Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Overall fan response not what I expected

Heck, I always stay until the end even if it's a PS game, a basketball game, anything really. I can understand that some folks have other obligation afterward though.

You pay so much for the ticket to get in that when I do get to go I get every seconds worth out of it.

because the texans were suppose to be this great team but when they play prime time games they can barely beat the jets, get crushed by green bay, and barely beat jason campbell.

those games were suppose to showcase our great team but the texans underwhelmed and underperformed.

Cant blame the fans and media for their reluctant approach.

All that matters for the texans are playoff wins.

did yall see that picture of all the texans fan at that Silver ball thing in CHI someone post that

530976_10151175678349342_1588769709_n.jpg

Yall Should see whats happening in San Antonio...heh heh

Ill post pics soon but check out Houston Texans Fan Club of San Antonio on FB. Last night we had party and it was packed. We have over 900 members.(or people who like page...whatever)

Pretty cool...not as monolithic for Dallas as you have been led to believe.

I get more response now than I have in the past when I wear Texans' gear. They play Texans games now here in Dallas almost every week.

But we don't get a lot of media attention because we're not a story. We've got the quietest WRs in the league. We've got one of the calmest QBs in the league. Even most of our defensive players aren't THAT in your face. Our guys aren't going out and shooting people or getting busted or hitting their girlfriends or anything. Our coaching staff could give classes in not giving the other team bulletin board material, always being respectful of the talent of the players on the other team no matter their record.

So most people don't identify with our players. They don't get a chance to learn who our guys are.

BUT.

We had to take a connection through Cincinnati. As I was walking onto the plane, the stewardess pointed at my shirt and said, "You guys are 8-1!" Which was a surprise. Later on, she came by and talked to us. She'd been watching the game in Mexico. When she found out we'd been at the game her response was... "Shut up!" It was kinda cool.

I get more response now than I have in the past when I wear Texans' gear. They play Texans games now here in Dallas almost every week.

But we don't get a lot of media attention because we're not a story. We've got the quietest WRs in the league. We've got one of the calmest QBs in the league. Even most of our defensive players aren't THAT in your face. Our guys aren't going out and shooting people or getting busted or hitting their girlfriends or anything. Our coaching staff could give classes in not giving the other team bulletin board material, always being respectful of the talent of the players on the other team no matter their record.

So most people don't identify with our players. They don't get a chance to learn who our guys are.

BUT.

We had to take a connection through Cincinnati. As I was walking onto the plane, the stewardess pointed at my shirt and said, "You guys are 8-1!" Which was a surprise. Later on, she came by and talked to us. She'd been watching the game in Mexico. When she found out we'd been at the game her response was... "Shut up!" It was kinda cool.

So...was she Hot? :shades:

Actually, I think this town is more Texans crazy than I've ever seen it..

OH YEAH!!
:koolaid:

TJ

Agreed. I see more people wearing the gear, car flags, etc. than ever before.

As for people leaving the stadium early, I never do, but it happens everywhere. There were a lot of empty seats at the end of the Steelers game Monday night.

Do people in Houston still fail to have Reliant filled at KO ? That's a sign of poor
fan support, but many in Houston don't seem to have a clue about that ?

It is probably just me but Texans just don't seem to be getting the fan explosion I expected and hoped for. Perhaps if I am correct, it is just caution by many fans to avoid that let down of "fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice...".

Even on this MB where I've come to expect rabid and vociferous comments defending a writer's opinion, the tone just seems to be flat recently. Maybe it is just the bye week, midseason spot we find ourselves in. 7-1 going to Chicago I was expecting an explosion of chest thumping. I have not seen the avalanche of new fans (so called bandwagoners) to this message board. I have even decreased my listening to radio talk shows as it is the same blah blah but seemingly little fan excitement. This is despite getting the "all important" national coverage and some admisssion that Houston does have an NFL football team. Heck we are even picked by some experts to go to that Heaven on earth called Super Bowl.

This came to an head after the game against Buffalo as the team played (what is the right word?) not as well as I expected. Well the fans did not react as I expected either; more like "well glad that one is behind us, but not a looking forward to Bears either". I am basically a take it one game at a time guy but where is the maniacal fan base that I lived through during Luv Ya Blue era?
I haven't read the thread but this isn't high school (yay school spirit) and being "ranked" no1 in the Nation means nothing when you have a playoff system and I personally think that this team is good but not great (weakass AFC). If and when we get to a AFC title game or the SB and you will see all the bandwagon stuff. Till then I think we have more of a smarter, more savvy football fan down here in Houston. This fan isn't going to get all that excited about a decent team getting run out of the playoffs by Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If and when we beat those guys in the playoffs I think you will be able to "feel" more over the top fan reaction.

Yall Should see whats happening in San Antonio...heh heh

Ill post pics soon but check out Houston Texans Fan Club of San Antonio on FB. Last night we had party and it was packed. We have over 900 members.(or people who like page...whatever)

Pretty cool...not as monolithic for Dallas as you have been led to believe.
this is what I have been looking for. Maybe the tidal wave is just forming. I don't think a win at Jacksonville will impact fan response much as to be expected. Still 9-1 is darn good. :clap:

Do people in Houston still fail to have Reliant filled at KO ? That's a sign of poor
I don't agree. That's a sign of people failing to leave awesome tailgates. That's a sign of a lot of corporate owned seats. That's a sign of terrible traffic on game days. That's a sign of fans watching the game from places other than their seats. That's a sign of slow/overloaded vendors before the game starts.

IMO - Poor fan support is when you still see tons of empty seats somewhere in the middle of the game. Yes, fans should get in their seats earlier. That's always been the case for Texans games. See above. It still doesn't mean empty seats at kick off means poor fan support.

I haven't read the thread but this isn't high school (yay school spirit) and being "ranked" no1 in the Nation means nothing when you have a playoff system and I personally think that this team is good but not great (weakass AFC). If and when we get to a AFC title game or the SB and you will see all the bandwagon stuff. Till then I think we have more of a smarter, more savvy football fan down here in Houston. This fan isn't going to get all that excited about a decent team getting run out of the playoffs by Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If and when we beat those guys in the playoffs I think you will be able to "feel" more over the top fan reaction.

:goodpost:

Summed up my exact thoughts far better than I could.

rep

Posts like this is why I believe what I said.

Thanks to those **** faces, Houston will need to witness a Super Bowl win by the Texans to rid itself of pessimism.
Posts like this is why I believe what I said.
my view isn't pessimism. It's realism. The Stadium is packed, the tailgate lots are overflowing and the team isn't even close to being blacked out on any given Sunday. You guys act like the Stadium is half empty because not everyone is a face-painter or the forum is overflowing with "way over the top guy" spewing dumb homer chants crying about your lack of slaps on the back. Look around...everyone is excited about the team.

It isn't pessimism to say that the fans won't be overwhelmed with more Oiler-style success. If that is as good as it gets...fine, but I have the opinion that we won't see the type of following that the Cowboys get or the Patriots get or the Steelers get until we do what the Cowboys or the Patriots and the Steelers have done...win some Super Bowls. Until then we will get what the Falcons get or the Bills get...fans happy with the team but no over the top fan reaction like the teams get when they win it all a time or two.

I have the opinion that we won't see the type of following that the Cowboys get or the Patriots get or the Steelers get until we do what the Cowboys or the Patriots and the Steelers have done...win some Super Bowls.

Not just that but those fan bases are based on prolonged winning.

The Cowboys have had periods of 17 of 18 years (still a winning season when they missed) and 8 of 9 years in the playoffs.

The Patriots are 9 of 11 years with the two out of the playoffs being 11-5 and 9-7.

The Steelers have missed the playoffs 13 times in the last 40 years.

Between them they have 14 Super Bowl wins.

We're hoping for our 2nd playoff trip ever.

my view isn't pessimism. It's realism. The Stadium is packed, the tailgate lots are overflowing and the team isn't even close to being blacked out on any given Sunday. You guys act like the Stadium is half empty because not everyone is a face-painter or the forum is overflowing with "way over the top guy" spewing dumb homer chants crying about your lack of slaps on the back. Look around...everyone is excited about the team.

It isn't pessimism to say that the fans won't be overwhelmed with more Oiler-style success. If that is as good as it gets...fine, but I have the opinion that we won't see the type of following that the Cowboys get or the Patriots get or the Steelers get until we do what the Cowboys or the Patriots and the Steelers have done...win some Super Bowls. Until then we will get what the Falcons get or the Bills get...fans happy with the team but no over the top fan reaction like the teams get when they win it all a time or two.

I'm fine with what you are saying, but to drop the "realism" card is a bother. Realism about an 8-1 football team? What exactly are you being realistic about? We aren't talking about a fringe contender with an 5-4 record, saying..."ehh, MAYBE we're a playoff team?"

The "Don't get too close, she'll break your heart" mentality is at work here.

With Super Bowls, I think this city's fans would be Giants fan-like; even with multiple titles. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it. "Yeah, we won those, but..."

And don't bring up ATL, please. That fan base is horrid with ALL their teams.

Lastly, cak. That's why I mentioned the Oilers. Even if this franchise saw Carolina/Jacksonville-like success, would we really not have this thread?

yes its still a poor showing at KO even a couple weeks ago when we were honoring our service men and women pregame

I'm fine with what you are saying, but to drop the "realism" card is a bother. Realism about an 8-1 football team? What exactly are you being realistic about? We aren't talking about a fringe contender with an 5-4 record, saying..."ehh, MAYBE we're a playoff team?"

With Super Bowls, I think this city's fans would be Giants fan-like; even with multiple titles. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it. "Yeah, we won those, but..."

Lastly, cak. That's why I mentioned the Oilers. Even if this franchise saw Carolina/Jacksonville-like success, would we really not have this thread?
You have a problem with my "realism"? That's funny since I'm a pretty straight forward guy. I still don't see what you are trying to argue about. My earlier post clearly states that I think that everyone is enjoying the team....so don't strawman me. I just said that just because everyone is not "face-painter" happy its because our fan base is more in line with the fans disposition in Atlanta (never won anything). This thread is about the "Overall fan response not being what I expected". I'm just calling it what it is. Do I really seem like a fan that doesn't want to get too close to the team? come on man. :pirate:

I guess I'm confused over what the heck you expect.

I expect to see more than one guy wearing apparel when I shop at Walmart, Kroger or when I am at a gathering of people. I want to hear conversation at the pool (ok so weather changing that) about Texans that I do not begin. I want people in line at a restaurant to talk about how well Texans are doing.

Yeah Vinny, it is exactly high school rah, rah. Houston has lost an NFL team and waited 15 years to get where we are with Texans. Football is this city's heart beat. We should be 9-1 Sunday about 3:30 and it will be ho hum. Reliant holds about 70,000 + some tailgaters who do not enter so while that is a rabid audience, it is a drop in the Houston area populace.

Dallas & New England had great fan support before they won all those Super Bowls so unfair comparison imo. I am not seeing the "band wagon fans" I expected. We often have posts about recognition ffrom national media and we can not get it up with our own people.

You have a problem with my "realism"? That's funny since I'm a pretty straight forward guy. I still don't see what you are trying to argue about. My earlier post clearly states that I think that everyone is enjoying the team....so don't strawman me. I just said that just because everyone is not "face-painter" happy its because our fan base is more in line with the fans disposition in Atlanta (never won anything). This thread is about the "Overall fan response not being what I expected". I'm just calling it what it is. Do I really seem like a fan that doesn't want to get too close to the team? come on man. :pirate:

I guess the only thing I'm TRYING to say is that, to me, old stuff from franchise past has folks being more...let's call it "cautious".

And with that, I'll always sit and wonder why. Other than that, I got nothing.

I expect to see more than one guy wearing apparel when I shop at Walmart, Kroger or when I am at a gathering of people. I want to hear conversation at the pool (ok so weather changing that) about Texans that I do not begin. I want people in line at a restaurant to talk about how well Texans are doing.

Yeah Vinny, it is exactly high school rah, rah. Houston has lost an NFL team and waited 15 years to get where we are with Texans. Football is this city's heart beat. We should be 9-1 Sunday about 3:30 and it will be ho hum. Reliant holds about 70,000 + some tailgaters who do not enter so while that is a rabid audience, it is a drop in the Houston area populace.

Dallas & New England had great fan support before they won all those Super Bowls so unfair comparison imo. I am not seeing the "band wagon fans" I expected. We often have posts about recognition ffrom national media and we can not get it up with our own people.

Well, I'm a little confused as to where this multitude of bandwagon fans will come from. I see only two possibilities...

1. A vast, undecided, potential fanbase that has been lurking underground just waiting for us to have a great season - which this has been so far - so they can BUST out and let their fanhood shine thru.

2. For us to convert great masses of fans of other teams to foresake their current allegiances and become full-blown Texans fans.

Regarding #1, we're only ten years old. And for most of that time we did not inspire folks to become Texans' fans with our less than stellar play. And a great many football fans - even in those living in Houston - grew up rooting for other teams. Which brings me to #2. When you grow up rooting for a team, that allegiance is tough to break. Something seriously drastic would have to happen - say moving the team to Tennessee - to cause them to switch their allegiance. And even those folks may be totally turned off of football or have found another team to root for.

I just don't see where this ground swell you expect will come from.

Well, I'm a little confused as to where this multitude of bandwagon fans will come from. I see only two possibilities...

1. A vast, undecided, potential fanbase that has been lurking underground just waiting for us to have a great season - which this has been so far - so they can BUST out and let their fanhood shine thru.

2. For us to convert great masses of fans of other teams to foresake their current allegiances and become full-blown Texans fans.

Regarding #1, we're only ten years old. And for most of that time we did not inspire folks to become Texans' fans with our less than stellar play. And a great many football fans - even in those living in Houston - grew up rooting for other teams. Which brings me to #2. When you grow up rooting for a team, that allegiance is tough to break. Something seriously drastic would have to happen - say moving the team to Tennessee - to cause them to switch their allegiance. And even those folks may be totally turned off of football or have found another team to root for.

I just don't see where this ground swell you expect will come from.
They come from same place as last season. Don't you remember the lengthy thread on band wagoners? We had another early this season IIRC.

If you're expecting people to get on a message board or call a radio station and rah, rah, rah it up, that's just not going to happen. You're not going to call a radio station and say, "hey, how 'bout those Texans? Looking good! Out." This is a society of complainers and that's hard to do when you're 8-1. Look at the threads about are the Texans getting enough national respect or the Oilers would have lost this game. We have to make things up to complain about it's so good now.

But out and about, fan response is through the roof, at least in the greater metro area, from what I see on a daily basis. Stores are packed with Texans stuff - even a Valero. More and more people are wearing the gear, car flags, Texans logos on the back window of their vehicles, it's all over the place. More than I've ever seen. So I don't know what the OP was expecting, but I don't think we're too far away from rivaling the Luv Ya Blue days. And an AFC title game at Reliant just might do the trick.

Back