Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NY Texan coming in for Home Opener, need tips please!!

NYTEXAN13

Practice Squad
Good Morning,
I will be coming in to Houston for the 1st time. I can use some tips on where to stay, good bars, steak house, & of course which lot to tailgate in? Anything you can provide would be much appreciated.

Good Morning,
I will be coming in to Houston for the 1st time. I can use some tips on where to stay, good bars, steak house, & of course which lot to tailgate in? Anything you can provide would be much appreciated.

Age? Budget? Is this a buddy or family trip or girlfriend trip? How long u staying? Are you museum guy or boob bar guy? Are you renting a car or public transportation?

Probably should have put that in. late 30's - early 40's. Guy trip, we see a different stadium every year. No museums, we are renting a car so we can tailgate. Also I hear its hot in September there, is there a part of stadium where I wont be sweating my beer out as I drink it?

Yea, very hot in September. But its a noon game, tailgating starts at 8 Am, head into game 11 ish and roof of stadium will be closed so heat shouldnt be a huge issue.

Houston is very spread out, and galleria area is prime for stay or even downtown (could take light rail to stadium from downtown on gameday). Walk around Blue lot for tailgating, lots will invite you in. Or do your own thing. Buy a Blue Lot parking pass if u decide to drive to game.

Houston is steakhouse city. Dowtown - Vic & Anthonys. Galleria - Pappas (best in city imo), Del Frescos, Chama Gaucha (awesome new Brazilian Steakhouse), etc.

Hotels Downtown - Hilton Americas, Lancaster, Four seasons, Hotel Icon

Hotels Galleria - The Houstonian, Omni, JW Marriot, Westin Oaks, Westin Galleria, Granduca, etc.

Depending on which area you stay will determine nightlife. Use yelp.com (or app) and map tool to search best bars,etc in that area.

Houston is a TOP NOTCH restaurant city with a huge international flavor so plan your meals well and take advantage. Yelp and Houston Press are great research tools.

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/restaurants/15-iconic-houston-meals/

Happy researching.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I think the Hyatt downtown looks good for the money. Just picked up a Blue Lot pass also. Look forward to coming, so thanks again!! Go Texans

Love golf, good course?? Yea definitely need something to do that day (Saturday)? What bars are good to watch college games?

Red stone, black horse, meadowbrook, tour 18, but those are out in the burbs. Hermann park golf course is in the city, oooorrr you reserve a slot at top golf and you don't have to rent clubs and you can watch all the games at the same time. It's fun as hell there and a less chance of you Yanks melting. As far as places to watch games. Your staying in downtown there's tons of places you got luckys pub, Christians tailgate, any little Woodrow's, Celtic gardens, and the obvious texans grille has tons of tvs. I also suggest a pub crawl up and down Washington ave. game day just walk around the blue lot you'll get taken in by one of the many tailgates getting offered steak n beer. Gates open at 8 more like 745 I suggest getting there at 9 we all have to build our tent city and unload our buses. Just don't have too much fun the night before and miss the greatest tailgate in all the land.

Love golf, good course?? Yea definitely need something to do that day (Saturday)? What bars are good to watch college games?

Go to Wildcat it is the nicest course centrally located.

Plenty of bars to watch college football I guess it really depends on the games and where you are staying

Back