Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

playoffs more possible than you might think

1. If the Texans lose to NE, they're out. So the rest of this post is meaningful only if the Texans beat the Patriots.

2. If any two of the Jets, Ravens and Broncos win, the Texans are out regardless of what happens in our game. A tie by any of those three is just as good as a loss. Had Indy not thrown away today's game, we'd need only one loss by either the Ravens or Broncos to get in. Pound sand, Bill Polian.

3. If any one of the Jets, Ravens and Broncos win, the Texans are the 6 seed with the sole winner among the other three being the 5 seed. A tie involving NYJ/Balt/Den is just as good as a loss as far as we're concerned.

3(a). If the Ravens or Broncos are the sole winner among Balt/Den/NYJ, then that sole winner is the 5 seed and plays NE. The Patriots--whom we must beat to make it--would finish 10-6 while the Bengals finish 11-5 (by beating the Jets) and get the 3 seed. We play Cincy while the Ravens or Broncos play NE.

3(b). If the Ravens and Broncos lose but the Jets beat Cincy, then two week 17 games will get immediately replayed in different stadiums. We'll be the 6 seed and travel to 3rd seeded NE while the Jets will be the 5 seed and travel to 4 seed Cincy.

4. If the Jets, Ravens and Broncos all lose (and we win), we're the 5 seed and play at NE. If Pittsburgh also wins, they're the 6 seed. If Pittsburgh loses, I neither know nor care who gets the 6 seed. All that matters is that we're in!!

All things considered this is actually pretty exciting. No, we don't control our own destiny, but hey we have a chance, and we are talking about the playoffs in week 17. Wild.

1. If the Texans lose to NE, they're out. So the rest of this post is meaningful only if the Texans beat the Patriots.

2. If any two of the Jets, Ravens and Broncos win, the Texans are out regardless of what happens in our game. A tie by any of those three is just as good as a loss. Had Indy not thrown away today's game, we'd need only one loss by either the Ravens or Broncos to get in. Pound sand, Bill Polian.

3. If any one of the Jets, Ravens and Broncos win, the Texans are the 6 seed with the sole winner among the other three being the 5 seed. A tie involving NYJ/Balt/Den is just as good as a loss as far as we're concerned.

3(a). If the Ravens or Broncos are the sole winner among Balt/Den/NYJ, then that sole winner is the 5 seed and plays NE. The Patriots--whom we must beat to make it--would finish 10-6 while the Bengals finish 11-5 (by beating the Jets) and get the 3 seed. We play Cincy while the Ravens or Broncos play NE.

3(b). If the Ravens and Broncos lose but the Jets beat Cincy, then two week 17 games will get immediately replayed in different stadiums. We'll be the 6 seed and travel to 3rd seeded NE while the Jets will be the 5 seed and travel to 4 seed Cincy.

4. If the Jets, Ravens and Broncos all lose (and we win), we're the 5 seed and play at NE. If Pittsburgh also wins, they're the 6 seed. If Pittsburgh loses, I neither know nor care who gets the 6 seed. All that matters is that we're in!!

MAN! I was so pissed last night! Eff you Polian and Caldwell! Eff you! Don't they realize that every time the Colts have rested people they lose in the playoffs. Did'nt they win the SB when they had to go through the wild card and could not rest anyone? I think that's right. What a joke. I'm still so pissed about that. Our chances would have been sooooooo much better had their pee-pee's not shrank up and they beat the jets.

Everything was falling into place.

C'mon Texans and c'mon all other AFC teams to lose!!!!!!:kitten:

Some others might've posted already, but this is a nice and to the point summary of what we need to happen..

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/texansclinch.html

From this link.....

Spot #5 - Wildcard

Case 1
Texans beat the Patriots, and
Bengals beat the Jets, and
Chiefs beat the Broncos, and
Raiders beat the Ravens

Spot #6 - Wildcard

Case 1
Chiefs beat the Broncos

Case 2
Raiders beat the Ravens

Case 3
Raiders beat the Ravens

I predict we'll be seeing the Texans on the golf course the first week of the playoffs. Not sure I see all these dominoes falling.

From this link.....

Case 1
Chiefs beat the Broncos

I predict we'll be seeing the Texans on the golf course the first week of the playoffs. Not sure I see all these dominoes falling.

The Bengals beating the Jets isn't much of a stretch, and the Broncos are 2 and 7 in their last 9 games.

Havn't posted in a long time but this thread makes me excited! It's going to be tough but it can definitely happen.

If we make the playoffs, I think we actually have a great chance of advancing, here's how:

Texans beat the Patriots (this I think we can do).
Bengals beat the Jets (this I think they can do).
Chiefs beat the Broncos (tough but they have the chance to knock a division rival out of the playoffs).

Then we'd face the Bengals in Round 1 (Wildcard) - We already beat them this year.

Then we'd face the Colts in Round 2 (Divisional) - We lost both games against them ourselves... we get them the 3rd time.

Then we'd face the Chargers/Ravens/Patriots in Round 3 (AFC Championship) - This would be our toughest matchup, most likely play the Chargers. But its the AFC Championship game! Do that and we're this year's Cardinals.

Last edited:
cinn may not even want to win sunday night. i mean we did go to cinn and beat them once already this year. why would they want to beat new york and face us again? i don't really think an nfl team would "throw" a game but they sure don't have anything to play for.

Here is a detailed explanation of how the Texans can clinch either of the wildcard spots at PlayoffStatus.com

Spot #5 - Wildcard

Case 1
Raiders beat the Ravens

Spot #6 - Wildcard

Case 1
Chiefs beat the Broncos

Case 2
Raiders beat the Ravens

Case 3
Raiders beat the Ravens

What I had not really thought of is that the Texans can still win the first wildcard spot, and not only the second. Of course, it is unlikely they win either, but I am still hoping.

cinn may not even want to win sunday night. i mean we did go to cinn and beat them once already this year. why would they want to beat new york and face us again? i don't really think an nfl team would "throw" a game but they sure don't have anything to play for.

If the Pats beat us, then they have nothing to play for. I would rather play us than the Jets, if I were Cincy.

Only way we can avoid a rematch in the 1st round with the Pats is if the Bengals beat the Jets and the Ravens or Broncos lose their game as well. That seems like a bit too much wishful thinking to try to position ourselves for an "easier" opening round playoff game though...

I don't care if we have to rematch the Pats the very next week, I just want to see the Texans finally make the playoffs!!!

If the Texans take care of their business, I think they'll make it in because:

1. KC will come to play at Denver. That is one of the biggest hated rivalries in all of sports and KC knocking them out of the playoffs would be the next best thing to winning the SB.

2. Dungy picked Cincy over the Jets.

That's good enough for me.

i'm gonna man up and admit after the 2nd jax loss i lost alot of hope for the playoffs but if the texans win sunday i'll will be the biggest chiefs fan outside of kc!
and the pink soap is down...........for now!

Colts screwed us over, we would only need one loss by either ravens or broncos, but Bengals will hopefully finish the jets off.

Even though the Texans likely won't make it, its fun to be part of the "hair above mediocre" crowd who gets to play with stuff in the final week. :D

Even though the Texans likely won't make it, its fun to be part of the "hair above mediocre" crowd who gets to play with stuff in the final week. :D

I do believe this is a first.
Mods, Original Members, correct me if that's wrong.
But I do believe this is brand new territory for the Texans to actually have a shot to make the playoffs.

...yeah, it's fun.

But I do believe this is brand new territory for the Texans to actually have a shot to make the playoffs.

...yeah, it's fun.

2007, 2-0, we were on top of the world... then gravity hit.

...yeah, it's fun.

With all this talk, it makes me wonder.

Will 9-7 be enough?

Or, does losing the way we lost our 4 division games in a row going to totally eclipse our first winning season?

Is 9-7 progress? If all that matters is W-Ls... is it progress?

I'm thinking the Patriots are going to rest their starters, we'll win, & our first winning season is going to have an asterisk.

No asterisk for me. Scoreboard is scoreboard, no matter how you get there. If we should finish 9-7 - making or missing the playoffs - I see progress. I can't be unhappy about our first winning season. :)

Will 9-7 be enough?

Or, does losing the way we lost our 4 division games in a row going to totally eclipse our first winning season?

I'm thinking the Patriots are going to rest their starters, we'll win, & our first winning season is going to have an asterisk.

Lol. Asterisk? Plenty of teams have backdoored their way into the playoffs. In fact, it happens every season. I'll be overjoyed if we make it. Would you want an asterisk if we pulled an Arizona Cardinals run?

Will 9-7 be enough?

asterisk smasterik..... no such thing. Phil dropped one on us and every time I go to the AT&T center i still cant find the asterisk on any one of those trophies.

Lol. Asterisk? Plenty of teams have backdoored their way into the playoffs. In fact, it happens every season. I'll be overjoyed if we make it. Would you want an asterisk if we pulled an Arizona Cardinals run?

I'm saying if they don't make it into the play-offs, & the "pro Kubiak" crowd brings up 9-7, will the "soap-on-a-rope" club not acknowledge (the one point they've been making) that the W-L is all that matters, and concede progress?

Or will they harp on the division record & our 0-4 losing streak, & pointlessly remind us that they are only 9-7 because the last game of the season was meaningless?

I'm saying if they don't make it into the play-offs, & the "pro Kubiak" crowd brings up 9-7, will the "soap-on-a-rope" club not acknowledge (the one point they've been making) that the W-L is all that matters, and concede progress?

Or will they harp on the division record & our 0-4 losing streak, & pointlessly remind us that they are only 9-7 because the last game of the season was meaningless?

Meaningless? If we're 9-7, the season will NOT be meaningless. We will be in the hunt for an additional three hours at minimum. Nothing has been meaningless. We can reflect as to the losses if we end up being eliminated but if we're in... No asterisk necessary. It's a ridiculous notion but i respect your line of thinking. I don't agree with it on any level. We're in the thick of it all at 9-7 and i'll take it. That's life in the NFL. You take what you get and you play football.

Last edited:
Meaningless? If we're 9-7, the season will NOT be meaningless. We will be in the hunt for an additional three hours at minimum. Nothing has been meaningless. We can reflect as to the losses if we end up being eliminated but if we're in... No asterisk necessary. It's a ridiculous notion but i respect your line of thinking. I don't agree with it on any level. We're in the thick of it all at 9-7 and i'll take it. That's life in the NFL. You take what you get and you play football.

I agree with you whole heartedly.

...yeah, it's fun.

It is for sure going into the last game of the season.

At least the final game of the season has some meaning to it, other than just being the last live game before the dreaded offseason.

I am not holding out any hopes for post season though, it just doesn't seem like the city of Houston has any damn luck when it comes to pro sports. But even reality doesn't take away from the fact we are actually playing a meaningful game the last week of the season. :)

When are they gonna post the @#$% TV map? The one positive of Indy taking a dive is that the Texans now have the best early match-up on CBS.....I am hopeful. :D

From raiderfans.net:

we might have a chance

it seems like we win one and tank the next week

win at KC
next week we tank against Denver

beat philly
next week we tank against the jets

beat cin
next week we tank against dallas

beat pitt
next week we tank against washington

beat denver
well tank against the browns

so we are due for a win

Not gonna happen. This is what I'm looking at:

NE @ Houston "Houston W"
Pitt @ Miami "Miami L"----This could go either way, since it's in Miami, but look what these teams did this week...
Balt @ Oakland "Oakland L"
KC @ Denver "KC L"
Cin @ NY Jets "Cincinatti L"

We're gonna be the best team not to make the playoffs this year. :brickwall:

Remember how Philadephia got in last year? It required an "act of god".
It happened.
Here was their scenario that actually rolled their direction:

The Eagles still can make the playoffs after coming up small at Washington earlier today, but they need some funky things to happen next week.

First, they have to beat the Cowboys. Second, Tampa Bay has to lose at home to Oakland.

Providing that criteria is met, the Eagles will also need either Minnesota to lose to the Giants or the Bears to lose one of their two final games -- to Green Bay tomorrow night or to Houston next Sunday.

Forget ties. For example, if the Eagles and Bears wind up with the same record, the Bears go by virtue of beating the Eagles head-to-head. If the Eagles and Vikings wind up with the same record, the Vikings will go because of the second tiebreaker (best record in the conference).

So suffice it to say that the Eagles aren't in very good shape, because for the Bucs to lose at home to Oakland next week, it will require an act of God, and he's got way too much on his plate right now to be worrying about what's going on in the NFL.

LINK

Remember how Philadephia got in last year? It required an "act of god".
It happened.

I am just hoping we don't get the "act of God" and then not capitalize ala a certain other team a few years ago.

The Curse > Vince Young.

There's no way the Titans make the playoffs. All they needed was:

KC to beat Jacksonville - Check
Pittsburgh to beat Cincinnati - Check
SF to beat Denver - Check!?!?

Win their own game - D'OH!!

Only in Hous......I mean Nashville. THANKS BUD!!!!

Well, this year, the Patriots have nothing to play for. They have the home Wild Card game, but have to go on the road from then on. Maybe Bill rests the starters? Maybe??

Well, this year, the Patriots have nothing to play for. They have the home Wild Card game, but have to go on the road from then on. Maybe Bill rests the starters? Maybe??

Who gives a **** whether or not who they bench. I know i don't! I'm ready for some hardnosed football. It's all or nothing whoever plays for the patriots. I'm so ready for Sunday.

Who gives a **** whether or not who they bench. I know i don't! I'm ready for some hardnosed football. It's all or nothing whoever plays for the patriots. I'm so ready for Sunday.

Who gives a ****? We should probably give a ****. If the Patriots go all out, I don't see us winning the game. The Texans better come out and play four quarters of football. Something they haven't done all year.

Back