Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

PFW write up on DD & Hollings

edo783

Hall of Fame
Texans RBs Domanick Davis and Tony Hollings are earning praise for their preparation and development entering their second season. Davis, who rushed for 1,031 yards as a rookie, has added some needed muscle, according to RB coach Chick Harris. There is concern in some quarters that the 5-9, 216-pound Davis is not big and durable enough to be a full-time back, but Harris believes Davis has the stature and body type not unlike other backs in the league. “I think any time you run the ball 20-25 times a game, you have a chance for injury,” Harris said of Davis, who missed a pair of games in 2003. “I think what we have to do is monitor practice and what he does during the season so he can remain fresh throughout the season and cross our fingers on the injury factor.” Hollings will spell Davis to start the season, but he has the physical skills to eventually challenge for a bigger role. Hollings spent his rookie season working his way back into form after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee at Georgia Tech in September 2002, but Harris reports the back is “more confident” about his knee because of offseason conditioning. “Physically, he’s stronger now, and he should kick into what type of player he’s going to be this year,” Harris said.

Past Houston WWHI >

I know that Hollings is a edge runner and has great speed once he gets outside...don't know that much else about him. How are his hands and blocking ability? Just curious, I never got to see him play in college so I am not sure where he would have ended up in the draft if he had not been injured.

J-Man said:
I know that Hollings is a edge runner and has great speed once he gets outside...don't know that much else about him. How are his hands and blocking ability? Just curious, I never got to see him play in college so I am not sure where he would have ended up in the draft if he had not been injured.

Saw some college tape on him and he was not just an edge runner there. If he has his confidence back we may see a whole different RB out there this year. He picked a bunch of passes off as a DB in HS, while playing both QB and DB, so would think his hands are ok. Would bet his blocking is something that needs work since his prior positions, QB & DB won't have prepared him for that role. Who knows where he would have gone. He went in the 2nd with the injury. His college carreer pre-injury was: "92 carries, 633 yards rushing (6.9 yards per carry), 11 touchdowns and, last but not least, zero fumbles." If he had kept that up one would have to guess he would have gone in the 1st even though Georgia Tech doesn't play a premier schedule. He has to know that if he wants anything but a reliever role he is really going to have to turn it on this year--hopefully that motivates him.

What kind of offense do you think we would be if Hollings turned out to be a good back and we had a very good 1,2 punch combo in the back field. Remeber Thurman Thomas and Ken Davis?

I'm hoping the Hollings provides the type of big plays that Westbrook did for the Eagles last season.

Do you think we will ever see DD and Hollings in the backfield at the same time? If Hollings is fast enough, then he could be an excellent screen option.

rittenhouserobz said:
Do you think we will ever see DD and Hollings in the backfield at the same time? If Hollings is fast enough, then he could be an excellent screen option.
Maybe in splitback, you wont see much of it. But Palmer might confuse defenses using that, each player could take the sweep and you cant shift too much one way.

Back