Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

**Official Game-Day Thread** Preseason 3...Cardinals @ Texans!!

Lee flashing again. Do we have room for both Lee and Scarlett?
what was Lee's physical issue when he was waived in May?
When Texans rookie Eric Lee was playing for the University of South Florida, he primarily spent his time with his hand in the dirt in a three-point stance as a traditional defensive end.

Athletic and mobile at 6-3, 260 pounds, Lee is learning on the job how to play outside linebacker.

Lee is being tutored by Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel, a former New England Patriots Pro Bowl outside linebacker who made the conversion to outside linebacker with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Lee worked out privately for Vrabel prior to the NFL draft before going undrafted and being signed by the Texans to a three-year contract.

"I'm learning a lot," Lee said. "It's an eye-opening experience. I'm taking full advantage of it."

A 6-3, 260-pound team captain, Lee runs the 40-yard dash in 4.72 seconds and bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times. He had a 9-9 broad jump.

Lee was a second-team all-conference selection who won the Lee Roy Selmon award as the Bulls' top defensive lineman.

He had 45 tackles, 12 for losses, five sacks, an interception, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. He had a sack and intercepted a pass in the Miami Beach Bowl.

He finished his career with 87 tackles, 19 1/2 for losses and 5 1/2 sacks.

The biggest adjustment for Lee is pass coverage as he's already an experienced pass rusher.

"Yes, I'm having more zone responsibilities," Lee said. "I just believe this is the next level of opportunity and responsibility for me. With the help of Mike Vrabel and all the defensive assistants, they're helping me get the little things right and figuring out where I fit into this defense."

By signing with the Texans, Lee rejoined former South Florida teammate Reshard Cliett. Cliett is a linebacker who spent his rookie season last year on injured reserve with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

"He was the first person I saw when I got here," Lee said. "I was so excited to see him. He's a great person. He told me if there's anything I need or any questions I have to not hesitate to ask. It's wonderful to be on the same team with him again.
I wish Scarlett could play ILB.

This may come off rude; are we going to hear about Leah Still all offseason? I'm just saying that the story has been talked about for what 2 years now?
as good a story if not better as she's a child as Quessenberry and that went on for years. I am ok with it as I like feel good stories.

This may come off rude; are we going to hear about Leah Still all offseason? I'm just saying that the story has been talked about for what 2 years now?

I understand what you are saying, but yes, and i wouldnt say that too loud or much. May offend a cancer survivor. Though I wouldn't find it nearly as annoying as hearing about New Orleans and Katrina.

I understand what you are saying, but yes, and i wouldnt say that too loud or much. May offend a cancer survivor. Though I wouldn't find it nearly as annoying as hearing about New Orleans and Katrina.

I don't mean it to disrespect her or any cancer survivor. Give me the 5 year update and I'll be happy with the feel good story. I just think it's been covered enough. Let the kid be a kid and let's talk football. How's her dad adjusting to being a full time player again? How's the family adjusting to Houston? But you make a good point, someone probably will get offended.

26 observations from Texans vs. Cardinals
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...ardinals/3af500a1-b4e7-4432-9c36-e1a6513a7e7d

1. I’ve heard from some people over the past two weeks that thought that inside linebacker
Benardrick McKinney wasn’t impressive in their eyes over the first two weeks of the season. I haven’t quite seen it that way. Sunday was confirmation that he was on his game, especially early on. He sniffed out a screen on first play of the game and tackled David Johnson for no gain. Then, on the next play, Pro Bowl guard Mike Iupati pulled on a power play with McKinney in his sights. McKinney shocked and shed him and made the tackle on Johnson.

2. I told Andre Hal after the game that he’s a ball magnet. Somehow, some way, the ball is going to find Hal. That was the case on the interception. Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork tipped the ball, but instead of making the ball flutter or turn end over end, the ball maintained a perfect spiral. Luckily, it spiraled directly to Hal.

3. Five turnovers on the day. Good day.

4. Brock Osweiler’s first throw of the day was a disaster, a dirt diver at Lamar Miller’s feet. The next 12 throws? Outstanding. He was 11 of 13 with that miss to Miller and the only other incompletion may have been his best throw of the day. Wide receiver Will Fuller couldn’t hang on to that one, though. And, that would’ve been a touchdown too. Regardless, Osweiler was on point throughout the afternoon.

5. Osweiler’s best play came at the most needed time on 4th and three on the first drive after the Hal interception. His pocket presence allowed him to keep the play alive. Cardinals defensive end Markus Golden tried to beat right tackle Kendall Lamm up the field. Osweiler sensed that he had an opening to get underneath Golden and run for the first down. But, Cardinals linebacker Deone Bucannon redirected off his coverage and moved toward Osweiler. So, the Texans gun slinger pulled up and hit Braxton Miller for a 18-yard gain and a massive first down. Osweiler’s eyes never left downfield and it paid off.

I just watched the Cardinal's first scoring drive. Nice... for the Cardinals that is. They probably didn't game plan their run game, but David Johnson is a beast. Their OL did a good job putting hands on our LBs. We had some good plays where we filled holes, got penetration. If I count, we probably won more than we didn't, but when they won they gashed us.

They also ran a good tempo, up tempo pace, which presented a challenge for us. Including several routes that challenge one defende, or complimentary routes that created a lot of space for their receivers. We made some mistakes in our zone drops, responsibilities, & spacing. I don't think this will be an issue in the regular season. I would think with film study we'll have a better idea of their tendencies & formation recognition.

As much trouble as the Cardinal's offense has had, they've got a lot of good things going for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the Super Bowl even though they are 0-3 in the preseason.

I just watched the Cardinal's first scoring drive. Nice... for the Cardinals that is. They probably didn't game plan their run game, but David Johnson is a beast. Their OL did a good job putting hands on our LBs. We had some good plays where we filled holes, got penetration. If I count, we probably won more than we didn't, but when they won they gashed us.

They also ran a good tempo, up tempo pace, which presented a challenge for us. Including several routes that challenge one defende, or complimentary routes that created a lot of space for their receivers. We made some mistakes in our zone drops, responsibilities, & spacing. I don't think this will be an issue in the regular season. I would think with film study we'll have a better idea of their tendencies & formation recognition.

As much trouble as the Cardinal's offense has had, they've got a lot of good things going for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the Super Bowl even though they are 0-3 in the preseason.
The stat sheet supports your conclusion
Except in turnovers. They'll have to fix that soon if they want another shot at the NFC title game

Team Stats
  • Total Yards
    • ARI - 437
    • 246 - HOU
  • Turnovers
    • ARI - 5
    • HOU - 1
  • Possession
    ARI - 36:05
    HOU - 23:56
  • 1st Downs
    • ARI - 27
    • 12 - HOU

The stat sheet supports your conclusion
Except in turnovers. They'll have to fix that soon if they want another shot at the NFC title game

Team Stats
  • Total Yards
    • ARI - 437
    • 246 - HOU
  • Turnovers
    • ARI - 5
    • HOU - 1
  • Possession
    ARI - 36:05
    HOU - 23:56
  • 1st Downs
    • ARI - 27
    • 12 - HOU

I didn't watch the game, so honest question here. How much of that 437 total yards came after the Texans were up big? Was the defense getting pushed all over the field and came up with timely turnovers, or was it pretty even until all the backups were in?

I didn't watch the game, so honest question here. How much of that 437 total yards came after the Texans were up big? Was the defense getting pushed all over the field and came up with timely turnovers, or was it pretty even until all the backups were in?

I think it lived up to it's billing as the most regular season like game.

The Cardinal's first scoring drive started at our 25. At the same time, I think their first drive was 3 & out. Then John Simon intercepted Palmer on their third drive.

There's no telling who would have won 60 minutes of starters.

I think it lived up to it's billing as the most regular season like game.

The Cardinal's first scoring drive started at our 25. At the same time, I think their first drive was 3 & out. Then John Simon intercepted Palmer on their third drive.

There's no telling who would have won 60 minutes of starters.

The Texans would've have won easily.

The dumbest play was on the coach. Going for the TD on 4th down could have cost the game.
In a pre-season game, you go for it every damn time. You don't need to practice a 28 yard FG or whatever it would have been. You run your offense as much as you can, especially in those situational instances. The score of the game DOES NOT MATTER.

God I hate pre-season.

Do you have Gamepass?

Worth it for $99 a year.

All games and condensed versions (just plays).

Select all 22 games.

I'm watching all Bears preseason at the moment.
Nope. In fact, I had to google it LoL
I like the all-22 view and the fact that you have access to games all the way back to 2009.
I'll think about it
:)

Loved game pass while in Europe, coming home next month for good so did not get for this year and hating it already. THe Europe and US purchases are different so not portable

Nope. In fact, I had to google it LoL
I like the all-22 view and the fact that you have access to games all the way back to 2009.
I'll think about it
:)

It's great for me because I don't live in Houston and I normally don't get to catch games live anyway.

And the fact that I can keep up with how our next opponent is playing is a huge bonus!

Back