Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Offensive Coordinator

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This offense is the worst in Texans history. The run game might be the worst i’ve ever seen for an NFL team. Definitely a disappointment.

I read mock drafts from posters going hard on OL early but the Texans have invested heavily in draft capital on OL with little to show for it. Just recently Howard/Scharping were 1/2 picks and little to show for it aside from Howard being solid in pass protection at OT only.

Unless the coaching changes and someone brings a proven scheme like Kubiak/Gibbs did with the ZBS I don’t think it matters how many stud OL the team drafts early. They could get Linderbaum and Neal this year and the bastardized TK/OB scheme would find a way to make them look bad.
Howard and especially Scharping are busts. Time to except the sunk cost and move on. Kelly will be gone after this season. The question is, will Culley be following him out of the doors down on Kirby?

Number19

Hall of Fame
Howard and especially Scharping are busts. Time to except the sunk cost and move on. Kelly will be gone after this season. The question is, will Culley be following him out of the doors down on Kirby?
Howard and Scharping are under their rookie contracts; Scharping for one more year and Howard for two. Unless they can be traded; for at a minimum, threes; they should be kept on the team as backups if not as starters.

The question to be asked by the coaches is, why did these high draft picks fail? Is it scheme fit; or physical; or mental? Whatever is the answer, Caserio needs to take it into account in the evaluation process going into the 2022 draft.

And I'm in agreement we need to go with the power blocker type of interior lineman. And we need to draft for position fit and keep the player at that position. None of this flexibility.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Howard and Scharping are under their rookie contracts; Scharping for one more year and Howard for two. Unless they can be traded; for at a minimum, threes; they should be kept on the team as backups if not as starters.

The question to be asked by the coaches is, why did these high draft picks fail? Is it scheme fit; or physical; or mental? Whatever is the answer, Caserio needs to take it into account in the evaluation process going into the 2022 draft.

And I'm in agreement we need to go with the power blocker type of interior lineman. And we need to draft for position fit and keep the player at that position. None of this flexibility.
When a guy fails under Devlin, that's one thing. When a guy fails under a highly respected guy like Campen and Devlin, then that's a totally different thing.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Linderbaum is my pick for an OL if Texans trade down or acquire picks with WD40 in the 6-10 range. He’ll be drafted to play center and be your center for the foreseeable future as long as he’s healthy. No spot starts at guard or check him out to see how he does at swing tackle just for grins. He’s the center that’s it! While the OB/TK offense can still screw him up its a little bit harder if he gets to stay at one position.

Unlike Howard, Scharping, Sua-Filo and pretty much everyone else that has played OL for Texans since 2014.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The question to be asked by the coaches is, why did these high draft picks fail?
I think the simplest answer is that both players needed a lot of development and never received it with the Texans. Both were from smaller schools that didn't play a high level of competition. Both needed coaching on technique and schematics. The best thing to do for both was let them sit for a year and concentrate on one position. But, O'Brien stressed versatility and pushed them on the field too soon. A textbook example of how not to handle talented college projects.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think the simplest answer is that both players needed a lot of development and never received it with the Texans. Both were from smaller schools that didn't play a high level of competition. Both needed coaching on technique and schematics. The best thing to do for both was let them sit for a year and concentrate on one position. But, O'Brien stressed versatility and pushed them on the field too soon. A textbook example of how not to handle talented college projects.
Or they just plain sucked and were way over drafted. Like many on here said when Howard was picked.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Howard has played RT, LG and LT. For a young player from a small school, that's a bit too much. The Texans screwed this kid over by not allowing him to develop at his national position.

Scharping looked to have potential in his rookie year. But dude never bounced back from that injury. And he's also playing out of position.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Good may be a bit of an exaggeration.
I thought he looked good at RT, thinking they moved him inside because Nick brought his boy Cannon in.

Two games at LT, I didn't think he was exceptional, called him out on his first snap, but PFF graded him well.

I admit I haven't been happy with him at Guard, not in the slightest.

Ok, here's the truth. My last name is Howard. We're not related, but I bought blue, red, & white jerseys for my wife & I & a black one for me, so he needs to stay on the team for a while

Texansballer74

The Marine
I thought he looked good at RT, thinking they moved him inside because Nick brought his boy Cannon in.

Two games at LT, I didn't think he was exceptional, called him out on his first snap, but PFF graded him well.

I admit I haven't been happy with him at Guard, not in the slightest.

Ok, here's the truth. My last name is Howard. We're not related, but I bought blue, red, & white jerseys for my wife & I & a black one for me, so he needs to stay on the team for a while
He was looking decent when Tunsil was out there.
At LT he's actually played good in the last two games.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I can't remember the order of events. Did Howard have an opportunity to start at LT before the Tunsil trade? Did they signed Matt kalil, move Howard to RT and when they realized Kalil was not the answer, traded for Tunsil?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I can't remember the order of events. Did Howard have an opportunity to start at LT before the Tunsil trade? Did they signed Matt kalil, move Howard to RT and when they realized Kalil was not the answer, traded for Tunsil?
I believe they started Howard out at LG and moved him to RT.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think Kalil was coming off injury when they signed him. He rehabbed through training camp & beginning of preseason.

They started Howard at Guard, Scharping at RT & a placeholder at LT, probably Davenport.

When Kalil got healthy they made the Tunsil trade, moved Howard to RT & Scharping to RG.

Or something like that.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Good answer. I agree. I've always wanted draft picks who has played against top level competition.
I think you can draft a smaller college guy with talent. Just don't push too much on him. Especially at positions where you really need to know the playbook, like QB and O-line. The guy we really liked last year, Quinn Meinerz out of Wisconsin Whitewater, was inserted into the starting lineup at RG for the Broncos in week 10. He's looked really good, thus far.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I wonder if his performances at LT will be enough for them to reevaluate him at LT and open the door to at least consider trading Tunsil?
One would hope so .... we don't have the luxury of keeping either as a backup, and it seems they are both left-tackle only. With the Watson trade and subsequent draft picks in limbo, I'd surely like to have a 1st and any additional picks in our hand and not in some bush .... and yes .... I know .... I'll have one of those too !

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He was looking decent when Tunsil was out there.
At LT he's actually played good in the last two games.
It's not easy to look bad when there were few passing plays (and quick ones at that, or roll-outs); and when the QBs take off and run on time or in the opposite direction.

In another word, the linemen didn't have enough opportunities to look bad. :brando:

Number19

Hall of Fame
It seems they have made up their minds that Heck is the future at RT.
That's not how I interpret it. Their intent is to play their 5 best lineman, lined up so as to be most productive. Heck is the RT for this season, certainly, but when Tunsil comes back, where does that leave Howard? Back at guard? I'm anticipating Howard moves back to RT next year, competing with Heck as the starter. The lower is the swing backup.

Of course it all depends on the draft.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I think Culley will be here till middle of next year (if we don't start winning). They will say no Watson, Taylor injury and things like that. Giving them a reason to keep him for a bit

KarlK

Waterboy
lol.....you all LOVED Tim Kelly a few years ago. I remember hearing all about how he was in charge of all aspects of the game plan, that week only, when Watson had his big game against the lowly Falcons in 2019. Kelly could've produced that every week had O'Brien not been holding him back, I was told.

My how the narrative has changed 2 years later. Now he's the root of all problems. It's not the garbage personnel or the man who put together the roster for 2021.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
lol.....you all LOVED Tim Kelly a few years ago. I remember hearing all about how he was in charge of all aspects of the game plan, that week only, when Watson had his big game against the lowly Falcons in 2019. Kelly could've produced that every week had O'Brien not been holding him back, I was told.

My how the narrative has changed 2 years later. Now he's the root of all problems. It's not the garbage personnel or the man who put together the roster for 2021.
I think more people were excited to have a offensive coordinator more than anything. So OB could do more HC duties than OC duties.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man

It's all about the moment. A few years ago was a different moment. Today's moment is a pile of horseshit. A few years ago the horseshit pile wasn't quite as high. Next year it'll reach the moon and even NASA will get pissed at that.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

I for 1 never liked Kelly. I only said it can't be worse than OB.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

You're going to have to find something else to troll about... you're not gonna get anyone worked up over that subject