Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New HC candidates

This team is 2-14, and the GM who had an integral part in building it is still here. Debate all you want about his amount of power, if he can't take credit for the current state of the team, then he shouldn't have a job in the first place. Either he was an integral part of the Texans organization the last 5 years that has come full circle to a 2-14 record, or he's a useless yes-man that isn't worth keeping around in the first place.

So how bad does Kansas City's GM look now? How 'bout them Cardinals?

Thanks for making my point for me. Rick gets ALL the blame for Reed.

He never even asked Wade about Reed, just signed him. Don't even consult you DC before signing a starter?

I rest my case.
Ed Reed was a BOB McNAIR pick. It was Uncle Bob who sent his plane to fetch Ed Reed. If you want to "blame" anyone for the Ed Reed decision, blame the bossman.

I think the word you're looking for is "figurehead"

cstylewhatever is saying that Rick is a token...

I hope that's not what you're saying.

It looks like it will take you 5 more years to figure out Rick Smith true role like it took 5 years to figure out Matt Schaub and David Carr are who they are. Only in Houston...

It looks like it will take you 5 more years to figure out Rick Smith true role like it took 5 years to figure out Matt Schaub and David Carr are who they are. Only in Houston...

Your mistake here is believing that people are always the same person.

The Matt Schaub that led the league in passing is a different person than the Matt Schaub that came back after his foot injury. The David Carr that was too scared to throw to anyone was a different guy than the one who was averaging 270 yards per game at the beginning of the 2004 season.

I don't know Rick Smith's true role because I'm not in the meetings, I'm not in the war-room during the drafts, I'm not the one hearing what the owner and coaches are saying. And neither are you. I don't know if Rick Smith should be fired because I don't know which decisions were strictly his and which decisions were ones he got over-ridden on. Bob McNair should know who is responsible for which screw-ups because he was there and he took part.

So I'm willing to wait and see.

So how bad does Kansas City's GM look now? How 'bout them Cardinals?

That Chiefs GM is currently working for NBC, and that Cardinals GM is now working for the Jets. If your saying those two teams should serve as models for the Texans (at least as far as how to deal with the GM), then I completely concur.

If Cleveland is dumb enough to let the rest of the coaching staff leave with Chud, I'd love to see us grab Horton as DC; him as DC and O'Brien as HC would be the best of both worlds.

Really. Just how desperate for a HCing job would a candidate have to be to sign on with that circus of a franchise? Lombardi and all. Geeze.

Interestingly enough, just a little while ago they had the Browns press conference, and Lombardi was not a part of it. I wonder how involved he was in this coaching decision.

Is Wade going back to Dallas as their new DC?????

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 3m

WadePhillips on Texans search4head coach:"It's unsettling4me because I'm building a house.I'm trying2get out of Dallas&I may have 2 go back"

Is Wade going back to Dallas as their new DC?????

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 3m

WadePhillips on Texans search4head coach:"It's unsettling4me because I'm building a house.I'm trying2get out of Dallas&I may have 2 go back"

He has a house in Dallas, and his son (I think) is the Cowboys TE coach. So, unless there is a job for him in Houston, he might just move back to be closer with family.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Kubiak end up in Cleveland. Either as a HC or an OC.

They've said they're interested in the Broncos OC and the Seahawks... DC, iirc. Both very young guys that don't have a ton of experience.

And they're both guys that aren't going to be available for a couple of weeks, at least.

So that's an interesting approach.

They've said they're interested in the Broncos OC and the Seahawks... DC, iirc. Both very young guys that don't have a ton of experience.

And they're both guys that aren't going to be available for a couple of weeks, at least.

So that's an interesting approach.

Gase is getting a lot of run from some of the media folks. He could do well for them.

Your mistake here is believing that people are always the same person.

The Matt Schaub that led the league in passing is a different person than the Matt Schaub that came back after his foot injury. The David Carr that was too scared to throw to anyone was a different guy than the one who was averaging 270 yards per game at the beginning of the 2004 season.

I don't know Rick Smith's true role because I'm not in the meetings, I'm not in the war-room during the drafts, I'm not the one hearing what the owner and coaches are saying. And neither are you. I don't know if Rick Smith should be fired because I don't know which decisions were strictly his and which decisions were ones he got over-ridden on. Bob McNair should know who is responsible for which screw-ups because he was there and he took part.

So I'm willing to wait and see.
Your mistake is not understanding that either a guy has the "it" factor or they don't. Carr nor Schaub had it. Schaub proved that all the years he was here. At least Carr could say the team sucked.

David Carr would have been much better, maybe not great but I feel very good if it weren't for how the organization handled him. Chris Palmer killed Carr's career IMO.

Your mistake is not understanding that either a guy has the "it" factor or they don't. Carr nor Schaub had it. Schaub proved that all the years he was here. At least Carr could say the team sucked.

Oh, of course. The IT factor.

Seriously?

Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Joe Flacco laugh at your IT factor.

That's exactly what I'm saying about Rick Smith in the Texans organization. Not every GM in the nfl.

I think your full of it. Rick Smith is not a token, he's a good GM. Those who think otherwise just want EVERYBODY FIRED ALL THE TIME! I've worked with people like that and they are not successful, at least for very long.

With the exception of Dilfer & Johnson, those guys have BIG "I" IT factor. Big difference.

Where were Brady and Warner drafted? They did NOT have the IT factor until they'd been in the league for a couple of years. Neither of them were supposed to be the QB of the team they took to the SB the first time they went.

Now. After they were in the league a few years and had proven themselves and developed, they were awesome and indeed, had the IT factor. But they didn't have it coming out of college.

And Flacco? Dude is not a great QB.

Where were Brady and Warner drafted? They did NOT have the IT factor until they'd been in the league for a couple of years. Neither of them were supposed to be the QB of the team they took to the SB the first time they went.

Now. After they were in the league a few years and had proven themselves and developed, they were awesome and indeed, had the IT factor. But they didn't have it coming out of college.

Agree. I only said they've got "IT" not arguing how/when they acquired it.

And Flacco? Dude is not a great QB.

No doubt. Neither is Luck. But both are well on their way. They remind me of Brady, who was also not a great QB his first 4 years in the league.

There was a time when I used to laugh at the QB "competition" where many would say Brady was the best, others would say Peyton. Brady didn't have the skills to compete with Peyton. He was clutch, where Peyton was not, but Peyton was hands down the better of the two.

Now.... Brady is as good as Peyton ever was & Peyton still is not clutch.

Flacco is getting long in the tooth & may never be as good. Luck... 10 years from now, scary.

Agree. I only said they've got "IT" not arguing how/when they acquired it.

But that was really the point of the discussion. You can't rely on a player having "IT" when he comes out of college being the determining factor on whether you can win a SB with him. A lot of QBs have "IT" in college and fail in the pros while other QBs develop "IT" once they get to the pros. And then there are teams that win despite the QB not having "IT".

I think your full of it. Rick Smith is not a token, he's a good GM. Those who think otherwise just want EVERYBODY FIRED ALL THE TIME! I've worked with people like that and they are not successful, at least for very long.

Think what you think just keep buying tickets keep the faith lol

Just wanted to quote this because it's too funny not to be on this page.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Kubiak end up in Cleveland. Either as a HC or an OC.

I hope so. Something tells me Kubiak is waiting for Sumlin's inevitable departure from College Station to become the A&M head coach. Just a weird (and somewhat sickening) hunch.

No.

They're laughing at anyone who judges a QB on the IT factor.

That's all Schaub was ever missing. The ability to make the right big play in the biggest moments when it really counted outside that he was a good system qb. The "it" factor measures that. Foster helped hide that as well as other players on offense. Schaub was not just bad he was horrible when it came to showing up big in a positive way in big games. Ultimately that makes or breaks most qb's in this league but Schaub ended his tenure here still throwing picks in big moments. If that's something to laugh at then whatever...

But that was really the point of the discussion. You can't rely on a player having "IT" when he comes out of college being the determining factor on whether you can win a SB with him. A lot of QBs have "IT" in college and fail in the pros while other QBs develop "IT" once they get to the pros. And then there are teams that win despite the QB not having "IT".

I think there's a big difference. College guys have the "it" factor. Peyton, Brady, Rogers have the "IT" factor.

The question is whether those college QBs can translate their "it" into "IT"

But I never argued "it" should be the determining factor.

That's all Schaub was ever missing. The ability to make the right big play in the biggest moments when it really counted outside that he was a good system qb. The "it" factor measures that. Foster helped hide that as well as other players on offense. Schaub was not just bad he was horrible when it came to showing up big in a positive way in big games. Ultimately that makes or breaks most qb's in this league but Schaub ended his tenure here still throwing picks in big moments. If that's something to laugh at then whatever...

The "IT" factor is BS. The "IT" factor is not a measurable.

Do you realize that prior to his foot injury, Schaub had a 120 rating against the blitz? How many times prior to the 2011 season did Schaub show up at the end of a game just to be let down by his defense or his kicker? After his foot injury, he was a totally different guy. It took a while for defenses to realize it but once they did, he was toast.

Your "IT" factor is just looking at a successful guy and then saying he's got the "IT" factor because he's successful. It's a classic tautology.

Coming out of college, Tom Brady didn't have the "IT" factor; he couldn't even clearly win the QB job at his own college. And his first couple of years in the league, he wasn't that good. And if it hadn't been for a little known rule that's no longer on the books, he wouldn't have won that first SB and he probably would have had his hands full beating out Bledsoe for the Patriots job.

Oh... but now... after a successful career and with 20-20 hindsight, Tom Brady has "IT".

I think there's a big difference. College guys have the "it" factor. Peyton, Brady, Rogers have the "IT" factor.

The question is whether those college QBs can translate their "it" into "IT"

But I never argued "it" should be the determining factor.

No, but cstyle is and that's who my original posts regarding "IT" were in response to.

"IT" is just "Success" or "Big Plays At Big Times." Lots of guys in college make those big plays and would appear to have "IT" and lots of guys wouldn't. But that has very little relation to how they perform in the pros because they're in a different situation with different caliber of players.

And that's my point.

Some people prefer the Skip Bayless / Steven A Smith reasoning of not bothering to look any deeper than the surface. Analyzing a player's ability, what he does in certain situation, what are his strengths, weaknesses, etc, etc, etc, is too time consuming and requires a certain knowledge of the subject matter. It's much easier to just get all emotional and declare that someone doesn't have the "it" factor and therefore will never win "the big one" based on one's "eyeball test."

No, but cstyle is and that's who my original posts regarding "IT" were in response to.

"IT" is just "Success" or "Big Plays At Big Times." Lots of guys in college make those big plays and would appear to have "IT" and lots of guys wouldn't. But that has very little relation to how they perform in the pros because they're in a different situation with different caliber of players.

And that's my point.

Yep ... in the pros , IT means I will do above and beyond what it takes to win this week .

Too many times this was mentioned in relationship to Matt Schaub so in reply to all of the above. QBR is bull****. Even the former players on all the major football pre-games acknowledge it means nothing.

I will take Brett Favre's and Peyton Manning's desire to rip your heart out over QBR any day.

David Carr would have been much better, maybe not great but I feel very good if it weren't for how the organization handled him. Chris Palmer killed Carr's career IMO.

Palmer didn't kill Carr . Carr had bad mechanics which means he never took to coaching . He probably had his dad in his ear the whole time , like QB75 was some expert or something . :kitten:

Do you realize that prior to his foot injury, Schaub had a 120 rating against the blitz? How many times prior to the 2011 season did Schaub show up at the end of a game just to be let down by his defense or his kicker? After his foot injury, he was a totally different guy. It took a while for defenses to realize it but once they did, he was toast.

Your "IT" factor is just looking at a successful guy and then saying he's got the "IT" factor because he's successful. It's a classic tautology.

Coming out of college, Tom Brady didn't have the "IT" factor; he couldn't even clearly win the QB job at his own college. And his first couple of years in the league, he wasn't that good. And if it hadn't been for a little known rule that's no longer on the books, he wouldn't have won that first SB and he probably would have had his hands full beating out Bledsoe for the Patriots job.

Oh... but now... after a successful career and with 20-20 hindsight, Tom Brady has "IT".
Will Schaub lead a team to a AFC Championship game in his career? Did his qbr take the texans there? Tom Brady is successful because he shows up in big games. Does he win every year? No. He has won games... late 4th quarter with seconds left games... he has done that many many times. The texans wasn't even asking Schaub to be Brady... just be half of Brady but don't literally lose the games for us. Most were in denial about Schaub but if you are honest about it Schaub was overrated hence the contract the texans signed him to. I know this thread is about the future head coach Bill O'Brien who would have had Schaub outta here or benched all long time ago.

And that's my point.

Nope you assumed I'm making all about the "it" factor. It's not when evaluating every qb. It's just with Schaub it's a glaring weakness that plagues him. The other facets of his game was acceptable and understood by most to be average to good.

Back