Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Wild Card Playoff Game-Day Thread** Raiders at Texans, Saturday Jan 7, 2017!!

TejasTom

All Pro
2013-raiders-texans-story.jpg

Saturday, January 7, 2017 • 3:35 PM CT • NRG Stadium (71,795) • Houston, Texas

ESPN/ABC: Sean McDonough, Jon Gruden
Westwood One National Radio: Ian Eagle, Trent Green, Laura Okmin
SportsRadio610 (610 AM, 100.3 FM): Marc Vandermeer, Andre Ware, John Harris

Preview:

Flip Card: PDF

Officiating Crew: Ron Torbert (Not his regular crew. They mix and match for the playoffs)

Uniform Combination: Deep Steel Blue Jerseys/Liberty White Pants

Weather:
clear-day.png
44° F Clear Full Weather: Link

Know where you are parking
Parking_Map_HEB.jpg

Hashtag: #OAKvsHOU

A Win Against Oakland Would:
• Improve Houston’s all-time postseason record to 3-3 and give the team its first playoff win since 2012
• Improve the Texans’ postseason record at home to 3-1
• Improve Head Coach Bill O’Brien’s postseason record to 1-1

Under Head Coach Bill O’Brien (2014-16), the Texans are 18-0 when leading at halftime of a game. Houston is the only team in the NFL since 2014 that has not given up a halftime lead.

The Texans finished the 2016 regular season with only 87 penalties accepted against them, which was the lowest total in the NFL. Houston had 107 total penalties called, which ranked third in the league.

Go Texans! Go Dolphins!

Last edited:
Gotta be honest, I'm a heck of a lot more concerned about why a PC game I'm playing isn't connecting to it's online services than this playoff game today. Win or lose, it won't change the fact that the Texans are stuck in a hole and can't get out. Good defense, horrific putrid unwatchable offense a high school team could stop.

I feel the negativity surround me, envelope me, and make me not care what happens today. But I'll be watching anyway, if for no other reason than to make even more negative posts like this one. :lol:

Gotta be honest, I'm a heck of a lot more concerned about why a PC game I'm playing isn't connecting to it's online services than this playoff game today. Win or lose, it won't change the fact that the Texans are stuck in a hole and can't get out. Good defense, horrific putrid unwatchable offense a high school team could stop.

I feel the negativity surround me, envelope me, and make me not care what happens today. But I'll be watching anyway, if for no other reason than to make even more negative posts like this one. :lol:
I actually feel pretty good about this one.
We don't need a stellar offense against Raiders - Brock only has to replicate last week's performance and we win this one handily.
Texans play well at home and surely they can't get that many bad spots as in Mexico City. I also doubt Connor Cook can cook up two late game winning drives.
Next week however, we WILL need a stellar performance from our O if we are to have any chance against Pats.

I actually feel pretty good about this one.
We don't need a stellar offense against Raiders - Brock only has to replicate last week's performance and we win this one handily.
Texans play well at home and surely they can't get that many bad spots as in Mexico City. I also doubt Connor Cook can cook up two late game winning drives.
Next week however, we WILL need a stellar performance from our O if we are to have any chance against Pats.

It doesn't matter if they win today or not, they won't win the next one whether it's against the Pats or whomever. Hoping the Texans pull a rabbit out of a hat and make it to the super bowl in a year they host it, well, that dream has already come and gone.

I want to cheer for the Texans, but because of their antics from the front office to the playing field, my give-ah-shitter barely registers anything on the Texans.

It doesn't matter if they win today or not, they won't win the next one whether it's against the Pats or whomever. Hoping the Texans pull a rabbit out of a hat and make it to the super bowl in a year they host it, well, that dream has already come and gone.

I want to cheer for the Texans, but because of their antics from the front office to the playing field, my give-ah-shitter barely registers anything on the Texans.
C'mon mayne! It's not every season our boys make it to the PO's!
At least we have a chance to savour a PO win today.

C'mon mayne! It's not every season our boys make it to the PO's!
At least we have a chance to savour a PO win today.

Oh, don't take me wrong, I'd always rather them win than lose. When everyone wanted them to tank during that 2-14 season, I wanted them to win and screw the draft pick. But it doesn't change the fact this team, baring a miraculous history changing god sent rejuvenated assheimer who actually completes more than two passes for 10 yards or more in one game, it's gonna be the same old ****. Which doesn't mean we won't win, we've seen a few games this year where quite literally the other guys just handed us a win, sometimes laughably.

Brock Osweiler should motivate everybody during pregame and pull out his super Bowl 50 championship ring from last year and say, "This is what it's all about and it starts today!"

We're four wins away from being where we want to be: Super Bowl 51 Champions! And the wild-card game and Super Bowl (1st and 4th game) would be at NRG Stadium. We'd likely have to win at Foxborough and Pittsburgh in between. But we have to win today's game first.

Nothing great in life can happen without first believing in it.

I want to see our defense t-off on Connor Cook.

If we see 5+ sacks, we get 3 turnovers, & score TDs on all three, I'm going to believe we have a chance at Foxboro.

I know it doesn't work that way, but that's where I'm at. A strong, dominant defensive performance will fill me with hope.

Oh, don't take me wrong, I'd always rather them win than lose. When everyone wanted them to tank during that 2-14 season, I wanted them to win and screw the draft pick. But it doesn't change the fact this team, baring a miraculous history changing god sent rejuvenated assheimer who actually completes more than two passes for 10 yards or more in one game, it's gonna be the same old ****. Which doesn't mean we won't win, we've seen a few games this year where quite literally the other guys just handed us a win, sometimes laughably.
This team historically starts slow and conservative - they try not to lose the game early. How did that go last week?
I hope O'Brien grows some balls this game and tries to blow it open in the first half rather than trying not to lose it.
That won't work against teams like KC, Steelers or Patriots and Osweiler has shown he performs better uptempo.
Only a fool would not try to take advantage of that to give your failing QB every chance.

I want to see our defense t-off on Connor Cook.

If we see 5+ sacks, we get 3 turnovers, & score TDs on all three, I'm going to believe we have a chance at Foxboro.

I know it doesn't work that way, but that's where I'm at. A strong, dominant defensive performance will fill me with hope.
Oh I think Crennel will bring hell against that poor kid.
They have a great oline, but I believe they lost their LT - that could disrupt their cohesion.
Regardless, RAC will have some plays to confuse and terrorize the rookie.

Oh I think Crennel will bring hell against that poor kid.
They have a great oline, but I believe they lost their LT - that could disrupt their cohesion.
Regardless, RAC will have some plays to confuse and terrorize the rookie.

Not just their LT. Their pro bowl LG Osemele is banged up with a knee injury sustained end of last game and will be less than 100%. Add a new LT beside him for the first time all season and a 3rd string rookie QB that hasn't had substantial reps in practice since preseason... this Oline is ripe for the picking by our defense.

Not just their LT. Their pro bowl LG Osemele is banged up with a knee injury sustained end of last game and will be less than 100%. Add a new LT beside him for the first time all season and a 3rd string rookie QB that hasn't had substantial reps in practice since preseason... this Oline is ripe for the picking by our defense.

If our D front 7 don't annihilate Cook, it will be proof that #1 Defense is only a paper tiger...a play on numbers. We are labelled #1 because of yds given up. The true #1 is a D that gives up the least points like the Pats (#1, vs the Texans #11). We've only had 17 takeaways for the entire season (#27) and we have only had 1 defensive TD all year. People have to take our overhyped #1 D status and place it in realistic perspective.

If our D front 7 don't annihilate Cook, it will be proof that #1 Defense is only a paper tiger...a play on numbers. We are labelled #1 because of yds given up.

I agree #1 in points allowed is more conducive to winning, but the NFL has been using yards allowed for ever.

Our defense is far from a paper tiger.

However, 301 yards allowed had got to be high for a #1 ranked defense.

I'm abroad so I'll have to wait tomorrow evening to watch the game.
Have fun everybody!
Let's hope the game is entertaining, one way or another

My prediction for this game...

Texans 20
Raiders 13

Texans fans won't like it, but BOB is going to play this smart and come in with an ultra-conservative game plan. He's not going to let Brock "hoyer" this game. With that being said, predictions for the offense:
  • Lamar Miller will have 20+ carries and 100+ yards. He'll have the one, lone offensive TD with a 30+ yard run.
  • Brock is going to have a 20/30 for 200 yards type of game. Alot of dinking & dunking to move the chains. We can't afford to have him sit back in the pocket for an extended time.
  • Four total trips into the red-zone. One TD, two FGs, and one turnover on downs.
  • Offense will score 0 points in the 4th, as we'll be in clock-killing mode.
On defense, many think we'll blitz the hell out of this rookie. I'm thinking RAC will come in with the opposite. He'll show alot of blitzes but then drop back into coverage. He's mostly going to rely on a 4-man rush, put alot of guys in coverage, and dare Cook to put the ball in the air. There's also going to be alot of zone coverage, so it's going to be hard for the Raiders to run the ball all day. Predictions for defense:
  • Big game from Clowney, 2 sacks and 3 TFLs. That rest last weekend will help alot, no Penn helps alot, rookie QB helps alot, and I think he plays with a little extra motivation when going up against Mack.
  • Two picks, one will be a pick-six.
  • Basically, another stellar game by the defense.
Raiders will score a TD on special teams. Why? Because that's what the Texans STs does. Raiders will be able to get 2 FGs because of great field position.

Overall, it's going to be a game where Texans pretty much control the game the whole time. But, it's not an impressive win where majority of Texans fans are still pessimistic about the team.

I think we'll be murdered this week or next but I'm hoping for the best. I feel anxious in some stupid way like I'm the one going to play. Dumb i know...but I'm amped for this game.

(Side note: what a waste of $50 mil to install a retractable roof that is never used).

It's a total waste now that they have astro turf on the field. The Texans always wanted to be an indoor team. The only reason for the open roof was to allow real grass to grow. Not for the open field game day experience.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-7_14-7-15.gif
    upload_2017-1-7_14-7-15.gif
    76 bytes · Views: 3
    75 bytes · Views: 3
    44 bytes · Views: 4
    73 bytes · Views: 2
Texans inactives:
QB Tom Savage, CB Denzel Rice, ILB John Simon, ILB Max Bullough, G Josh Walker, WR Wendall Williams and DE Ufomba Kamalu.

Over/under

Total score 23
Texans score 13
Raiders score 9
How many ints Oz throws 2
Quarter Oz gets pulled 3rd
Sacks by clowney 1
Sacks by Mack 4
Weeden scoring drives 2

How I see the game going. Weeden comes in late after Oz stinks it up and leads A scoring drive that gets us within a point or two. Defense holds, weeden moves team within field goal range and we win by one or two. Thorrson has to change his underwear and go to a plastic surgeon to have the smile removed from his face!!!!!

Reactions: ROO
If our D front 7 don't annihilate Cook, it will be proof that #1 Defense is only a paper tiger...a play on numbers. We are labelled #1 because of yds given up. The true #1 is a D that gives up the least points like the Pats (#1, vs the Texans #11). We've only had 17 takeaways for the entire season (#27) and we have only had 1 defensive TD all year. People have to take our overhyped #1 D status and place it in realistic perspective.
The Texans defense plays with an offense that turns the ball over (19th in the NFL) and puts it in poor field position (27th). They rarely play with a lead (like the Pats defense) and have to honor both the run and the pass. I think it's impressive the Texans are 10th in the league in scoring defense, considering. Put it this way, I think Belichick could win with this group.

If the defense goes crazy on a mean streak today, it would up the watchable index quite a bit. That at least would be entertaining.

Back