Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Passes defensed??

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How many passes defensed did the Texans have in 2022?

Seems to me it's been a long time since the Texans actually challenged receivers on a regular basis. I'm thinking back when KJax was still playing Corner. Since then it seems the focus has been on quickly tackling the receiver as to limit "big plays."

In 2022 they had 65 passes defensed, which put them 22nd in the league for the category.

The previous years are as follows..

2021 - 64 - 23rd
2020 - 50 - 30th
2019 - 75 - t9th
2018 - 90 - 2nd
2017 - 58 - t27th

2017 and 2018 were Jackson's last two with the Texans. He tied his career high for the stat in 2018 with 17. The other time he registered that high a number was in 2012.

In 2012 the team led the league in passes defensed with 116. That total was also 20 more than the next best team.

Hope that helps whatever it is you're looking for..

That's one of those stats that need a deeper dig.. if a cb has a lot of passes defensed, that means the opponent is throwing his way alot. Good corners get thrown away from. Opp competition % and yds given up per attempt are better indicators as well as pass breakups.

They were giving up so much rushing, teams didn't have to pass on them
Maybe... Rushing TDs highlighted.

1693787488785.png

Passing TDs. Look where the Bears, Browns, Lions, & Cardinals are.

1693787626815.png

Thank you. Good stuff. But they’re saying the Texans gave up less passing TDs than anyone else. A lot less than most teams.

That can’t be right.
The Texans had 27 TDs total between run and pass.
The opponents tallied 25 rushing TDs alone.
They averaged 5.1ypc on the ground against the Texans.

That's part of the reason why the Texans weren't blown out of games much.
Teams know they can control the game.
They had more passing yards than the Texans, with fewer pass attempts.
But the real difference was in the running game.
The opponents ended up with 2,894 yards rushing compared to 1,476 yards for the Texans.
That's nearly double.
They know they can just run down the Texans' throat while letting their QBs cruise.

Are you saying that our passing defense was better than we thought it was?

If you look just at points allowed, the Texans were the 6th worst last year. If you look at total yards allowed, the Texans were the 3rd worst, but if you look at yards per play, we were the 7th worst. If you look at takeaways, we were like tied for 4th BEST in the league.

In other words, our defense was not the worst last year.

But if you look at our offense... on average, we only had about 5 plays per drive, worst in the league. And our drives lasted 2:29 minutes and got 24 yards.

In other words, our offense kept putting our defense back on the field, letting it wear down, and making it look a lot worse than it actually was.

But it's a team sport. Complimentary football. All that stuff.

If you look just at points allowed, the Texans were the 6th worst (27th rank) last year. If you look at total yards allowed, the Texans were the 3rd worst (30th rank), but if you look at yards per play, we were the 7th worst (25th rank). If you look at takeaways, we were like tied for 4th BEST in the league.

In other words, our defense was not the worst last year.
The 2022 defense may not have been the worst in some stats but it was bad just like the offense. If teams wanted to attack with the pass as much as the run, I have no doubt they would have been just as successful. The defense couldn't get stops and our offense couldn't sustain anything. That's a perfect marriage on a bad team. Let's hope they have turned the page.

I'm saying I'm surprised that our passing defense gave up less touchdowns than other teams. The simple explanations given don't explain that phenomenon. As you explained it's about more than our poor run defense.

Again, I'm not trying to make a statement about anything. Other than I'm surprised our pass defense gave up less touchdowns than other teams. I did not expect to see that.

2022 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

You have to kinda search for it, but the third section in the Defensive Stats is the Passing Defense and there's a PD column that shows the total passes defensed per team.
This is a great site. Thanks.

If I'm reading this correctly, for the offense, Mills and his passing was not the total disaster some lay on him. Now this is not to say Stroud shouldn't have been selected, but the team ranking for passing offense was 25th. Not good and improvement needed, but also not the worst.

But take a look at our team ranking for rushing offense - 31st.

As pointed out, our offense was not sustaining drives and forcing our defense onto the field. It's our run game that needed the most attention.

If I'm reading this correctly, for the offense, Mills and his passing was not the total disaster some lay on him. Now this is not to say Stroud shouldn't have been selected, but the team ranking for passing offense was 25th. Not good and improvement needed, but also not the worst.

As pointed out, our offense was not sustaining drives and forcing our defense onto the field. It's our run game that needed the most attention.
Lots of time, it was the game plan.
The Texans threw the ball a lot, many short and safe passes.

Look at the Broncos game, for example.
The Texans did not trail until the fourth quarter.
Pierce was 15 for 69 yds and Driskell ran once for 10.
But the Texans still had Mill go to the air 38 times.

Same thing with the Bears game, Pierce was 20 for 80.
They could have run him more.

In the Chargers game, Mills' Int put the Texans in a hole early.
Despite 131 yards on 14 carries by Pierce, the Texans decided to throw the ball.

They did right in the win against the Jags. Pierce was 26 for 99 yds and Burkhead 3 for 15.
Mills was 16-24 for 140 yards.
That's how the Texans should have played.

Same thing in the Raiders game, the Texans didn't trail until the fourth quarter.
Pierce was 20-82
Burkhead 2-8
Dare O. 1-8

Mills went to the air 41 times.

Against the Eagles, the backs went 29 for 151 yards, but Mills threw 2 Ints

In the Giants game, the backs were 19 for 101 yards.
For some reasons, Mills threw the ball 46 times.

Basically, Mills was never consistent enough, even when Pierce was in there, but the coaches could and should lean on the running game more.

Texans haven't been good against the run since Wilfork or Reader. With an inconsistent offence at best, bad dline, why would opponents commit to the pass?

On the edges, yes. Interior, not a believer. Better inside in years, yes. Good, nope. All depends on the lbs, no faith there
I'm a believer that a rotation of Collins, Ridgway, Rankings is a major upgrade. Also an improved LB corps lead by Perryman will lead to a much better run defense this yr.

I'm a believer that a rotation of Collins, Ridgway, Rankings is a major upgrade. Also an improved LB corps lead by Perryman will lead to a much better run defense this yr.
True. But could have improved without an oft injured 30 yr lb who is a downhill player. Is he that much of an upgrade?

Better than last year, but all are just rotational on good defenses. None stand out

I want to agree, but Will and Sam have injury issues. When CnnnD pointed this out a few days ago, it became a concern.

That's one of those stats that need a deeper dig.. if a cb has a lot of passes defensed, that means the opponent is throwing his way alot. Good corners get thrown away from. Opp competition % and yds given up per attempt are better indicators as well as pass breakups.

agreed although I’m not convinced that there’s a good stat to track how good a cb is. There’s just so much that goes into the position and it is a position that is highly dependent on the pass rush & what you’re asked to do.

I’d like to see some nerd come up with a stat like qbr for corners.

agreed although I’m not convinced that there’s a good stat to track how good a cb is. There’s just so much that goes into the position and it is a position that is highly dependent on the pass rush & what you’re asked to do.

QBR for CB's... c'mon bro, it's called the eye test! Typically employed by fans who don't know the CB's responsibilities on a play, but know it when they see it.

1693951818549.png

:sarcasm:

That's basically what the PFF grades are.

That's basically what the PFF grades are.

It’s still a little too subjective. Where the PFF grade fails for every position it grades is it’s dependent on the interpretation of the person watching the film in terms of what they think was supposed to happen on a play by play basis.

Last year Sauce Gardner disputed the interpretation of a TD given up that PFF credited to him. He said that it wasn’t o. Him but on the safety who was late coming over.

there outta be a way to create a risk-model type of rating or score using just the raw stats that award certain coefficients to refect the complexities. Man coverage is just inherently harder to play than zone and it should be able to reflected in a rating system. Likewise a guy asked to play in a bend-but don’t break scheme like lovie’s…the raw stats themselves just aren’t going to ever reflect favorably on a cb…especially a cb who has no pash rush to help lessen the time in which he has to cover.

It’s still a little too subjective. Where the PFF grade fails for every position it grades is it’s dependent on the interpretation of the person watching the film in terms of what they think was supposed to happen on a play by play basis.

Last year Sauce Gardner disputed the interpretation of a TD given up that PFF credited to him. He said that it wasn’t o. Him but on the safety who was late coming over.

there outta be a way to create a risk-model type of rating or score using just the raw stats that award certain coefficients to refect the complexities. Man coverage is just inherently harder to play than zone and it should be able to reflected in a rating system. Likewise a guy asked to play in a bend-but don’t break scheme like lovie’s…the raw stats themselves just aren’t going to ever reflect favorably on a cb…especially a cb who has no pash rush to help lessen the time in which he has to cover.
Listen to beerlover when it comes to CB's at draft time.

Back