Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Bills at Texans, Sunday Oct 14, 2018!!

ok use your mario face that doesn't ******* change history

Yeah b/c we know these players have NO say in whether they take the field or not..these guys are just brainless meat heads who get told what to do regarding their health.

Furthermore, The mere fact that you’re insinuating that this type of behavior is JUST BoB and the Texans organization who may engage in this is hilarious.

When u guys stop looking for excuses and someone to place blame on besides the players themselves you’ll finally get it.

1st down on the opponent's 1-yard line. A team like the Texans needs better field position than that. They need my option-inches formation.
Put the QB under center and split both ends. If they aren't both covered, the QB can lob the ball to one of them. Put 2 fullbacks behind the guards at the same depth as the QB. Line up a RB about 2 yards behind the QB. The default play is QB sneak but if the D overloads the center hand the ball to one of the FB's, who are prepared to take it straight ahead if they get it. If the QB decides to hand off to the RB on either side, the latter has a lead blocker up front.

This is two weeks in a row we failed to score a TD from the one with 1st and Goal. I say we can do it next week too.

Wow. Cowboys now lead 24-0 over the Jaguars.
The Titans are losing to the Ravens did you say?

Texans about to be in first place in the AFC South!
A three-way tie. Texans, Titans and Jaguars all 3-3.

Those first place Houston Texans!!!!

Yep.....three teams sitting mid-way up on this pile of shite known as the AFC South!!! There are no winners here, just the eventual 5th or 6th losers.

Reads like a variation of the straight T-formation from the 50 plus years ago...the core issue of having an OLmen who one on one block the dude in front of him isn't made any better by having back closer to the line with fewer options(space) to see a crease and/or cut to a hole.
The formation is only for very short yardage situations. In those cases there are no creases or holes. You have to hit before the defenders can charge across the line and set their feet.

Our line is terrible, everyone knows this. So we should work on routes and combinations that free up targets faster right? Welker and Amendola running complimentary routes 5 yards from scrimmage right? Gronk and Hernandez turning to make themselves easy zone targets and then hitting bigger play actions right? Nahhhhh! Focus on our receivers ...

Every route is 15+ yards down the field, with the occasional crosser into the teeth of cover 2. If Watson isn't allowed to scramble around and make decisions outside of the pocket, he's got no choice but to be a sitting duck waiting on these routes to develop (IF they develop). THAT is coaching.

The #Texans defense saved the day against the Bills, and Johnathan Joseph (92.3) and Zach Cunningham (90.7) posted their highest grades of the season! pic.twitter.com/Ma4VQiVNIc

— PFF HOU Texans (@PFF_Texans) October 15, 2018

#Texans offensive line pass-blocking grades and pressures allowed vs BUF:

Julie’n Davenport: 21.8 (9) – 3 sacks, 3 hits
Senio Kelemete: 76.3 (1)
Nick Martin: 84.3 (0)
Zach Fulton: 71.7 (2)
Kendall Lamm: 61.5 (2)

Watson was faulted with two pressures: one sack and one hurry

The formation is only for very short yardage situations. In those cases there are no creases or holes. You have to hit before the defenders can charge across the line and set their feet.
Creating gaps and creases is how short yardage is won.

Because an offense has to handle the ball, there is no advantaged gained by so-called hitting quickly. This is why the only true quick hitting short yardage play is a quick snap QB sneak which works only a "surprise" play.

The play (as I am reading it) described is (well was) called the dive play and because the Defense largely can just stand its ground or make slight penetration to win because the running back is just trying to plow forward based behind the OL.

Moving a RB closer than three yards or so creates does not allow that player to gain any significant power when hitting the line. Literally a player needs a couple of steps force. The science people here can better do the physics than I can.

I appreciate trying to think of a new way, but what you suggest has been done before. Then again going back to an old way may have some merit.

Because an offense has to handle the ball, there is no advantaged gained by so-called hitting quickly. This is why the only true quick hitting short yardage play is a quick snap QB sneak which works only a "surprise" play.

The play (as I am reading it) described is (well was) called the dive play and because the Defense largely can just stand its ground or make slight penetration to win because the running back is just trying to plow forward based behind the OL.

Moving a RB closer than three yards or so creates does not allow that player to gain any significant power when hitting the line. Literally a player needs a couple of steps force. The science people here can better do the physics than I can.

I appreciate trying to think of a new way, but what you suggest has been done before. Then again going back to an old way may have some merit.

Thank you. Once Boomer Esiason noticed the box people were all up on the LOS and there were no linebackers. So he signalled his RB to come up behind left guard. He handed him the ball and the back got through quickly and there was no more containment. He ran about 15 yards.

Thank you. Once Boomer Esiason noticed the box people were all up on the LOS and there were no linebackers. So he signalled his RB to come up behind left guard. He handed him the ball and the back got through quickly and there was no more containment. He ran about 15 yards.

Once.

Reactions: ROO
Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney calling Blake Bortles 'trash' last season: "I don't like that. First off, we don't believe that." Expresses a lot of admiration for the progress the Jags have made. #Texans

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) October 15, 2018

Bill O'Brien will meet with Deshaun Watson this afternoon. Says he thinks he's doing better today than he was last week at this point regarding chest injury. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) October 15, 2018

Our line is terrible, everyone knows this. So we should work on routes and combinations that free up targets faster right? Welker and Amendola running complimentary routes 5 yards from scrimmage right? Gronk and Hernandez turning to make themselves easy zone targets and then hitting bigger play actions right? Nahhhhh! Focus on our receivers ...

Every route is 15+ yards down the field, with the occasional crosser into the teeth of cover 2. If Watson isn't allowed to scramble around and make decisions outside of the pocket, he's got no choice but to be a sitting duck waiting on these routes to develop (IF they develop). THAT is coaching.

crazy thing is that O'Brien was there (NE) when the multi TE formation was causing havoc. Last year we draft two young athletic TE's and I was like 'ohh ok this guy is gonna bring it back' but yet they are rarely incorporated via gameplanning or scheme, and its more of the same basic routes that experienced DBs can squat on and jump.

The #Texans defense saved the day against the Bills, and Johnathan Joseph (92.3) and Zach Cunningham (90.7) posted their highest grades of the season! pic.twitter.com/Ma4VQiVNIc

#Texans offensive line pass-blocking grades and pressures allowed vs BUF:

Julie’n Davenport: 21.8 (9) – 3 sacks, 3 hits
Senio Kelemete: 76.3 (1)
Nick Martin: 84.3 (0)
Zach Fulton: 71.7 (2)
Kendall Lamm: 61.5 (2)

Watson was faulted with two pressures: one sack and one hurry

my God man ... those few Pro-Davenport stragglers have anything to say?

O'Brien is calling plays according to the players he wishes he had, not the players that are actually on his team. He does not adjust to them or to the situation. It's a disconnect from reality that is getting Watson killed.

I'm really trying to not exaggerate, but the stubborness of this reveals an ineptitude. I'm equally bewildered as I am frustrated while watching Watson get battered like Tina.

Your linemen can't protect? Call plays that require downfield route development.

Receivers draped with defenders? Rely on receivers.

We know the personnel can win red zone battles or toss short yardage blitz beaters because they did it last season. Why is this suddenly an insurmountable challenge? It's not just because the line can't run the ball. There's a deeper failure of understanding happening here.

For all the lost patience the FO claimed to have for Kubiak's stubbornness, O'Brien makes Kubiak look like a weeping willow.

Last edited:
O'Brien is calling plays according to the players he wishes he had, not the players that are actually on his team. He does not adjust to them or to the situation. It's a disconnect from reality that is getting Watson killed.

I'm really trying to not exaggerate, but the stubborness of this reveals an ineptitude. I'm equally bewildered as I am frustrated while watching Watson get battered like Tina.

Your linemen can't block? Call plays that require downfield route development.

Receivers draped with defenders? Rely on receivers.

We know the personnel can win red zone battles and short yardage blitz beaters because they did it last season. Why is this suddenly an unsurmountable challenge? It's not just because the line can't run the ball. There's a deeper failure of understanding happening here.

For all the lost patience the FO claimed to have for Kubiak's stubborness, O'Brien makes Kubiak look like a weeping willow.

First and goal at the one and you going to tell me that wasn't Munoz , Hanna , Mathews , Allen , and Ogden out there blocking ?

What I wouldn't give for the Oilers Oline from exactly 30 years ago -

Bruce Davis - Bruce Matthews - Jay Pennison - Mike Munchak - Dean Steinkuhler

That's a crew that could wreck shop. Warren Moon was lucky compared to the **** show they built for Watson. It's embarrassing and heads should roll.

Actually, make that head. Gaine has only been here one offseason and deserves more time to put his stamp on this unit, but so far - not impressed Gaine - not impressed.

Run blocking takes talent, obviously. It's also one of the most coach-dependent areas of the game. Talent is an apparent hole, but just as easy to see is teaching and technique. But the aspect of coaching as well, from designing runs that give the back a designed lane and an option, to getting inside or walling defenders. Our players made it to the NFL, it's not a group of 5 guys plucked from the stands. They should have the basics of short yardage blocking down, and execute a play that is actually designed with more thought than 'hat on a hat - good luck!'. Instead we see double teaming one defender while another runs free as often as talent fails, things that should be ironed out Monday-Friday.

my God man ... those few Pro-Davenport stragglers have anything to say?
I didn't grade the game as I watched, but I felt confident the middle/right gave up more pressure than the left, middle/left side gave up.

I'm willing to admit I may be wrong. But in not taking PFF's word for it. & I'm not going to watch that game again. I will, though, make it a point to watch objectively next week.

Reactions: JB
we also need a CB or three along the way

Agreed, but I like the idea of heavily investing all of the highest draft picks including trading up or for a vet LT to fix the OL.

Cant have Watson taking the beating he's been taking. History is repeating itself.

Agreed, but I like the idea of heavily investing all of the highest draft picks including trading up or for a vet LT to fix the OL.

Cant have Watson taking the beating he's been taking. History is repeating itself.

Yeah but don't matter much if the offense scores 30+ if the defense gives up 42

It matters if you keep your franchise QB healthy.

we certainly need to add OL early but we also need cb's and a rb... or do you want to rely on JJo another year and Colvin at all. They need to make some quality additions in FA as well as drafting smart

we certainly need to add OL early but we also need cb's and a rb... or do you want to rely on JJo another year and Colvin at all. They need to make some quality additions in FA as well as drafting smart

If it means keeping Watson healthy I'm good with going all OL and picking up a CB/RB in FA. Normally I wouldn't think like this but these aren't normal times. The Texans are about to lose their franchise QB for the 2nd time since its inception due to the same kind of neglect.

If it means keeping Watson healthy I'm good with going all OL and picking up a CB/RB in FA. Normally I wouldn't think like this but these aren't normal times. The Texans are about to lose their franchise QB for the 2nd time since its inception due to the same kind of neglect.

Given that it takes a few years for OL to develop to decent, I'd rather add /trade for a vet or three, add a couple early in the draft along with a CB or three and a RB. But the Texans certainly need to add in all 3 areas. Recall a couple years ago Matthews/Bahktari/Staley among others were considered busts? Not often does a Joe Thomas come around that does really well early

we also need a CB or three along the way

We're masking that right now by having both Kareem and Matthieu at safety to play the slot and man-tightend positions, Kareem playing more corner lately with Reid getting good time (apparently Romeo reads my posts). I don't think it can be understated, there is an absolute chemistry involved in the secondary, and Joseph/Kareem have it in spades. If Matthieu moves on next year, Kareem will probably fill that spot at safety and we're down to a 35 year old Joseph being our only legit corner. Yes we foremost need to focus on the line, with a coaching staff that knows what to look for and how to improve them, but you're absolutely right that we need to address the cornerback position.

A drunk thought just occurred to me. Not because of my preference for Kareem at corner, but if a good safety is available I would suggest him over a similar corner. Thinking long term, a pair of complimentary safeties (Earl Thomas + Kam Chancellor) can define a defense, and getting someone to grow up with our very talented Reid might have a bigger overall impact. I feel very strongly that defense is won in the middle, even though the outside gets paid. Haloti Ngata/Sam Adams, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed/Rod Woodson - Superbowl win/top 5 defense of all time.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, this is going to be a Draft Day fix since I can't envision any team with a sound LT trading him unless they have his replacement already on the team. In the foreseeable future, I don't expect to see top LT's hitting FA either.....this position has become gold.

If Miller up the middle doesn't work, you can be sure that the delayed hand-off to Miller up the middle ain't gonna fvcking work either!
I couldn't help but freaking laugh out loud after reading your post and then seeing your avatar....that is epic!

"I don't care Brian, back to back AFC South championships!"

Last edited:

would you go after Trenton Brown in FA this year? I know you wanted the texans to trade for him last year, he has been playing pretty well up there so far

would you go after Trenton Brown in FA this year? I know you wanted the texans to trade for him last year, he has been playing pretty well up there so far

Yes, but I doubt Belichick lets him go.

With Rd. 1 pick this yr this yr the guy that I think is most ready to start at LT is Dalton Risner. I spent last night looking at OT prospects and the 2 that I really like and would do what it takes to add to this roster is Yodany Cajuste and Dalton Risner. Risner can play either OT position and Cajuste has really good feet. I'm going to try to do a mock later today if I can find time. Check it out and give me your thoughts.

With Rd. 1 pick this yr this yr the guy that I think is most ready to start at LT is Dalton Risner. I spent last night looking at OT prospects and the 2 that I really like and would do what it takes to add to this roster is Yodany Cajuste and Dalton Risner. Risner can play either OT position and Cajuste has really good feet. I'm going to try to do a mock later today if I can find time. Check it out and give me your thoughts.

Yea with Brown I'm just hoping him and his agent rather wait to hit the open market to try to maximize his payday instead of re-signing early. With how long it seems to take rookie lineman to adjust to the pro game I really want to add at least one solid piece in FA, and he appears to be one of the only ones.

Is Cajuste the brother of the TE that was on the Browns with the same last name? Either way I will keep an eye on both those guys, and look forward to your mock. Haven't scouted college players to much this year yet, so Idk what type of feedback I can really bring, but if it has a heavy dose of OL with a corner or rb mixed in somewhere I'm sure I'll like it

I thought you had stated Jonah Williams was your top guy?

Josh Allen has been quoted that he takes his elbow injury as a blessing.............. “It’s a blessing in disguise because I’ll be able to stand back and learn from Derek Anderson.”

Translation: "It's a blessing because for several weeks I'm not going to continuously get the C&%P beaten out of me."

Back