Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My fav hobby horse - the run game.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Anyone who knows even a little about football knows the importance of the ground game to have a balanced attack.
It becomes not only important, but imperative with a rookie QB.
It gives him an out and adds variation to the offense. The "out" is he can hand it off quicker than he can finding a target to throw to.
This is important against a potent rushing attack or even if you have a porous Oline - it saves him getting sacked continually. This takes a lot of pressure off him to have to throw so often.
I mentioned the Oline - they are key to a potent run game as they open the holes for the RB.
Most of us are familiar with the old adage " ...the battles are won in the trenches..."
Once we have established a reliable ground game, then the passing game has a chance to develop instead of being forced upon a rookie.
Looks to me we have a lot of work to do to accomplish a solid running attack.

Edit - I intend this thread to be open to all things related to the ground attack.

Last edited:
Good points. Even with the new OL coach, OL and RB signings. I wasn't expecting the Texans to be in the playoffs or win many games. However, I was expecting a OL and running game to protect the QBs, keep the clock moving, shorten the game and even keep the defense off the field. During the Jags game, we saw different formations being used. It now "appears" that they are back to the same stale shotgun offense. We can easily say OL injuries, but besides that first game, what I thought was suppose to be the strength of the team (OL,RB) has been the most disappointing and unproductive units on the team.

Considering they kept Tim Kelly, the question still remains if it's a talent or scheme issue causing the ineffective running game and blocking. Similar to the B'OB years, the Texans started the season wanting to run the ball and they run the ball often and just as ineffective as years past. Previously, whenever we discussed the OL performance it always devolved into a Watson debate about holding ball too long or not making the proper OL calls or not taking check downs.

Now that Watson and B'OB are out of the picture and this OL might be even worst. I don't see Mills/Taylor making the constant checks at the LOS and no one has asked Culley about who makes the OL calls. It "appears" they have reduced the number of LOS checks and adjustments. However, the running game and OL play remains just as ineffective.

I'm not a fan of trying to be a running team when your base offense appears to be the shotgun formation. I think it limits your running game and might even give the defense an advantage. Maybe they should start with more formations to fix this OL and running game.

At one point in the first quarter I remember saying we need an entire new team. Personally I think we need an entire coaching staff and depending on what Caserio eventually does with Watson and in the draft possibly new general manager also. Doubt that happens of course.

Nothing looks like nothing and thats the problem. When they want to run the ball, its a easy tell. With their inability to run even decent, it makes 0 sense to run any kind of playaction. None of their run action look like their pass action. Neither helps either.

Going forward we don't need to give up picks for never been guys. If we trade people we need picks and or young talent. I would rather sign young undrafted rookies/young street free agents and hope you find a diamond in the rough here and there I don't want to see us signing bad apples that flamed out on other teams.

Going forward we don't need to give up picks for never been guys. If we trade people we need picks and or young talent. I would rather sign young undrafted rookies/young street free agents and hope you find a diamond in the rough here and there I don't want to see us signing bad apples that flamed out on other teams.
My thoughts exactly

Run needs a premium OL that stays together for several years and a premier back so lets build an OL that dances us to an SB

Nothing looks like nothing and thats the problem. When they want to run the ball, its a easy tell. With their inability to run even decent, it makes 0 sense to run any kind of playaction. None of their run action look like their pass action. Neither helps either.
They are an easy tell when running the ball.
If you watch Green Bay, their running game is hard to pick. Then again, they have Aaron Rogers and an established Oline.

They are an easy tell when running the ball.
If you watch Green Bay, their running game is hard to pick. Then again, they have Aaron Rogers and an established Oline.
Buffalo nor Arizona have top flight olines, yet they can run the ball out of their scheme and concepts.

A power rushing scheme obviously isn't working. We don't seem to have the talent for that. Is it time to convert to a Zone Blocking Scheme? The ZBS is supposed to be effective with less talented OLinemen. It worked for Kubes, and we seem to have less talented OLinemen.

I said in another thread the lines don't have to be first rate, just reasonably competent which our line is not quite.
They have to want to impose their will on a grown man & move him out of the way.

I don't know how bad these guys are, they look big enough, they look strong enough, but it looks like they're practicing, where they get position on their opponent, make contact, then look for the Gatorade cart.

Just like the poor tackling on the defensive side. They act like getting position & making contact is the goal & don't finish the play & actually tackle the guy.

Back