Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

*Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Titans Game 2, Sunday Sept 16, 2018!!

Tell me again how our pass rush is going to eat up those 3rd string tackles they have to play. Our pass rush is non-existent. When you can't get any pressure without red dogging, you're in trouble. Watt is finished as a star and is no longer better than average as a DE.

It's OBs fault that the Texans didn't overpay good OL?
Um yeah, he pushed RS out. Got his boy in. His boy got him 5 extra years. His boy drafted a safety first. Took two TEs. His boy signed one free agent T. His boy and him will be here a while. OB won the power struggle. We 0-2 now

Tell me again how our pass rush is going to eat up those 3rd string tackles they have to play. Our pass rush is non-existent. When you can't get any pressure without red dogging, you're in trouble. Watt is finished as a star and is no longer better than average as a DE.

This. The defense right now is playing ok, but i'm seeing a lot of missed tackles out there....which when you play a bend but don't break defense where you're keeping everything underneath...……...you kinda gotta make those tackles and stop guys short. I mean that's the point right?

As far as the pass rush, I'm not gonna say anything about Watt, he's about the only one up front doing anything. Reader is also doing well. Mercy has been a COMPLETE NO SHOW. Clowney….im about ready to trade/release him...he made me so mad with that garbage he pulled on the sideline today.

Man Gabbert only threw for a whopping 117 yards. You do know that right. The darn trickery, O'brien's play calling, Watson's indecisiveness and ultra slow lethargic start is what cost us this game.

And JJ Watt played solid.

Man Gabbert only threw for a whopping 117 yards. You do know that right. The darn trickery, O'brien's play calling, Watson's indecisiveness and ultra slow lethargic start is what cost us this game.

And JJ Watt played solid.

ST is what cost us this game.... missed FG, gave up a TD..penalties undermining field position....

Reactions: JB
Like I said before, this is what you get when you sign a bunch of backup OL to be your starters. Why anybody is surprised about how things have turned out baffles me. It does look like Fulton/Rankin look like keepers. Hopefully they add another couple of OL in FA/Draft.

You put this together with a QB coming off of an ACL and the team being undisciplined in general and you get where the Texans franchise is today. The defense looking very avg is more troubling than how the offense looks right now, if only because I expected the OL to suck.

Absolutely. That should have been the conversation. If it's not there throw it away. Makes me wonder if it just wasn't brought up by OB or if Deshaun just fucked up.
I am asking in all honesty..........what QB has not been taught from at least college, that you are to be aware of the time clock and throw a ball away quickly when there is no apparent decent option...........especially at the end of an NFL game with just seconds on the clock? If you haven't gotten that ingrained into your "instincts" by then, how can you expect any coach to be responsible for that type of gaff?

The last 2 games, the D was changing their formations at the last second before Watson would snap the ball. Watson didn't recognize it and didn't call the correct protections. These misreadings were most glaring with the "surprise" blitzes. Teams have reviewed film and this is one thing that stood out like a sore thumb. Watson need more play time to hopefully start recognizing some of these better.

Responsible for everything? Nope. Today was on a number of players, coaches, etc.

At the same time this has been going on year in and year out during his time. Players have changed but the head coach hasn't. So when do you look at him? He's supposed to be an offensive coach yet couldn't figure a way to work with any quarterback that came through except Watson though still an asterik there since we still haven't seen what we saw last year for that stretch of games. Heck, other offensive coaches found a way to even make Keenum work where O'brien failed.

Penalties fall on players, certainly, but a small part on the coach as well. Coaching is more than X's and O's. It is teaching team discipline. It is motivating your players to embrace game day. It's making adjustments. So where has O'Brien illustrated any of this? We aren't seeing discipline. We aren't seeing a motivated team. We aren't seeing adjustments. Coach has to put his players in the best situations to win. Having your QB do 7 step dropbacks behind a poor offensive line isn't a smart idea. If you watched the Pack vs the Bears Sunday night that is adjusting. Their line was getting killed so what did the Pack do? 3-step dropback and get it out before the rush could get to Rodgers. When we get mauled? Nothing changes. We keep doing the same thing expecting different results.

So yeah, O'Brien isn't the only one to blame but at the end of the day you want to see some form of progress on your team during the tenure of a coach. What progress has been made? We should be a some sort of contender and right now we're looking 3rd best in our own division. That isn't progress. That is taking steps backwards or standing still. I mean if we wish to settle for mediocre then O'Brien has proven flawless. If we want progress and have this city actually ever see a football championship on the professional level that isn't the AFL then yeah....we may need a change.

Responsible for everything? Nope. Today was on a number of players, coaches, etc.

At the same time this has been going on year in and year out during his time. Players have changed but the head coach hasn't. So when do you look at him? He's supposed to be an offensive coach yet couldn't figure a way to work with any quarterback that came through except Watson though still an asterik there since we still haven't seen what we saw last year for that stretch of games. Heck, other offensive coaches found a way to even make Keenum work where O'brien failed.

Penalties fall on players, certainly, but a small part on the coach as well. Coaching is more than X's and O's. It is teaching team discipline. It is motivating your players to embrace game day. It's making adjustments. So where has O'Brien illustrated any of this? We aren't seeing discipline. We aren't seeing a motivated team. We aren't seeing adjustments. Coach has to put his players in the best situations to win. Having your QB do 7 step dropbacks behind a poor offensive line isn't a smart idea. If you watched the Pack vs the Bears Sunday night that is adjusting. Their line was getting killed so what did the Pack do? 3-step dropback and get it out before the rush could get to Rodgers. When we get mauled? Nothing changes. We keep doing the same thing expecting different results.

So yeah, O'Brien isn't the only one to blame but at the end of the day you want to see some form of progress on your team during the tenure of a coach. What progress has been made? We should be a some sort of contender and right now we're looking 3rd best in our own division. That isn't progress. That is taking steps backwards or standing still. I mean if we wish to settle for mediocre then O'Brien has proven flawless. If we want progress and have this city actually ever see a football championship on the professional level that isn't the AFL then yeah....we may need a change.

O'Brien is not forcing Watson to do a 7 step drop. As opposed to Kubiak, it is obvious that Watson has always had the option to adjust the step drop to whatever the D dictates. It's called reading the defense............and so far, Watson is having significant problems with reading.

Like I said before, this is what you get when you sign a bunch of backup OL to be your starters. Why anybody is surprised about how things have turned out baffles me. It does look like Fulton/Rankin look like keepers. Hopefully they add another couple of OL in FA/Draft.

You put this together with a QB coming off of an ACL and the team being undisciplined in general and you get where the Texans franchise is today. The defense looking very avg is more troubling than how the offense looks right now, if only because I expected the OL to suck.

The interior o-lineman addtions of Fulton & Kelemete seem to be pretty good...Those 2 with a healthy Nick Martin I think are the main reasons Miller & Blue have been running the ball well. Those tackle positions though......Rankin might be ok for the future, but right now he doesn't look too hot.

Reactions: Max
The last 2 games, the D was changing their formations at the last second before Watson would snap the ball. Watson didn't recognize it and didn't call the correct protections. These misreadings were most glaring with the "surprise" blitzes. Teams have reviewed film and this is one thing that stood out like a sore thumb. Watson need more play time to hopefully start recognizing some of these better.

Exactly. So why would anyone put that on the line. Those sacks today, Watson didn't recognize it at all.

Reactions: JB
Yeah I think we're seeing the growing pains that we didn't see last year with Watson. He clearly is struggling with what he's seeing...that's why he's holding onto the ball so long. He's over-estimating his ability to get away from the rush a little too much too.

But the other thing that's hurting him is we can't spread the defense out b/c the o-line can't block. Everyone wondering why we're not throwing to the TE's.. We're having to keep those guys in to help out blocking. If we send them out, we've got to keep the back in. The right and left tackles are literally killing the offense.

I'm sitting here watching this Dal/NY game..NY has the same problems. Erick Flowers is getting owned & Eli can't do **** but throw short crossers to ODB and Barkley.

Unless your name is Bill Belchick, you coach anywhere longer than 4 years there are going to be failures anyone with a grudge can point to.

I don't have a grudge.

Just never been a big fan of O'b. I think I've been fair. I've hoped against hope that he'd be the guy we want him to be. Even now, this appears to be the same old sloppy play early in the season, which turns into a solid disciplined team four or five games in. Especially the defensive side of the ball, when Romeo finds out what's what.

I know O'b didn't plan to start Rankin & Davenport as our tackles & two games in the young'ns don't look that bad.

But we're 0-2 & we had that Tennessee game if he hadn't got cute & just ran the ball like the Titans did.

We lost a division game, we lost to the Patriots. The Jags have beat the Patriots & they've already beat the Giants. To keep pace, or at least not lose more ground, we have to beat the Giants next week. Another struggling team. But odds are, because it's usually the way it goes, we'll be the get right team that sparks the Giants to an awesome season.

The interior o-lineman addtions of Fulton & Kelemete seem to be pretty good...Those 2 with a healthy Nick Martin I think are the main reasons Miller & Blue have been running the ball well. Those tackle positions though......Rankin might be ok for the future, but right now he doesn't look too hot.

Kelemete is a weak link He lacks power that top tier OG's have. I see him as an upgrade over XSF but still below avg.

I don't have a grudge.

Just never been a big fan of O'b. I think I've been fair. I've hoped against hope that he'd be the guy we want him to be. Even now, this appears to be the same old sloppy play early in the season, which turns into a solid disciplined team four or five games in. Especially the defensive side of the ball, when Romeo finds out what's what.

I know O'b didn't plan to start Rankin & Davenport as our tackles & two games in the young'ns don't look that bad.

But we're 0-2 & we had that Tennessee game if he hadn't got cute & just ran the ball like the Titans did.

We lost a division game, we lost to the Patriots. The Jags have beat the Patriots & they've already beat the Giants. To keep pace, or at least not lose more ground, we have to beat the Giants next week. Another struggling team. But odds are, because it's usually the way it goes, we'll be the get right team that sparks the Giants to an awesome season.

Agreed. Manning will more likely have a monster game. And Barkley will run the ball like he's the coming of Barry Sanders.

I don't have a grudge.

Davenport has already been benched & Rankin has looked overmatched at times.

Giving up what we did to get Watson, a weak o-line FA market in2018...you can't fix everything in 1 offseason. Folks thinking we were destined for the SB JUST b/c we got a qb we believe in....reality is hitting home now.

Davenport didn't look bad............he looked TERRIBLE! He's apparently gained muscle, but has fully maintained the lack of strength he so well demonstrated last year against his D opponents.

Counting on Davenport was the fatal flaw in the offseason plan.

Davenport didn't look bad............he looked TERRIBLE! He's apparently gained muscle, but has fully maintained the lack of strength he so well demonstrated last year against his D opponents.
Yep. Just not strong enough. Doesn't get any worse than this play.

davenport100.gif

Davenport has already been benched & Rankin has looked overmatched at times.

Davenport finished the game.

Yes, both had issues, but they're both young protecting a young QB. I'm not saying they'll make All-Team offense, or Pro Bowl, but considering I think they'll get us through the season.

The Texans lost, huh?

I think I’ll eat an apple.

EDIT: I decided on an orange instead.

Last edited:

Yes, both had issues, but they're both young protecting a young QB. I'm not saying they'll make All-Team offense, or Pro Bowl, but considering I think they'll get us through the season.

Rankin looks better than Davenport.

Rankin has a powerful base, sometimes he gets beat around the edge but has generally been solid. Davenport on the otherhand mostly just gets walked straight back into Watson.

ehh, give it up Davenport is ass and we may as well put chris clark or kendall lamm back out there for what davenport is doing.

So was your offseason plan.

Do you know what my offseason plan was in addition to signing Solder I wanted them to bring in Norwell. They had the cap space and no, Solder didn't give up six sacks tonight unless things went terribly wrong when I was watching a movie. Next week we get to see Solder against our very own vaunted defense.

What's your O/U on sacks Solder gives up next Sunday?

Do you know what my offseason plan was in addition to signing Solder I wanted them to bring in Norwell. They had the cap space and no, Solder didn't give up six sacks tonight unless things went terribly wrong when I was watching a movie. Next week we get to see Solder against our very own vaunted defense.

What's your O/U on sacks Solder gives up next Sunday?

Against an invisible Mercilus and a missing Clowney? O/U 2

After the game, when he was asked about the play, Watson said the Titans "played good coverage" and "time ran out." When he was asked if he should have thrown the ball away with time still left on the clock, he said, "of course."

"But while you're playing ... You can sit back and sit in your seats and say that I needed to throw the ball away," Watson said. "But we tried to take a shot and we didn't have any timeouts and they guarded the sideline very well. So my instincts took over and tried to get the ball and time ran out."
link

Sorry, but the excuse of reacting to "instincts" for critical decisions is something that should be left behind in college "runaround" scenario football. Reverting to "instincts" like this becomes too Manzielian.

Last edited:
DnS6gkqUwAERuhA.jpg:small

I think Watson just needs to start repeating the corporate motto. Trying to start a Twitter fight with a Texans journalist last week and now trying to start a fight with fans isn’t a good way to start a career as a QB in the Not For Long league. In this league you’re only as good as your last play; Mr. Watson, your last play was a boneheaded disaster.

I think Watson just needs to start repeating the corporate motto. Trying to start a Twitter fight with a Texans journalist last week and now trying to start a fight with fans isn’t a good way to start a career as a QB in the Not For Long league. In this league you’re only as good as your last play; Mr. Watson, your last play was a boneheaded disaster.

I said the same thing on Facebook last night. His only concern should be playing football and trying to get better each game.

link

Sorry, but the excuse of reacting to "instincts" for critical decisions is something that should be left behind in college "runaround" scenario football. Reverting to "instincts" like this becomes too Manzielian.

I think this is the underlying problem with Watson and OB. OB has made him more into a thinker instead of just reacting. Last year you saw him more instinctive and quick.

I think this is the underlying problem with Watson and OB. OB has made him more into a thinker instead of just reacting. Last year you saw him more instinctive and quick.

BOB failed if he tried to make Watson more of a thinker.

See: the last play as an example of not thinking under pressure.

right now the game is too fast for Watson, I'm hoping this is because he doesn't trust his knee and his instincts are off.

I believe you took my post in the opposite manner it was meant. Let me make it clearer. All great QBs are great thinkers.............they think before they react. Their instincts are only an adjunct to their thinking processes. College QBs who commonly rely mostly on their instincts, litter the NFL discard piles.

Mike Rodak

✔@mikerodak

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/1041661865796009991

Longest average time before pass this season, per @ESPNStatsInfo:

1. Josh Allen — 3.57 seconds
2. Deshaun Watson — 3.4
3. Russell Wilson — 3.09
4. Nick Foles — 2.99
5. Sam Darnold — 2.97

7:15 AM - Sep 17, 2018

Mike Rodak

✔@mikerodak

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/1041661373120479233

Highest QB pressure rate (sacked, under duress or hit) per drop back this season, per @ESPNStatsInfo:

1. Deshaun Watson — 48.8%
2. Russell Wilson — 42.5%
3. Tyrod Taylor — 40.4%
4. Mitchell Trubisky — 37.2%
5. Josh Allen — 36.1%

7:13 AM - Sep 17, 2018

#Texans O’Brien on final play: ‘We need to call a better play. A better play for him’.

— Cole Thompson (@MrColeThompson) September 17, 2018

Bill O’Brien says eliminating mistakes and penalties among the biggest things to improve: "It starts with me." #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) September 17, 2018

#Texans Bill O’Brien on team: ’ I need to do a better job calling better plays. We’re leading the league in rushing and that’s a good thing but we’re 0-2, so that’s not good.’

Bill O’Brien on the Titans’ fake punt: "Studying that during the week, we felt like they’d handle that differently. … That’s a mistake on my part." #Texans

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) September 17, 2018

#Texans Bill O’Brien on team attitude: ’ These guys played hard. They gave really good effort. It’s about consistency.’

Ya think? So not covering the gunner was intentional. Oy vey.

According to the Titans player that threw the TD, the Texans gave the same punt block lock against NE and he was told if the Titans get that look too, don’t hesitate, call the fake punt play and throw it. They were hoping the Texans would be dumb enough to fake the punt block and he (O’Brien) was.

According to the Titans player that threw the TD, the Texans gave the same punt block lock against NE and he was told if the Titans get that look too, don’t hesitate, call the fake punt play and throw it. They were hoping the Texans would be dumb enough to fake the punt block and he (O’Brien) was.
Overall, the ST's is the best that its been under BOB imo. Hopefully Seely just learned a lesson that took RSmith years to learn - stop listening to BOB.

The Texans are 0-2, and I really don't care what the reasons are, there are a bunch anyways. They're the same old crappy team they've always been, nothing's changed. Piss poor coaching and team management are always easy to blame on the Texans because they demonstrate it so often.

Even if they do get their sh!t together it'll only be enough to get them into the wild card round where they'll promptly exit.

Overall, the ST's is the best that its been under BOB imo. Hopefully Seely just learned a lesson that took RSmith years to learn - stop listening to BOB.

Really? i don't recall the previous special teams coach under BoB getting a fake punt thrown on him for a TD...Me thinks this was all one Mr. Seely who allowed that to happen.

Back