Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

OB changing offense. Dramatically!

Won't matter .. Deshauns best attribute is freestyling .. Buttchin can call what he wants (why he is switching what seemed to work is wierd after 6 games) but Deshaun will make it work .. his way.
Watson has no impact or influence on blocking schemes or, for that matter, the type of OL'man to plug into the offense. He also has no impact on the Oline, working as a unit, to provide him with the protection to get the maximum from him.

Thinking about it just now, changes in the offensive line may be the most impactful for a new offense. Second may be the route tree for the receivers. The receivers and running backs should adapt easily. It's the Oline which will have the steeper adaption curve.

Watson has no impact or influence on blocking schemes or, for that matter, the type of OL'man to plug into the offense. He also has no impact on the Oline, working as a unit, to provide him with the protection to get the maximum from him.

Thinking about it just now, changes in the offensive line may be the most impactful for a new offense. Second may be the route tree for the receivers. The receivers and running backs should adapt easily. It's the Oline which will have the steeper adaption curve.
The o-line blocked dramatically different for Watson than Savage last year. Much more horizontal movement with Watson.

The discussion about offensive changes seem to center around keeping Watson safe which I believe means less misdirection out of the RPO looks we used a lot with Watson. This translates to less horizontal movement/rolling pockets/misdirection and means our o-line will have to be able to hold their own in a 1 on 1 block.

Hopefully BOB doesn't throw away his playbook in case our OL isn't much upgraded because we may need to come back to it.

Watson absolutely influences blocking schemes with his mobility and ability for the offense to call QB designed runs or RPOs effectively allowing for an extra blocker to be allowed on the field. Watson being the extra OL not in the traditional sense but in defenses having to account for him and hesitate to “read” whether he’s running or passing.

Color me skeptical til proven otherwise. Unless that plan includes Lamar Jackson?

Lamar is my second rated QB behind only Rosen imo. This is merely that outside the box thinking that could really create change, not just Texans but NFL in general.

The real change I see coming is copycating Eagles Defensive approach and add a bunch of pass rushers and generally hit the QB much as possible.

So to continue our Lamar Jackson conversation...tidbiits

Wonderlic 13 (this is normal human low fwiw)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...sh-allen-rosen-2018/ybb46fv3x1ex1r4hj3l4j9gtb

Pro day (did not run 40 or do anything that was not related to playing QB)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...ers-2018-nfl-draft/1lrgc5g6uxeud1qdxwd6jur04m

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ft-five-takeaways-from-lamar-jacksons-pro-day

Hopefully he makes it to 68 and we get the best back up QB in the NFL. Would be beautiful.

In all seriousness, him and his mother can botch this process all they want, he's an immense talent and his name will be called on Day 1 of the draft.

Would be shocked if he was there at the top of the 2nd.

After four seasons, I have yet to comprehend what system O'Brien is running and the ONLY time his offense has impressed me is when Watson was freestyling and often going off-playbook to make things happen.

I'm not saying O'Brien had nothing to do with Watson's success, but it was more due to the pressure of week-to-week game planning versus specific opponents than it was implementation of any type of coherent system.

Time will obviously tell, but history (and game film) has revealed that O'Brien's system with QBs not named Watson was mediocre, at best.

I'm more concerned with 'cak's assessment about trying to force Watson into a mold that O'Brien has in his head, especially given an entire off-season to overthink it.

Prove my doubts wrong, Billy boy, just prove me wrong is all I can hope for.

Realistically Deshaun is almost like another lineman into himself the way he occupies a linebacker with the threat of run and a safety with the bomb. I agree that the routes are very simplistic, but again it usually degrades into 'go deep for the bomb' ... I'm going to assume the wrinkles will come in the way of tight end integration since that is sorely lacking. Not sold the offense is really going to be THAT different.

I have mixed feelings on the topic.

Prior to Watson nothing we ever did was inspiring. I've seen offseason comments before from Ob about changing the offense and never saw it amount to much. He really appears to out think himself. He reminds me of a supervisor I know who'd write a 42 step "how to" on flipping a light switch. Is this much ado about nothing? New wrinkles are added every offseason so how groundbreaking is this? Is he ruining the brief bit of success we had?

On the other hand, they're not burning the old playbook. They CAN go back to it if what they'e adding doesn't work. Kapernick had success running a college style offense. Defenses adjusted then just like they will for us. We should add more keepers, misdirection, rolling pockets, rpo's, etc to take advantage of Watson's talent. Right?

We're all assuming this is based on something schematic a fan can see because of Watson's mobility. Maybe it is. Or maybe It's about something we can't see like nomenclature, hot reads, blitz pick ups, etc.

I guess we'll see, or just as likely we won't.

I just want to know if this means he's going to have to install a whole new offense every year since every year the entire league will see what we did with Deshaun Watson the year before....

Short of next year with a playoff win I think he's done. Then the circus starts over.

Hopefully he makes it to 68 and we get the best back up QB in the NFL. Would be beautiful.

In all seriousness, him and his mother can botch this process all they want, he's an immense talent and his name will be called on Day 1 of the draft.

Would be shocked if he was there at the top of the 2nd.
What drafting our backup QB is now more important than drafting a starting LT ?

What drafting our backup QB is now more important than drafting a starting LT ?

Is a better tackle or other position player available there? Ordinarily I'm down for filling needs but if a talent like that is there in the 3rd you have to consider it.

Absent a melt down worse than last year OB isn't going anywhere. He just got a contract extension.

Prior to smith leaving, a lot of people thought Ob might go this year. Injuries and the Watson miracle are the only reason he's still here.

Maybe your leash is longer then mine?

Prior to smith leaving, a lot of people thought Ob might go this year. Injuries and the Watson miracle are the only reason he's still here.

Maybe your leash is longer then mine?

It's not about my leash or yours, it's McNair's. He could have let OB ride this year out as a prove it year. Instead he extended him. Generally HC contracts (other than Gruden) are fully guaranteed. He's not going to just eat the full extension barring a complete meltdown.

It's not about my leash or yours, it's McNair's. He could have let OB ride this year out as a prove it year. Instead he extended him. Generally HC contracts (other than Gruden) are fully guaranteed. He's not going to just eat the full extension Barring a complete meltdown.

It's not a player. It doesn't count against the cap. An extension for a coach means nothing.

So keeping him sounds reasonable after a 5-11 season?

Owners ditch coach contracts all the time.

Not just extended contracts they don't. HCs are almost always fired with 1 or 2 years remaining.

5-11 would count as another meltdown. 9-7 and miss the playoffs and OB is totally safe. I don't think the issue even crosses McNair's mind unless they win less than 7 games.

Not just extended contracts they don't. HCs are almost always fired with 1 or 2 years remaining.

5-11 would count as another meltdown. 9-7 and miss the playoffs and OB is totally safe. I don't think the issue even crosses McNair's mind unless they win less than 7 games.

History says they would have to go 2-14 or worse

9-7 is hit or miss. Worse then that is trouble.

I understand as I assume you do, a legitimate replacement would be necessary.

O'Brien didn't really change his playbook, he just made a modification. All the directional lines behind the QB were removed and replaced with scribbley lines from OT to OT. Route lines for receivers were kept to some degree...roughly 10 yards then scribbley lines with a box note: Follow Watson.

So then his plan was to start Savage all season, even when seeing them both in training camp
See you have to remember Rick Smith was here and I’m not so sure that he didn’t dictate that savage would start. If Savage started it would’ve made the demise of O’Brien. Smith would’ve written it out and then what would happen is O’Brien would’ve been fired and a new coach would’ve been hired. Instead Watson had come in said he liked O’Brien system amd in effect saved his job. and now Rick Smith is out of a job. I am going to judge O’Brien exclusively on what happens moving forward because Rick Smith was such a cancer.

Dallas had the best line in the business and couldn't keep their mobile QB clean.

Every QB that' logging minutes will get dirty.

Matt Hammond

✔@MattHammondShow

For four years, Texans Twitter lit up Bill O’Brien for being too beholden to “his system.” Now that he’s willing to bail on it, and build schemes around his personnel, and their needs, and that’s... not good enough either.

11:00 PM - Mar 28, 2018
Because for four years They absolutely sucked on Offense. Then his stubborn ass was forced to make adjustments and changes To the offense and it worked on an elite level. Now he wants to change from that Most likely back to where he was before.

It would be different if he was going to add to what was successful but no he wants to completely change it. So yeah that’s not good! I’ll tell you this, if our offense comes out and takes a step backwards ill be the first to call for his job. If it comes out and continues to have succes then I’ll give him his due.

Coach Brine "run Miller up the middle" is still in charge. Just saying.....
This is true.

However, I feel like two of the linemen we picked up might indicate that the offensive overhaul will have a healthy dose of outside zone. May just be me wishing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This is true.

However, I feel like two of the linemen we picked up might indicate that the offensive overhaul will have a healthy dose of outside zone. May just be me wishing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
More play action/bootlegs, perhaps?

Back