Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick AKA Sonny Weaver part 2

badboy

Hall of Fame
Everyone knows that Nick Caserio traded up to select Will Anderson with the third pick. It proved successful.
Often though, we might not remember other moves for 2023 such as the 6th for Shaq Mason plus a round 7. I for one am curious to see what he does with that seventh.
Here is a link to a recap of all the moves Nick made.

Will Nick do another Sonny Weaver from movie Draft Day?

Some will post here that there's no way our general manager would do any trade that may be suggested here. Looking back we know Caserio had no similar reservations.

Here is where I make this tougher. Don't post what you want him to do but what he could do based on his history.

I am not sure I see a blue chip like Anderson that Nick would go after.

Giants at 6 projected to take Alt despite a really good year for Thomas and Evan Neal perhaps returning from second ankle injury.
If Ryans thinks Alt could anchor right tackle then replace Tunsil in 2027 would Nick make another surprise move? If he was going to move up for a right tackle, I would think he would give up less and bring in another guy.
I've seen a mock with Alt falling to 9th.

If Bowers falls to 15 (Colts) as I've seen in some mocks, I would do what it takes to move up 9 spots for him.

Bowers is the only guy I could see them moving up for as someone who stands out above their peers at their position.

WR/CB/DL/OT all have quality options that will be there at 23.

But I think with the depth at QB it’s more likely Nick finds a trade down partner. Mainly because everyone knows Nick is open for business so if anyone is itching to move, they know who to call. They know he’s serious about making moves and wont waste eachother’s time talking about it.

Bowers is the only guy I could see them moving up for as someone who stands out above their peers at their position.

But I think with the depth at QB it’s more likely Nick finds a trade down partner. Mainly because everyone knows Nick is open for business so if anyone is itching to move, they know who to call. They know he’s serious about making moves and wont waste eachother’s time talking about it.
I could see a team wanting to move into the 1st rd to get their 5th year option on a QB.

If Guyton was there and the Redskins came calling with their two 2nd rd picks, would you do the deal?

Just to put it in perspective, a move up to #18 with Cincy would cost us our 3rd plus we could get back their 6th in compensation.
Texans could do that for someone like JerZhan Newton but you never know who they really like in this class and there is a chance Newton falls to us anyway - so do you sit pat and sweat it out, happy to take your next favorite on the board you feel confident will be there for you if Newton gets taken?

I could see a team wanting to move into the 1st rd to get their 5th year option on a QB.

If Guyton was there and the Redskins came calling with their two 2nd rd picks, would you do the deal?
I can see Wash. moving up but with that value, they could do much better than #23.
Let me ask you this - would you do a deal with Wash. if they offered #36 and #67? We still come out on top by about 35 points.
We would then hold #36, 59, 67 and 85 - all inside the top 100.
Interesting thing for Washington, is they likely get their QB with the second pick so if they want a top tackle which is also a giant need for them, they could conceivably move back into the first with those two seconds.
I imagine they would want maximum value for those to climb above other teams gunning for one.

Last edited:
Everyone knows that Nick Caserio traded up to select Will Anderson with the third pick. It proved successful.
Often though, we might not remember other moves for 2023 such as the 6th for Shaq Mason plus a round 7. I for one am curious to see what he does with that seventh.
Here is a link to a recap of all the moves Nick made.

Will Nick do another Sonny Weaver from movie Draft Day?

Some will post here that there's no way our general manager would do any trade that may be suggested here. Looking back we know Caserio had no similar reservations.

Here is where I make this tougher. Don't post what you want him to do but what he could do based on his history.

I am not sure I see a blue chip like Anderson that Nick would go after.

I did a mock where I traded the RD2-059 and 2025 RD2 to the Cardinals for their RD2-35.

I got:

1-023: RT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma)
2-035: DT- Byron Murphy II (Texas) or T’Vondre Sweat (Texas)

Holding tight to the RD4 picks, I see the Texans could shore up the trenches once again through the draft by selecting a big blocking TE who can catch:

4-123: TE- Jared Wiley (TCU)

Two of these guys would be strong additions to the trenches…..especially if Caserio could sign DE- Josh Allen away from the Jaguars.

Last edited:
I did a mock where I traded the RD2-059 and 2025 RD2 to the Cardinals for their RD2-35.

I got:

Holding tight to the RD4 picks, I see the Texans could shore up the trenches once again through the draft by selecting a big blocking TE who can catch:

Two of these guys would be strong additions to the trenches…..especially if Caserio could sign DE- Josh Allen away from the Jaguars.
That trade works and if Texans are in "win now" mode, as I expect they are, I can see them using a highish pick from next year to go after someone they really want.

I can see Wash. moving up but with that value, they could do much better than #23.
Let me ask you this - would you do a deal with Wash. if they offered #36 and #67? We still come out on top by about 35 points.
Interesting thing for Washington, is they likely get their QB with the second pick so if they want a top tackle which is also a giant need for them, they could conceivably move back into the first with those two seconds.
I imagine they would want maximum value for those to climb above other teams gunning for one.
I would do this deal.

You could get the best S on the board at 1-36. I'm about adding a star level player in this draft and I think you can find a star level player at 36. I also think with the depth of this wr class you could add another Dell type wr ( Malik Washington) and RB Irving or a TE like Sanders or Theo Johnson at 57-59.

36- Nubin
57- Johnson
59- Irving
85- Payton Wilson

Sign me up for this.

Just to put it in perspective, a move up to #18 with Cincy would cost us our 3rd plus we could get back their 6th in compensation.
Texans could do that for someone like JerZhan Newton but you never know who they really like in this class and there is a chance Newton falls to us anyway - so do you sit pat and sweat it out, happy to take your next favorite on the board you feel confident will be there for you if Newton gets taken?
I think I sit it out. One of Thomas, DeJohn, or Chop, Darius Robinson should be there at 1-23. But man it would be really tempting to move up. Bowers and Newton are the only two players I would consider moving up for.

I got:

If Guyton was there he would be worth trading a 2025 2nd for. I'm picking Theo Johnson at 3-85.

I think I sit it out. One of Thomas, DeJohn, or Chop, Darius Robinson should be there at 1-23. But man it would be really tempting to move up. Bowers and Newton are the only two players I would consider moving up for.

I like the CB options this year. Quinyon Mitchell strikes me as a guy who would excel in this defense and be a high end compliment to Stingley. Teams will target him and he will make them pay.

With Stingley/Mitchell outside, we would really need disciplined safety play for the times their gamble does not work out. That’s where I would pair this pick with a FA safety like Kyle Dugger or Kamren Curl.

I’m interested to see Steven Nelson’s FA market. He’s an ideal CB2 but older and his play is bound to drop off sooner than later. I’d bring him back if the price is right but would still target a CB like Mitchell. Move him or Nelson to the slot. Or Pitre to the slot and enjoy having insurance for Stingley.

I like the CB options this year. Quinyon Mitchell strikes me as a guy who would excel in this defense and be a high end compliment to Stingley. Teams will target him and he will make them pay.

With Stingley/Mitchell outside, we would really need disciplined safety play for the times their gamble does not work out. That’s where I would pair this pick with a FA safety like Kyle Dugger or Kamren Curl.

I’m interested to see Steven Nelson’s FA market. He’s an ideal CB2 but older and his play is bound to drop off sooner than later. I’d bring him back if the price is right but would still target a CB like Mitchell. Move him or Nelson to the slot. Or Pitre to the slot and enjoy having insurance for Stingley.
If Mitchell is there at 1-23 he would be my pick. I would sign Xavier Harrison in FA and draft one of Mustafa or Bishop in the 4th. I'm trying out Petrie at the nickle and bringing back King at the vet min.

I like both those dudes but I also like Byron Murphy and he could be there if Newton is gone.

Who are your top three CBs in this?
I have McKinstry, DeJean and Arnold.
I think one of them will be there for us at 23.
Would you pull the trigger on one of them?

If Guyton was there he would be worth trading a 2025 2nd for. I'm picking Theo Johnson at 3-85.

If Guyton is there for the taking…..why would I give him to another team so they could shore up their OL. RT pass blocking for the Texans was abysmal, with the performance also hamstringing the run game.

Guyton is going to be a force on any teams OL and protecting Stroud is of the utmost importance, as is improving the running game. Do these two things and Stroud is going to make his receivers even more lethal, while the running game would be in a position to make defenses acknowledge and respect it.

Last edited:
Who are your top three CBs in this?
I have McKinstry, DeJean and Arnold.
I think one of them will be there for us at 23.
Would you pull the trigger on one of them?
1. Mitchell
2. Arnold
3. DeJohn

Depends on who's on the board, but yes I would pick them.

I've got Guyton, Both Robinson's, Thomas rated ahead of all of them except Mitchell. Love me some Mitchell, although don't trust me, I'm terrible at evaluating CB's

Yes and one of reasons I posted thread as I see and hope Caserio trades down from 23. I want to get others POV as to any trade up from 23.

I would imagine if not expect Nick to utilize current picks and others gained in maneuvering 23 to move up. That's why I linked to remind us he got his guy(s) and not only Anderson.

Picking at 23 will get us an excellent player at a need position. Trading down could bring more.

As Satchmo sang..
It's a Wonderful World

For Patrick Paul, Trice and Dorlus ? Yes!!
If you don't like this, pick another three. If you don't like any of those six pick another three!

Yep, on the trade value chart you would gain 280 points. Equivalent to a late 2nd profit. That deal wont happen but it’d be nice to be on the other side of an OB trade…

agreed but I could also see a team needing a quarterback with a fifth year option as steelbtexan indicated wanting to go big.
1.2 QB Jayden Daniels LSU

1.23 WR Brian Thomas LSU

Year 5 Options on both.

Good discussion everyone. I know how good Newton is but also think that Dorlus is right there with him. Cratering the middle; 5 sacks plus NINE passes defended.. from a DT?🤪😝
If able to translate that into NFL would be amazing.

Another thing about discussion like this is we learn more about players.

Trying to think like Washington and I would say that a quarterback and his preference at wide receiver as we saw with Bengals Herbert and Chase from LSU
Could have me trying to duplicate that with Daniels and Thomas.

Get edge or OT Blake Fisher in round three.

I got:

Tweek it a bit:

1.23 for Az three round threes and also your trade of 2024/25 round 2s for 35.

2.35 Guyton or Paul

Four round 3s and two 4s. Wonder what Sonny er Nicky would do with those six?

One of my favorite looking mocks that I come up with looks something like this. A bunch of trade downs that gets us a ton of picks. We won't have any holes on our roster after this. Lol

View attachment 13638

I was scanning along .... suddenly I saw a guard from A&M .... reflexively puckered so hard - that I ripped a hole in my pants .... and my new chair !!!

Other than Theo thompson, I would not probably take any of those guys as I like other players better. However, that's exactly the way to think.

Good work!
I like other guys more as well but that is a bit of the point of it. Ending up with players like Corley/Williams/Robinson and missing out on guys I like a bit more Franklin/Worthy/Bishop/Hicks/Mahogany kept netting me another pick and another.

Good discussion everyone. I know how good Newton is but also think that Dorlus is right there with him. Cratering the middle; 5 sacks plus NINE passes defended.. from a DT?🤪😝
If able to translate that into NFL would be amazing.

Another thing about discussion like this is we learn more about players.
Right!
A bit more on Byron Murphy :-
They say he is slightly undersized for the interior but 6'1" and 308 pounds is solid. Isn't Aaron Donald around there? I think slightly shorter is an advantage as they can get up under the lineman's pads.
"As a pass rusher, he produced an incredible 40 total pressures, which included 30 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 6 sacks on the year. His remarkable season earned him an invitation to the 2024 Reese’s Senior Bowl."
He made Bruce Feldman's Freaks list at #18.

Right!
They say he is slightly undersized for the interior but 6'1" and 308 pounds is solid. Isn't Aaron Donald around there? I think slightly shorter is an advantage as they can get up under the lineman's pads.
"As a pass rusher, he produced an incredible 40 total pressures, which included 30 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 6 sacks on the year. His remarkable season earned him an invitation to the 2024 Reese’s Senior Bowl."
He also had an incredible pass rush win rate of 20%... best among all DT's

Right!
UT and Desota home grown. I think Caserio is well aware of what Murphy brings. Tankathon has him going at 23 but no other defensive tackle going before 35. I would seriously consider him in a trade with Arizona. There are just so many good players that would be available in the top of round two.

If Guyton is there for the taking…..why would I give him to another team so they could shore up their OL. RT pass blocking for the Texans was abysmal, with the performance also hamstringing the running game.

Guyton is going to be a force on any teams OL and protecting Stroud is of the utmost importance, as is improving the running game. Do these two things and Stroud is going to make his receivers even more lethal, while the running game would be in a position to make defenses acknowledge and respect it.
You would gain 2 or 3 players that could fill holes in the roster like S (You would be able to get the best S in the draft.) WR, (Lots of top tier talent) TE (2nd best TE) or even an edge.

Signing Trent Brown would be more of a sure thing when it comes to protecting Stroud. Want to improve the run game? Sign Brown/Swift Samuel and draft Theo Johnson in the 3rd rd.

I don't see many of the trends the author see. Except #2, trade up to select the player he wants. If Nick doesn't trade up for a player, does he really want him?
I'm guessing there's clusters of guys where Caserio will be picking. If most of those guys are gone then he will trade up to get his guy. Either that or if a guy like Harris is falling and Ryans really wants a certain guy then Caserio will trade up to get Ryans the guy he wants.

I'm guessing there's clusters of guys where Caserio will be picking. If most of those guys are gone then he will trade up to get his guy. Either that or if a guy like Harris is falling and Ryans really wants a certain guy then Caserio will trade up to get Ryans the guy he wants.

That’s pretty much exactly what Caserio has said about his past trades.

Remembering the Tank/Juice trades specifically. They were taken in a cluster of similarly rated players (on Texans board) at their position. Makes sense if team feels there is a dropoff they would move in to fill that need.

Last edited:
Saw a mock with Dallas Turner falling to 16. If Atlanta trades for Justin Fields, Atl could select WR despite need for edge.

Caserio trades 23 plus 124 and our round 3 in 2025 to get Turner.

Next, trades round 2 this draft plus round 2 from 2025 for Arizona 2.35 for Troy Franklin.

Round 3 CB Kris Abrams-Draine

Round 4 128 safety Cole Bishop

Last edited:
Back