Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

New Tailgate Policy

I think that there's social tailgaiting and then there's the nfl hooligans . If a person doesn't have anything invested ( except a case of Miller Lite ) , he/she doesn't have anything to lose . If a person is a guest of a ticket holder , then their more likely to behave .

My last full season of tailgating was 2008, and I went to a few games last year. It did seem like the hooligan factor was slowly increasing as time went on, more and more huge tailgates with massive speakers and lots of people staying in the lot during the game, beer bongs, jello shots, and other booze delivery gimmicks, and more of a party vibe and less of a family atmosphere like in the beginning.

I'm really not surprised that it's come to this, though, but I must admit that I have a low opinion of people in general and tend to expect the worst. They never seem to disappoint in that regard.

At least the organization is trying to do something instead of just ignoring the problems until they become too big and everyone loses the privilege of tailgating. Personally, if I was still a season ticket holder and going there every home game, I'd applaud this policy.

This is what security is for.
That's my point. Crowd control is the Texans' job. If the crowd size was a surpise for them, then they weren't forecasting well. What WILL they do when ticketed fans start acting up (like countless cases beforehand)?

God help us if we get another Superbowl...what WILL they do? :sarcasm:

That's my point. Crowd control is the Texans' job. If the crowd size was a surpise for them, then they weren't forecasting well. What WILL they do when ticketed fans start acting up (like countless cases beforehand)?

To what point? What if 100,000 people showed up just to tailgate?

This is what security is for.

If you really think that security can account for 100k+ in the parking lot, while trying to provide security for 70k inside the stadium you are probably not going to like the answer you'll get.

They are way too liable to continue to have problems in the parking lots, if they don't get it under control they'll shut it down. You know if the problems persist it'll come, again the few ruin it for the many. If you can't see it's getting worse you are probably not paying enough attention or not showing up.

I'm also worried that as the Texans become more popular and the tailgating gets advertised to folks (like those in the video) more and more as a 'free party' problems will only increase.

Here's to hoping the policy helps and if not they change it.

I would not be shocked if we had 100k in the parking lot during the game last week, it was crazy..

I mentioned it earlier, but HPD estimated that there were 150,000-175,000 people on the lots, and only 70,000 of those were actually going to the game.

PSL owners will be held resp for WHOEVER is sitting in their seats, and that's the way it should be. Last year, a guy who sits close to me, invited a friend who got into an altercation with another fan. SOMEONE in our section reported it to the FO and he received a call from the Texans the next Tuesday telling him to basically keep those who occupy his seats in check or he would chance losing his PSLs. I look at it as one way of inforcing "crowd control."

I did not see any problems at the last SB, regardless of the pathetic, idiotic Pats fans. THANK GAWD above there was NO tailgating!! It was an entire different set up than what we see on a week to week basis. I'm not sure the Texans KNEW the extent of the massive sell out by Texan fans to Cowboy fans. Obviously, they underestimated the number of Texan fans who love the Cowboys more than their home team. Hopefully, they learned a lesson and we will NEVER see a repeat of that fiasco EVER again!! I will bet you a paycheck we will NOT see such a major messup in 4 yrs when we go to Dallas.

PSL owners will be held resp for WHOEVER is sitting in their seats, and that's the way it should be. Last year, a guy who sits close to me, invited a friend who got into an altercation with another fan. SOMEONE in our section reported it to the FO and he received a call from the Texans the next Tuesday telling him to basically keep those who occupy his seats in check or he would chance losing his PSLs. I look at it as one way of inforcing "crowd control."

I did not see any problems at the last SB, regardless of the pathetic, idiotic Pats fans. THANK GAWD above there was NO tailgating!! It was an entire different set up than what we see on a week to week basis. I'm not sure the Texans KNEW the extent of the massive sell out by Texan fans to Cowboy fans. Obviously, they underestimated the number of Texan fans who love the Cowboys more than their home team. Hopefully, they learned a lesson and we will NEVER see a repeat of that fiasco EVER again!! I will bet you a paycheck we will NOT see such a major messup in 4 yrs when we go to Dallas.

See, there's part of that slippery slope that I'm worried about.

EX: The Texans advertise selling your tickets on Stubhub. The NFL advertises selling them through TicketExchange
1. I put my tickets on Stubhub / Ticket Exchange and some Cryboys fan buys 'em.
2. Said Cryboys fan shows up and gets into an altercation.
3. Texans tell me that my PSL is in danger of being revoked.

Really? You mean I used an NFL/TEXANS "sponsored" vendor to perform a ticket transaction (that they fully ENCOURAGE) and I'm being penalized for it? If this EVER happens, expect a really large lawsuit over it. Heck, what if I donated it to charity on the Texans site and the kid causes trouble?

Unlike flying as a pass-rider using my wife's benefits, this isn't some company benefit that I'm utilizing for reduced / no charge here. This is a multi-billion dollar industry that I pay FULL PRICE for tickets to. Tickets are publicly available for anyone to buy. I am NOT responsible for 3rd-party conduct for an entity I can't possibly even know (if on Stubhub, etc.)

How does this relate to the Texans NEW policy? They are stating (in no uncertain terms) that the PSL holder will be liable for the conduct of anyone using these new passes. In my view, if the Texans / NFL are facilitating that exchange through a website THEY are promoting, then they are just as responsible for that conduct.

I don't have a problem with trying to eliminate scumbags from the tailgates. And I know that it is hard to make a narrowly tailored policy that doesn't present problems like trying to exchange tickets at the game.

Hopefully they put scary looking signs about that say, "Please be prepared to show tickets." And then they don't really check everyone's tickets in the cars coming in because that would be a slow pain in the ass.

Definitely a slippery slope Dan! I have no idea what the answer is either. To big for my beany brain to deal with. I know I was slapped back into reality this past Sunday. Have NO doubt, this City's football loyalty lies with the Dallas Cowboys, not the Houston Texans. Come Nov when we play the Titans, we will see the same thing. We, TEXAN fans, are a minority in our own City.

I still applaud the Texans for making this change. All of us will find a way to take care of friends and family, it's the OTHER that seems to be a growing problem.

See, there's part of that slippery slope that I'm worried about.

EX: The Texans advertise selling your tickets on Stubhub. The NFL advertises selling them through TicketExchange
1. I put my tickets on Stubhub / Ticket Exchange and some Cryboys fan buys 'em.
2. Said Cryboys fan shows up and gets into an altercation.
3. Texans tell me that my PSL is in danger of being revoked.

Really? You mean I used an NFL/TEXANS "sponsored" vendor to perform a ticket transaction (that they fully ENCOURAGE) and I'm being penalized for it? If this EVER happens, expect a really large lawsuit over it. Heck, what if I donated it to charity on the Texans site and the kid causes trouble?

Unlike flying as a pass-rider using my wife's benefits, this isn't some company benefit that I'm utilizing for reduced / no charge here. This is a multi-billion dollar industry that I pay FULL PRICE for tickets to. Tickets are publicly available for anyone to buy. I am NOT responsible for 3rd-party conduct for an entity I can't possibly even know (if on Stubhub, etc.)

How does this relate to the Texans NEW policy? They are stating (in no uncertain terms) that the PSL holder will be liable for the conduct of anyone using these new passes. In my view, if the Texans / NFL are facilitating that exchange through a website THEY are promoting, then they are just as responsible for that conduct.

They are trying to keep people from buying and selling them for a profit like the 50 or so passes on Ebay, ie a broker could lose his seats, this should minimize their buying and selling

I see both sides, but hate having to shell out another $160 per season after I already pay for my 70 year old mom and 67 year old aunts parking pass. That is now $390 for them just to drive in, watch our tailgating stuff, and watch it on TV. There has to be a better way to control the parking (LIKE CHECKING PARKING PASSES at any tailgate using one without a car in it).

Looks like this 'new' policy could be a part of a trend with NFL teams:

League trend

A review of guidelines at several stadiums found that other NFL teams are moving their tailgaters farther away from stadiums or instituting stricter rules.

In Chicago, the Bears prohibit fans without tickets from being in stadium parking lots during the game. According to newspaper reports, that was done to discourage drunkenness and troublemakers.

Like the Cowboys, the Washington Redskins also announced they were moving tailgaters to the back of some of their lots.

Hans Steiniger, a Detroit resident who is documenting his tour of every NFL stadium at his Quest for 31 Web site, said tailgating is much less of a free-for-all than it once was. Teams and the league seem to be much more concerned about fire safety, security and cutting down on drunkenness.

Source: Dallas Cowboys fans hope new tailgate rules don't spoil the party

When I first heard about the new policy, my immediate reaction was dislike. I'm a "don't tell me what to do" kind of person. However the more I've thought/read about it, I'm ok with it. Our tailgate is pretty tame anyway, so it doesn't really change our approach other than buying a few $10 passes.

I think it pisses people off right now because its an inconvenient and "not fun" change. Its all about paradigm. Lets say back in '02, tailgating wasn't allowed (like @ the Dome). Then lets say in '05, with tremendous fan feedback, tailgating became allowed for Texans games, but you had to have a game ticket and parking pass. Yay! Everyone would've been stoked.

As for the "just add more security" take.. I don't see why the Texans should be responsible for managing the 10's of thousands of extra people that decide to wander onto their property. They feel its not working, and they want to limit the # of peeps on their property.

My last full season of tailgating was 2008, and I went to a few games last year. It did seem like the hooligan factor was slowly increasing as time went on, more and more huge tailgates with massive speakers and lots of people staying in the lot during the game, beer bongs, jello shots, and other booze delivery gimmicks, and more of a party vibe and less of a family atmosphere like in the beginning.

I'm really not surprised that it's come to this, though, but I must admit that I have a low opinion of people in general and tend to expect the worst. They never seem to disappoint in that regard.

At least the organization is trying to do something instead of just ignoring the problems until they become too big and everyone loses the privilege of tailgating. Personally, if I was still a season ticket holder and going there every home game, I'd applaud this policy.

No, I don't agree that this is about the organization trying to do something. If that were the case, something would have been done long before.

One of the big problems is the huge tailgate setups that have their own DJ's, where you have to purchase wristbands to enter their tailgate so you can eat and mostly drink all you want and the like. These things are more like a night club than a tailgate and they get anywhere from 50 to 100 people or more coming out who do NOT go to the game.

And the Texans can be blamed for some of this because they sold the parking passes to some of these groups that aren't even there for football. We have a season ticket holder in our group that can't even purchase a parking pass because the Texans have no more to sell. Yeah, a season ticket holder can't get a parking pass.

I agree that there should be a limit to the amount of people that can be out there. I mean, I get that you can't have 15-20,000 extra people just showing up on top of the 70,000 that go to the game. I get that. What I don't get is trying to make laws and policies thinking you're going to keep people from being stupid. That can't be done. And since it can't be done, I think it's wrong to make the people who go out there and do this the way the TEXANS have encouraged and promoted for 8+ years, be the ones to have to pay for this stupidity from a few.

My daughter and her boyfriend like to come out and spend some time with the family and soak in the great atmosphere of a Texans tailgate. He's a big fan and likes to go to the game. She is not a big sports fan and would rather hang out at our camp with a couple of friends while we're at the game. AND the fact that we don't have to totally break down before we go in with them staying is a plus. Now, that can't happen, unless of course I pay for it.

So no, it seems less like the Texans are trying to do something and more like a way for them to make a few extra bucks. They haven't been corncerned about any of this for the 83 previous tailgates and now we're letting a group of opposing teams fans dictate how things are run on our own home turf.

Again, I agree there probably should be a limit, but am disappointed how the Texans are handling it and extremely disappointed that the ones who do it right, the ones that have made Houston Texans tailgating the best in the NFL, are the ones who have to be punished and pay.

8 years folks. 8 LONG years I've been tailgating out in the yellow lot. And now, boom, over. I didn't post on here yesterday because I was so flippin pissed that my post would have been taken down. Now, I've read some of these high horse posts on this thread and some of you that are a little more financially privileged than others need to get a grip. I've never purchased season tickets for the Texans. Why would I? Up to this point, its been a bad investment. And I love this team just as much as any one of you do. I've endured every crappy season and game just like anyone else, and I'm still their biggest supporter. On occasion, I've been able to purchase tickets when my money allowed it. Hell, I've gotten free tickets from others just because they would rather stay out and tailgate and let rabid ass go into the stadium and lose my voice. In 8 years, I've hardly ever missed a tailgate. Its been one of the joys out of my year.

And now, POOF! Over! I, along with some of my friends, would always help setup, breakdown, cook, clean, and entertain clients for the sponsors of the tailgate. We had a pretty nice setup, so it was a lot of fun just posting up in the parking lot and watching the game on the 50" HD tv that was built into the side of the trailer. We would also keep an eye on everything while people were inside the stadium. Fans from various teams such as the cowboys, Saints, 49ers, titans, Chargers, and Chiefs would often frequent out tailgate. They were all great football fans who absolutely LOVED our tailgate scene. Some would even root for the Texans. Hell, I've taken a few people over to that damn overpriced Go Texans store so that they could buy apparel. 8 years and we only had one incident. It occured last weekend with some drunken moron of a cowboy fan. But we handled it promptly without getting security involved. And this is by no means a shot a cowboy fans because one of my best friends works the tailgate with me every home game and is a huge girl fan (God help him). There have been many cowturd fan that has attended the tailgate and we've never had a problem out of any of them except for that one moron.

I moved away from Houston earlier this year because of my job (sigh), but I still rub pennies together to buy gas to drive back to Houston for Texans home games to tailgate. And now the Texans FO tells me that after 8 LONG years I'm no longer welcome!?! Screw em. I'll just hit the bar or stay my black ass at home and enjoy the game on my 60" Sony Wega Full 1080p HD projection screen. Enjoy your lame tailgating scene and increasingly empty stadium Boob. You will have earned it.

8 years folks. 8 LONG years I've been tailgating out in the yellow lot. And now, boom, over. I didn't post on here yesterday because I was so flippin pissed that my post would have been taken down. Now, I've read some of these high horse posts on this thread and some of you that are a little more financially privileged than others need to get a grip. I've never purchased season tickets for the Texans. Why would I? Up to this point, its been a bad investment. And I love this team just as much as any one of you do. I've endured every crappy season and game just like anyone else, and I'm still their biggest supporter. On occasion, I've been able to purchase tickets when my money allowed it. Hell, I've gotten free tickets from others just because they would rather stay out and tailgate and let rabid ass go into the stadium and lose my voice. In 8 years, I've hardly ever missed a tailgate. Its been one of the joys out of my year.

And now, POOF! Over! I, along with some of my friends, would always help setup, breakdown, cook, clean, and entertain clients for the sponsors of the tailgate. We had a pretty nice setup, so it was a lot of fun just posting up in the parking lot and watching the game on the 50" HD tv that was built into the side of the trailer. We would also keep an eye on everything while people were inside the stadium. Fans from various teams such as the cowboys, Saints, 49ers, titans, Chargers, and Chiefs would often frequent out tailgate. They were all great football fans who absolutely LOVED our tailgate scene. Some would even root for the Texans. Hell, I've taken a few people over to that damn overpriced Go Texans store so that they could buy apparel. 8 years and we only had one incident. It occured last weekend with some drunken moron of a cowboy fan. But we handled it promptly without getting security involved. And this is by no means a shot a cowboy fans because one of my best friends works the tailgate with me every home game and is a huge girl fan (God help him). There have been many cowturd fan that has attended the tailgate and we've never had a problem out of any of them except for that one moron.

I moved away from Houston earlier this year because of my job (sigh), but I still rub pennies together to buy gas to drive back to Houston for Texans home games to tailgate. And now the Texans FO tells me that after 8 LONG years I'm no longer welcome!?! Screw em. I'll just hit the bar or stay my black ass at home and enjoy the game on my 60" Sony Wega Full 1080p HD projection screen. Enjoy your lame tailgating scene and increasingly empty stadium Boob. You will have earned it.

So why is it over? Are you saying you're going to quit your beloved tailgating rather than shell out the ten dollars based on principal?

I am sorry that folks will have to shell out $10 now, but that doesn't seem like a deal breaker if you enjoy tailgating that much?

So why is it over? Are you saying you're going to quit your beloved tailgating rather than shell out the ten dollars based on principal?

I am sorry that folks will have to shell out $10 now, but that doesn't seem like a deal breaker if you enjoy tailgating that much?

It's not just the shelling out $10 for a pass. It's the limited amount they have available. And it's the Texans that created this guy's problem. They sold parking passes to non-ticket holders to build up their tailgating, which IMO helps build their fan base some, and now they're ripping the rug out from under them.

The incidents are going to continue to happen because there's stupid people out there. There's been incidents since day one. This is just doing the fans wrong.

I look at it as kind of a cover charge to get into a club.

it keeps some of the riff raft out .

It's not just the shelling out $10 for a pass. It's the limited amount they have available. And it's the Texans that created this guy's problem. They sold parking passes to non-ticket holders to build up their tailgating, which IMO helps build their fan base some, and now they're ripping the rug out from under them.

The incidents are going to continue to happen because there's stupid people out there. There's been incidents since day one. This is just doing the fans wrong.

To my knowledge the Texans ONLY sell parking passes to season ticket holders. Someone can correct me if that is not the case.

I agree there will always be incidents but the 'free party' crowd has been growing and growing and hopefully this will stop the growth of that crowd.

To my knowledge the Texans ONLY sell parking passes to season ticket holders. Someone can correct me if that is not the case.

I agree there will always be incidents but the 'free party' crowd has been growing and growing and hopefully this will stop the growth of that crowd.

I know tons of people that have passes and no tickets. You're right though, the Texans may not be the ones who sold it, but getting them from ticket brokers isn't much different.

And I agree with limiting the "free party" crowd. I think the 4 passes per season ticket account is a good idea. I just don't like that it has a max limit of 2,000. How many season ticket accounts are there? I'm guessing 99% of the accounts have 2 or more tickets attached. So even if there's 20,000 accounts, how many of those tailgate?

When the account holders are then held responsible for their guests, they'll put a little more thought into who they give their passes to. There doesn't have to be a $10 punishment for those of us who do no wrong out there, and there doesn't have to be a max limit of passes so that there's a mad scramble every freaking week to try and get passes.

This could be handled a whole lot better than the knee-jerk reaction the Texans are displaying.

I know tons of people that have passes and no tickets. You're right though, the Texans may not be the ones who sold it, but getting them from ticket brokers isn't much different.

And I agree with limiting the "free party" crowd. I think the 4 passes per season ticket account is a good idea. I just don't like that it has a max limit of 2,000. How many season ticket accounts are there? I'm guessing 99% of the accounts have 2 or more tickets attached. So even if there's 20,000 accounts, how many of those tailgate?

When the account holders are then held responsible for their guests, they'll put a little more thought into who they give their passes to. There doesn't have to be a $10 punishment for those of us who do no wrong out there, and there doesn't have to be a max limit of passes so that there's a mad scramble every freaking week to try and get passes.

This could be handled a whole lot better than the knee-jerk reaction the Texans are displaying.

Thinking about your comments, maybe the Texans should offer a refund to folks who want to turn their parking passes in.

As far as the limit we'll have to see how things play out. I was hoping the Texans would prohibit resale of them so they could make an effort to stop scalpers from buying 1900 of them and putting them on Ebay/Stubhub/etc.

I don't actually think it is knee jerk (though we know the Texans do knee jerk things - see the roof policy) - I think they talked to other teams and asked how they handled it, seems a decent amount of teams do this. Not sure why they didn't institute it in the off season, though.

Sorry to hear.

Lame tailgating scene and increasingly empty stadium?

HAHA, how about it will still be the NFL's best tailgating and that ticket sales are at an all time high!

Sorry to hear.

Lame tailgating scene and increasingly empty stadium?

HAHA, how about it will still be the NFL's best tailgating and that ticket sales are at an all time high!

As far as ticket sales...I believe those will always be at an all time high as they are every year but I seriously believe the status of being the number one tailgate city will change soon. If it does...so be it.

The 2000 limit is flexable, but finding these on ebay is Wrong Wrong Wrong. The texans need to find all these passes on ebay and stup hub and tag them to the season ticket holder and punish them by losing thier ticket.

I 100% agree Joe, but it won't happen.

Or at least make them be pull the tickets from Ebay and tell the folks if they are caught again their lose their PSL.

You can always hope that somebody buys them gets arrrested and then the seller would be responsible right..... I can see people paying for big games but the chiefs for about $35 each isn't gonna sell

You can always hope that somebody buys them gets arrrested and then the seller would be responsible right..... I can see people paying for big games but the chiefs for about $35 each isn't gonna sell

Even though I have sounded like a homer about this whole thing, I don't actually see the Texans revoking a PSL unless it was a very very extraordinary case.

I read in an article that the Texans were encouraging the sell of these tailgate passes to other fans.

I will find the article later when I have time, it was from one of the news station websites.

From the back of my parking pass: (at the top in 4 pt font)

This permit grants only to the holder a license for access to a designated parking facility and a license to use a designated parking space in that facility to park one non-commercial passenger automobile.

Under the section TAILGATING:

Will be limited to one 8' by 16' space for each valid parking hangtag, and must not cross over into the drive lane designated by the blue lines down each aisle. For safety purposes, all tents must be taken down before entering the statium.

(It also says permit not transferrable...yeah right!)

So, as it appears to me, the Texans are going to have a rough go THIS year telling somebody with a parking pass that they can't "tailgate" without a game ticket.

The biggest people this will affect are those that come to the tailgate trying to find/get a ticket. I'm truly sorry for them that it's come to this.

Why in the world would somebody pay $30-40 for a tailgate pass when they can get a 600 or 700 level game ticket for $50 or so?

Good point cheap tickets will go up in price and parking passes will drop, with some people buying the passes,Ive yet to see on sell for more than face value so far on ebay

From the back of my parking pass: (at the top in 4 pt font)

This permit grants only to the holder a license for access to a designated parking facility and a license to use a designated parking space in that facility to park one non-commercial passenger automobile.

Under the section TAILGATING:

Will be limited to one 8' by 16' space for each valid parking hangtag, and must not cross over into the drive lane designated by the blue lines down each aisle. For safety purposes, all tents must be taken down before entering the statium.

(It also says permit not transferrable...yeah right!)

So, as it appears to me, the Texans are going to have a rough go THIS year telling somebody with a parking pass that they can't "tailgate" without a game ticket.

The biggest people this will affect are those that come to the tailgate trying to find/get a ticket. I'm truly sorry for them that it's come to this.

So devil's advocate again.....

It they're only sold to season ticket holders, and they are not transferable, why do the Texans have any responsibility to people who buy them on the secondary market?

This sucks less people= Less fun it used be a big ol party and all the hot girls and what not now its going to be boring VIlle its going to be like tailgating at a jags game THanks Old people for ruining the fun : (

This sucks less people= Less fun it used be a big ol party and all the hot girls and what not now its going to be boring VIlle its going to be like tailgating at a jags game THanks Old people for ruining the fun : (

What?!!! Don't you be blaming us old folks you damn young whippersnapper! :bat:

What?!!! Don't you be blaming us old folks you damn young whippersnapper! :bat:

it just sucks man my family has been tailgating for years and now some of our friends and family wont be able to come to the games anymore

it just sucks all around

So devil's advocate again.....

It they're only sold to season ticket holders, and they are not transferable, why do the Texans have any responsibility to people who buy them on the secondary market?

How about the Season ticket holder themselves? What if I wanted to tailgate and send two people in for my seats? What about people who have lots of tickets and only one parking pass?

Once again - If none of this stuff is transferrable, why did the Texans organization put NFL.com/ticketexchange stuff on my seat this year? As unauthorized advertising is prohibited, the Texans can't really "act dumb" here.

Once again - If none of this stuff is transferrable, why did the Texans organization put NFL.com/ticketexchange stuff on my seat this year? As unauthorized advertising is prohibited, the Texans can't really "act dumb" here.

You know as well as I do!!! ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). :kitten:

You know as well as I do!!! ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). :kitten:

No doubt. This just seems short-sighted if that's the goal. How many of those non-ticketed tailgaters come into Bud Plaza to shop at the store?

We need a Tailgating Stimulus Package! :thisbig:

No doubt. This just seems short-sighted if that's the goal. How many of those non-ticketed tailgaters come into Bud Plaza to shop at the store?

We need a Tailgating Stimulus Package! :thisbig:

I did say (in this thread, maybe??) the Texans should offer to buy back parking passes from folks who want to turn them in. I doubt they will, but that would be fair.

No, I don't agree that this is about the organization trying to do something. If that were the case, something would have been done long before.

One of the big problems is the huge tailgate setups that have their own DJ's, where you have to purchase wristbands to enter their tailgate so you can eat and mostly drink all you want and the like. These things are more like a night club than a tailgate and they get anywhere from 50 to 100 people or more coming out who do NOT go to the game.

And the Texans can be blamed for some of this because they sold the parking passes to some of these groups that aren't even there for football. We have a season ticket holder in our group that can't even purchase a parking pass because the Texans have no more to sell. Yeah, a season ticket holder can't get a parking pass.

I agree that there should be a limit to the amount of people that can be out there. I mean, I get that you can't have 15-20,000 extra people just showing up on top of the 70,000 that go to the game. I get that. What I don't get is trying to make laws and policies thinking you're going to keep people from being stupid. That can't be done. And since it can't be done, I think it's wrong to make the people who go out there and do this the way the TEXANS have encouraged and promoted for 8+ years, be the ones to have to pay for this stupidity from a few.

My daughter and her boyfriend like to come out and spend some time with the family and soak in the great atmosphere of a Texans tailgate. He's a big fan and likes to go to the game. She is not a big sports fan and would rather hang out at our camp with a couple of friends while we're at the game. AND the fact that we don't have to totally break down before we go in with them staying is a plus. Now, that can't happen, unless of course I pay for it.

So no, it seems less like the Texans are trying to do something and more like a way for them to make a few extra bucks. They haven't been corncerned about any of this for the 83 previous tailgates and now we're letting a group of opposing teams fans dictate how things are run on our own home turf.

Again, I agree there probably should be a limit, but am disappointed how the Texans are handling it and extremely disappointed that the ones who do it right, the ones that have made Houston Texans tailgating the best in the NFL, are the ones who have to be punished and pay.

If it it was only about money, the Texans would have never endorsed tailgating and forced fans to buy the crappy stadium food like the previous owner.

You really think this is about $20,000 to a multi-billion dollar corporation?? That's funny.

The fact of the matter is that their paying customers - season ticket holders - for the most part AGREE with this new policy change. So the Texans have decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but guess what, I bet you still pay up next year for season tickets and still tailgate. What difference does it make to them that you're upset about it now?

Your first statement reminds me of an Abe Lincoln quote: "If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five? No, calling a tail a leg don't make it a leg."

Just because you don't think the Texans are not doing something does not mean that they are, in fact, not doing something. This entire thread is devoted to the franchise doing something, regardless if you like/dislike what they are doing doesn't change the fact that they are doing something.

They could just ban tailgating altogether, and then, I guess, you'd think that they were doing something. :winky:

Back