Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Wild Card Round Playoff Game-Day Thread** Colts at Texans, Saturday Jan 5, 2019!!

disaacks3

Staff member
Now that I've had time to digest the loss, here's a couple of observations from the game (in no particular order):

1. Watt (and the rush) was extremely ineffective. - even on one of his tipped balls, he was simply going through the motions, and then timed his jump well. I'm not sure if Mercilus contributed much beyond an ill-timed penalty.

2. The Texans controlled neither line of scrimmage. - When you load up empty backfield on 4th and 1, with what appears to be your season on the line, you have no faith you can get a single yard with a push. While Watson ended up missing the open receiver, it shouldn't have come to that.

3. Watson was off and got scared of the deep ball. - After his first two deep throws, he never went to his deep option again, whether they were open or not. He missed wide-open touchdowns on more than one occasion. I remember a check-down pass to Hopkins in particular, where you could see him give up on the deep receiver. He was throwing high, low and everywhere in between at times. Missing open guys, bad timing, it had all the hallmarks of a nervous outing.

4. We had no contain on Luck. He was usually in no danger of even getting hit and took conservative gains, rather than heading for the marker. It happened often enough, it made me wonder if the colts schemed it that way.

5. The refs weren't helping us any. - 4-to-1 ration of "accepted" penalties, and more missed huge holding calls. Whether it was a lineman turning Clowney around just prior to a sack, a missed facemask of Watson, or a Pascal holding a LB to allow another to get seemingly wide open, the calls almost never seemed to go our way.

6. The Texans coaches actually used Foreman. - ...for a couple of plays and rapidly put him back on the shelf. There was apparently zero interest in seeing if he could be an effective threat.

7. Hopkins was having issues getting separation. - While he occasionally broke free of coverage, he was well contained for most of the day. Safety was usually (but not always) over the top on his side of the field.

8. We kept having defensive alignment issues. - One of T.Y. Hilton's biggest gains of the day is when the Colts shifted left and we ended up with Zach Cunningham on him at the line. He gave him a small nudge to the inside and let him go. Luck just threw that one up and let TY go after it, as there wasn't anyone close enough to make a difference.

9. No breather for Defense in first half, and start of second. - You've just given up an opening-drive TD. What do you do? you give the ball back in under a minute. You start off the second half with a drive lasting 1:07. You follow it up with a drive lasting 1:20. It's a miracle we didn't get down another TD or two.

10. Colts Defense looked for real and Luck put on a clinic. - It was interesting to see the other team be more effective at bend-don't-break, but it surely appeared that way. Luck took what we gave him, and with no effective rush (or outside contain), he had plenty of time to make his choices.

zshawn10

All Pro
Jalen defending Watson

A little late but this aint it! This is what’s wrong with the game now. No matter the score, you always supposed to turn up & play with passion on the field! You gettin first down after first down, swag it out! @deshaunwatson keep balling & having fun while doing it Young King! https://t.co/nSEs2uJfOx

— Jalen Ramsey (@jalenramsey) January 6, 2019

It’s crazy that when you turning up regardless of the score, people get mad… BUT if you don’t turn up & stop playing with passion & having fun, they call you a front runner. So regardless, always be yourself! No1s perfect but can’t ever let anyone or situation take away the fun

— Jalen Ramsey (@jalenramsey) January 6, 2019

You know I won’t switch up bruh!

— Deshaun Watson (@deshaunwatson) January 7, 2019

oilers61

Practice Squad
We looked like total lightweights against the Colts. Defence shuts them out in the second half and we only score 1 TD ? That is 100% on O'Brien and his inept offensive schemes.

Recognition needs to be given to the fact that Watson has only now completed a full season in the NFL. He will undoubtedly get better. What is depressing though is that attempts were made to address the OL and WR positions and we ended up with absolutely hee haw to show for it !

KarlK

Waterboy
We looked like total lightweights against the Colts. Defence shuts them out in the second half and we only score 1 TD ? That is 100% on O'Brien and his inept offensive schemes.

Recognition needs to be given to the fact that Watson has only now completed a full season in the NFL. He will undoubtedly get better. What is depressing though is that attempts were made to address the OL and WR positions and we ended up with absolutely hee haw to show for it !
Texans are in very good shape with Hopkins, Fuller and Coutee at WR. I do not agree with this.

OL and DB is where your GM whiffed completely. I don't know why you think this offseason will be any different.

Thorsson

Waterboy
After yesterday's debacle, can we put to pasture the nonsense of winning the coin toss and then always deferring the opening kick? Be aggressive, punch the opponent in the mouth & score first. That is exactly what Andrew Luck did; he punched the Texans in the mouth and had them on their heels. This was like a heavyweight title fight and Andrew Luck fought like a hungry, up & coming Mike Tyson. While Luck & the Colts were landing punches with bad intentions, the Texans were merely counterpunching with no success!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Then how are you ever going to address any area of weakness, much less the offensive line? How has O'Brien had a winning record 4/5 years, with the one losing season the one where he happened to have a historic level of injuries to deal with, if he's such a bad coach?

You all need to ask yourself how and why your new GM whiffed on so many draft picks and free agents in his first offseason. These weak areas you point out have been "addressed".....they just weren't addressed well, at all, by the GM.
They just want BOB gone regardless of what he does.

1st play of the game Watson threw the deep pass that people here got all lathered up for. Truth is Luck out played Watson again. Watson is a rookie playing in his 1st playoff game. This was to be expected.

I never understood the let's get all backups in FA strategy. The backups played exactly like backups play and Watson got sacked 62 times. Luckily he didn't get hurt unless you call broken ribs/punctured lung hurt.

The fact he will be healthy this offseason makes last season successful.

Texansballer74

The Marine
After yesterday's debacle, can we put to pasture the nonsense of winning the coin toss and then always deferring the opening kick? Be aggressive, punch the opponent in the mouth & score first. That is exactly what Andrew Luck did; he punched the Texans in the mouth and had them on their heels. This was like a heavyweight title fight and Andrew Luck fought like a hungry, up & coming Mike Tyson. While Luck & the Colts were landing punches with bad intentions, the Texans were merely counterpunching with no success!

With a little help from JJ Watt. That offsides penalties kept that drive alive. If Watt doesn't do that trash, the Colts are putting on that first drive. And we wouldn't be bragging about Luck punching us in the mouth.

Thank you JJ Watt

Texansballer74

The Marine
They just want BOB gone regardless of what he does.

1st play of the game Watson threw the deep pass that people here got all lathered up for. Truth is Luck out played Watson again. Watson is a rookie playing in his 1st playoff game. This was to be expected.

I never understood the let's get all backups in FA strategy. The backups played exactly like backups play and Watson got sacked 62 times. Luckily he didn't get hurt unless you call broken ribs/punctured lung hurt.

The fact he will be healthy this offseason makes last season successful.

The same way you wanted Rick Smith gone. Just like people wanted Kubiak gone. Everyone has their freaking reason.

Even if we had top flight people that were on your radar. We wouldve seen the same result. When will some of yall see and understand they just doesn't know how to coach up this team for the scheme they're employing. Bill O'brien's team yet again starts off lethargic and uninspired. Dude keeps changing up the game plan every week. How about employ a system that actually maximizes the quality of talent you have. You were lightening up the league with Dabo Sweeney's offensive scheme. So why not use that in a game in which you know its do or die. You know your offensive linemen is not good so why in the hell you keep drawing up these long developing plays.

People have legitimate reasons why they want that dude gone. Just like you had your reasoning on why Rick should've been shown the door.

Last edited:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
He had a shitty performance because O’Brien has ruined him with the way he's been used over the course of his career thus far. Clock is off. Instinct is off. Decision-making is off. He's not put into a position to succeed.

He was trash today. My fear is that he's become that way and I fear that it's getting to be irreparable.

Appears that we may be losing our chance to have a franchise qb thanks to OBrien.

Watson deserves better.

:coffee:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The same way you wanted Rick Smith gone. Just like people wanted Kubiak gone. Everyone has their freaking reason.

Even if we had top flight people that were on you radar. We wouldve seen the same result. When will some of yall see and understand they just doesn't know how to coach up this team for the scheme they're employing. Bill O'brien's team yet again starts off lethargic and uninspired. Dude keeps changing up the game plan every week. How about employ a system that actually maximizes the quality of talent you have. You were lightening up the league with Dabo Sweeney's offensive scheme. So why use that in a game in which you know its do or die. You know your offensive linemen are not good so why in the hell you keep drawing up these long developing plays.

People have legitimate reasons why they want that dude gone. Just like you had your reasoning on why Rick should've been shown the door.
The same way I wanted BOB gone.

Watson was playing with a punctured lung and broken ribs and you wanted him to run the Clemson offense? That's plain stupid.

They finish the yr with the 2nd most points scored and the 2nd best regular season in franchise history behind this OL that they did as well as any HC in Texans history had minus 1 yr of your beloved Kubiak. After finally getting rid of Ricky and getting a real GM who looks like he knows what he's doing you want to get rid of BOB. I bet this stems deep down from 1. Kubiak love and wanting to keep him on a pedestal. 2. You dont like BOB's personality,

3. I bet you also deep down want to get rid of Gaine because of your love for Ricky.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
The same way I wanted BOB gone.

Watson was playing with a punctured lung and broken ribs and you wanted him to run the Clemson offense? That's plain stupid.

They finish the yr with the 2nd most points scored and the 2nd best regular season in franchise history behind this OL that they did as well as any HC in Texans history had minus 1 yr of your beloved Kubiak. After finally getting rid of Ricky and getting a real GM who looks like he knows what he's doing you want to get rid of BOB. I bet this stems deep down from 1. Kubiak love and wanting to keep him on a pedestal. 2. You dont like BOB's personality,

3. I bet you also deep down want to get rid of Gaine because of your love for Ricky.

Clemson's offense is not QB run happy . Did you not watch the championship game. A lot of quick routes, rub routes etc. He didn't allow one of the best defensive fronts to beat up his quarterback.

Dude stop the freaking madness. Everyone on here knows my stance on Rick. My stances has always been he should've been shown the freaking door with Kubiak.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Clemson's offense is not QB run happy . Did you not watch the championship game. A lot of quick routes, rub routes etc. He didn't allow one of the best defensive fronts to beat up his quarterback.

Dude stop the freaking madness. Everyone on here knows my stance on Rick. My stances has always been he should've been shown the freaking door with Kubiak.
How'd i know some of you flavor of the month types would come in here with this garbage. Ya'll cats gotta learn the difference between what an offense is and what talent allows an offense to be.

Clemson's passing offense with Kelly Bryant at the helm: 2800 yds passing, 13 TD's 8 ints.
Clemson's passing offense with Trevor Lawrence at the helm: 3200 yds passing 30 TDs 4 ints.

IOW's The offense wasn't special until Trevor Lawrence & those elite weapons on the outside got in there.

Texansballer74

The Marine
How'd i know some of you flavor of the month types would come in here with this garbage. Ya'll cats gotta learn the difference between what an offense is and what talent allows an offense to be.

Clemson's passing offense with Kelly Bryant at the helm: 2800 yds passing, 13 TD's 8 ints.
Clemson's passing offense with Trevor Lawrence at the helm: 3200 yds passing 30 TDs 4 ints.

IOW's The offense wasn't special until Trevor Lawrence & those elite weapons on the outside got in there.

Dude shut the f up. I said in the championship game. Mr. Smart ash missed the damn point again.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They finish the yr with the 2nd most points scored and the 2nd best regular season in franchise history behind this OL that they did as well as any HC in Texans history had minus 1 yr of your beloved Kubiak. After finally getting rid of Ricky and getting a real GM who looks like he knows what he's doing you want to get rid of BOB
If I thought BO'bs problem was his ability to GM I'd want to give him more time.

But that's not my issue with him, so a new GM doesn't change that I want him gone. If I felt there was a good chance that we'd have a new OC... then I'd want BO'b to stick around because I'd truly be looking forward to seeing what he can do as a HC.

If you can tell me you were confident we'd score 30 points against the Colts last Saturday I could see where you're coming from. 2nd most points in franchise history & all that.

But we didn't score the 2nd most points in franchise history because BO'b gameplaned our offense. We scored the 2nd most points in history because we finally got a QB who wont give up.

& yeah, take a franchise QB from most any team & things dont go well for most coaches. At the same time, put that franchise QB with a coach who knows what he's doing.... watch out.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If I thought BO'bs problem was his ability to GM I'd want to give him more time.

But that's not my issue with him, so a new GM doesn't change that I want him gone. If I felt there was a good chance that we'd have a new OC... then I'd want BO'b to stick around because I'd truly be looking forward to seeing what he can do as a HC.

If you'l can tell me you were confident we'd score 30 points against the Colts last Sunday I could see where you're coming from. 2nd most points in franchise history & all that.

But we didn't score the 2nd most points in franchise history because BO'b gameplaned our offense. We scored the 2nd most points in history because we finally got a QB who wont give up.

& yeah, take a franchise QB from most any team & things dont go well for most coaches. At the same time, put that franchise QB with a coach who knows what he's doing.... satchel out.
So let me get this straight.

Things go right = Watson good
Things go wrong = BOB bad

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Please, your attempts to defend OB are getting pathetic.
Jack del Rio coached 11-5 & 12-4 x2
Jeff Fisher coached 11-5, 12-4 & 13-3 x 3.
Marvin Lewis coached 11-5 x 2 & 12-4
How many of these folks had to work with a GM that they had a dysfunctional relationship, then that GM is no longer here and the HC had the 2nd winningest regular season in franchise history with a new rookie GM?

How would you've felt if they had won Saturday against a more talented team and would've matched the best season since their inception, with a rookie QB starting his 1st playoff game? I bet you would still would want BOB gone.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Is he Hue Jackson bad? Not even close. He's average at best. 5 years. What does he do better now than he did in '14, '15, '16, '17?

HCs that are 42-38 and 1-3 in the playoffs looks pretty average to me.
2nd most points in franchise history?

With the previous GM.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And it never occurs to you that they may have become unaligned because of poor choices by OB. Like say valuing vet scrub QBs to drafting & playing Watson.
It's occurred to me.

It's why I wanted them both gone and the franchise to get a new start.

But if the last draft holds a clue to the future then good times are ahead.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
It's occurred to me.

It's why I wanted them both gone and the franchise to get a new start.

But if the last draft holds a clue to the future then good times are ahead.
What are you talking about? Even if you think Gaine had a good draft, the players certainly didn’t light the NfL on fire. OB failed to use his legit TE threats, Rankins who was clearly projected of G was thrust into LT week 1 after missing all of TC. OB is a loser with zero ability to identify talent and coach it up. Stop with the sloppy DSL and admit he is a failure. Time to move on.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What are you talking about? Even if you think Gaine had a good draft, the players certainly didn’t light the NfL on fire. OB failed to use his legit TE threats, Rankins who was clearly projected of G was thrust into LT week 1 after missing all of TC. OB is a loser with zero ability to identify talent and coach it up. Stop with the sloppy DSL and admit he is a failure. Time to move on.
We're going to find out.

2nd best record in franchise history with the 2nd most points scored say otherwise.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Well the way I saw it....

I gave OB a chance when he got here.... he failed.

I gave OB to convince me I was wrong til this season.... he failed.

At 0-3 I gave up 100% that this man was nothing but failure.... at 9-3 I still felt the man was made of fail but willing to shut up because a sloppy win is still a win.

At 11-5 going into the playoffs against a division rival I decided I would let this man do his thing.

Either he would fail, or begin his legacy in epic fashion. Starting 0-3, finishing 11-5, going into the playoffs against a division rival and going further than anyone gives you credit for.... that is when great men triumph if they are to have a legacy.

I know I said at 9-3 I forgave the sloppiness of the wins.... however when winning isnt on the table you have to dissect how they played.

Is OB responsible for EVERY mistake in the game? Absolutely not... but he is "the head" if a team looks unprepared, looks like they can find their butts if you spotted them 9 fingers and gave them a GPS that's a problem and that IS on the HC. You dont blame a leader for a single mistake.... you DO however blame the leader if those mistakes keep happening.

I gave him credit for his 9 wins, I was impressed, however.... that doesnt change the fact that he rolled out there, to a playoff game against a wild card division rival looking like they belonged on a peewee football field, not an NFL playoff game where the single touchdown we managed was by rule a TD but its legitimacy is debatable.

I dont have a thing against OB the man, but as a coach he has proven without a shadow of a doubt IMO he can achieve nothing more than the mediocrity that we have seen before.

IF we get a solid legit team, that is what I care about. I dont care of that is under OB's tenure or not. I'm just tired of facing good teams in games that matter and my team looking painfully inept.

Yes, there is player responsibility, but there is no excuse for a team as a whole to look that incompetent and it NOT be on the HC.

I wish OB a great life, but as a coach, IF there were any level of coaching greatness in the man we would have seen.... something..... anything resembling at the VERY least compatence against the Colts even with the players level of play being uninspired.

I know he isnt going anywhere sadly, I'm just bored right now.

Last edited: