Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Patriots Belichick is now breaking down combine drills. He seems to value the three-cone.

Howie Roseman of the Eagles said more college teams running a three-man front helps find pass rush linebackers now.

49ers Jim Harbaugh on Manziel, "Impressed. Competitive. winner." Traits will translate well to NFL. (Yes, wearing those khakis.) Asked to name his favorite Combine interview ever Jim Harbaugh says ...he "loved Cam Newton." (Two odd ducks, anyone else in that room probably thought the were speaking a different language
laugh-1.gif
)

Lions Jim Caldwell up -- personal note, always impresses the heck out of me. “A lot of people want to talk about things that aren’t important, like is he elite…" on Stafford. "Whether or not he's elite doesn't matter. We want a championship QB."

Falcons Mike Smith classifies Dee Ford and Greg Robinson as "very good players," -- Wait, wut??? Stating the obvious.

Bears Marc Trestman -- "going to be a defensive oriented draft." No surprise.

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert: "I've been doing this 30 some years and this is the deepest draft I've seen." Also said least mature group of players, will have to do more player development.

Titans Ken Whisenhunt says he does not know what the Titans biggest needs are just yet. Needs to spend time with players on the field. (Wrong answer). Avoids being drawn into Browns clusterfart.

Combine Watch: Small-school stars who could shine in Indianapolis

2014 NFL Combine Preview: Potential Patriots at Each Position -- works for me

Josh Norris: NFL Combine Preview -- good stuff in here

Grantland -- Welcome to the NFL’s SATs

[IMGwidthsize=64]http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/static/img/navigation/shields/header-shield.png[/IMG]

Last edited:
Greg Robinson's arm length- 35 inches, 320 lbs., 6'5"

Cyrus Kouandjio- 6'6 3/4 322.

Jake Matthews at 6'5/308 lbs with 33 3/8" arms and 9 7/8"

Taylor Lewan measured in at 6'7/309 pounds with 33 78" arms. 9 1/4" hands.

Stanford OG David Yankey- 6'5 5/8 315 with 34 inch arms

USC's Marcus Martin -- 6'3 3/8 320 with 34 inch arms...can play all 3 interior spots

Eric Ebron 6'4 3/8 250

ND TE Troy Niklas 6'6.5" 270…“Chiseled” was the word

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins measured in at 6-5.5, 262 pounds. 33 3/4" arms, 80" wingspan

Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro. He just measured in at 6-5 3/8, 265 lbs.

TE Richard Rodgers arrived at 6'4/257 lbs with 32 5/8" arms and 10 1/8" hands.

Jerry Ricecake 7'3" (with hair) 196 lbs.

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
4 TEs measured under 6-3 but no one under 6-2. #NFLCombine

Only 2 OL had arms under 32 inches.:#Alabama OG Anthony Steen (30 1/2) and Utah St. OC Tyler Larsen (31 1/2). #NFLCombine

6 OL had 35-inch or longer arms led by Luke Lucas (36 3/4). Alabama's Cyrus Kouandjio had 2nd-longest arms (35 5/8)

CSU OC Weston Richburg 1 of 4 players under 300 lbs. Came in at 298, lighter than you'd want. #NFLCombine

19 OL measured 6-5 or taller. Tallest: KSU's Luke Lucas (6-8 3/8). Lewan came in at 6-7 1/8. Matthews 6-5 1/2, 308 -looked great.
**chatter**

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
Spielman said #Vikings have eight or nine QBs on the docket for private workouts before the draft.

Vikings would love to trade back from the No. 8 pick, in part because they think there is depth at the QB position in this draft.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
If the NFL draft were today, the Texans would take...Blake Bortles: That's what I'm hearing.

Johnny Manziel 40 time prop bet line set at 4.45 per @bovadaLV. Sammy Watkins line at 4.32

Name I keep hearing a lot of buzz about is C.J. Mosley. One team source flat-out told me I had him rated too low (No. 16 overall)

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Sua-Filo: "I've been told I'm a guard. But I feel like I can play tackle and be good at it."

Talking to people in Indy who I trust, I get the sense that Bortles and Manziel are the favorites for No. 1 pick. Still very early though

Last edited:
The author should be taken out and crunched for this...
If that were to occur, it won't matter much if the "chip" on Manziel's shoulder was a Frito, Dorito or Tostito. Hate to Ruffles anyone feathers, but rather than Lays down, why not show some Pringles and compete?

I've tried to make a half dozen post w/ info on the Combine. Playoffs is always quicker on the draw.

BTW Playoffs you're doing an outstanding job updating draft info and what's happening at the Combine. Thank You! The message board will not allow me to give you all the reps you deserve.

I've tried to make a half dozen post w/ info on the Combine. Playoffs is always quicker on the draw.

BTW Playoffs you're doing an outstanding job updating draft info and what's happening at the Combine. Thank You! The message board will not allow me to give you all the reps you deserve.

Repped him for ya. Good stuff Playoffs.

...Playoffs..?
Playoffs...??
Who IS that guy anyway?

Even Roger wants to know...
images

Oh, wow, thanks guys. Aggregating/posting draft news educates the draftnik in me. I learn a lot from doing it, and like informing the discussions here on TT about what I consider the most important draft in Texans history. Deepest draft in 10+ years, and we're in the first slot. MSR to those I can't bump. :handshake:

2013 NFL COMBINE: WHAT TO LEARN FROM EACH DRILL

10 (and 20) Yard Split
This might be one of the most telling and unfortunately most forgotten numbers of the entire NFL Combine. While the 40 time is the "sexy" time, only the running back/wide receiver position would ever run 40 yards straight, and even those two positions rarely get that 40 yard space without contact. The 10 yard split shows the explosiveness off the snap from a 3 point stance for the offensive/defensive lineman, which is basically the only valuable part of the drill for those positions. As for the position players, being able to quickly get to a players top speed is crucial for receivers exploding to their first cut, while defensive backs need that explosiveness after they flip their hips and run.

40 Yard Time
The 40 time does have some merit in terms of value for all position. Obviously for the position players, it's a testament to raw speed, something that really is essential to play in the NFL and can not be overlooked. However, for the other positions, you can get more out of watching how these prospects actually run: Is it smooth? Is there wasted motion? Do the prospects times drastically drop off after the 20 yard times? Those are really what to get out of the 40 time.

Bench Press
For all linemen, impressing the bench press is a must for the offensive and defensive linemen, and an impressive showing for any other position is notable because it shows dedication to the weight room as well as raw power and strength. Also to keep in mind, prospects with longer arms will generally do less because of the weight to push the farther distance.

Vertical Jump
The vertical jump is the best indicator of lower body strength, and it's a more practical football-related test of that lower body strength than a squat is for the linemen and linebackers. While it also shows the same lower body explosiveness for receivers and defensive backs, it's an essential skill set that showcases in air ball skills and the ability to get vertical.

Broad Jump
As with most combine tests (as you've probably noticed), the broad jump once again tests for explosiveness. Its standing still, only using legs to drive you body forward in the air. The most important aspect of the drill, however, is that the player needs to stick the landing with balance for it to count. This explosion-to-balance combination is crucial for pass rushers and bigger bodied receivers to control their length/weight and balance while using their strength.

3 Cone/"L" Drill
The "L" drill is a test of two main aspects that are crucial for almost any position: Change of direction without losing balance, and continuing to accelerate through cuts/turns. The drill basically is a five yard sprint, then a sharp cut right, followed by a five yard sprint to the next perpendicular cone, where the runner loops around, accelerate to the middle cone, and then cut back to the starting point. This is beneficial to see how well a position player can cut without wasted steps and without losing any burst, while also showing how a pass rusher can stay low and balanced while staying smooth and powerful in the rushes.

Short Shuttle
The short shuttle is simply exploding five yards to the right, then explode ten yards back to the left, and finish back to the original starting point. The lateral quickness aspect of the drill is obviously important to positional players, showcasing balance and decisive steps while utilizing their quickness. For the bigger linebackers and linemen, it's more about the ability to not slow down but more just plant and bend ability for these bigger athletes.

Other Numbers to Note:
  • -Hand size (for QB, WR, OL, and DL)
  • -Arm length/wingspan (for WRs, OL, and any outliers at other positions)
  • -Wonderlic Scores (for all positions, especially QBs, looking for outlier numbers)
  • -Flexibility ratings (not given out to public, but useful for NFL teams to test athletic upside)

Position Drills to Note:
  • -Passing drill for QBs (focusing on vertical control, drop quickness to release)
  • -Vertical pass catching for WRs (see depth perception, ability to finish deep catches)
  • -Gauntlet drill for WRs (evaluate quick body direction change, reliability in hands)
  • -Kick slide drill for OL (especially for OTs, see if they can get depth and stay balanced)
  • -Rip/Swim Bag Exchange for DL (see if DL can stay in athletic position, transitioning between bags)
  • -Coverage drops for LBs (see how each linebacker opens initially, shuffles, and flips hips)
  • -Vertical coverage for DBs (see jump timing, ability to stay tight on WRs, hands and ball skills)

I have to add to the Playoffs back-patting. He does a fantastic job of adding value to the forums during the offseason.

I have to add to the Playoffs back-patting. He does a fantastic job of adding value to the forums during the offseason.
Agreed! He's beaten the ticket on my phone several times.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout

Quote:
If the NFL draft were today, the Texans would take...Blake Bortles: That's what I'm hearing
That's what I've told everyone at my office for a month now. There's no substitute for beating the new HC team right in front of him.

These tweeting fool & their "sources" about what they're hearing is turning into a joke. 1 guy at the same combine hears that it's manziel...another just now is hearing it's Bortles...

I'm patiently waiting for the tweet from the jagwagon that says his sources tell him it's Clowney.

Okay, Height/Weight/Other measurables are now being updated on NFL.com here:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Sort by position, click on "Analysis" to see the updates.

These tweeting fool & their "sources" about what they're hearing is turning into a joke. 1 guy at the same combine hears that it's manziel...another just now is hearing it's Bortles...I'm patiently waiting for the tweet from the jagwagon that says his sources tell him it's Clowney.
Exactly what you want if you're the Texans... mass confusion/disinformation on what you're going to do forces teams that fall in love with a guy to make offers.

Arkansas C Travis Swanson said a #Browns scout asked him at Senior Bowl "to name all the things I could do w/ a single brick in 1 minute."
laugh-1.gif

Last edited:
Teddy measures in at 6"2.5 and 219 pounds, runs a 4.68 40

Manziel comes in at 6' on the dot and weighs at 211, runs a 4.59 40

Teddy measures in at 6"2.5 and 219 pounds, runs a 4.68 40

Manziel comes in at 6' on the dot and weighs at 211, runs a 4.59 40

& right on que, Teddy obliterates any notion of his possible frailness & lack of athleticism....only 8 tenths of a second behind Manziel.

Okay, Height/Weight/Other measurables are now being updated on NFL.com here:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Sort by position, click on "Analysis" to see the updates.

2014 NFL Combine Results and Data Google Docs spreadsheet updated regularly:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...l9kOGxPXzhPckREX3NQd0dQTGc&toomany=true#gid=8

THE SIDELINE VIEW'S OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE WATCHING GUIDE

Buy NFL Combine Gear: http://shop.houstontexans.com/NFL_Combine_Gear/pg/1/ps/48/so/highest_price

Last edited:
Looks like all TE, OL and PK have official measurements in.

Matthews measures at 6"5, 308 with 33 3/8 inch arms and Greg Robinson measures in at 6"5, 332, and 35 inch arm.

Playoffs, do you have any insight as to how the official measurements are working today? Are they going by position and last name?

More specifically...

Wednesday, Feb. 19
• PK/ST/OL/TE medical pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, interviews

Thursday, Feb. 20
• PK/ST/OL/TE measurements, medical exams, media, interviews
• QB/WR/RB medical pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, interviews

Friday, Feb. 21
• PK/ST workout; PK/ST/OL/TE bench press, psychological testing, interviews
• QB/WR/RB measurements, medical exams, media, interviews
• DL/LB medical pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, interviews

Saturday, Feb. 22
• OL/TE on-field workout (timing, stations, skill drills)
• QB/WR/RB psychological testing, bench press, interviews
• DL/LB measurements, medical exams, media, interviews
• DB medical pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, interviews

Sunday, Feb. 23
• QB/WR/RB on-field workout (timing, stations, skill drills)
• DL/LB psychological testing, bench press, interviews
• DB measurements, medical exams, media, interviews

Monday, Feb. 24
• DL/LB on-field workout (timing, stations, skill drills)
• DB psychological testing, bench press, interviews

Tuesday, Feb. 25
• DB on-field workout (timing, stations, skill drills)

Playoffs, do you have any insight as to how the official measurements are working today? Are they going by position and last name?
Brought forward for you.

He's likely already off our board for character, but...
Taylor Lewan's puzzling comments

No player had a weirder press conference than Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan. Often smirking or even chuckling through answers, Lewan deflected questions about his off-field concerns like they were blitzing defensive ends.

Remember the play against Michigan State where Lewan tried to separate Isaiah Lewis' head from his shoulders? Lewan now says their friends. Lewan denied getting into an altercation with an Ohio State fan after the two rivals played last year. He also denied threatening a woman involved in a rape allegation.

There was at least some light-hearted spots with Lewan. He broke down how he blocked Jadeveon Clowney, saying he keyed on the superstar's feet to figure out where the blitz was going. He even claimed to be unbeatable in Super Smash Bros., so he probably has a pretty nice selection of trophies.
Lewan also claimed that "it wasn't my fault" when questioned about being beat on a play. :spin:

This is scouting gold...

2014 NFL combine survey: Offensive linemen recall their toughest opponents
OT Cameron Fleming, Stanford: “[Former USC end and current Packers OLB] Nick Perry.

C Tyler Larsen, Utah: “I would say … in the Senior Bowl, I went up against [Pitt defensive tackle] Aaron Donald.

OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada: “Probably either Anthony Barr from UCLA, or Demarcus Lawrence from Boise State.

OT Charles Leno, Boise State: “Ezekiel Ansah.

OG Xavier Su’a-Filo, UCLA: “I’d have to say Star Lotulelei.

OT Justin Britt, Missouri: “Probably Jadeveon Clowney.

OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M: But I thought Kony Ealy from Missouri was great.

C Travis Swanson, Arkansas: “I would say [former Alabama and current Bills DT] Marcel Dareus.

C James Stone, Tennessee: I’d have to say Dominique Easley.

T Taylor Lewan, Michigan: “Jadaveon Clowney, absolutely.

C Weston Richburg, Colorado State: “Aaron Donald

OG David Yankey, Stanford: “The toughest defender was probably Stephon Tuitt

G/T Zack Martin, Notre Dame: “[Pittsburgh's] Aaron Donald

T Michael Schofield, Michigan: “I matched up against Jadeveon Clowney for one series [in the 2013 Outback Bowl]. That was hardest series of my life. … The hype is legit.”

T Ja’Wuan James, Tennessee: “Michael Sam.

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks
Blake Bortles 6'5 232

Teddy Bridgewater 6'2 1/8 214

Johnny Manziel 5'11 3/4 207

Hand size: Bridgewater- 9 1/4, Bortles- 9 3/8, Manziel- 9 7/8.

AJ McCarron 6'3 1/4 220

Odell Beckham 5'11 1/4 198

Jarvis Landry 5'11 1/2 204

Bradin Cooks 5'9 3/4 189

Allen Robinson 6'2 5/8 220

Kelvin Benjamin- 6'5 240

Mike Evans- 6'4 3/4 231

Sammy Watkins 6'0 3/4 211

Marqise Lee 5'11 3/4 192

Martavis Bryant 6'3 1/2 211

Bruce Ellington 5'9 3/8 197

Carlos Hyde 5'11 7/8 230

Jeremy Hill 6'0 5/8 233

Kadeem Carey-5'9 3/8 207

Tre Mason 5'8 1/2 207

Terrance West 5'9 1/4 225

Andre Williams 5'11 3/8 230

Bishop Sankey 5'9 1/2 209

De'Anthony Thomas 5'8 5/8 174

Last edited:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 39m
MANZIEL – 5’11 and ¾, 207 with 9 7/8 hands.
BRIDGEWATER – 6’2 1/8, 214 with 9 ¼ hands.
BORTLES – 6’5, 232 with 9 3/8 hands.

Manziel is pretty stout at not quite 6 foot but 207lbs, Teddy heavier than expected but tiny hands, and Bortles is a giant.

Manziel is pretty stout at not quite 6 foot but 207lbs, Teddy heavier than expected but tiny hands, and Bortles is a giant.

Are these the official Combine measurements? Didn't know they started yet.

I wouldn't say TB's hands are "tiny." They are probably normal for a man his size whereas Manziel's are probably abnormal for a man his size. Anyway, Bortles' hand size is only 1/8 bigger than Bridgewater's. That's not much of a difference.

Hand size: Bridgewater- 9 1/4, Bortles- 9 3/8, Manziel- 9 7/8.

So, for the hand fetish folks, are Teddy's hands too small? I have no idea what threshold people look for.

So, for the hand fetish folks, are Teddy's hands too small? I have no idea what threshold people look for.

Blake is right...so much depends on how he protects the ball...but TB's hands are the same hand size as colin kaepernick...under 9 would be a concern..i think more than anything, his hand size is just about average for an NFL qb.

Blake is right...so much depends on how he protects the ball...but TB's hands are the same hand size as colin kaepernick...under 9 would be a concern..i think more than anything, his hand size is just about average for an NFL qb.

I think it's a factor if you play in bad weather also .

QB's Hands: does Size really matter...?

Written by Thomas Jackson on 19 June 2010.

The Packers’ Brett Favre had his hand measured at 10 3/8 inches, from thumb tip to pinkie tip, during the National Football scouting combine in 1991. Favre’s grip on the ball is so enormous that the thumb and little finger of his outstretched right hand probably would cover almost exactly half the circumference of an NFL football.

Daunte Culpepper’s hand size was 9½ inches at the ’99 combine. Culpepper’s hand measurement of 9½ isn’t extremely low by NFL standards, but for someone his size (6-4, 264), it is. Not only the size but also the unusual shape of Culpepper’s hands was a concern not only for the Vikings but other NFL teams before the ’99 draft. Several sources confirmed that Culpepper has what is commonly referred to as a “web hand.” It’s a hereditary condition in which his fingers don’t separate easily because the skin between them is connected upward toward the knuckles more than normal.

Michael Vick, who stands barely 6-0, has merely an 8½-inch hand. However, Drew Brees, who stands just 6-0½, has a hand of 10¼.

In the ballyhooed quarterback class of 1999 that included Culpepper, Tim Couch’s hand was 9 7/8, Donovan McNabb’s hand was 10-0, Akili Smith’s was 9¾ and Cade McNown’s was 9 3/8.

A list of other quarterbacks and their hand sizes includes Brad Johnson (10 1/8), Patrick Ramsey (10-0), David Carr (9¾), Joey Harrington (9¾), Trent Dilfer (9 5/8), Jay Fiedler (9½), J.T. O’Sullivan (9½), Jake Plummer (9¼) and Chris Chandler (9¼).

One of the largest measures of any quarterback drafted in the first round was the 11¼ of Jim Druckenmiller. He was a bust, as was Heath Shuler (10 5/8 ). David Klingler (9¼) had a small hand and flopped.
Bringing forward from Dr CND.

I think it's a factor if you play in bad weather also .

it is..but for most guys except the truly gifted..the Russell Wilson's of the world, throwing the ball in bad weather is always gonna be an issue. My hand size is closer to Bortles' & i can remember always having issues with gripping the ball on cold & rainy days.

I just asked our computer lab admin for a tape measure so I could measure my hand. He told me to "Get the **** out of here!" But he tells me that every day.

In the bad news section, Dustin Vaughan's hands are only 8 7/8 inches.

Still that will push him down to where he is available to the Texans as a FA.

I need to find a tape measure and measure my hand to get some perspective on all this.

I must be doing it wrong. I measured from the tip of my pinky to the tip of my thumb and it measured 10" and I do not have large hands.

Hmm... My right hand is only 9 7/8" while my left hand is 10" and I'm right handed.

I may have to rethink the size of my hands. I have always had to get xl gloves, but I thought it was primarily for thickness and I always thought my fingers were somewhat stubby. I thought putting my hand up against my oldest son confirmed it because his fingers stretch beyond mine by 1/2 inch to an inch in all directions.

Last edited:
I'm more of a data person than a chart person. I noticed the charts were not consistent in what they measured or where they were positioned, so it's like comparing Apples, Oranges, Pears, Grapefruits, Grapes and Strawberries with various vegetables included just to confuse the issues.

The charts have no context.

I think everything was measured , the data that was most relative to that QB was charted .

tumblr_inline_mnwaoc1oiF1qz4rgp.gif

I need to find a tape measure and measure my hand to get some perspective on all this.

tip of your little finger to the tip of your thumb on your throwing hand. If < 9" you're out as an NFL QB, if 9" or > you're in as a NFL QB. Your's truly = 9 1/2"

Back