Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Opinions on Carr's performance...

jacquescas

Veteran
Carr after his 0-6 1 INT start finished the game 13 for 19 for all 233yards and 1 TD for a rating of over 127

overall was 19-25 233 yards 1 td 1 int for a 80 QB rating

I think he really played 2 different games out there today...

First quarter he looked pretty pathetic... Especially with the 0-6 1 INT start (Could have thrown more INTs than that at the beginning).

Second quarter - he started getting into a flow and he made a few good throws... The one long one to Johnson and one to Miller.

Third Quarter, Early Fourth - Had NO PROTECTION at all when he would drop back. Went into another 0-5 funk

Late Fourth - Looked excellent (With the help of AJ's awesome catch)... He had one overthrow to AJ, but then came back with an awesome throw to Armstrong. Still didn't have much protection, but made some things happen. Huge passes to Gaffney for the TD and to Armstrong to set up the GW FG.

Overall, I think Carr played well minus the first quarter. He got hit almost every time he dropped back. He still looks a little confused and mechanical at times, but he has the intangibles to be a great QB. (I guess it's hard to not be confused when you have no time to throw, but some of those sacks are on David. Our OLine did play horrendous this game though. I mean TERRIBLE)

He did what he needed to do this game and we won... He made 1 bad mistake, but didn't let it rattle him. He showed good poise late in a close game. That's what makes great QB's.

Carr's mistakes in this game were because of the oline offering no protection. The INT was the only mistake he made that wasn't line related.

Carr is something else... He's definatley got what it takes. This also proves he is our general and i'm really impressed with his second half performance.

Carr hung in there and didn't give up. He had another brutal, ugly first half, but he sucked it up and kept us in the game.

David makes poor decisions, but better decisions will come with time. His main problem is Line.....Both the O-Line and D-Line get pushed around every game.

It starts in the trenches. The next draft must address this issue on both sides of the ball. Without Line help....we will be grasping .500 for another 5 years.

Carr led his team to victory in the 4th quarter and that's what matters the most to me. His o-line did nothing for him and made the Chiefs d-line look like they were the Panther's d-line or something..props to Derick Armstrong in making that awesome play..a total team victory but David Carr was the man today.

I know I'm going to get kicked in the teeth by all the Carr critics, but I just don't see how you can grade his performance until he gets al least as much time to throw the ball as the opposing QB. I have yet to see a game where that has occurred.

As I've pointed out in another thread, I'm waiting to see what Carr can do when the announcer says the words, "Look at the time!" when the offense is on the field instead of the defense all the time.

I don't know. He's so up and down right now.

He plays great one series and then tanks the next. He seems to be getting alot more pressure this year which I don't understand. I thought the O line was a real strength going into the season. The interception was just brutal.

It should be interesting to see how the year plays out as far as Carr goes.

BWPaint said:
David makes poor decisions, but better decisions will come with time. His main problem is Line.....Both the O-Line and D-Line get pushed around every game.

You are absolutely correct, we need some serious help in those areas.

Both lines for the Texans looked bad today. But the play makers made it happen. I think the forgotten man in all this is J.J. I didnt realize the Texans were the only team in the NFL without a turnover on Special Teams last year. This is a tribute to J.J.. We consistantly got the ball at the 30 or better when he touched the ball, and you dont have to hold your breath eveytime he catches it. Man, Im anxious to see the injured list this week. It is sure to be long.

For all the Carr doubters, eat his 4 quarter comeback! LET THIS GUY DO WHAT HE DOES BEST!!!! Carr is a gunslinger, not a ball control QB! When the coaches realize that he is going to win more for you, than lose, the Texans O-Fense will take off!

It's hard to tell sometimes what he sees downfield. On the interception for instance Gaffney made a break and slipped as soon as Carr let go of the pass. Not saying it would have been caught, but at least maybe Gaffney is able to get to the ball.

While Mr. Carr is certainly a great young QB, the way he way babied by the referee was total bs. The Texans were handed the game with bogus personal fouls for roughing (tackling) Carr. I have not seen a referee go so far out of his way to protect a QB since Jerry Markbriet held John Elway's hand in helping him to the playoffs. Too bad such a good game was marred by such over officious official.

I agree that the roughing call was bad. But we got screwed last week on a call like that that negated an interception. It happens.

KC fans must feel like Astro fans did in June. Nothing is going their way after being a favorite to win it all. After Super Bowl IV the Chiefs have sorta been like the Oilers if you think about it. Tons of talent and nothing to show for it. We feel your pain Kansas City.

Carr was brutal in the 1st quarter. I was concerned there might be something wrong with his arm, that's how bad he was. But despite a viscous pass rush, David hung in there and made plays when he had to. And that's really the story for the whole team today. The QB gets too much credit when they win, too much blame when they lose. Carr plays his worst game of the year, and the Texans get their 1st win. Let's hope they can get another next week and get the guy a haircut. :)

bill1521 said:
While Mr. Carr is certainly a great young QB, the way he way babied by the referee was total bs. The Texans were handed the game with bogus personal fouls for roughing (tackling) Carr. I have not seen a referee go so far out of his way to protect a QB since Jerry Markbriet held John Elway's hand in helping him to the playoffs. Too bad such a good game was marred by such over officious official.

I knew that if we ever heard from KC fans, they'd be griping about the officiating. The Chiefs played an extremely undisciplined game and deserved every penalty that I saw them get. I think there was one "roughing the passer" call where I never saw the act in question. Vermiel needs to discipline his team and shut up about the referees. He also needs to see the truth when Johnson makes a spectacular catch, because he even disagreed with that call. The ball never hit the ground and Johnson only lost it when he held it straight up and squeezed it too hard with one hand--several seconds later.

bill1521 said:

This is a bunch of ****. Get real. :hehe:

Carr does not look comfortable in the pocket, it is as clear as day to see. When they does have time he is good, but that pocket closed fast a majority of the time. As far as the int goes, I think that Carr (Palmer) were just trying to game plan this game fore on the players ability to make plays rather than forcing to check down. Carr threw the ball to a man who could make the play but he just slipped and fell down. I see no problem so far in Carr throwing INT's. The line has a lot more to do with it than anything on Carrs side.

An 80 QB rating isn't going to be good enough but our offensive line played very poorly. We have to find a way to get better protection for Carr.

When you look at his play on paper, it doesn't look so bad. But, my impression of the game as a whole, has him needing to be more consistent and less predictable in staring down his favorite receiver of the drive. Try looking off secondaries, try pump faking, and don't make bad decisions. :twocents:

Memo to the O-line, TRY PROTECTING THE QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown

I wanted to get mad at him but you can't. There is no way that you can evaluate a QB when his O-line sucks that bad. He ran for his life on every play. I think all things considered, he did pretty well. Room for improvement of course but until he gets that line he won't get anywhere.

Need to focus on that line!!!

Bottle-O-Bud said:
It was bad! They were literaly on his face everytime he throws. That line look so good in paper! What the hell happened?

I'm definitely NOT making excuses for the crummy O-line, but The Chiefs were pinning their ears back and coming today cuz we had no running game. It appears they let their linebackers take care of the running back, shadowing their every move.

It doesn't help that our Offensive Tackles remain in a 2 point stance on pass plays, virtually broadcasting a pass play to the nation. It doesn't take a gifted defensive line to bull rush the QB when everybody in the stadium knows a pass is coming.

sabbat00 said:
I'm definitely NOT making excuses for the crummy O-line, but The Chiefs were pinning their ears back and coming today cuz we had no running game. It appears they let their linebackers take care of the running back, shadowing their every move.

It doesn't help that our Offensive Tackles remain in a 2 point stance on pass plays, virtually broadcasting a pass play to the nation. It doesn't take a gifted defensive line to bull rush the QB when everybody in the stadium knows a pass is coming.
The line play was sickening. But I would like to see Carr hit one of the receivers on a quick inside slant against some of those blitzes. Once the Texans/Carr demonstrate that continued blitzing will result in a foot race against AJ or Bradford, we will see some of that blitzine ease up.

Carr played great, but I still don't get why people just want him to sling it every down. This isn't a West Coast offense guys! It would be stupid to let him throw the ball every down, especially when the KC D-line is breathing down your neck. As long as I don't see us trying to run the ball in 3rd and ten, keep it balanced. As a QB, you take what you can get. Carr played great and did the best with what he had.

I was in the stands....4 rows up, right by the end zone, and GOOD LORD, quit the David Carr bashing. No, he's not the smoothest one in the batch. They threw, ran, and hit us, with there best offensive gameplan. And lo and behold, WE WON. When the game was over, said and done, we had the higher score. Over-analyze, over-"calculate", and then...when youre done with that ****, ENJOY THE WIN!!!! :popcorn:

Texan_in_KS said:
I was in the stands....4 rows up, right by the end zone, and GOOD LORD, quit the David Carr bashing. No, he's not the smoothest one in the batch. They threw, ran, and hit us, with there best offensive gameplan. And lo and behold, WE WON. When the game was over, said and done, we had the higher score. Over-analyze, over-"calculate", and then...when youre done with that ****, ENJOY THE WIN!!!! :popcorn:
Sherlock: this is an online message board. Overanalyzing is what posters do. What do you want everyone to do? "Woot" for the next week? I am glad they won, but the message board fun is to analyze play and personnel. Without that you'll just have a dead board. :twocents:

That said: it is annoying when people spend an inordinate portion of their posts dissing Carr without giving him props for the good plays he makes. Every QB makes mistakes. Carr recovered from his and helped win the game.

I agree with MARCUS, when Carr has an O-LINE worth it's salt...then we can analogize him all we want. Never in his brief (2yrs. 3 games) career has Carr had the time that the other great QB's have. HIS O-LINE needs to PROTECT him, that can't be such a hard concept to follow, after all that's why they are paid the BIG money. It was as great a football game as I can remember. Sometimes you win "Pretty" (so to speak) and sometimes it's "ugly" and today it was a little of both. Nothing like a game like that to get your juices flowing. I hate the games I fall asleep on the couch watching because I'm so board. Not to say, I wouldn't take one or two of those this year in our favor. :thumbup My money's on Carr when we improve our O-line, until then, it's just not a fair examination. :twocents: :twocents:

In my first comments I said what a wonderful QB David Carr is and what a shame it was that the Referee called such a ticky tack game on both sides. Coach Vermiel went out of his way during his post game comments to compliment the Int. and run back. He is the first to admit the Chiefs need to fix the penalties. The Officials need to learn the art of the no-call. David Carr threw a couple of unreal passed that God itself couldn't break up. Finally, if the shoe fits.... The Officials called a very ticky tack game and cost both teams. The Back Judge is and old man who was calling game when George Halas was playing. In his comment to Dick Vermeil, Dom Capers said, "great game, sorry the refs(jobbed) you so bad". Congratualation to the Texans, an outstanding franchise.

That challenge was an obvious one. A long pass late in the game where possession is in question will always get challenged. I am quite sure Coach Capers would have done the same, or should have. The Chiefs deserved every call, yet you saw one roughing where you "never saw the infraction" Which is it? You got the call and it was the right call, so what do you care.

Demon said:
This is a bunch of ****. Get real. :hehe:
In my first comments I said what a wonderful QB David Carr is and what a shame it was that the Referee called such a ticky tack game on both sides. Coach Vermiel went out of his way during his post game comments to compliment the Int. and run back. He is the first to admit the Chiefs need to fix the penalties. The Officials need to learn the art of the no-call. David Carr threw a couple of unreal passed that God itself couldn't break up. Finally, if the shoe fits.... The Officials called a very ticky tack game and cost both teams. The Back Judge is and old man who was calling game when George Halas was playing. In his comment to Dick Vermeil, Dom Capers said, "great game, sorry the refs(jobbed) you so bad". Congratualation to the Texans, an outstanding franchise. Think it is a bunch of ***** check the Broncos game tapes with Markbreit and ask Dan Fouts about him. He is still mad about the Holy Roller-another Markbreit Gem.

carr looked bad to me ... and the line looked even worse. we should be able to hold a 4 man rush long enough to throw the ball. enough with the screens and sending 5 men out on pass patterns, we need to work on making carr the focal point of the offense which means giving him time to throw to someone without running to the sidelines first. our rb needs to hit someone before he heads up field and we need to keep the tightend on the line more often. our front 5 are getting beat, which is inexcusable, but we've gotta change to compensate for that up front, not with running the qb.

as for carr though, he just looked bad IMO. almost everything he threw was either off target or a floater that our receivers saved him on. he doesnt see receivers, he sees the rush and he's not going to progress until that changes. i hoped he'd be past being "gun shy" this season but that apparently hasnt happened yet as the only passes he completed from the pocket were where he dropped back and floated it to aj. the only pass i saw where he set his feet and threw was at the end to armstrong and it was a laser right on target. carr's got the ability, there's no doubt, but i've yet to see him play at his potential. until he decides he's ready to go through his progressions, plant his feet, and throw ... he wont be the arm we need.

bill1521 said:
That challenge was an obvious one. A long pass late in the game where possession is in question will always get challenged. I am quite sure Coach Capers would have done the same, or should have. The Chiefs deserved every call, yet you saw one roughing where you "never saw the infraction" Which is it? You got the call and it was the right call, so what do you care.

Yeah, Capers probably would've challenged that catch, but he would'nt have been so ticked on the sideline, after he saw the replay showing it was an obvious catch. On the "roughing the passer" call that I didn't see the infraction, I never saw anything because they just didn't show it.

How do you know what Capers said to Vermiel after the game?

Carr didn't have his most spectacular day, but he was QB enough to get the job done. Perhaps there was some luck, but I think the Chiefs were an accident waiting to happen. Let's give Mr. Carr some credit for a couple of awesome runs as well. :twocents:

He has been downright dreadful in the 1st quarter this year. It used to be the 4th quarter that he fell apart. It seems like Carr made a deal with the Devil in the offseason to move his normally atrocious 4th quarter play to the 1st quarter.

This week really highlighted how valuable Wiegert is. We were unable to plug in Washington or Weary with good results. Hopefully by next season Pitts and Wand will be "comfortable" in their new positions and contribute more. I just hope that the left side of our line will be better than the right side in a couple of years. Carr was running for his life and won inspite of a horrible rushing attack and aggressive pass-rush.

TheOgre said:
This week really highlighted how valuable Wiegert is. We were unable to plug in Washington or Weary with good results...
Shaun Rogers used Wiegert as a turnstile before Zach went out with an injury. All of these guys are poor pass blockers. That Wiegert is a good run blocker is what gives him the edge.

sabbat00 said:
When you look at his play on paper, it doesn't look so bad. But, my impression of the game as a whole, has him needing to be more consistent and less predictable in staring down his favorite receiver of the drive. Try looking off secondaries, try pump faking, and don't make bad decisions. :twocents:
Memo to the O-line, TRY PROTECTING THE QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown

i can see it now. anouncer speaking "carr drops back in the pocket carr looks right. carr looks left. ohhhhh!!! he's nailed." or heres one. "carr drops back. he looks right. he pump fakes. booooom!!!!! someone wanna give him back his helmet."

Maybe we should train an RB to throw the ball and let Carr stand in the pocket as a decoy, lol.

The person I saw getting manhandled in the front was Steve McKinney and I was very disappointed. His little brother with the Dolphins who is their starting center looks much more powerful and determined as a blocker. Until McKinney starts to hold his blocks then the Texans will have problems protecting Carr. It all starts in the middle and I hope that McKinney starts pulling his weight.

Lucky said:
Shaun Rogers used Wiegert as a turnstile before Zach went out with an injury. All of these guys are poor pass blockers. That Wiegert is a good run blocker is what gives him the edge.

I won't argue the fact that Wiegert is a marginal pass-blocker. He might be our best run blocker, though, and he is still a bit better at pass-blocking then the two guys we threw in there.

We weren't able to establish the run without him. It resulted in a domino effect. Without us having a viable rushing attack, the Chiefs were able to pin their ears back and go after us. A game like this really illustrates why we try to focus on establishing the run early and often. We just don't have the line to sit back and pass all day.

This was against the Chief's defense for crying out loud!! Just wait until the Raiders front seven gets ahold of us.

markbeth said:
i can see it now. anouncer speaking "carr drops back in the pocket carr looks right. carr looks left. ohhhhh!!! he's nailed." or heres one. "carr drops back. he looks right. he pump fakes. booooom!!!!! someone wanna give him back his helmet."

With our pass protection, you are probably correct.

What was I thinking???????? :crazy:

I think D.Carr had a good game not a great game but he did lead the team down the field when the game was on the line and he didn't cause them to lose it with turnovers. I do hope the line steps up and starts giving him a little more time....THE DOWN GOES CARR, DOWN GOES CARR by the broadcasters was pointing out the fact that he just doesn't get the time he really needs and I think that is why he hasn't had the zipp on the ball he needs sometimes. As for A.Johnson's catches, what can you say....GREAT JOB on both parts...David for getting the ball up there and Johnson for bring it in. The bottom line is the fact that he has yet another fourth quarter comeback(5) for his career and it is good that he is able to do that but I am looking forward to the days when we are kicking tail and don't need those comeback to win!!!

Geaux TEXANS and TIGERS,

James H.
Baton Rouge, LA

as far as carr's play thus far...i must say he has been ify to put it nicely...he starts the games horribly but finishes nice...he needs to be more concistant and be nice throughout the entire game...starting 0-7 with an int is just plan bad...something i would expect a 7th round rookie to start...and i know a lot of people will argue whether or not carr should have been benched his rookie year like pennington and palmer...personally i think to bring in a rookie QB that you are making your franchise QB is to start him a few games into his rookie season...but that's just me...but back onto carr...i think by the time the season gets to the halfway mark we will see carr really blossum to the QB we have wished he would become...but so far he has been horrible...anytime you have more int's then td's your horrible

keyfro said:
...but so far he has been horrible...anytime you have more int's then td's your horrible
NFL Starting QBs sacked on average of 2X or less/game - 61 TDs 32 INTs

NFL Starting QBs sacked on average of over 2X/game - 43 TDs 41 INTs

NFL Starting QBs sacked on average of over 3X/game - 10 TDs 15 INTs

On average, David Carr is sacked 3.33 times a game. Now that's horrible.

Back