Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

OK...HOW BAD?

Chris

Waterboy
Since the season starts in 6 days let's get it out of the way. How bad do you think the Texans record is going to be and do we actually end up with the #1 pick and take Spencer Rattler?

Number19

Hall of Fame
It's a tough call. Not only do the Texans go up against a rough schedule, but we are doing so with a rebuilt team and coaching staff.

We have a solid offensive unit up and and down the lineup. No super stars, except for Tunsil, but a sound veteran unit. Taylor hasn't shown me quite as much as I was hoping for and he will be key. Although the passing game will take 2nd place behind the running game, Taylor has to keep the offense honest with his passing and decision making.

Defensively, we're going to attack with our front seven, creating pressure and turnovers. The pressure up front will allow a tight man on man defensive backfield.

Special teams will be a key to the season as well. The Texans have found themselves a boomer of a punter.

The Texans will lose only 9 games and will not have the first pick.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Since the season starts in 6 days let's get it out of the way. How bad do you think the Texans record is going to be and do we actually end up with the #1 pick and take Spencer Rattler?
Really hard to say. A lot of new in the Texans organization & the NFL. 17 games, shortened preseason, new Covid protocols.

It’s going to be an interesting season.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Don't care. This season is a wash. Next year ..... because it's always "next year" with the Texans.

I'll stick with my prediction of 3 to 5 wins for 2021.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
Winning season baby!!

Im drinking in my own taproom so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but I like the new mentality of the current team and coaching staff. People are battling, no primadonnas (so far). I think this team may end up surprising us all from pure effort alone.

Skål! :)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Don't care. This season is a wash. Next year ..... because it's always "next year" with the Texans.
With that in mind I wonder how much they could or would try to carry into 2022. Are they going to extend some of those one year contracts? If so, which ones?

I think that is what will make this season most interesting.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
4-5 wins, and I'm struggling to find that many, but I've watched this game long enough to know the ball bounces funny and you can get wins sometimes where you don't expect them. But by the same token, you can drop one you're expected to win too, so I guess that evens out.

I also think they're going to be one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. They're going RB-by-committee which translates to they don't have a clear cut RB1. They've got Cooks and ??????. Will the TEs be incorporated into the passing game? I mean, this is still a Bill O'Brien Tim Kelly offense.

The defense could be improved and keep them in some games, but that's really yet to be seen. I don't think the secondary is a whole lot better. It doesn't mean much but they were giving up 70%+ completions to 2nd and 3rd string QBs throughout the preseason. The points were kept low because those QBs are 2nd and 3rd stringers for a reason, which resulted in lots of turnovers. Now, those were 2nd and 3rd string defenders as well, who won't be getting those kind of snaps. Is the 1st unit D going against QB1's going to do that? Don't know.

Pass rush? Don't know.

It's gonna take a good 4-5 games to get a good feel of just how bad, or maybe not so bad it's going to be, but I've got the bar pretty low.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The interest for me this year is watching the players and trying to decide who will go into the future and who will not. Evaluating the weak spots and determining priorities that might be corrected with draft picks in 2022.

Number19

Hall of Fame
4-5 wins, and I'm struggling to find that many, but I've watched this game long enough to know the ball bounces funny and you can get wins sometimes where you don't expect them. But by the same token, you can drop one you're expected to win too, so I guess that evens out.

I also think they're going to be one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. They're going RB-by-committee which translates to they don't have a clear cut RB1. They've got Cooks and ??????. Will the TEs be incorporated into the passing game? I mean, this is still a Bill O'Brien Tim Kelly offense.

The defense could be improved and keep them in some games, but that's really yet to be seen. I don't think the secondary is a whole lot better. It doesn't mean much but they were giving up 70%+ completions to 2nd and 3rd string QBs throughout the preseason. The points were kept low because those QBs are 2nd and 3rd stringers for a reason, which resulted in lots of turnovers. Now, those were 2nd and 3rd string defenders as well, who won't be getting those kind of snaps. Is the 1st unit D going against QB1's going to do that? Don't know.

Pass rush? Don't know.

It's gonna take a good 4-5 games to get a good feel of just how bad, or maybe not so bad it's going to be, but I've got the bar pretty low.
OK, I like the makeup of our roster. So you and I appear to be at opposite ends of the spectrum.

From my understanding of what the team will be doing offensively and defensively, we have a roster which should be competitive. We have a tough schedule, but we also have mid-tier opponents. Carolina, New England, Arizona, Miami, N Y Jets, Jacksonville. These are all teams we can beat.

Look at our starters: Cooks and Conley at WR; Akins and Brown at TE; Johnson at RB; Taylor at QB; Tunsil, Howard, Britt, Scharping and Heck.

Defensively up front we have Omenihu, Collins, Blacklock and Jacob Martin. At LB we have Cunningham, Kirksey and Gruiger-Hill. In the backfield we have Roby, Reid, Murrey and ... King?

Special teams we have Fairbairn, Johnston and Roberts.

We're not comparing this team against the top tier, playoff teams, but against teams at our own level. And against this level of competition, I like the odds being in our favor.

I can easily see 8 wins.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
How bad do you think the Texans record is going to be and do we actually end up with the #1 pick and take Spencer Rattler?
How bad do you think the Texans record is going to be? Bad. How bad? Bad enough to be in the top 3 of the draft bad. I think it's down to the Texans, Jets, and Lions. I think the Texans have the least amount of talent. But the Jets talent may be too immature to win games. And I really question the Lions coaching staff. It could come down to a strength of schedule tiebreak, which I think the Texans would likely lose (having the tougher schedule).

3-14 record. #3 pick in the draft.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Maybe they finish the season in a position to draft both DB- Kyle Hamilton, Notre Dame and DL- Demarvin Leal, Texas A&M. That second RD1 would be the first piece in the Watson trade. A third RD1 pick could happen if the Eagles, Lions, or Giants happen to make a move for Watson. If this were to happen, maybe they get RB- Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M. Could provide some solid pieces to start the rebuilding process.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
OK, I like the makeup of our roster. So you and I appear to be at opposite ends of the spectrum.

From my understanding of what the team will be doing offensively and defensively, we have a roster which should be competitive. We have a tough schedule, but we also have mid-tier opponents. Carolina, New England, Arizona, Miami, N Y Jets, Jacksonville. These are all teams we can beat.

Look at our starters: Cooks and Conley at WR; Akins and Brown at TE; Johnson at RB; Taylor at QB; Tunsil, Howard, Britt, Scharping and Heck.

Defensively up front we have Omenihu, Collins, Blacklock and Jacob Martin. At LB we have Cunningham, Kirksey and Gruiger-Hill. In the backfield we have Roby, Reid, Murrey and ... King?

Special teams we have Fairbairn, Johnston and Roberts.

We're not comparing this team against the top tier, playoff teams, but against teams at our own level. And against this level of competition, I like the odds being in our favor.

I can easily see 8 wins.
Why is it you think the roster should be competitive? Because they "might" have better depth throughout? Depth is great if you've got some front end talent to go with it. The Texans don't have that. Cooks is about the only real playmaker they have on either side of the ball. You're not going to do much with a team full of depth.

Cooks, OK. Conley has never done much, and who's behind those 2? Again, will the TEs even be used? This is still a Tim Kelly offense that will remember they're on the roster 1 week, then forget about them for 3.

Johnson is washed up. You didn't mention him, but Lindsay didn't look good at all in the PS, and he's the one I had a little hope for. Ingram could go either way, but they were phasing him out last year on Culley's team.

O-line "should" be better, but the starting 5 haven't played a single snap together yet. And if Cannon is in that mix, he and Britt haven't played in a game since 2019.

Defense? We've been waiting for Martin to be that pass rusher for a couple of years now. Still hasn't materialized. Dude barely sees a third of the snaps. Omenihu I actually think will lead the Texans in sacks, but whether that's 7 or 14 I don't know.

Roby is certainly the best of the bunch in the secondary, but most of the rest of those guys had Hargreaves type numbers last year. King had a 117.5 passer rating against him last season. Terrance Mitchell, 105.8 and 14.2 yards allowed per reception. Terrance Brooks, 118.7 PR and 16 yards per reception against. And Eric Murray is garbage. And that's saying something after those previous stats.

Justin Reid had a down year last year. Does he bounce back?

LBs? Kirksey misses about as many games as JJ Watt does the last 3 years. Grugier-Hill, 17 starts in 5 years, and Pierre-Louis had 4 starts his 1st 6 years before getting 11 with WFT last year, both just rotational depth guys.

You can easily see 8 wins??? Sorry, but I think that's just crazy. I just do not see that with this roster full of depth players.

And that's not to mention the QB play will not be what we've seen the last 3-4 years, whether that's Taylor or the rook.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Maybe they finish the season in a position to draft both DB- Kyle Hamilton, Notre Dame and DL- Demarvin Leal, Texas A&M. That second RD1 would be the first piece in the Watson trade. A third RD1 pick could happen if the Eagles, Lions, or Giants happen to make a move for Watson. If this were to happen, maybe they get RB- Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M. Could provide some solid pieces to start the rebuilding process.
Perhaps they trade Watson to Philly for 3 round ones with the highest being say 1.4. Then trade 1.1 to NYG for 1.5 and 1.10 =3,000?
1.4 + 1.5 +1.10+1.21 + 1.24 then 2.33

badboy

Hall of Fame
Why is it you think the roster should be competitive? Because they "might" have better depth throughout? Depth is great if you've got some front end talent to go with it. The Texans don't have that. Cooks is about the only real playmaker they have on either side of the ball. You're not going to do much with a team full of depth.

Cooks, OK. Conley has never done much, and who's behind those 2? Again, will the TEs even be used? This is still a Tim Kelly offense that will remember they're on the roster 1 week, then forget about them for 3.

Johnson is washed up. You didn't mention him, but Lindsay didn't look good at all in the PS, and he's the one I had a little hope for. Ingram could go either way, but they were phasing him out last year on Culley's team.

O-line "should" be better, but the starting 5 haven't played a single snap together yet. And if Cannon is in that mix, he and Britt haven't played in a game since 2019.

Defense? We've been waiting for Martin to be that pass rusher for a couple of years now. Still hasn't materialized. Dude barely sees a third of the snaps. Omenihu I actually think will lead the Texans in sacks, but whether that's 7 or 14 I don't know.

Roby is certainly the best of the bunch in the secondary, but most of the rest of those guys had Hargreaves type numbers last year. King had a 117.5 passer rating against him last season. Terrance Mitchell, 105.8 and 14.2 yards allowed per reception. Terrance Brooks, 118.7 PR and 16 yards per reception against. And Eric Murray is garbage. And that's saying something after those previous stats.

LBs? Kirksey misses about as many games as JJ Watt does the last 3 years. Grugier-Hill, 17 starts in 5 years, and Pierre-Louis had 4 starts his 1st 6 years before getting 11 with WFT last year, both just rotational depth guys.

You can easily see 8 wins??? Sorry, but I think that's just crazy. I just do not see that with this roster full of depth players.

And that's not to mention the QB play will not be what we've seen the last 3-4 years, whether that's Taylor or the rook.
Unfortunately this is the way I evaluate the roster also. A lot of those players were brought on board hoping that 3 or 4 would have very good seasons. The rest if not most will be cut or traded for late round picks after 2021. Of course I would love to be wrong but I don't think so. [Theme song for TVs Monk].

Jack Burton

Veteran
[/QUOTE]
Perhaps they trade Watson to Philly for 3 round ones with the highest being say 1.4. Then trade 1.1 to NYG for 1.5 and 1.10 =3,000?
1.4 + 1.5 +1.10+1.21 + 1.24 then 2.33
Dude, they gotta pay all those 1’s at one time.
It’s not feasible.
But they could trade away 10 and 21 or 24 for future 1’s or 2’s. Or 2’s in that draft.
What I really like is this draft is pretty deep at a number of positions including QB.

EDIT. I see you included a trade for future 1’s?
Yeah, I like it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Hopefully 2 or 3 difference makers will be added in next yrs draft.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m sticking with my 2 to 4 wins in 2021 and their first pick in the 2022 draft won’t be a quarterback. I don’t think Caserio will handcuff himself to a quarterback early in the first round unless there’s a clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest type of guy sitting for him to take a chance on. And I just don’t feel like, at this time, there’s that kind of quarterback prospect.

I feel like Caserio is going to play the draft safely.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m sticking with my 2 to 4 wins in 2021 and their first pick in the 2022 draft won’t be a quarterback. I don’t think Caserio will handcuff himself to a quarterback early in the first round unless there’s a clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest type of guy sitting for him to take a chance on. And I just don’t feel like, at this time, there’s that kind of quarterback prospect.

I feel like Caserio is going to play the draft safely.
I hope he does this.

If Mills isn't the guy I hope Caserio trades for a vet QB and adds Stingley with the Texans pick and if the former QB can be traded I hope Caserio trades back up for Leal. There's 2 difference makers. I would love to get Thibadeaux to pair with Stingley but I dont see anyway this happens.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
4 wins is my prediction unless we pick up a cheap win somewhere due to injuries or really late in season. Should be enough for a top 3 pick. I’ll update with the predictions I posted in another thread.

update

1. JAX - W
2. @CLE - L
3. CAR - W (maybe)
4. @BUF - L
5. NE - L
6. @IND - L (they have their own issues, but it's an L imo because it's a road game)
7. @ARI - L
8. LAR - L
9. @MIA - L
10. BYE (woo-hoo, count this as a W)
11. @TEN - L
12. NYJ - W (but probably another L)
13. IND - W
14. SEA - L
15. @JAX - L (maybe they'll start figuring things out by then, who knows)
16. LAC - L
17. @SF - L
18. TEN - L

So, that's 4 W's. And I think I've been generous. Someone convince me I'm wrong.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I hope he does this.

If Mills isn't the guy I hope Caserio trades for a vet QB and adds Stingley with the Texans pick and if the former QB can be traded I hope Caserio trades back up for Leal. There's 2 difference makers. I would love to get Thibadeaux to pair with Stingley but I dont see anyway this happens.
I’m beginning to like Leal’s versatility on the defensive line more than what Thibadeaux brings from the EDGE. Same might be said for Hamilton’s versatility as well.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Veteran
There's a guy from Purdue that's a very good edge too.
George Karlaftis

If Mills doesn’t shine, they need to target a centerpiece defensive line player and a QB in the 1st.
Sam Howell looked like dog poop last night. He had no help though.

Strong going #1 to HOU in this SI mock. They need to trade the perv to PHIL. Or MIA needs to get another top 10 pick in next years draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
George Karlaftis

If Mills doesn’t shine, they need to target a centerpiece defensive line player and a QB in the 1st.
Sam Howell looked like dog poop last night. He had no help though.

Strong going #1 to HOU in this SI mock. They need to trade the perv to PHIL. Or MIA needs to get another top 10 pick in next years draft.

Raiders and Steelers might be interested in X Howard but cap tight for 2021; Dolphins would clear a lot if they trade X that would allow them to bring in DW. Not sure why they would insist on moving Tua as that will only save a couple million for now but receiving team would pay T only an avg of one million base remainder of contract and why I would not be surprised if Htown takes him if a great deal is offered.

I was not able to get into Karlaftis last season; just a feeling..