Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New HC candidates

What do you guys think about Josh McDaniels?

If we hire Lovie we are gonna need a damn good OC. It also means we're gonna switch to a 4-3 defense.

Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

Mike Holmgren took 2 different teams to superbowls. That's my dude.

Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

I thought McNair said head coaching experience, not specifically nfl.

I thought McNair said head coaching experience, not specifically nfl.

That is how i took it too..

I don't think the quote about NFL coaching experience means that it had to be HC in the NFL. O'Brien is a HC and has NFL experience...just not NFL HC experience. So a great college HC with [past NFL ties would probably work if they interviewed well.

When you look at recent SB winning coaches, you've got guys who had previous SUCCESSFUL NFL HC experience (Belichik, Dungy, Gruden, Vermeil, Coughlin) but who hadn't won a SB and you've got guys with NFL Coordinator experience (Harbaugh, Payton, McCarthy, Billick).

However, there are a lot of coordinators who get NFL HC jobs and fail. So... if given the choice... I'd prefer someone who had previous successful NFL HC experience but who have not won a SB. Lovie Smith fits that bill. Unfortunately, so do guys like Brad Childress and Jack Del Rio. (EDIT: And Whisenhunt...)

If Rex Ryan gets fired from the Jets, he's an option even though I dislike the guy.

I think not wanting a guy because he's won a superbowl before is the silliest thing I've heard when looking for a new coach.

You look at them as individuals and what they are going to bring to your team. That's it.

All that bs about former suberbowl winning head coaches is a dumb stat. It's the same kind if thinking that leads to kubiak support and Matt Schaub devotion.

Are you sure?

I thought he said "head coaching experience," but didn't specify "NFL."

Transcript, please.

He said he prefers a coach with head coaching experience. No mention of it needing to be NFL head coaching. McClain also said on NFL network that they would absolutely look at David Shaw. Hopefully that is true.

I think not wanting a guy because he's won a superbowl before is the silliest thing I've heard when looking for a new coach.

You look at them as individuals and what they are going to bring to your team. That's it.

All that bs about former suberbowl winning head coaches is a dumb stat. It's the same kind if thinking that leads to kubiak support and Matt Schaub devotion.

Well.

How many guys have won a SB as a coach and then come back and coached another team to win a SB?

If you want to hire the next George Seifert, go ahead.

Absolutely! Just one of The stupidest takes out there.

Well.

How many guys have won a SB as a coach and then come back and coached another team to win a SB?

If you want to hire the next George Seifert, go ahead.

Who cares.

How many OC's with the name Gary kubiak went on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach?

You had no problem supporting him.

If belichick, Payton, McCarthy, Tomlinson and harbaugh were fired today, you aren't considering any of them simply because they've won a superbowl before.

That's silly.

You evaluate them as individuals. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen. It's just a stat. People make break throughs all the time.

First person to do this, first person to do that... Whatever. You'd miss out on a lot of those "firsts" if no one gave those people a shot.

I just think it's asinine to rule someone out because of that. Evaluate their ability.

OK. So. Rey, Mussop... who do you want?

Do you want Cowher? He's won a SB. It took him 14 years to do it and he coached for 15 years (6-10 his last season). People in Pittsburgh were calling for him to be fired even after he got his team to the AFC Championship game several times because of how many times he'd gotten there and lost. He had a reputation as a coach who couldn't win the big one.

Do you want Tony Dungy? He's won a SB. But he had a reputation as a coach who couldn't win the big one and even though he was a "defensive genius", he never could get that Indy defense up to snuff. He basically just rode Peyton's coat-tails to his SB.

Do you want Gruden? After taking Dungy's TB team to the SB and winning, he was a failure in TB. In the 6 years after that, he made the playoffs twice and lost in the Wild Card round both times.

Do you want Billick? He rode Marvin Lewis' great defense to a championship and never could draft or develop a QB. After his OC stint in Minnesota, he was supposed to be an offensive genius but his offense was mostly crap.

So which SB winning coach do you think is out there that's so much better than any of the other options?

John Clayton's additions...

Mike Shanahan, head coach, Washington Redskins

"What?" you might ask. If he's let go in Washington or if he re-signs but he's asked to fire his son, Shanahan would have no problem with a quick transition in Houston. Shanahan and Kubiak run the same type of offense. Shanahan proved last year he could work with a rookie quarterback in taking Robert Griffin III to the playoffs. If the Texans are drafting a quarterback and Shanahan is available, it's an easy fit.

Ken Whisenhunt, offensive coordinator, San Diego Chargers

He'll be a strong candidate because he's won in Arizona and he's a great coach working with quarterbacks. His presence in San Diego has helped Philip Rivers bounce back after a couple of off seasons.

Tom Cable, assistant head coach Seattle Seahawks

Cable is a master of working with the offensive line, and his zone-blocking scheme would be a good fit in Houston. He has head coaching experience in Oakland.

Hue Jackson, assistant coach, Cincinnati Bengals

Like Cable, Jackson was the head coach in Oakland and does a good job working with an offense and young quarterbacks. If McNair is looking to rebuild the offense, Jackson is a consideration.

Who cares.

How many OC's with the name Gary kubiak went on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach?

You had no problem supporting him.

If belichick, Payton, McCarthy, Tomlinson and harbaugh were fired today, you aren't considering any of them simply because they've won a superbowl before.

That's silly.

You evaluate them as individuals. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen. It's just a stat. People make break throughs all the time.

First person to do this, first person to do that... Whatever. You'd miss out on a lot of those "firsts" if no one gave those people a shot.

I just think it's asinine to rule someone out because of that. Evaluate their ability.

That's fine. Evaluate their ability. Show me the SB winning coach that's out there right now that you think is going to be the first one to break the SB winning coach jinx.

If Belichik gets fired, I hire him. If McCarthy gets fired, I don't. If Harbaugh gets fired, I don't.

Why?

Because that's my evaluation of how successful I think they're going to be in another situation.

I think his point was that using Superbowl wins solely to rule out candidates was a bad idea.

No.... It wasn't. That's what I am saying.

He and others (mainly kubiak and Schaub supporters) have been saying for years how no former Super Bowl winning head coach has ever win one again with another team. Which is true but so what.

I think the problem with hiring a guy without hc experience is the break in period. I mean kubiak got better as a coach,because in nfl its not just coach. Its the media obligations,the owner and bean counter meeting. Its not just the coaching aspect. I like Holmgren a lot more than others.

Just say no to Wade Phillips. Please.

82W 59L regular season record.
1W 5L post season record.

That's like keeping teams from getting lots of yards but giving up tons of points. Sound familiar?

Wouldn't Mike Shanahan just be an older version of Gary Kubiak? If we were going in that direction, I'd rather just have his son Kyle instead. At least bring in a younger guy with a brighter future. Our offense has seemingly gone down hill ever since we lost Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator.

Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Bill Cowher

My top 5

No.... It wasn't. That's what I am saying.

He and others (mainly kubiak and Schaub supporters) have been saying for years how no former Super Bowl winning head coach has ever win one again with another team. Which is true but so what.

And what I've said several times when I've brought this stat up is... do you think THIS SB winning coach is going to be the one to break the jinx?

People like you want Cowher or Gruden JUST because they've won a SB. Because... OH! They have to be GREAT coaches if they've won a SB.

And that's NOT the case. If that was the case, then SB winning coaches would be successful with other teams. They're not.

So you don't put those guys at the top of the list just because they've won a SB. You have to judge them on their merit. Gruden, Cowher, Billick, and Dungy haven't done anything in their coaching careers to make me believe that they can rekindle the magic that they were able to get in their one special season.

I've been touting Bill O'Brien all year long. He was the coordinator in NE after McDaniels left and has done a fantastic job at Penn State, considering the situation that program is in.

I think he can definitely develop a QB. He has that true freshman QB at Penn State looking like a future All-American.

Josh-McDaniels2.jpg

Yes, I posted Josh McDaniels! I think he will learn from his mistakes in Denver just like his mentor did in Cleveland. Minimize his absolute power like he had in Denver and he can be pretty good.

McNair loves him some "Patriot Way" so I see this as a huge possibility.

I think the problem with hiring a guy without hc experience is the break in period. I mean kubiak got better as a coach,because in nfl its not just coach. Its the media obligations,the owner and bean counter meeting. Its not just the coaching aspect. I like Holmgren a lot more than others.

I'm intrigued by Holmgren but is there any evidence to suggest he is itching or even willing to come back as a coach?

If Lovie Smith is the guy then Philips has to go (fine by me) those guys would not agree on defensive philosophy.

I'll throw some chum in the water. Art Briles. Offensive whiz, good ol boy network keeps growing strong, you can keep Philips and the climax?

Trade down to about 7-8 and draft Johnny Football. Dun dun duuuuuun!!

Would be my first choice to fill the void.
Bill Cowher
Ken Whisenhunt
Lovie Smith

These would be my second choice.
Jon Gruden
Todd Bowles

I'm not going to pretend I know who'll be a good coach for us, but I sure hope we'd give Zimmer a looksee despite what McNair said. We need to grow some balls as a team, hold players and staff accountable. I can see Zimmer doing that. He's aggressive and knows what the heck he wants to do when he wants to do it.

I like Shaw too. He's practically the opposite of what Zimmer seems to be. Honestly, I'm not sure why I like him. Maybe because he seems like he just knows what's up (if you know what I mean)

I want to do away with using the ZBS as our base offense. I'd like to see power running. Keep DB, Brooks and find some ruthless fatties via draft or FA

Those are my top 2. As if it even matters, but for discussion sake...

If Lovie Smith is the guy then Philips has to go (fine by me) those guys would not agree on defensive philosophy.

I'll throw some chum in the water. Art Brilbeabeatt Offensive whiz, good ol boy network keeps growing strong, you can keep Philips and the climax?

You and norg have the worst ideas in the world. Just stop making suggestions.

Get Ray Horton and bring in a great up and comer as offensive coordinator. This defense needs help and wade is washed up. Horton has been consistent this entire decade so he knows hOw to beat passing teams.

Don't believe so. There is however a WCO, QB guy, HC out there who has - Steve Mariucci.

I like the guys analysis on NFLN. Interesting thought, but for some reason I can't see him here. It doesn't really matter because whoever they hire some of us will love it and some will be predicting doom and gloom. LOL

I wouldn't mind Whisenhunt. I think that guy gets a bit of a bad rap.

I also wouldn't mind Zimmer. I just want the team to play hard, smart, but not dirty. Penalties and turnovers kill teams.

I mean, there are a lot of guys I don't mind, a lot of guys I don't want, and a lot of guys I simply would have to see play out before developing an opinion (mostly the college guys).

If Lovie can get over some of the things that plagued him in his time with the Bears, he's probably the best guy to take the job.

David Shaw is the top of my list, but all indications are that he's happy at Stanford and considers it his lifelong "dream job".

Get Ray Horton and bring in a great up and comer as offensive coordinator. This defense needs help and wade is washed up. Horton has been consistent this entire decade so he knows hOw to beat passing teams.

Well said.

Ray Horton is awesome. He's my only pick. And hopefully we can find an awesome OC, GM, and ST guy that he lets do their thing (they all gotta go).

I don't know about yall, but I've been tired of these slow speaking, stammering, emotionless B's running this organization sideways for 8 years. Ray Horton will NOT be that guy. He will get wild and get the most out of his guys while avoiding becoming a Greg Schiano.

Ray Horton comes from the best defensive mindsets and everywhere he goes a top 5 defense follows. Coincidence? No. Added benefit he works in a 3-4.

You have the worst sense of humor, why don't you relax and have fun with life and stop being such a hard ass, if you even had a glimmer of comprehension you would have noticed the joke.

Yea Horton, brilliant!

David Shaw is the top of my list, but all indications are that he's happy at Stanford and considers it his lifelong "dream job".

Saw this earlier. I'm not sure it holds much water, but
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h
. @McClain_on_NFL says he believes the #Texans will look at Stanford coach David Shaw. He hasn’t closed the door on an NFL job. Interesting.

That's fine. Evaluate their ability. Show me the SB winning coach that's out there right now that you think is going to be the first one to break the SB winning coach jinx.

If Belichik gets fired, I hire him. If McCarthy gets fired, I don't. If Harbaugh gets fired, I don't.

Why?

Because that's my evaluation of how successful I think they're going to be in another situation.

I also totally agree. When you don't read what you're saying you think it sounds stupid, but if you actually read it, it makes sense. You're saying those SPECIFIC guys and their methods are old and washed up. They won their super bowl, but they are losers today.

Who are the best coaches in the NFL today? Out of the box thinkers that were given a chance to be what they are today, not re-used washouts. And John Fox isn't a coach, he's Peyton Manning's new ass puppet. Andy Reid and Pete Carroll are pretty awesome though.

Totally disagree about Harbaugh though bro. Both are awesome.

I also totally agree. When you don't read what you're saying you think it sounds stupid, but if you actually read it, it makes sense. You're saying those SPECIFIC guys and their methods are old and washed up. They won their super bowl, but they are losers today.

Who are the best coaches in the NFL today? Out of the box thinkers that were given a chance to be what they are today, not re-used washouts. And John Fox isn't a coach, he's Peyton Manning's new ass puppet. Andy Reid and Pete Carroll are pretty awesome though.

Totally disagree about Harbaugh though bro. Both are awesome.

With Harbaugh, I'm not convinced that it's not all Ozzie Newsome. With McCarthy, I'm not convinced it's not all Rodgers.

Reid and Carroll exemplify what I'm talking about wrt coaches who had some success as NFL HCs coming back and looking like they have a shot to win a SB.

I'll throw some chum in the water. Art Briles. Offensive whiz, good ol boy network keeps growing strong, you can keep Philips and the climax?

The only thing about Art Briles is he doesn't fit McNair's requirements. He has no NFL experience.

Someone explain to me the reasoning behind Shaw. I see quite a bit of potential but he has the same "talented OC" background that Kubiak had... and you tell me how that worked out. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but doesn't he seem a little unproven?

With Harbaugh, I'm not convinced that it's not all Ozzie Newsome. With McCarthy, I'm not convinced it's not all Rodgers.

Reid and Carroll exemplify what I'm talking about wrt coaches who had some success as NFL HCs coming back and looking like they have a shot to win a SB.

With McCarthy, I am pretty sure everyone in the world, including McCarthy is now convinced it's all Rodgers.

Ozzie is arguably the best GM in the game, not many can argue, with that said it was his choosing of Harbaugh and Harbaugh getting it done. Dude hasn't had a losing season yet (this one's not over) and fired an OC mid season and still won the SB with the direction change. He can adapt in the NFL which is the problem with these old school coaches. They want to fit a square peg into a circle hole all day because it used to work for them. His resume of winning seasons and deep playoff runs speaks volumes, even with the brain trust known as Ozzie backing him.

Someone explain to me the reasoning behind Shaw. I see quite a bit of potential but he has the same "talented OC" background that Kubiak had... and you tell me how that worked out. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, but doesn't he seem a little unproven?

He's Stanford's head coach.

He's the only head coach in NCAA history to have a 100% graduation rate for senior players in a single year. The guy emphasizes being a warrior on the field and in the classroom, and he has pulled off some big wins since Harbaugh left (without Luck too). He's everything you could ask for in a coach as a human being and a leader, he's a great speaker, very well mannered, and really seems to care about his players. He runs a pro-style offense at Stanford, but how well he can compete at this level is TBD. I think he's a good option, but not my first pick. He is most definitely a Bob McNair kind of guy and will definitely be considered if he tells his agent to pursue it.

I'm having Déjà vu of 2006 all over again.
New head coach coming in to a team with a big question mark playing the QB position. Tells the owner whatever he needs to tell him to convince him he can win with that QB. Sticks with that QB past the point of reason because he married himself to the QB trying to get the gig.

:voodoo:

Back