wait for the game to start, but I can't just ignore all the mountains they have to climb damn near every game. And that's just playing the Jets, Titans, Redskins, Broncos, Bills, etc. Now it's playoffs.

A) 3 point game that goes either way
B) Texans blowout
C) Colts blowout

Each on a scale of 1-5, 5 being most likely to happen, how would you rank them?

I'll be at the game. I'll be screaming my ass off. That's where I'll be waving my poms poms and cheering. Here on this message board, I'm going to talk about what I see and what I expect based on what I see. That's all.
I will try this again.

I'm a Bengals fan looking in from the outside and my post was meant in fun and in no way truly critical.
However, Luck being the 2nd least sacked QB has to do with both better protection this year and a planned quick release offense of Reich. The Texans need to overcome that.

Of course saying all the things the Texans need to do to win doesn't mean it's going to happen. Just like saying all the reasons they could lose doesn't mean they will.
Maybe that's just me being captain obvious. Not sure why pointing that out is helpful though and no I'm not being argumentative.

Not sure a Bengals fan perspective matters to anyone here but in regards to your question:
A) 3 point game that goes either way ?? I rank that a 5 and think the Texans are on the winning side of that outcome.
B&C) A blowout by either team ?? I rank that a 3 because either team is capable. Turnovers can change a game very quickly, letting things get out of hand.

As a Bengals fan, I have enjoyed my trips to Houston from Cincinnati and enjoy going to Indy once a year to watch the Texans and Colts play.
I begrudge no fan of any team. Wishing everyone here a great weekend and a win Saturday.
Peace !!!

Uncle Rico

Thanks for posting these numbers. TexansBull's post only listed games played in Houston........not ALL games against Houston.
Wouldn't a more accurate comparison be had by looking at these numbers for Hilton? https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HiltT.00/splits/
absolutely .. the chart being circulated online is basically just amping up the whole TY "Houston is my second home" comment. If you add in the games in Indy, you could make the case that he never shows up for the home crowd against Houston. Its all cherry picked and narrative based no doubt about it. Stats and metrics are fun, they help dispel or acknowledge certain presumptions and sometimes even sensationalize some minor part of a contest.

Its still going to be must watch TV to watch JJO and TY going at in on Saturday. "Cant Wait"

Uncle Rico

Have you noticed that it was during a "strenuous" WALKTHROUGH? :kitten:
Doc when a player misses as much time as Coutee to a hamstring pull, what is the long term effect of such a situation? Is this something that will keep popping up because of body type or poor muscular support in those muscles? Same with Fuller.

It would be nice if next year these problems were behind him, but if they keep appearing what to make of it? Trying hard not to feel like 'bust' is in his future.

ADX

Practice Squad
Hey everyone, Colts fan here. Don't shoot me!

I think the game could go either way but having read through the thread, it seems like there are a lot of people that think this is the same ole turnover machine Andrew Luck that will take the field tomorrow. The reality is it's not, he has the best O line the Colts have had in 10 years and isn't running for his life on every play. Add in the fact Marlon Mack has been running it well due to this line and I think it's going to be different than the last few games. The interior o line is nasty with Quentin Nelson being the reason why. This will be the healthiest O line and version of Luck you've seen in 3 years.

#10 will get his catches and yards, and he always does against Indy but unless Coutee can contribute which means it comes down to Deshaun (stud).

Always respected the Texans (you're not the Jags, thank god) and think it should be a good game. I'm just glad you guys won't be overwatering the field like you used to do :)

I think the cheatriots are gettable actually so this game could very will put someone in the AFC Finals and should be a great way to spend tomorrow afternoon.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I suspect Billy and DW4 reviewed the film and discussed the edge blitzes. Come on Rico, these are professionals so I hope you are just sharings some stats in a funny way.

Now if BOB wets the bed with his prep, then I will help roast, but the hours and time these guys put in and have to outhink another staff doing the same is vastly underestimated. I wish the dude would use more analytics instead of his gut though to see what is truly working/not working. He has said he does not. But if he changes everything up like week 17, throw out the data as there are no trends, I like the fact the Colts are looking at that tape, and wondering how we deploy QT and Carter, and if that can beat their planned blitz packages. It would be so cool to be able to go back and listen to war rooms after the game was played and see who out thought and out prepared the other coaching staff. Then the players play, and DW4 makes an off schedule wonderful play and guys probably say, just let the kid be himself

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I think the game could go either way but having read through the thread, it seems like there are a lot of people that think this is the same ole turnover machine Andrew Luck that will take the field tomorrow. The reality is it's not, he has the best O line the Colts have had in 10 years and isn't running for his life on every play. Add in the fact Marlon Mack has been running it well due to this line and I think it's going to be different than the last few games. The interior o line is nasty with Quentin Nelson being the reason why. This will be the healthiest O line and version of Luck you've seen in 3 years.

#10 will get his catches and yards, and he always does against Indy but unless Coutee can contribute which means it comes down to Deshaun (stud).

Always respected the Texans (you're not the Jags, thank god) and think it should be a good game. I'm just glad you guys won't be overwatering the field like you used to do :)

I think the cheatriots are gettable actually so this game could very will put someone in the AFC Finals and should be a great way to spend tomorrow afternoon.
Believe me, those who follow the game and have been watching carefully are definitely aware of Luck's current form.
He looked totally in control against the Titans and that cannot happen if you want to beat the Colts.
I suspect RAC will have plenty of plans to pressure Luck to make him get rid of the ball sooner than he wants. He can't be allowed to stand and deliver or he will pick you apart.
Texans are in the top 2 or 3 in the league against the run so that aspect doesn't concern me as much as the Luck factor. If we can mess him up and stop the run, Texans will win.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I suspect Billy and DW4 reviewed the film and discussed the edge blitzes. Come on Rico, these are professionals so I hope you are just sharings some stats in a funny way.

Now if BOB wets the bed with his prep, then I will help roast, but the hours and time these guys put in and have to outhink another staff doing the same is vastly underestimated. I wish the dude would use more analytics instead of his gut though to see what is truly working/not working. He has said he does not. But if he changes everything up like week 17, throw out the data as there are no trends, I like the fact the Colts are looking at that tape, and wondering how we deploy QT and Carter, and if that can beat their planned blitz packages. It would be so cool to be able to go back and listen to war rooms after the game was played and see who out thought and out prepared the other coaching staff. Then the players play, and DW4 makes an off schedule wonderful play and guys probably say, just let the kid be himself
Watson has a lot of trouble recognizing blitzes and disguised coverages. It dogged him in college, also. His insane athletic ability is what allows him to thrive. With the QB as protected as he is in practice and as limited as full contact practices are, I wonder if teams actually practice disguised blitzes and disguised coverages in full contact practices. IMO, practicing that "live" is the only way to improve on it. Kinda like the "kill" houses used with SEAL Teams, SWAT, etc. You can't develop the reflexes doing walk throughs.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Believe me, those who follow the game and have been watching carefully are definitely aware of Luck's current form.
He looked totally in control against the Titans and that cannot happen if you want to beat the Colts.
I suspect RAC will have plenty of plans to pressure Luck to make him get rid of the ball sooner than he wants. He can't be allowed to stand and deliver or he will pick you apart.
Texans are in the top 2 or 3 in the league against the run so that aspect doesn't concern me as much as the Luck factor. If we can mess him up and stop the run, Texans will win.
If the Texans play off man again, they are going to get roasted. They need to either suck it up and play press man or admit they suck, play zone, give up the yards and keep plays in front of them. I'm of the opinion that, considering injuries and talent, they would be better off doubling Hilton with a CB and Reid and making Ebron beat Honey Badger with some underneath help from a LB or nickel/dime S/CB. I don't think the Colts have a good enough running game or tertiary WR to beat the Texans if they take away Hilton and can limit the damage done by Ebron.

Aggie96

Practice Squad

You know Luck had a terrible interruption the last game of the season. He almost blew the game.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I’m looking for OB to call the game like he did against the Tacks last year (at home). I think it was last year. Actually had the TE’s in the game plan and was moving the ball all over the place.

The running game has to be good tomorrow or our boys will be in for a long day.

Watson and the WR’s need to be on the same page with those corner blitzes.

And can someone please tell #70 to actually block someone in pass pro, please!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I suspect Billy and DW4 reviewed the film and discussed the edge blitzes. Come on Rico, these are professionals so I hope you are just sharings some stats in a funny way
Yeah.

I hope they get Lamar Miller in these film sessions. He is standing behind Watson when he's setting protection. He should know who is accounted for & who isn't. He should never run past a free rusher.

He did it at least twice against the Eagles. & I've seen Griffin do the same thing in other games.

They know there is no one between them & the QB. Dude runs free past you, guess where he's going?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Yeah.

I hope they get Lamar Miller in these film sessions. He is standing behind Watson when he's setting protection. He should know who is accounted for & who isn't. He should never run past a free rusher.

He did it at least twice against the Eagles. & I've seen Griffin do the same thing in other games.

They know there is no one between them & the QB. Dude runs free past you, guess where he's going?
Frustrating because OB has spoken highly of Miller's ability in pass protection previously.

No excuse on Griffin. He's never been much of a blocker.

Fun fact: George Kittle was a 5th round pick last year out of same college as Fiedo. Jordan Thomas looks like our best TE and drafted late 6th this season. There is hope that the Texans will find a competent replacement for Griffin this offseason.