Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL: Welcome to the new Arena Football League

Hottoddie

Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/nfl-study-hits-knees-rule-change-possible-151027976.html

As was expected, the NFL competition committee is now looking into hits at the knees & below. I guess it's just a matter of time until that area is outlawed as well. It's going to get to the point that defensive players have a smaller area to tackle a guy than MLB allows for a strike zone. If the defense can't tackle it's just a matter of time till we start seeing 70-63 scores on a regular basis.

Imo, this is an overreaction to the hit DJ put on Keller. I don't mean to sound like I don't care about Keller's injury, because I am concerned about his future NFL career. But, the play was a fluke of perfect timing. If DJ had gotten there just 1/2 second earlier, Keller's foot wouldn't have been planted & he would've taken Keller's feet out from under him. The play probably would've ended up on ESPN as a highlight hit instead of a tragic hit.

Once they outlaw the knees & below, the defense will have to tackle the midsection only. These guys are huge, fast & strong. Once they start focusing on the midsection, how long does anyone think it'll be until we have a player die from a hit like DJ Hayden took that, short of a miracle, should've taken his life.

How about looking at the equipment that was designed to protect the players in the first place rather than making new rules that only shift the next injury to another part of the body? If the knees are the flavor of the day, how about making the players wear knee braces? For concussions, how about looking at a different turf to play the game on?

You want to know why the NFL won't look into those kind of options? It would cut into their bottom line ($$$$$$$$$$$)!

Okay, I'm through ranting. The article just set me off, that's all.:foottap:

The NFL may just go the way of the NBA for me if they keep going down this road, which is to say I would be a VERY casual fan.

Back