Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Official Brock Osweiler MVP Watch Thread!

Holy crap, you have that stat completely wrong.

NFL Research stated correctly that 4x this year Brock had 40 attempts with less than 200 yards.

Ian Rappoport makes this claim with no link to data: No other player since 1950 has done it twice.

No where does either NFL Research or Ian Rappaport state that it is has only been done twice ever since 1950 outside of Osweiler.

Rappoport states that those QB's who have done it have never done it twice. Yet, the first reply to his tweet (see link below) corrects his statement, saying that since 1950 no other QB since 1950 has done it MORE THAN TWO TIMES IN A SINGLE SEASON and that four QB's in the last six years have done it twice in a season.

It's a bad stat even at four times, but you are being grossly negligent with the facts when you keep saying it's only been done twice since 1950 and Brock did it six times.

Here is the original tweet from NFL Research regarding Brock's 4x:

https://twitter.com/nflresearch/status/820495596704280576

Here is Ian Rappaport stating that since 1950, no other QB has had more than 1x:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/820602106528886784?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I just did an extensive check of his Twitter feed. No rebuttal to the correction of his data-less claim.

As I said earlier in this thread. This stat is getting blown waaaaaaaay out of proportion.

I didn't read the link.

And no, I didn't blow things way out of proportion. Os sucks terribly bad, something you don't get a true appreciation for until you see what truly bad looks like in person.

I didn't read the link.

And no, I didn't blow things way out of proportion. Os sucks terribly bad, something you don't get a true appreciation for until you see what truly bad looks like in person.

You aren't seriously arguing you know better because you were at the games are you? I love going to games but truth is TV is better for analyzing.

You aren't seriously arguing you know better because you were at the games are you? I love going to games but truth is TV is better for analyzing.

I'm not and I agree with you. But there's nothing like seeing in person Brock sail a throw 5 yds over a wide open receivers hands or a deep ball 3 yds out of bounds. It gives you a true feeling for how bad Os stinks. To hear the fans and watch the body language of the rest of the offense, it looks like the team gave up on Os at times last yr.

I didn't read the link.

I'm not saying that he doesn't suck. I am saying that in the regular season, he had one more 40/<200 game than what several QB's have done over the years. That stat alone does not make him suck any more than it made any of the other QB's suck who did it twice in one season.

Not sure what you mean by only being able to have an appreciation for it unless in person. We actually get live NFL games here in the UK. Other than being able to see the cheerleaders, what experience are you getting at the stadium that I'm not seeing on TV? Cameras don't add 10 QBR points.

Steelb does have a point though, a lot of times the TV camera doesn't get the ball in the frame.

The best point he had was observing the bench. You do get to see little vignettes between the players and coaches. I attended the 1st 130 Texans games. Now maybe I was too close on the front row field level (Texans side) but it would be a rare exception for the TV not to give an overall better view of play, actually multiple views.

The best point he had was observing the bench. You do get to see little vignettes between the players and coaches. I attended the 1st 130 Texans games. Now maybe I was too close on the front row field level (Texans side) but it would be a rare exception for the TV not to give an overall better view of play, actually multiple views.

I'm in the nosebleeds.

I appreciated going to the games back in the day (I got my tickets in 2006) because I could see a lot more from the stands (on the 50 yard line, Texans side). The TV follows the ball. The TV will show replays & different angles on a lot of plays, but they usually follow the ball.

However, since they been posting the all 22 film & it's free to all season ticket holders, it's hard to beat the TV.

Still, for me I see more of what I want when I'm at the game vs the TV broadcast.

But I don't think that was the point steelbtexans was trying to make.

Pat on Mcnair's honest comments about Oz yesterday:

"Was told by someone I trust that is the first time since covering the Texans that he has been that honest about a player."
https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/827189812520185857
We need Brock to come into camp motivated and hungry.
This is certainly the time to be brutally honest about him.
If he has another tough year he'll be released after the 2017 season.
He has a cap friendly $6 million dead money cap hit that we can utilize.
That was a brilliant "safety net" that Rick Smith put together I must say.

We need Brock to come into camp motivated and hungry.
This is certainly the time to be brutally honest about him.
If he has another tough year he'll be released after the 2017 season.
He has a cap friendly $6 million dead money cap hit that we can utilize.
That was a brilliant "safety net" that Rick Smith put together I must say.

Never ever Use the words Rick Smith and brilliant in the same sentence.

He's the reason for the QB crap that's on the roster as we speak.

Never ever Use the words Rick Smith and brilliant in the same sentence.

He's the reason for the QB crap that's on the roster as we speak.
I bet he clubs baby seals and drowns polar bears too. Maybe even eats omelets from bald eagle eggs. Smith is also the reason that the Texans have a pretty dang talented team in need of a franchise player at the most important, not to mention hardest to find, position on the field.

As far as we KNOW, the crap at QB could all be on OB telling Smith that he didn't value X qb at Y draft spot and not to do it.

I bet he clubs baby seals and drowns polar bears too. Maybe even eats omelets from bald eagle eggs. Smith is also the reason that the Texans have a pretty dang talented team in need of a franchise player at the most important, not to mention hardest to find, position on the field.

As far as we KNOW, the crap at QB could all be on OB telling Smith that he didn't value X qb at Y draft spot and not to do it.

I knew this was coming. LOL

Speaking of brilliance, I've been around truly brilliant people, I'm sure you've been around them too. Ricky McNair falls far short of that bar if you're being honest.

If that's the case then the GM isn't doing his job. He's the one who runs the scouting department and decides whose valued at what spot. Or at least he's supposed to.

I knew this was coming. LOL

Speaking of brilliance, I've been around truly brilliant people, I'm sure you've been around them too. Ricky McNair falls far short of that bar if you're being honest.
I don't think he's all that bad in the personnel side of things, but I also think that a smart GM is going to listen to what his supposedly QB guru of a HC has to say about the QB position and act accordingly. Why would a reasonable GM shove a player down the throat of a HC who doesn't think highly of that player or thinks (rightly or wrongly) that the player would be there in a later round? My only real problem with Smith is in the 2-4 rounds of the draft. He misses more than most good GM's do in those depth building rounds.

Every single factual account I have heard about their relationship is that it is a one of more or less mutual agreement on who gets added in the draft or FA. RS, OB and BM have all stated that as fact.

I don't think he's all that bad in the personnel side of things, but I also think that a smart GM is going to listen to what his supposedly QB guru of a HC has to say about the QB position and act accordingly. Why would a reasonable GM shove a player down the throat of a HC who doesn't think highly of that player or thinks (rightly or wrongly) that the player would be there in a later round? My only real problem with Smith is in the 2-4 rounds of the draft. He misses more than most good GM's do in those depth building rounds.

Every single factual account I have heard about their relationship is that it is a one of more or less mutual agreement on who gets added in the draft or FA. RS, OB and BM have all stated that as fact.

I know you believe this.

Rumor has it BOB wants to trade for Jimmy G this offseason. It's not gonna happen. This is another example of the FO not working together. Bob/Cal/Ricky are going to run the same QB's out there next yr and if BOB fails which he will everything will get blamed on him. He charge next yr is to make chicken salad out of the chicken sh!t he's been provided at the QB position. Hopefully this will be a moot point and Savage will stay healthy and light it up next season. That's the only way BOB's job will be saved.

BOB is trying to change the way the Texans do business on the personnel side of the business and is getting blowback from Ricky.

I know you believe this.

Rumor has it BOB wants to trade for Jimmy G this offseason. It's not gonna happen. This is another example of the FO not working together. Bob/Cal/Ricky are going to run the same QB's out there next yr and if BOB fails which he will everything will get blamed on him. He charge next yr is to make chicken salad out of the chicken sh!t he's been provided at the QB position. Hopefully this will be a moot point and Savage will stay healthy and light it up next season. That's the only way BOB's job will be saved.

BOB is trying to change the way the Texans do business on the personnel side of the business and is getting blowback from Ricky.

Source?

Chris Harris interview on 610...

Host: you want Brock back?

CH: No I don't, y'all can have him. But y'all were real excited this time last year.

Hosts: yeah...you were listening? Well he was ok with y'all--he helped y'all out I guess...

CH: No. We helped him out.

I don't agree with this, but I'm curious as to why you think his accuracy and decision making improve when the offense doesn't follow patterns?

Also, is there an example of this happening?
The offense ran a whole lot better when Os could spread things out more and he had a faster pace to the offense.

I don't feel like YouTube and/or Googling am but if there are examples out there I will find them.

To me the offense was not much better when Os was not playing than when he was.

Overall Os sucked there is no doubt but to me it is a matter of how much each of us think he sucked. I saw signs of him doing much better than others are willing to recognize.

All I am saying is I am open for an open quarterback battle and we will see how it all shakes out. Os and O'b might do better together in season two. They now have plenty of time together.

I didn't care much for how O'b ran the offense with GG last season.

The offense is now all on O'b and we can't scapegoat all our quarterbacks if there is little improvment.

Has anyone ever thought that those 5 YPA have as much to do with O'b as they do with our quarterbacks.

Some brilliant deductions indeed......

GM Rick Smith says Texans need better play out of quarterbacks
5:26 PM CT

HOUSTON -- When the Texans gave quarterback Brock Osweiler a four-year, $72 million contract last offseason, they were hoping for a franchise quarterback.

Instead, Osweiler threw more interceptions (16) than touchdowns (15) during the regular season and was benched in Week 15 for backup quarterback Tom Savage. Osweiler gained the starting job back two weeks later after Savage left the Week 17 game with a concussion. Osweiler was named the starter for the playoffs less than a week later.

In 15 regular-season games, Osweiler completed 59 percent of his passes for 2,957 yards with 15 touchdowns and 16 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 72.2.

Texans owner Bob McNair says the Texans' intention is to sign star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to a contract extension this offseason.

"We've got to get better production from the quarterback position," Texans GM Rick Smith said at an NFL event on Thursday. "We've got to get better production from all across our football team. And we've got to do a good job of analyzing our football team, and that's what we're doing now.

"We're spending the time evaluating our football team and trying to figure out where we're strong, where we're weak and how we can go about improving."

Texans owner Bob McNair said Wednesday that Osweiler needs to "step up."

"I would hope [he can turn it around], but the challenge is up to him to meet it," McNair said. "He needs to step up. I would certainly think that's what he would do."

Smith said the team plans to be "aggressive" and "diligent" with improving this offseason across the board but that he still has confidence that Osweiler can be Houston's starting quarterback.

"Obviously I have that confidence in him," Smith said. "And I think he's got to have that confidence in him and he's got to go back to work. And we've all got to go back to work."

Smith declined to share whether the Texans were thinking of selecting a quarterback in April's draft.

captain-obvious3.jpg

Holy crap, you have that stat completely wrong.

NFL Research stated correctly that 4x this year Brock had 40 attempts with less than 200 yards.

Ian Rappoport makes this claim with no link to data: No other player since 1950 has done it twice.

No where does either NFL Research or Ian Rappaport state that it is has only been done twice ever since 1950 outside of Osweiler.

Rappoport states that those QB's who have done it have never done it twice. Yet, the first reply to his tweet (see link below) corrects his statement, saying that since 1950 no other QB since 1950 has done it MORE THAN TWO TIMES IN A SINGLE SEASON and that four QB's in the last six years have done it twice in a season.

It's a bad stat even at four times, but you are being grossly negligent with the facts when you keep saying it's only been done twice since 1950 and Brock did it six times.

Here is the original tweet from NFL Research regarding Brock's 4x:

https://twitter.com/nflresearch/status/820495596704280576

Here is Ian Rappaport stating that since 1950, no other QB has had more than 1x:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/820602106528886784?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I just did an extensive check of his Twitter feed. No rebuttal to the correction of his data-less claim.

As I said earlier in this thread. This stat is getting blown waaaaaaaay out of proportion.
I'd like this many times if I could. Unsubstantiated stats/claims are as bad as rumors and speculation.
This is why I distrust rumor-mongers like Rappaport.
And the fact that he never responded to the correction by either showing where he got that stat from or just "admitting my bad, that stat was in error, here's what I meant..." tells me he isn't to be trusted.

Pretty sure that was a request for a link.
Pretty sure there won't be one.
Well... there kinda is one.
LINK
This is a link of a Sports790 radio spot where Jayson Braddock said HE would trade J.J. Watt for Garoppolo because he (Braddock) thinks Garoppolo can be a franchise QB. There's nothing in the broadcast where Braddock indicated that O'Brien said he (O'Brien) wants to trade for Garoppolo this off-season.

Braddock did go back to O'Brien's days in N.E. where O'Brien said good things about Garoppolo back then.

But that is way different than saying O'Brien is on record as wanting to trade for Garoppolo this off-season.

A google search for = houston texans jimmy garoppolo trade rumors - yields a half dozen results.

Is there anything of substance? Not much but we need a qb and jimmy g is a qb. Hence the term.........rumors.

Trading JJ Watt; a first ballot HOF; for Jimmy f'ing Garropolo isn't only laughable, but could go down as one of the worst trades ever. NE would have to sweeten that pot considerably to be taken seriously.

Yea I know "his back" most of you this time next year will say 'thank God we didn't trade him'

We can upgrade the position without being fleeced and made to look like imbeciles in the process.

Shout out to 76 for being right way back in August. 112 pages and going strong my man. Epic.

Someone please change the title to official-brock-osweiler-LVP-watch-
Naaah. Leave it as a warning not to start any more damned "MVP" threads

I think Os could be the most impactfull player of the league in 2016

think about it, if you change Os with any average QB we might as well had won that playoff game in NE. and that would have completely changed the outcome of the season.

I thought the Pats trailed 28-9 in the SB?

Doesn't matter. Looking at the rest of those numbers, you know it can't mean what it looks like it's trying to say.

But... I gotta give Kudos to the PR Machine. They're working hard trying to get us warmed up to the idea of bringing Osweiler back as our starter.

Back