Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Divisional Round Playoff Game-Day Thread** Texans at Patriots, Saturday Jan 14, 2017!!

bobdigital

Practice Squad
Pats fan here. Just wanna say your team did well tonight. Play tough and came out physical. Even when down early in the first your team didn't quit. Kept fighting took advantage of some mistakes and clawed back in.

The reason you lost is the Patriots just have more talent. Nothing can be done about that but IMO your teams effort is nothing to be ashamed about. You kept it competitive at Gillette for 45+ minutes. That is hard to do.

OzzO

.. and then?
John McClainVerified account‏@McClain_on_NFL
Texans scored one TD. The offense scored 23 during season, tying Rams for fewest in the league.

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
O'Brien: "Our guys battled hard." Said can't beat Patriots when you give up a 98-yard kickoff return. #Texans

O'Brien: "You're not going to beat the Patriots when you score 16 points." #Texans

O'Brien said #Texans' offense must improve next season. Holding team back. He and Texans must do "soul searching" to make it work.

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
"Our defense played as good as they could play."-Bill O'Brien after the loss.

O'Brien: we have to play better offensively & I put that on me.

O'Brien: I'll be back next season. I'm the Texans head coach. I'm going to work hard to improve offense.

Wolf

100% Texan
Almost better to be blown out than play a winnable game that you lose due to the same failings that have plagued your team for 3 years.
Yeah i told my brother in law that the Texans will play (or Pats will downplay) to give me some damn hope to keep me watching
Pats fan here. Just wanna say your team did well tonight. Play tough and came out physical. Even when down early in the first your team didn't quit. Kept fighting took advantage of some mistakes and clawed back in.

The reason you lost is the Patriots just have more talent. Nothing can be done about that but IMO your teams effort is nothing to be ashamed about. You kept it competitive at Gillette for 45+ minutes. That is hard to do.
I'd say talent on one key position

hradhak

Veteran
What a cluster.. I don't what's worse the fact that is played this game or the fact that he'll be on the team and starting next year

Wolf

100% Texan
Texans scored one TD. The offense scored 23 during season, tying Rams for fewest in the league.

O'Brien: "Our guys battled hard." Said can't beat Patriots when you give up a 98-yard kickoff return. #Texans

O'Brien: "You're not going to beat the Patriots when you score 16 points." #Texans

O'Brien said #Texans' offense must improve next season. Holding team back. He and Texans must do "soul searching" to make it work.

O'Brien: I'll be back next season. I'm the Texans head coach. I'm going to work hard to improve offense.
And we drafted offense.

Hmmm

bigmck

Rookie
We're playing better than I expected and Brady has been relatively lucky so far. A couple of his prayers were answered. Defense has to keep the pressure on. When Brady had time to throw he hit some big plays.
Just think how the game would be going if we had an offense that was any where close to being average.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Soul searching on offense as in trying to find another soul to play qb.

fiasco west

All Pro
I think for our secondary...KJ has to be the odd man out...man look back at the QB every now and then, he was the goat of the defense. I honestly think the game would be different if he wasn't picked on so often. We still have Kevin Johnson, Kareem looked a lot like that old Kareem that no one liked.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
We're not letting Osweiler go. Fine. I can deal with that. Can we put him in as punt returner though? I'd enjoy seeing that.

:/

Not really but I agree with Lucky... he tried. He just doesn't have the talent for it.

This team will never move forward for as long as we have Rick Smith here. He has GOT to go.

dtran04

Veteran
Honestly, Brock throwing 3 INTs will help the FO make a change at QB. Him playing average or even above average would have screwed up next year.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
We're not letting Osweiler go. Fine. I can deal with that. Can we put him in as punt returner though? I'd enjoy seeing that.

:/

Not really but I agree with Lucky... he tried. He just doesn't have the talent for it.

This team will never move forward for as long as we have Rick Smith here. He has GOT to go.

EVOLVIST

Kid A

The Houston Texans have more talent than the Boston Partiots. Period. Except for at QB. Therein is the difference.

The Patriots won this game because the Houston Texans have nothing under center but air. Even with the gifted KO returned for a TD, we were still in it, because our defense is balls-out legit.

If the Texans had lead at any point, Brady would have had his ears pin backed the rest of the night with our pass rush. See last year's game with a geriatric Manning.

That is a lot of "ifs;" nevertheless, you guys won. Good game.

Thorsson

Waterboy
Osweiler will be the starter next season. I'm convinced of that. It's not about winning, it's about padding Osweiler's stats and making excuses for him in order to justify the worst free agent signing in NFL history.

Reactions: ROO

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Oh look it's the dick that was quite the whole game.
Go easy man. It's not PatPatriot's fault he couldnt post. He was busy giving his grandfather a rim job to pay for his crack habit. He probably still has the "oreo crumbs" in his mustache to prove it.

TripleTap

Dead Wood

Well, that's S***LOAD of bad news right there.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
I think for our secondary...KJ has to be the odd man out...man look back at the QB every now and then, he was the goat of the defense. I honestly think the game would be different if he wasn't picked on so often. We still have Kevin Johnson, Kareem looked a lot like that old Kareem that no one liked.
You're so right. I would let Jackson walk, pay Bouye, and draft. K. Johnson will be back next year and we will be in good shape. J. Jo? Man, I don't know yet. I'm still not ready to bring the wheelchair out for him yetm

Wolf

100% Texan
Honestly, Brock throwing 3 INTs will help the FO make a change at QB. Him playing average or even above average would have screwed up next year.
I wish that was true.but we know how accountability works with the Texans....the pay determines the scale of tolerance

Brandon420tx

Flounder
The Houston Texans have more talent than the Boston Partiots. Period. Except for at QB. Therein is the difference.

The Patriots won this game because the Houston Texans have nothing under center but air. Even with the gifted KO returned for a TD, we were still in it, because our defense is balls-out legit.

If the Texans had lead at any point, Brady would have had his ears pin backed the rest of the night with our pass rush. See last year's game with a geriatric Manning.

That is a lot of "ifs;" nevertheless, you guys won. Good game.
Eh, every position on offense is better for the Pats. QB, WR, HB (Lewis is like Miller except used the right way), TE, and OLine.

Their defense is comparable to ours, the Texans are better, but the Pats D is pretty good too

Wolf

100% Texan
Eh, every position on offense is better for the Pats. QB, WR, HB (Lewis is like Miller except used the right way), TE, and OLine.

Their defense is comparable to ours, the Texans are better, but the Pats D is pretty good too
I think brady makes their players seem better talentwise. Kinda what i thought JJ did for our defense a year or so ago.

However ,with that said...edelman and hogan. Watchimg them and thinking...speed(us) or route running/hands (them)

Reactions: ROO
It is easy to blame assweiler and I do mean assweiler but this loss is total not simply on assweiler.

We were totally out classed and overrun.

Coach O'Brien and our coaching staff was outclassed and overmatched.

We have plenty of talent.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Gotta wonder if BOB left Osweiler in to make a point to Rick....look how shitty this guy is
If that were true, which it's not.....maybe....then OB needs to go now. If he kept that trash in to prove a point instead of doing what was necessary to win a PLAYOFF GAME, he needs to be fired before he gets on the plane.

Then again, it's not like OB is much better at the picking a QB game.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
Close game..... Not
I'm surprised you haven't resumed to letting your 4 legged lover give you another Boston cream pie while using Dunkin' Donuts creamer as lubricant.

Well I'm sure you'll be back on the horse or vise versa in no time.

bigmck

Rookie
I have not seen a post about the Forward Pass -- Fumble call. It seems like we had the same call earlier in the season that ended up as a fumble. == Something has got to have changed on this rule. It used to be judged by Arm Motion. If the arm is going forward, it is a Pass. Has a rule changed on this?

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
What was the score at Foxborough when we played the Patriots in the divisional round when Matt Schaub was quarterbacking that game with Gary Kubiak as head coach? I don't recall we played any better. This game we were only down 17-13 at halftime. And 24-16 early in the fourth quarter (one score)!

Sigh, I'm just sick and tired of feeling the same way every year. Always wanting and needing consistent play from the quarterback position. If we had just drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round in the 2005 NFL Draft (16th pick overall), instead of defensive tackle bust Travis Johnson, we'd likely have won one or two Super Bowls and be playing in another AFC Championship game next week.

But we felt David Carr was still capable of becoming a big-time QB at that time. Instead the Green Bay Packers, who already had a future Hall of Fame quarterback in Brett Favre, selected A-Rod with the 24th overall pick in round one.

Stupid draft after stupid draft, for the most part... It makes me mad.
We hit it big with Andre Johnson, J.J. Watt, Duane Brown. etc... etc...
To some degree Brian Cushing. We've had some awesome first-round picks.
But never, and I mean NEVER, at the quarterback position. The most important.

Packer fans are lucky because they've had brilliant general managers.
Aaron Rodgers could have been a Houston Texan. We'd be winning 12 years later...

Football is still about drafting the right players. It's not brain surgery.
You either get lucky or you draft more busts. Any team can find a great QB.
Unfortunately, it seems like teams like the Texans and Browns can't.

Drafting a franchise quarterback would solve all of our problems. Then we wouldn't have to gamble so much and trade two second-round picks for Matt Schaub while swapping first-round picks or whatever the heck it was. And pay an unproven Brock Osweiler four years and $72 million. Very rarely does a Peyton Manning become a free agent. And when he was we foolishly showed no interest in signing him when he had interest in coming here where is father once briefly played.

It's hard to be a Houston Texans fan. I'm frustrated right now...
I'd imagine Dallas Cowboys fans are right there with us.
They were bounced in the divisional round just like us with a ton of talent.

I'm very close to just "not spending my money on the Houston Texans" anymore. I'll just focus on the Astros and Rockets. Why should I make Bob McNair a richer man? He's giving me a mediocre product, for the most part, for 15 years now. Three wild-card wins is all we have. Sigh... I'm writing Mr. McNair a letter right now and sending it to him tomorrow. I doubt he'll read it. I don't care.

Last edited:

False Start

On # 69
A Cowgirls loss is almost as good as a Texans win. I was just as hyped up, maybe even more when the Pack beat the Girls. I was on edge like I was watching my Texans. For one game, I was the biggest Packers fan on the planet, lol.

Check this out.... its fkin awesome! Typical Cowgirls whiny crybaby sh!t. What a dumbass.... :lol:

Bulls on Parade

A Cowgirls loss is almost as good as a Texans win. I was just as hyped up, maybe even more when the Pack beat the Girls. I was on edge like I was watching my Texans. For one game, I was the biggest Packers fan on the planet, lol.

Check this out.... its fkin awesome! Typical Cowgirls whiny crybaby sh!t. What a dumbass.... :lol:
Since the Houston Texans started as an expansion team in 2002, we've won three playoff games in that time. Three wild-card wins (2 vs. Bengals and 1 vs. Raiders). While the Dallas Cowboys have won only two playoff games in that time. Two wild-card wins (1 vs. Lions and 1 vs. Eagles).

We've actually done better than them in terms of playoff wins! 3 versus 2.

Granted they've had two #1 seeds and a first-round bye in the NFC Playoffs in that time as well. With a 13-3 record in 2016 and 2007. Only to lose heartbreakers at home in the divisional round both times. To Aaron Rodgers today and Eli Manning back then.

The Cowboys couldn't even get it done with "Stacked teams".
I kind of wanted them to play Tony Romo today. An experienced vet.
I just didn't think Dak Prescott was going to out-will Aaron Rodgers.
There's a reason why a rookie QB has never won a Super Bowl before.

And sure enough, Aaron Rodgers was MONEY on that final first-down throw.
The one that set up the game-winning field goal with 3 seconds left in regulation.
I'm not sure there's three other quarterbacks in the league that can complete that side line throw.

The sad thing is we've never had an elite quarterback before.
But yet we've won 3 playoff games since 2002 (our expansion year).
The Dallas Cowboys have 3 playoff wins since 1996, in fact.
We've done better than them in terms of playoff wins like I said.
And they've had stacked teams a couple of times during that time (2016 and 2007).

Bulls on Parade

On the plus side, J.J. Watt will be back for 2017.
We may have a special defensive unit. Our front seven will be dominating!
Think 2000 Baltimore Ravens and 1986 Chicago Bears.
The 2017 Houston Texans defense has a chance to be on that elite level.

Hell, we held a solid Pats offense to 10 points in the first half last night.
We trailed 17-13 at halftime because that 98-yard kickoff return.

I think they had like 9 rushes for 19 pathetic rushing yards at the half as well.
Down 24-16 early in the 4th quarter our defense just ran out of gas.
They played one hell of a game up until that point.
Our offense did jack **** and our defense ran out of morale and energy.

And all of that was without 3-time defensive player of the year, J.J. Watt.

We'll still need to find decent quarterback play if we want to win a Super Bowl though.
But overall, I like what we have going into next season. We just have to hope J.J. Watt is back to All Pro form.

Bulls on Parade

The Browns try multiple times to draft a QB and can't. The Texans can't because they DON'T try multiple times to draft a QB.
Very true. Like one of you said a while ago, I think it was Speedy, you have to keep trying until you find your franchise quarterback. I'd rather keep trying to find "our guy" in the draft though. Let's spend a first-round or second-round pick on a quarterback if we have to. Wasn't David Carr the last quarterback we drafted in the first round?

Just sucks the following two drafts we passed on Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers took him one pick after we drafted Dunta Robinson at 10) and Aaron Rodgers (he went 24 to Packers and we took Travis Johnson at 16). Only for us to admit David Carr was a failure and we dealt two second-round picks to Atlanta for Matt Schaub a few years later.

In the Houston Texans case, it was just bad timing...
We had to give David Carr enough time to sink or swim (he sunk).

Ideally, we would have still gone 4-12 in 2002 and 5-11 in 2003 with any quarterback (Tony Banks was fine). Maybe we'd even have won a few more games taking Julius Peppers #1 overall in 2002.

And then we'd have pounced on Big Ben or Aaron Rodgers in the 2004 or 2005 draft class.

The Texans are just a day late and a dollar short. The Browns are just hot garbage, IMO.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
What was the score at Foxborough when we played the Patriots in the divisional round when Matt Schaub was quarterbacking that game with Gary Kubiak as head coach? I don't recall we played any better. This game we were only down 17-13 at halftime. And 24-16 early in the fourth quarter (one score)!

Sigh, I'm just sick and tired of feeling the same way every year. Always wanting and needing consistent play from the quarterback position. If we had just drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round in the 2005 NFL Draft (16th pick overall), instead of defensive tackle bust Travis Johnson, we'd likely have won one or two Super Bowls and be playing in another AFC Championship game next week.

But we felt David Carr was still capable of becoming a big-time QB at that time. Instead the Green Bay Packers, who already had a future Hall of Fame quarterback in Brett Favre, selected A-Rod with the 24th overall pick in round one.

Stupid draft after stupid draft, for the most part... It makes me mad.
We hit it big with Andre Johnson, J.J. Watt, Duane Brown. etc... etc...
To some degree Brian Cushing. We've had some awesome first-round picks.
But never, and I mean NEVER, at the quarterback position. The most important.

Packer fans are lucky because they've had brilliant general managers.
Aaron Rodgers could have been a Houston Texan. We'd be winning 12 years later...

Football is still about drafting the right players. It's not brain surgery.
You either get lucky or you draft more busts. Any team can find a great QB.
Unfortunately, it seems like teams like the Texans and Browns can't.

Drafting a franchise quarterback would solve all of our problems. Then we wouldn't have to gamble so much and trade two second-round picks for Matt Schaub while swapping first-round picks or whatever the heck it was. And pay an unproven Brock Osweiler four years and $72 million. Very rarely does a Peyton Manning become a free agent. And when he was we foolishly showed no interest in signing him when he had interest in coming here where is father once briefly played.

It's hard to be a Houston Texans fan. I'm frustrated right now...
I'd imagine Dallas Cowboys fans are right there with us.
They were bounced in the divisional round just like us with a ton of talent.

I'm very close to just "not spending my money on the Houston Texans" anymore. I'll just focus on the Astros and Rockets. Why should I make Bob McNair a richer man? He's giving me a mediocre product, for the most part, for 15 years now. Three wild-card wins is all we have. Sigh... I'm writing Mr. McNair a letter right now and sending it to him tomorrow. I doubt he'll read it. I don't care.
All I know is you have been pumping up Osweiler for whatever reason. You said watch and see him have a joe flacco type playoff performance and he'd carry this team to victory. I think you were slightly off.