Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Passing Offense

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
This game resembled the Detroit game. Every intermediate and short pass Carr threw to a receiver had a DB breaking on and making a play on the ball. The Detroit game was the same way... I'm not sure if this is a result of bad route running or poor scheming. Whatever it is, I'd rather see our recievers running free through the defense like I watch every time the opposing team has a 3rd and 8-10 against us.

Can we get to 4WR sets? I said it before. Andre has Owens/Moss makeup, but we just don't have a McNabb/Owen combo. Not right now anyway. You can't focus on that every game to the point where you try to force into double or safety spy/zone coverage. Get the TE involved and use 4 wide. You're not going to get receivers running free anywhere if you don't distract D with a TE or 3-4 WR's. The 3-4 defense has to be alternated with some other D to get pressure on the QB too. 3 men on 5-6 linemen won't get you there too often if you ask me.

well the point of the 3-4 is for the o-linemen to try to double up on the D-line and that will leave a opening for the linebackers to get to the QB. It is a good scheme if you utilize it correctly !

TexansTrueFan said:
well the point of the 3-4 is for the o-linemen to try to double up on the D-line and that will leave a opening for the linebackers to get to the QB. It is a good scheme if you utilize it correctly !

Yes, i can only agree. Can see it working in SD as well. The threat of any LB coming on a blitz is what forces attention as well.

TexansTrueFan said:

Yeah, that's the point but where have the LB been from what you remember after the play was over? I only recall them being on the heels of a QB 3 or 4 times within the last couple of games. That's what I'm saying. I don't mean drop the 3-4, but I don't recall them shooting in too often, but I do recall seeing them chase a back down in the flat, or leaving the middle open for a pass. You can sacrifice a portion of the middle, but then where have the sacks been? idonno:

dalemurphy said:
This game resembled the Detroit game. Every intermediate and short pass Carr threw to a receiver had a DB breaking on and making a play on the ball. The Detroit game was the same way... I'm not sure if this is a result of bad route running or poor scheming. Whatever it is, I'd rather see our recievers running free through the defense like I watch every time the opposing team has a 3rd and 8-10 against us.

I agree, man. It seems that we just lack the ability to locate that soft spot in defensive coverage. It is always a hit-or-miss thing with our offense, but other teams sure find our defensive soft spot in a hurry!

I'm just confused why the TE's haven't been more effective. There is always a give and take with defensive schemes. They take the corners away, we throw in the middle. They take the short passes away, we should take the long routes. We just don't seem to pick apart defenses the way I see other teams do it.

Maybe it's lack of a consistent pocket protection? I know Cover 2 defenses are hard against the pass, so maybe the counter is the running game, which is one of our glaring weaknesses. It goes back the OL. We don't control the trenches, so we can't establish a balanced game to exploit whatever the defense is showing us.

I wonder if the zone blocking will be with us next year...if so, I hope that we get the talent to properly implement it! I think that's the key to it all.

I think you just hit something there. David is hurried alot in our games. Even in our wins. The other opposing teams quarterback gets to stand up right, pump fake and allow a receiver to get open. Until we can do that our offense won't be where it needs to be and until we can hurry QBs, they will continue to break down our defense.

Next year we need to concentrate on controlling the LOS.

Back