Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[PFW] June, Adibi in mix for WLB job, but Texans may still target OLBs on Draft Day

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+South/Houston/WWHI/2009/wwhi041009.htm

Newly signed Cato June will push Xavier Adibi for the Texans’ starting weak-side LB role, the way we hear it. June, 29, had a couple of very productive seasons for the Colts before moving to the Buccaneers for the 2007 and ’08 campaigns. The 6-foot, 227-pound June has been strongest in pass coverage throughout his career, and the Texans are seeking to fare better in this area after finishing 17th in passing yards allowed per game and 25th in yards per pass play allowed in 2008. Adibi notched 35 tackles in seven games (five starts) in 2008, his rookie season. Adibi, like June, is known for his speed. From what we’re hearing, the signing of June does not necessarily mean the Texans would not avoid drafting an outside linebacker with the No. 15 pick, given their need to continue to improve that position.

This is good. Competition can only lead to better performance. Either way we have a player pushing the guy in front of him and keeping him at his best. Or if one goes down then the other steps in with out much drop in production. Maybe even Adibi can watch how June works and improves his coverage abilities.

Well I would certainly HOPE it wouldn't change our draft plans. I guess this is news to the PFW people. To me it seems fairly obvious. I mean - Cato June is not going to play the SAM in our system unless there's an injury.

So we have potential for improvement at DE, DT, OLB, CB, and S. We've signed an upper echelon player at DE,and mid-level players at DT and OLB. We haven't added any real players at CB, or S (ie. I'm not including the re-signing of Wilson and franchising Dunta). Makes me suspicious that they haven't addressed these positions because they are targeting secondary early. We have a decent set of CB's to go forward with, but I'd be surprised if they didn't add another decent prospect at S to compete with Barber and Ferguson.

FWIW, John McClain stated pretty adamently this morning that the Texans would not be drafting Cushing.

Where did he state this? And did he give a reason why?

I think I heard what he was talking about. He didnt really give a reason... at least in the snippit I heard. Just that if Cushing is there we are not going to take him. He also thinks Jenkins is definitely going to NO... so that leaves us Matthews or a trade back imo. At least if you are listening to what McClain has to say.

Back