Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Opinions on Carr's performance...

keyfro said:
as far as carr's play thus far...i must say he has been ify to put it nicely...he starts the games horribly but finishes nice...he needs to be more concistant and be nice throughout the entire game...starting 0-7 with an int is just plan bad...something i would expect a 7th round rookie to start...and i know a lot of people will argue whether or not carr should have been benched his rookie year like pennington and palmer...personally i think to bring in a rookie QB that you are making your franchise QB is to start him a few games into his rookie season...but that's just me...but back onto carr...i think by the time the season gets to the halfway mark we will see carr really blossum to the QB we have wished he would become...but so far he has been horrible...anytime you have more int's then td's your horrible

Horrible? Carson Palmer and Ken Dorsey are horrible. However, by your definition of horrible, Carr is in good company with Steve McNair (1td, 2Int). I would love Carr to be as horrible as McNair.

i think thirdeyebc hit the nail on the head a page or so back...on a post you guys paid no attention to in a mad dash to torch carr.

carr missed at least 1 day of practice this week with the flu. in the 1st quarter his timeing was clearly off. he was consitently behind his reciever before adjusting and then overthrowing most of his passes. by the end of the game he settled down but never played great. what he did do was give the team a chance to win.

on his interception : carr was on the move, under pressure, and threw a pass his reciever slipped on and never fought for.

as for his previous interceptions in the season? lions game...didnt see it all --- no comment. san diego? 2 ints. 1 batted ball. 1 pass in wich he had a lineman rolling up his ankle. do the math. how many int's is carr REALLY responsible for this season?

(back to kc)

did some of you guys forget we lost davis early on in the game and never had a serious running threat the defense had to respect?

as for the offensive line this year and in this game?

a. new line coach
b. new scheme
c. new left tackle (wand)
d. new left guard (pitts)
e. new right tackle (wade)
and f. todd washington/weary at right guard for the kc game who are clearly not ready to start.

what do you expect carr to do with 2.5 seconds? read the defense, pick a reciever, throw the ball, and stay on the move? if you had visions of a superbowl type o-line this season you need to lose those delusions in a hurry. as long as thats the case carr can only be judged unfairly. you guys need to relax about carr. this team has enough legitimate issues to worry about without conjuring new ones...

My bottomline overall on Carr right now.

He will not be a bust, but he won't be a regular put you on his back guy either. Carr is in the Jake Plummer, Kerry Collins mold of QB. will at times look like the real thing and can even have really good years here and there, but makes enough mistakes and inconsistent enough to keep out from breaking into that top level of QB. (favre, Manning, etc)

Just what i see right now..I think I will have pretty strong opinion by the end of this year if he stays healthy and hopefully will adjust this upward at that time. :popcorn:

From what i have seen of Carr, the few times he has had the time to make plays, he could be the occasional pro-bowler who makes 3 or 4 over the course of 10 years. Its all in the offensive line. Look up and down the line and look past the "potential" and look at the production. Wand is in his first year starting, and he is just in his second season. Was supposed to be a long term project isn't exactly anchoring the line. Pitts has had a harder time transitioning over to the guard spot than i expected. McKinney is average, as is weigart. Wade is the only player on the line with any real skill, but he is much better run blocker than pass blocker. I'm almost sure that Farve or Manning would have made more bad decisions if they had that line blocking for them. We need to premier offensive lineman on this team. Either a high first round pick or a top free agent. Once Carr has time, not only will we be able to fully evaluate him, but the system will be in place if he is not deemed worthy, and his successor can step into a fully complete and functional offense.

jacquescas said:
From what i have seen of Carr, the few times he has had the time to make plays, he could be the occasional pro-bowler who makes 3 or 4 over the course of 10 years. Its all in the offensive line. Look up and down the line and look past the "potential" and look at the production. Wand is in his first year starting, and he is just in his second season. Was supposed to be a long term project isn't exactly anchoring the line. Pitts has had a harder time transitioning over to the guard spot than i expected. McKinney is average, as is weigart. Wade is the only player on the line with any real skill, but he is much better run blocker than pass blocker. I'm almost sure that Farve or Manning would have made more bad decisions if they had that line blocking for them. We need to premier offensive lineman on this team. Either a high first round pick or a top free agent. Once Carr has time, not only will we be able to fully evaluate him, but the system will be in place if he is not deemed worthy, and his successor can step into a fully complete and functional offense.
Funny you should mention Farve and Manning. Farve wasn't very good his first few years in the league - Mannings first year was horrible - and you should read what Troy Aikman has written about his first year or three of getting the heck beat out of him.

Each of them eventually got the knack of making teams *PAY* for blitzing them - particularly after their receivers caught on to reading/reacting to the blitz. If you watched the Packers/Colts game - you saw to MASTERS at beating the blitz embarassing heck out of two pretty good defenses.

What I'm getting at is David Carr is doing just about right for this stage of his career, all things considered. He is going to be one of the elite ones in years to come - appreciate what he is going through now and say "I was there when" later on.

Warm Regards from San Diego,
-=geekster=-

p.s. Congrats on the WIN! :thumbup

Why are we even talking about Carr right now and putting him over the stove, he is the least of our problems right now. In case you haven't noticed, that is a 8 on his chest and not a S. No Carr can't leap defenders with a single bound and hes only going to be as good as his line is allows him to be and to be honest I'm actually surprised that he has done as good as he has with the time that he has been allowed to throw. He got sacked 5 times in detroit and about 5 times in KC, I'm not sure how many times he got sacked in th SD game (started drinking heavily, that one tore me up) so I'm just going to say 5 times, it'll make the math eseir. At that average he will have a 80 sack season and is on pace to break his own record. That is sad and is unexcusable. I watch the sunday night game and the monday night game tonight. One thing I caught myself saying was "Man our line has never blocked like that" or "Damn Carr hasn't ever had that much time to throw". You are right though Carr will never be a elite QB unless we fix this problem and fix it fast, because there is one thing that all great QBs have and that is a great offensive line. We have a NFL team but not a NFL line, at least not right now. They need to get their **** together because they are going to get somebody hurt. I bet there is lineman in retirement that can play better. We need to call Lincoln up, get him off total access and stick hiss *** back there!! I think we need to spend our draft picks solely on d & olineman.

The truly sad thing is, if we don't fix the line issue pretty soon, we may in fact ruin David for the rest of his career. Once the happy feet, shell shocked thing gets in grained it is VERY hard to get rid of.

I know I've said that same exact thing before. I really see no excuse for the olines play so far this season. They not only can't stop my grandma from knocking David out of his shoes, but the amount of penalties they commit is ridiculous. It just shows a lack of discipline and laziness. These guys have one job and that is to protect the QB. They need to step it up and do their job.

I haven't been impressed with Carr's statistics, especially TD to INT ratio thus far but I have been impressed with his leadership. To me you are going to win alot more games with a guy like Carr as your QB especially has he gets more games under him. We were beat in Detroit yet this guy was still firing like we could come back, and he could've just lost it after creating yet another turnover on our first possession of this game and going 0 for his first 6 passes. Yet he kept it together and contributed with a TD throw on a drive that started deep in his own territory. Carr is just getting warm. We will see some better games from him and I am thinking this will happen soon.

David Carr is going to be the real good as long as he gets better o-line protection. Simple as that.The man just needs more time to see his receivers so he can make better throws.I will put no blame on Carr until he gets better protection. EVERY QB in the league would be putting up the same numbers.

Back