Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Most disappointing

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The offensive line and the shuffling of Scharping, Fulton, etc. These guys need to learn from each other. All the in and out crap has got to stop.

More disappointing is a full coaching staff letting Fulton start.

Devlin is not good at his job. I was waiting to see an alert on my phone today that he had been jettisoned back to wherever he came from.

Very disappointed in the Oline this year.

Defense would be next. Horrible.

The defense needs a complete overhaul. It needs to get faster and meaner. Like Cushing and the Ninja mean. I know Ninja would get the stupid penalty every now and then but those two dudes played pissed off. This defense plays slow and tentative.
Hopefully they get a Gibbs type OL coach and I think the OL will be fine. After Sunday I have some hope for Heck at RT.

Defense is slow as molasses. LB's in particular. Gotta add some speed.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
For me, I would have to say the frustration of JJ Watt and the likelihood of his departure from the Texans.

It is a move that makes sense from every angle.... but it is not something I want to see.

I do wish him the best and much success if/when he leaves, with an asterisk nullifying those wishes for the day if he faces us.

While losing OB was a major addition by subtraction. Even if the loss of JJ on the field turns out to be a minor case of addition by subtraction..... it will be a loss for the city regardless of what it equates to on the field.

The rest I cant really claim disappointing being it was pretty much expected going into the season with OB at the helm.

The only other true disappointment I can claim is that we were unable to shut the Titans down and deny them the AFCS champions title. Even then, I didnt expect it, just hoped.

Killing Floor

Practice Squad
Really from before the first snap we had to know the trajectory of the season.
You could build a Pro Bowl roster with the dudes BOB wanted to cut or trade.

But for me the in season disappointment was the performance of the O line. Day in and day out our fronts are a sieve. And if we have any goal of playoffs with Watson it's time to seriously think this through. Beats a washed up running back any day.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I wasn’t really disappointed in anything Texans related in 2020. The disappointment came pre 2020. I had stopped even really following this team until OB got fired. I knew more about the team than the casual fan, but I wasn’t entrenched with this team.

So I don’t know what weaver said he was going to do philosophy wise. I don’t know every little roster move they made. Have no idea who the rookies are mostly....

So I was just pretty much watching the games post OB with an open mind and mostly from an evaluation perspective.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
My Biggest disappointment is Cal as the CEO.
McNair was either asleep at the wheel or just as clueless about his assets as the inept General Manager Bill O’Brien.

all of this would been avoided if McNair had only fired O’Brien for blowing a 24 point lead in the playoffs but instead of firing O’Brien he gave him total control which leads me to believe McNair is simply clueless.

H_Town_Gaucho

Waterboy
I would have to agree with another poster who said Cal is the most disappointing. He reminds of a rich kid who inherited his dads company but is completely clueless about what it takes to run it, since all he has been worried about was hanging out, partying and doing bong hits behind the mansion....

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
I would have to agree with another poster who said Cal is the most disappointing. He reminds of a rich kid who inherited his dads company but is completely clueless about what it takes to run it, since all he has been worried about was hanging out, partying and doing bong hits behind the mansion....
What's wrong with doing bong hits behind the mansion?
Should I stop?

gafftop

All Pro
McNair was either asleep at the wheel or just as clueless about his assets as the inept General Manager Bill O’Brien.

all of this would been avoided if McNair had only fired O’Brien for blowing a 24 point lead in the playoffs but instead of firing O’Brien he gave him total control which leads me to believe McNair is simply clueless.
McNair has no clue.
Kept Butthead when he got rid of Rick. The disease stays.
Fires BH but keeps Easterhead. The disease stays.
Brings in Nick, the disease grows.
The players let Butthead stay too long and wreck the Texans for years to come.
Watson needs to speak up now, not tweet cryptic BS.

Seems like they would have learned when they stayed quiet about BUTTHEAD.
Watson learn from Watt and speak up quickly or let your career waste away also.

Of course the other option is Cal lets the Pats brain trust trade away Watson like Futtbuck did when he got rid of everybody else that didn't kowtow to him.

Hey Cal look at where the Pats are without Brady. Sucking like the Texans. Maybe it wasn't the Pats braintrust but BRADY. Can you imagine the Texans without Watson. Easily top draft choice but wait we don't have our first round pick.

The IDIOCY continues.

As always just my opinion.

PS I agree easterbutt was instrumental in getting rid of Dhop. Butthead got his just due by someone more evil and conniving than him.

My feelings just after BF named GM

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
McNair has no clue.
Kept Butthead when he got rid of Rick. The disease stays.
Fires BH but keeps Easterhead. The disease stays.
Brings in Nick, the disease grows.
The players let Butthead stay too long and wreck the Texans for years to come.
Watson needs to speak up now, not tweet cryptic BS.

Seems like they would have learned when they stayed quiet about BUTTHEAD.
Watson learn from Watt and speak up quickly or let your career waste away also.

Of course the other option is Cal lets the Pats brain trust trade away Watson like Futtbuck did when he got rid of everybody else that didn't kowtow to him.

Hey Cal look at where the Pats are without Brady. Sucking like the Texans. Maybe it wasn't the Pats braintrust but BRADY. Can you imagine the Texans without Watson. Easily top draft choice but wait we don't have our first round pick.

The IDIOCY continues.

As always just my opinion.

PS I agree easterbutt was instrumental in getting rid of Dhop. Butthead got his just due by someone more evil and conniving than him.

My feelings just after BF named GM
Look where they are with DW4.

Bottom feeders that are going to have cap issues soon.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So giving Merci, Cobb, Murray, Martin all deals undeserving is Watson fault?That's over 50m right there. That's Watson contract fault right?
It wont matter next yr. Unfortunately the Texans wont be contenders next yr.

In 2 yrs when it might matter the DW4 cap hit will be a killer. But your right BOB gave out way to much $$$$ for middling to poor talent.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Not according to this. He is most of the cap compared to other players.

Or is this information wrong?

That information is correct ... The percentage of the total cap is the key figure. In Brady's case , 13.04%

Watson was 4.5% this year , will be 8.78% next year .... Once the extension kicks in its ~20% and assuming the cap gets back on track. It could be as high as 27% if some of the predictions hold true.

Deshaun Watson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
That information is correct ... The percentage of the total cap is the key figure. In Brady's case , 13.04%

Watson was 4.5% this year , will be 8.78% next year .... Once the extension kicks in its ~20% and assuming the cap gets back on track. It could be as high as 27% if some of the predictions hold true.

Deshaun Watson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
Cant fault the player for signing a contract to get paid.

You can fault the person who wrote the contract?

Who wrote it? Was it OB or someone else?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Then your initial stance was incorrect. Brady takes up most of his team’s cap.

Like all QBs who are worth a damn do.

Watson is no exception so it shouldn’t be an issue.
13.2 % is the current bench mark to win a championship.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
13.2 % is the current bench mark to win a championship.
Who established that benchmark? Was it the NFL? No. If it was the owners, it could be construed as collusion? They didn't do it behind closed doors. Was it the agents and GM's driving up the going rate for NFL QB's? More than likely, which means this type of payday was going to happen.....it was just a matter of time. It just sucks that it had to be Mahomes and Watson who set the precedence. Bills are going to pay dearly to retain Allen, especially if he gets them to the SB. His contract could exceed both Mahomes and Watson's.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I’ve missed you Kdog, that being said, two time pro bowl in consecutive years and allowed 2 sacks all season. He also only had 6 penalties all season all this with Devlin as his coach. How much more elite can he get?
Don't forget that Tunsil missed some times.

I'm not surprised he didn't make this list:

Tunsil is not worth the price.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who established that benchmark? Was it the NFL? No. If it was the owners, it could be construed as collusion? They didn't do it behind closed doors. Was it the agents and GM's driving up the going rate for NFL QB's? More than likely, which means this type of payday was going to happen.....it was just a matter of time. It just sucks that it had to be Mahomes and Watson who set the precedence. Bills are going to pay dearly to retain Allen, especially if he gets them to the SB. His contract could exceed both Mahomes and Watson's.
Steve Young's contract set that benchmark.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Don't forget that Tunsil missed some times.

I'm not surprised he didn't make this list:

Tunsil is not worth the price.
Brandon Brooks! Even Ben Jones made the list. Ugh.

Rick brings them in, BOB tells them to go away. Can you imagine if we had Jones & Brooks over Martin & Fulton?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
This is an easy one for me, it's the OL.

If you see where the money & draft picks were invested on this team, it was to the OL. They showed signs last season, and I was actually excited to see them play together as unit for a 2nd season. But just about everyone on the line regressed. And to make things even more embarrassing, their best games was when Tunsil & Howard didn't even play! Ugh!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What is the math that goes into that number? How was it derived?
13.2% of whatever the cap is, is the most a SB winning QB has eaten up.

No I dont blame DW4 for getting every penny he could get. But I also no longer expect any championships because of that contract.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So Rick chose to not re-sign guys he drafted. Had nothing to do with the new coach in town? Brooks is already on record for his displeasure playing for BOB. Nice try.
He was the GM and it was his decision who to pay and who not to pay.

Example: I know for a fact Kubiak wanted to wait until the end of the season and see how Schaub played after the Lisfranc to decide whether to extend Schaub. RS decided to extend Schaub after game #2 without Kubiak's blessings. RS had far more power in the Texans org than you thought he had. After all he was the Godfather.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
He was the GM and it was his decision who to pay and who not to pay.

Example: I know for a fact Kubiak wanted to wait until the end of the season and see how Schaub played after the Lisfranc to decide whether to extend Schaub. RS decided to extend Schaub after game #2 without Kubiak's blessings. RS had far more power in the Texans org than you thought he had. After all he was the Godfather.
He had all of that power, but couldn't save his own job? Ok. Believe what you like.

mussop

Hall of Fame
13.2% of whatever the cap is, is the most a SB winning QB has eaten up.

No I dont blame DW4 for getting every penny he could get. But I also no longer expect any championships because of that contract.
Wait, so now it’s the contract he’s going to get that is the problem? I thought it was his lack of talent? what does he have to do for you to give him credit? He had a pretty dam good year considering his circumstance.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Cant fault the player for signing a contract to get paid.

You can fault the person who wrote the contract?

Who wrote it? Was it OB or someone else?

I don't blame Watson for getting all he can.

I have faulted management for giving him the extension when they did and for as much as they did many times over.

I've heard several different reports on who was responsible for the contract from Cal to OB to Easterby , I'm not certain who gets the blame .... One thing for sure none of them called the cap guy prior to doing so.

One thing you can bank on is in those seasons where he and Tunsil make up a third of the cap between them (60+M) , it'll be hard to put much talent around them.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I don't blame Watson for getting all he can.

I have faulted management for giving him the extension when they did and for as much as they did many times over.

I've heard several different reports on who was responsible for the contract from Cal to OB to Easterby , I'm not certain who gets the blame .... One thing for sure none of them called the cap guy prior to doing so.

One thing you can bank on is in those seasons where he and Tunsil make up a third of the cap between them (60+M) , it'll be hard to put much talent around them.
Simple solution, trade Tunsil if money becomes an issue. Another possibility, start collecting draft capital to add younger cheaper talent to the higher priced vets. There are (generally speaking) 5 high priced positions WR, CB, T, QB, and pass rushers. If we can add talent at CB, Wr and pass rusher we can probably off set the money of Tunsil and Watson

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Simple solution, trade Tunsil if money becomes an issue. Another possibility, start collecting draft capital to add younger cheaper talent to the higher priced vets. There are (generally speaking) 5 high priced positions WR, CB, T, QB, and pass rushers. If we can add talent at CB, Wr and pass rusher we can probably off set the money of Tunsil and Watson
What you gonna do for LT?