Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

O’Brien’s core players

banned1976

sleeper mode
Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
This comes from the conference call Baltimore reporters did with Bill O'Brien so I don't have video of it but based on my mentions last week y'all are not going to like who is in this core group outside of the obvious three. https://t.co/2Th5sQfyzC

The obvious 3 are Cunningham, Tunsil, and Watson. So far, I agree. Where he lost me was at Nick Martin and Mercilus. If I HAD to add two more they would be Justin Reid and very reluctantly Will Fuller.

Who would be your big 5?

I’m hoping Tytus Howard jumps into the discussion sometime this season. It would be fortuitous if the one lone first round pick in three consecutive seasons turns out to be a stud OT.

Man, the Texans sure have given up a lot of premium picks since 2018 going into 2021. Just like 2021, they didn’t have a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2018.

O'Brien is to Belichick what a kit car is to a Ferrari.

You see it in the difference of their schemes, coaching decisions, talent evaluation, and overall leadership.

I like Mercilus as person, but the fact that he's considered a "top 5" talent on this team by anyone speaks volumes. There is no depth on this roster. I doubt Mercilus would even make the cut on the Patriots roster at this point. And the Patriots are obviously the team that the McNairs want to copycat with O'Brien and Easterby running their franchise.

But, like a kit car, it only looks similar from a distance if you cross your eyes and blur them while you're drunk.

Not sure this team has 5 core players. Just being honest. I hope we get more from Cunningham, Howard, and Blacklock. I guess Fuller has shown flashes of being that guy, when not injured. Go back to 2011 and I count 10 core players. I got a little depressed thinking about this.

I was just thinking the same thing ....

Aside from Watson and Tunsil - both of whom are something above average (how much is debatable) - the rest of this team is a buncha JAG's and has beens.

Not sure this team has 5 core players. Just being honest. I hope we get more from Cunningham, Howard, and Blacklock. I guess Fuller has shown flashes of being that guy, when not injured. Go back to 2011 and I count 10 core players. I got a little depressed thinking about this.
I was getting depressed too. That’s why I created this thread- I was hoping someone could see what I was incapable of seeing. Instead, my sadness over this team has only deepened.

2011: Foster, Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, Chris Myers, Eric Winston...that’s 5 on the offense alone and I left out the Quarterback. On defense: JJ, Cushing, Antonio Smith, DeMeco, J. Joseph...I left out Connor Barwin, Kareem, Glover Quin, and Danieal Manning.

That is depressing.

I was getting depressed too. That’s why I created this thread- I was hoping someone could see what I was incapable of seeing. Instead, my sadness over this team has only deepened.

2011: Foster, Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, Chris Myers, Eric Winston...that’s 5 on the offense alone and I left out the Quarterback. On defense: JJ, Cushing, Antonio Smith, DeMeco, J. Joseph...I left out Connor Barwin, Kareem, Glover Quin, and Danieal Manning.

That is depressing.
Wow.
And don't forget Rakers. That dude was looking to knock someone out on kick return!

Last edited:
I did forget him, maybe because he was injured in 2011. Don't know exactly how he slipped my mind, as he was really the main core guy all those years. Then Bill "The WR Axeman" O'Brien came to town...

I've always wondered how many AJ TD's were missed due to stopping or slowing down to catch Schaub's weak arse throws. I still vividly remember one of his first TD catches from Keenum where he literally couldn't break stride or it would be an overthrow. AJ maintained full stride and the ball just landed right in his hands and straight to the endzone. I really would've liked to ask AJ how that TD felt......I'm sure after he was done wiping away the tears we would've got an answer.

I've always wondered how many AJ TD's were missed due to stopping or slowing down to catch Schaub's weak arse throws. I still vividly remember one of his first TD catches from Keenum where he literally couldn't break stride or it would be an overthrow. AJ maintained full stride and the ball just landed right in his hands and straight to the endzone. I really would've liked to ask AJ how that TD felt......I'm sure after he was done wiping away the tears we would've got an answer.

It's the offensive system IMO. Julio Jones in a similar system has somewhat low TD numbers too

It's the offensive system IMO. Julio Jones in a similar system has somewhat low TD numbers too

I always wondered if Schaub held the ball too long and then launched his pass which always seemed to come up 3-5 yards short. AJ usually had solid separation and if a ball had been delivered in stride.....he's on his way to a "total DB burn" TD. Maybe Schaub didn't have the arm strength or lacked the anticipation AJ created. Whatever the case....far, far too many times did AJ have to stop or slow down in order to catch a Schaub pass. AJ's yards and TD's should've been off the chart.

That is depressing.

Yeah, but "Bill O'Brien is a way better GM than Rick Smith". . . :lightbulb: or as my mind reads it: yEaH, bUt BiLl O'bRiEn Is A wAy BeTtEr Gm ThAn RiCk SmItH

I'm not even advocating for Rick Smith. He was just an average GM. However, in comparison, the results are what they are. Heck, in hindsight, we will probably realize that even Charlie Casserly was a better GM than Billy O.

I don't want Kubiak back, but I do miss how there was always a surprise deep shot in the first series of downs in a game. AJ had a touchdown on the first play of a game.

I don't want Kubiak back, but I do miss how there was always a surprise deep shot in the first series of downs in a game. AJ had a touchdown on the first play of a game.

I remember two specific games, can't remember when, but I think it was vs the Jags and vs the Seahawks (before Pete Carroll). 1st play touch down to AJ. Good times.

I wouldn't want Kubiak back, but I would love to have an OC from his coaching tree.

I did forget him, maybe because he was injured in 2011. Don't know exactly how he slipped my mind, as he was really the main core guy all those years. Then Bill "The WR Axeman" O'Brien came to town...

Yep, the Axeman told AJ the truth, it turned out the Axeman was correct when in Indy AJ caught the exact number of balls that BOB told him he would be catching in Houston.

Yep, the Axeman told AJ the truth, it turned out the Axeman was correct when in Indy AJ caught the exact number of balls that BOB told him he would be catching in Houston.
Circumstantial.
And AJ caught one more ball than what OB promised him.
AJ was injured and missed nearly 2 games.
Also, Luck was injured and played in fewer than 7 games, none at full health.

Circumstantial.
And AJ caught one more ball than what OB promised him.
AJ was injured and missed nearly 2 games.
Also, Luck was injured and played in fewer than 7 games, none at full health.

SMDH, the Truth hurts.

No, it's just poignant.

Especially when you like to use 2-14 as excuses, but conveniently leaving out 4 butt whipping divisional games.

Now, that's what I call HURTING, all that whipping. :corrosion:

Cant get over those 2-14 yrs can you. (The most poignant numbers of them all.

After all of the numbers you put out this is the you number that matters the most and it's the number that after all of the numbers you slant that you cant explain away.

Back