Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick AKA Sonny Weaver part 2

Sonny .. I mean Nick isn't waiting for any draft! Now go get Derek Brown. His trade cost should not equal Diggs. Perhaps that 5th in 2025 we just received?

Texans currently have 9 picks in the 2024 NFL draft. What should we set the O/U on players they actually pick? What is the O/U on trades?!

I think they come away with 6 players selected and 3 trades on draft weekend.
Round 2: 2 picks
Round 3: 1
Round 4: 2
Round 5: 0
Round 6: 2 [1 from Diggs trade]
Round 7: 3
10 if I'm right.
Interesting post. I am going with four trades and probably five to six players. I would not be surprised if we ended up with only four players. I also think Sonny could trade up more so now than before to get specific players he wants. Also as we know, Nick is very likely to trade future picks to get what he wants this year.

Best Compliment to Nick's Draft Strategy I have ever heard in the National Media:

From Dianna Russini with the Athletic: (today's Athletic Pulse News Letter)
Q: Give me your best draft smokescreens.

A: Dianna: The Texans last year were brilliant in fooling the world. MAJOR NFL INSIDERS (at other outlets) were making bets on live television that Houston wasn't going quarterback, that's how well they kept their little secret. What they did do was let the rest of the league believe they were picking Will Anderson. Well, they did pick Anderson, AFTER they selected C.J. Stroud No. 2 overall. Was it to keep Carolina with the No. 1 overall pick on Bryce Young? Yep. Standing ovation for Nick Caserio, the Texans general manager.

Last edited:
Best Compliment to Nick's Draft Strategy I have ever heard in the National Media:

From Dianna Russini with the Athletic: (today's Athletic Pulse News Letter)
Q: Give me your best draft smokescreens.

A: Dianna: The Texans last year were brilliant in fooling the world. MAJOR NFL INSIDERS (at other outlets) were making bets on live television that Houston wasn't going quarterback, that's how well they kept their little secret. What they did do was let the rest of the league believe they were picking Will Anderson. Well, they did pick Anderson, AFTER they selected C.J. Stroud No. 2 overall. Was it to keep Carolina with the No. 1 overall pick on Bryce Young? Yep. Standing ovation for Nick Caserio, the Texans general manager.
Then Nick surprised most everybody trading for Diggs. I wonder what Nick has in mind for this draft?

Then Nick surprised most everybody trading for Diggs. I wonder what Nick has in mind for this draft?
I believe we will find out Friday night, and not before. One thing that Nick has shown (besides being a great judge of talent), is that NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is going to be leaked out of the Texans head offices.

Nick has the Kirby on lock down, tighter than CIA headquarters in Langley MD.

If you listen to the draft experts in the media, it bugs the hell out of them, because they have no idea what the Texans are going to do in the draft.

I suspect that there are exactly 4 people in this world that have a clue as to what the Texans Draft board looks like as of today: Nick / Demeco / Cal / Hanah and that is it.

I would bet not even the cleaning people are allowed into that room at this time. Nick is making sure no phones, no camera's are allowed into the room. And Nick is emptying the trash cans himself to make sure nothing slips out.

Last edited:
I believe we will find out Friday night, and not before. One thing that Nick has shown (besides being a great judge of talent), is that NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is going to be leaked out of the Texans head offices.

If you listen to the draft experts in the media, it bugs the hell out of them, because they have no idea what the Texans are going to do in the draft.
You sure about that?

Never forget Daniel Jeremiah's last mock nailed the Texans first round

You sure about that?

Never forget Daniel Jeremiah's last mock nailed the Texans first round
As I understand what happened from listening to Lance Zierlein, was that Daniel got the info the day before the draft. And supposedly he got that info out of the Cardinal's office's after the trade was informally agreed to.

Maybe Lance got bad poop. but that was what I heard.

As I understand what happened from listening to Lance Zierlein, was that Daniel got the info the day before the draft. And supposedly he got that info out of the Cardinal's office's after the trade was informally agreed to.

I also heard that the information came out of the Cardinals organization bragging about trade. I cannot remember the source.

I also heard that the information came out of the Cardinals organization bragging about trade. I cannot remember the source.
I had not heard that. The Cards bragging about the trade does make me giggle.

I suspect that there are exactly 4 people in this world that have a clue as to what the Texans Draft board looks like as of today: Nick / Demeco / Cal / Hanah and that is it.

I would bet not even the cleaning people are allowed into that room at this time. Nick is making sure no phones, no camera's are allowed into the room. And Nick is emptying the trash cans himself to make sure nothing slips out.

This is a brand new article (published today) in SI that really hammers home all the points made in this post.

Demeco: We keep the information tight between Nick and myself, it is all about protecting the team (I condensed his statement a little bit, but that was what he said)

Last edited:
When I watched Caserio's latest press conference, I didn't quite get why the "protect the team" line was used repeatedly. That article explains the reason to me, I think beside answering questions he was reminding people who remained silent last year to continue to do so.

Jeremiah had the Texans taking Anderson at 1.2 and trading up to 1.3 to draft Stroud earlier in the week. He had the players crossed, but was the first to predict the trade up.

I personally don't see him moving up (into the first) in this draft. I think he traded down and out for a good reason.
Agreed, especially after it became clear that the draft tradedown and acquiring Diggs wasn't all part of the same deal, and later comments on where they saw strength in the draft.

Now if a high-ranked (on the Texans board) pick slips way further than they should, all bets are off.

Jeremiah had the Texans taking Anderson at 1.2 and trading up to 1.3 to draft Stroud earlier in the week. He had the players crossed, but was the first to predict the trade up.
Go back and check the time and date Daniel released that trade bit. It was the evening before the 1st round started.

Agreed, especially after it became clear that the draft tradedown and acquiring Diggs wasn't all part of the same deal, and later comments on where they saw strength in the draft.

Now if a high-ranked (on the Texans board) pick slips way further than they should, all bets are off.
If a pick they like starts slipping into the bottom of the first like Newton, DeJean, then Caserio certainly should be trading up to get one of them. I know you think draft picks 1st and I totally get this. But if Newton or DeJean falls I would give up next year's first and 2-59 to pick one those guys. They're playmakers.

Then draft 1.Wilson a t2-42 and sign Simmons or Diggs in FA and that's a championship level defense.

Offense draft with the rest of the picks..

If a pick they like starts slipping into the bottom of the first like Newton, DeJean, then Caserio certainly should be trading up to get one of them. I know you think draft picks 1st and I totally get this. But if Newton or DeJean falls I would give up next year's first and 2-59 to pick one those guys. They're playmakers.

Then draft 1.Wilson a t2-42 and sign Simmons or Diggs in FA and that's a championship level defense.

?

I personally don't see him moving up (into the first) in this draft. I think he traded down and out for a good reason.
Although I don't hate trading down out of the 1st round, I do hate giving up a 2025 2nd round pick for S. Diggs and then restructuring a team friendly contract to a high priced 1 year rental. Whether this is a good trade all depends on how Diggs performs and behaves - and for how long.

For what they want the DT's to do in this defense, I would rather have Micheal Hall Jr at DT than Newton. I this Micheal Hall Jr is the is clearly the 2nd best fit for this defense in the draft behind Byron Murphy, and he isn't second by very much.

If you look at the athletics DT testing records for the top 5 DT's: Micheal Hall Jr is:

1st in the 40
1st in the 10 yd split (very important)
Tie for 2nd in Weight
2nd in Height
1st in longest Wing Span (very important)
Youngest, in age

And if you watch his tape, he was a hell of a pass rusher. At Ohio State they wanted him lighter, so he played at 280 lbs and he got pushed off the line by some of the bigger guards. Since the end of the season he has put on an extra 20 lbs of muscle , and tested at his pro-day with the numbers you see below. This guy can pretty easily get up to playing weight of 310 Lbs, then his problem with run stuffing would go away.

A guy this young with this kind of guick's, and the ability to add good weight, has the ear marks of what looks like to me, a 2nd Chris Jones (who was also a early 2nd round pick). If i could get this dude at the 42nd pick, I would not hesitate.
1714072692153.png

For what they want the DT's to do in this defense, I would rather have Micheal Hall Jr at DT than Newton. I this Micheal Hall Jr is the is clearly the 2nd best fit for this defense in the draft behind Byron Murphy, and he isn't second by very much.

If you look at the athletics DT testing records for the top 5 DT's: Micheal Hall Jr is:

1st in the 40
Tie for 2nd in Weight
2nd in Height
Youngest, in age

And if you watch his tape, he was a hell of a pass rusher. At Ohio State they wanted him lighter, so he played at 280 lbs and he got pushed off the line by some of the bigger guards. Since the end of the season he has put on an extra 20 lbs of muscle , and tested at his pro-day with the numbers you see below. This guy can pretty easily get up to playing weight of 310 Lbs, then his problem with run stuffing would go away.

A guy this young with this kind of guick's, and the ability to add good weight, has the ear marks of what looks like to me, a 2nd Chris Jones (who was also a early 2nd round pick). If i could get this dude at the 42nd pick, I would not hesitate.
Yeah he tested better than Newton because Newton didn't test. Newton was the Big 10 defensive player of the yr for a reason and he did all of his work while playing 1/2 a season with a Jones fracture in his foot. (He's a tough dude) With this said, I like Hall a lot too, but he's not nearly as developed as Newton. Can he become as good as Newton, Sure. But it's far from a sure thing. If you told me I could walk out of this draft with only 3 players and no trading up into the 1st, my picks would be P. Wilson/Bullard/Hall. It's possible to get all 3 of them but trades with future picks will be involved and I dont know how aggressive Caserio wants to be when it comes to involving 2025 picks.

1st in the 40
Tie for 2nd in Weight
2nd in Height
Youngest, in age

View attachment 14060
One of my go-to's have him as a mid-3rd. The other has him late 3rd-early 4th. With my mock, I hoped he would drop so we could get him in the 4th. I had a CB in the 3rd. Today I've been considering, and wouldn't mind flip flopping and taking DT with 3/86. He was a T30 so he also has that going for him.

Although I don't hate trading down out of the 1st round, I do hate giving up a 2025 2nd round pick for S. Diggs and then restructuring a team friendly contract to a high priced 1 year rental. Whether this is a good trade all depends on how Diggs performs and behaves - and for how long.
Yeah I didn't love that either. I liked getting two seconds and I liked having Diggs on a contract where we could cut it anytime for $0 dead cap.

Now it's not that great, but if Stefon plays like he has it probably is still worth it. Even for a 1 year deal.

Back