Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Most disappointing

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
What is the most disappointing thing (person/area or concept} of the Texans in 2020?

For me it was Anthony Weaver and the defense. He stated before the year that his coaching style would be aggressive much like Buddy Ryan, but all I saw was a continuation of RAC's defense. Maybe he was overrode, maybe he realized he didn't have the talent, but it was a big letdown. I don't care for the bend don't break defense because much like the prevent defense it is always broken

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What is the most disappointing thing (person/area or concept} of the Texans in 2020?

For me it was Anthony Weaver and the defense. He stated before the year that his coaching style would be aggressive much like Buddy Ryan, but all I saw was a continuation of RAC's defense. Maybe he was overrode, maybe he realized he didn't have the talent, but it was a big letdown. I don't care for the bend don't break defense because much like the prevent defense it is always broken
Bill Obrien
/end thread

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Biggest disappointment was making OB the GM after 51-7.

Second biggest disappointment was shipping off a HoF talent for some perceived off-field BS and getting crap in return.

I could use Weaver, as well, but I honestly did not expect much from the defense in 2020 when the roster had been neglected for years by the front office.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm gonna go with the running game .... they were inept. Same unit that was reasonably productive the year before all the sudden couldn't average 4 against a highschool defense.

As for the defense - I expected their poor showing , particularly against the run. The LBers being unable to cover a baby with a blanket didn't help matters .... the secondary was as good as can be expected considering the lack of talent and next to nothing for a pass rush.

If there's two places you have to fix this offseason , its the run game and that defensive front four , finding a pass rusher is an absolute must.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
My biggest disappointment is not seeing more of the rookie defenders. And that's one of the problems with a lame duck coaching staff. They're not concerned for the future of the organization. These guys needed more snaps to get ready for next season. How much worse could they have been?

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

gotta agree with Weaver.. our defense was maybe the worst I’ve seen ever. People talk about that 2017 defense, or that 2010 defense, but those defenses showed bright spots by competing with teams they had no business playing with.....at times & throughout the game. This year’s defense showed nothing at any point in any game. a dearth of talent not withstanding, they were just bad from every angle imaginable, on all levels....& Weaver has that on his record unfortunately.

I mean we lost like 6-7 games by less that a TD...3-4 of those we put up 28-30 pts. All the defense had to do was hold on 1 of the last 2 possessions...& they couldn’t do it not 1 time. 8 total TO’s FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON is pathetic.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The thing I’m most disappointed in is BO’bs absence from the sideline didn’t net more than 4 wins.

I wanted so bad to believe that his presence was that crippling.

I wanted to believe he was hurting us in game planning, prep, & execution so bad that if he’d just get out of the way we could beat the Bengals, Trubisky, Cleveland... Tennessee & Indy at least once.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The thing I’m most disappointed in is BO’bs absence from the sideline didn’t net more than 4 wins.

I wanted so bad to believe that his presence was that crippling.

I wanted to believe he was hurting us in game planning, prep, & execution so bad that if he’d just get out of the way we could beat the Bengals, Trubisky, Cleveland... Tennessee & Indy at least once.
It was crippling and while I'm at it, add toxic to the list.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Defense and the running game.

Watson has got to learn to tackle better and get to the other team's QB and cover the receivers better. Also he needs to improve on stopping the run because any decent RB can just run right past Watson without making the stop. On the offense side why can't Watson hand it off to Watson and get the yards needed? Though if Watson was blocking better then Watson might could get those yards so maybe the line as well. Also have to mention Watson and his catching, not one time this whole season did I see him beat the defender in coverage and get up to make the catch no matter how great the pass. If we are going to have any hope then Watson has got to play better.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
gotta agree with Weaver.. our defense was maybe the worst I’ve seen ever. People talk about that 2017 defense, or that 2010 defense, but those defenses showed bright spots by competing with teams they had no business playing with.....at times & throughout the game. This year’s defense showed nothing at any point in any game. a dearth of talent not withstanding, they were just bad from every angle imaginable, on all levels....& Weaver has that on his record unfortunately.

I mean we lost like 6-7 games by less that a TD...3-4 of those we put up 28-30 pts. All the defense had to do was hold on 1 of the last 2 possessions...& they couldn’t do it not 1 time. 8 total TO’s FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON is pathetic.
Well at least we never saw the emergence of a TO belt..... :lol:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Defense and the running game.

Watson has got to learn to tackle better and get to the other team's QB and cover the receivers better. Also he needs to improve on stopping the run because any decent RB can just run right past Watson without making the stop. On the offense side why can't Watson hand it off to Watson and get the yards needed? Though if Watson was blocking better then Watson might could get those yards so maybe the line as well. Also have to mention Watson and his catching, not one time this whole season did I see him beat the defender in coverage and get up to make the catch no matter how great the pass. If we are going to have any hope then Watson has got to play better.
I bet there’s a Detroit fan who decided he’s going to write a Matt Stafford post like this one, one more time.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Pretty disappointed that the offense still continues to struggle on their first series of the game - has been horrible for years now. Is it coaching, schemes, players?

Game logs for each games 1st offensive possession... that's a lot of punts.

WeekOpponentFirst Drive Result1st Play Pass/Run
1​
Chiefs1-10-HST 25 (15:00) (Shotgun) Da.Johnson right guard to HST 30 for 5 yards (D.Sorensen).
2-5-HST 30 (14:26) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete deep left to W.Fuller.
3-5-HST 30 (14:21) (Shotgun) PENALTY on HST-L.Tunsil, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at HST 30 - No Play.
3-10-HST 25 (14:21) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short right to Da.Johnson.
4-10-HST 25 (14:16) B.Anger punts 40 yards to KC 35, Center-J.Weeks, out of bounds
Run
2​
Ravens1-10-HST 25 (15:00) (Shotgun) Da.Johnson right tackle to HST 26 for 1 yard (C.Campbell).
2-9-HST 26 (14:30) (Shotgun) Da.Johnson left guard to HST 30 for 4 yards (P.Queen).
3-5-HST 30 (13:49) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short left to J.Akins to HST 34 for 4 yards (J.Smith).
4-1-HST 34 (13:04) B.Anger punts 52 yards to BLT 14, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by J.Proche
Run
3​
Steelers1-10-HST 25 (15:00) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short right to Da.Johnson [T.Watt]. Coverage by 34-Edmunds.
2-10-HST 25 (14:57) Da.Johnson right guard to HST 30 for 5 yards (M.Hilton).
3-5-HST 30 (14:21) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short middle to J.Akins. Coverage by 20-Sutton.
4-5-HST 30 (14:17) B.Anger punts 48 yards to PIT 22, Center-J.Weeks, downed by HST-C.Gillaspia
Pass
4​
Vikings1-10-HST 25 (15:00) Da.Johnson left guard to HST 27 for 2 yards (Y.Ngakoue, E.Wilson).
2-8-HST 27 (14:36) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short right to J.Akins to HST 33 for 6 yards (J.Gladney).
3-2-HST 33 (13:57) (No Huddle) D.Watson pass incomplete short middle to R.Cobb (J.Gladney).
4-2-HST 33 (13:53) (Punt formation) PENALTY on HST-J.Reid, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at HST 33 - No Play.
4-7-HST 28 (13:53) B.Anger punts 51 yards to MIN 21, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by K.Osborn
Run
5​
Jaguars1-10-HST 16 (12:51) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass deep right to B.Cooks to JAX 48 for 36 yards (C.Claybrooks). P1
1-10-JAX 48 (12:19) Da.Johnson right tackle to JAX 48 for no gain (J.Jones).
2-10-JAX 48 (11:50) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short left to B.Cooks to 50 for -2 yards (D.Allen).
3-12-50 (11:12) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short right to P.Brown to JAX 46 for 4 yards (J.Schobert).
4-8-JAX 46 (10:29) B.Anger punts 33 yards to JAX 13, Center-J.Weeks, out of bounds. Punt Hangtime - 4.12s
Pass
6​
Titans1-10-HST 20 (14:11) (Shotgun) Da.Johnson left guard to HST 21 for 1 yard (J.Simmons).
2-9-HST 21 (13:37) (Shotgun) D.Watson sacked at HST 18 for -3 yards (sack split by D.Jones and H.Landry).
3-12-HST 18 (12:53) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short middle to W.Fuller pushed ob at HST 40 for 22 yards (A.Hooker). P1
1-10-HST 40 (12:16) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short middle to W.Fuller.
2-10-HST 40 (12:11) (Shotgun) Da.Johnson right tackle to HST 44 for 4 yards (K.Byard).
3-6-HST 44 (11:30) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short middle to Da.Johnson.
4-6-HST 44 (11:27) B.Anger punts 56 yards to end zone, Center-J.Weeks, Touchback.
Run
7​
Packers1-10-HST 25 (9:21) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short left to W.Fuller to HST 30 for 5 yards (A.Amos).
2-5-HST 30 (8:53) (Shotgun) Da.Johnson right guard to HST 34 for 4 yards (W.Redmond; K.Barnes).
3-1-HST 34 (8:10) (Shotgun) D.Johnson left end to HST 33 for -1 yards (J.Jackson).
4-2-HST 33 (7:24) B.Anger punts 67 yards to end zone, Center-J.Weeks, Touchback. Punt Hangtime: 4.87s
Pass
8​
Jaguars1-10-HST 25 (14:08) (Shotgun) Da.Johnson up the middle to HST 43 for 18 yards (M.Jack). R1
1-10-HST 43 (13:44) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Watson pass short left to B.Cooks for 57 yards, TOUCHDOWN. P2
K.Fairbairn extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-B.Anger
Run
9​
Browns1-10-HST 33 (8:21) D.Watson pass short right to W.Fuller to HST 41 for 8 yards (T.Mitchell).
2-2-HST 41 (7:50) D.Johnson right guard to HST 40 for -1 yards (M.Garrett).
3-3-HST 40 (7:10) (Shotgun) D.Watson sacked at HST 35 for -5 yards (sack split by M.Garrett and S.Richardson).
4-8-HST 35 (6:29) B.Anger punts 52 yards to CLV 13, Center-J.Weeks. D.Peoples-Jones to CLV 22 for 9 yards (K.Crossen; N.Hall).
Pass
10​
Patriots1-10-HST 25 (15:00) (Shotgun) D.Johnson up the middle to HST 27 for 2 yards (A.Phillips).
2-8-HST 27 (14:29) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short right to D.Fells pushed ob at HST 40 for 13 yards (A.Phillips). P1
1-10-HST 40 (13:50) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short middle to B.Cooks to HST 46 for 6 yards (J.Bentley; T.Hall).
2-4-HST 46 (13:21) D.Johnson left end to HST 47 for 1 yard (L.Guy).
3-3-HST 47 (12:39) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete deep left to D.Johnson.
4-3-HST 47 (12:31) B.Anger punts 37 yards to NE 16, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by G.Olszewski.
Run
11​
Lions1-10-HST 22 (14:54) (Shotgun) D.Johnson up the middle to HST 25 for 3 yards (J.Collins).
2-7-HST 25 (14:20) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete deep right to K.Coutee.
3-7-HST 25 (14:12) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short middle to W.Fuller to HST 35 for 10 yards (D.Trufant). P1
1-10-HST 35 (13:38) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short right to B.Cooks to HST 46 for 11 yards (W.Harris). P2
1-10-HST 46 (12:50) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short middle to K.Warring [R.Okwara].
2-10-HST 46 (12:46) D.Johnson left tackle to HST 46 for no gain (J.Kearse).
3-10-HST 46 (12:04) (Shotgun) D.Watson sacked at HST 44 for -2 yards (sack split by E.Griffen and J.Davis).
4-12-HST 44 (11:18) B.Anger punts 41 yards to DET 15, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by J.Agnew
Run
12​
Colts1-10-HST 22 (14:56) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short left to Du.Johnson to HST 23 for 1 yard (T.Wilson).
2-9-HST 23 (14:22) Da.Johnson right tackle to HST 24 for 1 yard (G.Stewart).
3-8-HST 24 (13:38) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short right.
4-8-HST 24 (13:31) B.Anger punts 52 yards to IND 24, Center-J.Weeks. N.Hines to IND 33 for 9 yards (Ju.Reid). Punt Hangtime: 4.81s
Pass
13​
Bears1-10-HST 17 (14:54) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short right to K.Coutee to HST 25 for 8 yards (K.Fuller).
2-2-HST 25 (14:22) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Watson scrambles right end ran ob at HST 34 for 9 yards (R.Smith). R1
1-10-HST 34 (13:55) Du.Johnson left guard to HST 34 for no gain (A.Hicks).
2-10-HST 34 (13:21) (Shotgun) Du.Johnson left guard to HST 38 for 4 yards (D.Trevathan).
3-6-HST 38 (12:37) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short middle to C.Hansen to CHI 49 for 13 yards (D.Shelley). P2
1-10-CHI 49 (12:05) (No Huddle, Shotgun) PENALTY on HST-L.Tunsil, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CHI 49 - No Play.
1-15-HST 46 (11:44) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short middle to C.Hansen to CHI 48 for 6 yards (Ta.Gipson).
2-9-CHI 48 (11:11) (Shotgun) C.Prosise right guard to CHI 46 for 2 yards (R.Smith).
3-7-CHI 46 (10:26) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short middle to J.Akins [A.Hicks].
4-7-CHI 46 (10:23) B.Anger punts 26 yards to CHI 20, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by A.Miller
Pass
14​
Colts1-10-HST 23 (14:55) (Shotgun) D.Johnson left tackle to HST 31 for 8 yards (A.Walker).
2-2-HST 31 (14:23) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short left to B.Cooks to HST 35 for 4 yards (D.Leonard). P1
1-10-HST 35 (13:47) D.Johnson left end to HST 41 for 6 yards (X.Rhodes).
2-4-HST 41 (13:11) (Shotgun) R.Johnson reported in as eligible. D.Johnson right tackle to HST 43 for 2 yards (K.Willis).
3-2-HST 43 (12:30) (Shotgun) D.Watson sacked at HST 37 for -6 yards (D.Buckner).
4-8-HST 37 (11:41) B.Anger punts 57 yards to IND 6, Center-J.Weeks. N.Hines to IND 19 for 13 yards (A.Moore)
Run
15​
Bengals1-10-HST 25 (15:00) D.Watson pass incomplete short middle to B.Cooks (D.Phillips).
2-10-HST 25 (14:57) (Shotgun) D.Johnson right tackle to HST 28 for 3 yards (J.Bynes; C.Covington).
3-7-HST 28 (14:19) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short right to K.Warring to HST 31 for 3 yards (V.Bell; D.Phillips).
4-4-HST 31 (13:40) B.Anger punts 47 yards to CIN 22, Center-J.Weeks. A.Erickson to CIN 29 for 7 yards (N.Hall)
Pass
16​
Titans1-10-HST 25 (15:00) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass deep middle to B.Cooks to HST 45 for 20 yards (M.Butler). P1
1-10-HST 45 (14:33) D.Watson pass incomplete short right to C.Hansen.
2-10-HST 45 (14:29) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass short right to C.Hansen to HST 49 for 4 yards (A.Jackson).
3-6-HST 49 (13:48) (Shotgun) D.Watson scrambles up the middle to TEN 47 for 4 yards (R.Evans).
4-2-TEN 47 (12:54) (Punt formation) PENALTY on HST, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at TEN 47 - No Play.
4-7-HST 48 (12:41) B.Anger punts 42 yards to TEN 10, Center-J.Weeks, fair catch by K.Raymond.
Pass

PapaL

Loose Screw
I guess a part of me knew our franchise was poorly run; the level became clear in the offseason. I’m disappointed in ownership mostly. This whole flop is on them.

I’m disappointed in the skewed “smart” fans we have. We have generational talent before us. Enjoy it.

Disappointed that we wasted another stud players career. Idk if JJ returns but at this point he’s not playing up to that contract. That’s also disappointing. He was special special.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm disappointed in all the things that happened before 2020 that led to 2020. A HC wins 4 games and you give him a 4 year extension. You "align" him with his GM and fire that GM a few months later. You lead a playoff game 24-0 and lose that game by 20, then you give the guy even more power, then fire him 4 games later after all the damage had been done.

I'm disappointed in the soap opera this organization has become.
I'm disappointed in them being more concerned about raising ticket prices every year than they are putting a championship caliber product on the field.
I'm disappointed that the biggest positive buzz about this franchise this season was opening the roof for the 1st time in 6 years.

Now if you'll excuse me while I drive off the Fred Hartman.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm disappointed in all the things that happened before 2020 that led to 2020. A HC wins 4 games and you give him a 4 year extension. You "align" him with his GM and fire that GM a few months later. You lead a playoff game 24-0 and lose that game by 20, then you give the guy even more power, then fire him 4 games later after all the damage had been done.

I'm disappointed in the soap opera this organization has become.
I'm disappointed in them being more concerned about raising ticket prices every year than they are putting a championship caliber product on the field.
I'm disappointed that the biggest positive buzz about this franchise this season was opening the roof for the 1st time in 6 years.

Now if you'll excuse me while I drive off the Fred Hartman.

I want to change my answer.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
Big disappointment(s): Whitney and Scarlett having too many snaps.

Someone deciding that Carlos Watkins is an NFL player.

Whomever decided to keep rotating Scharping out.

The person that gives JJ the OK to not play his position correctly

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
No qualms whatsoever about giving up what we did for Tunsil. New coaching staff coming in will get more out of him and the o-line in general...& he’s been a pro bowler each of the last 2 years he’s been here. Just the going rate for a talent like him. People take that development thing for granted...like it’s easy developing those guys...there’s a reason LT’s with the talent of a Tunsil aren’t traded and often go tops in the draft. It’s for the same reason franchise Qb’s are hard to come by and develop.

the price paid hurt...but that’s how it is for almost anything worth a damn.

austins23

Hall of Fame
The offensive line and the shuffling of Scharping, Fulton, etc. These guys need to learn from each other. All the in and out crap has got to stop.

More disappointing is a full coaching staff letting Fulton start.

Devlin is not good at his job. I was waiting to see an alert on my phone today that he had been jettisoned back to wherever he came from.

Very disappointed in the Oline this year.

Defense would be next. Horrible.

The defense needs a complete overhaul. It needs to get faster and meaner. Like Cushing and the Ninja mean. I know Ninja would get the stupid penalty every now and then but those two dudes played pissed off. This defense plays slow and tentative.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I guess really the big promotion for Bill O’Brien just 4 games before he was sacked. A true wasted season.

Last years’ draft looks a bust also, as does the one before that.
I’m not ready to call Howard a bust, guy played great his rookie year and has been pretty solid overall. Something about Texan Oline players that they seem to regress the longer they are coached by Devlin. I honestly think that has something to do with Martin playing so bad because he was another solid pick coming out of college.

Let this line get a real coach and I think we will see great improvement just like the rest of the team. Except the defense, they just suck.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I got mocked up for complaining about that when it happened too .... Most were happy , OMG we got a LT!! ALL PRO rah rah rah .... Only needle the dude has moved is the salary cap.
Completely disagree, Watson is no longer getting slammed on his blind side, now just everywhere else. The price only seems to be way overpaid in hindsight after going 4-12. If Texans has drafted the same place they have been drafting most of the decade, low to mid 20, two picks for a Tunsil level LT is right on price point.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Completely disagree, Watson is no longer getting slammed on his blind side, now just everywhere else. The price only seems to be way overpaid in hindsight after going 4-12. If Texans has drafted the same place they have been drafting most of the decade, low to mid 20, two picks for a Tunsil level LT is right on price point.
and fans have to remember that one of those 1st rd picks is for the player himself that you would use to actually take said player in draft so in reality you gave up a 1st for the luxury. As you point out, that’s the proper price point. I agree.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
and fans have to remember that one of those 1st rd picks is for the player himself that you would use to actually take said player in draft so in reality you gave up a 1st for the luxury. As you point out, that’s the proper price point. I agree.
& you got that player playing at a high level for 2 seasons before the pick is made.

Mike Devlin was his coach & he's going to the pro Bowl. Get a half decent coach & he's going to be an All-Pro

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Biggest disappointment was making OB the GM after 51-7.

Second biggest disappointment was shipping off a HoF talent for some perceived off-field BS and getting crap in return.

I could use Weaver, as well, but I honestly did not expect much from the defense in 2020 when the roster had been neglected for years by the front office.
BOB the HC should've been fired after 51-7 not given the GM title.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I ask y’all this, how has Tunsil helped the run defense? That’s the mark of elite offensive play.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I ask y’all this, how has Tunsil helped the run defense? That’s the mark of elite offensive play.
Not when you have a franchise QB that is the main reason you are going to win a game. Let me ask you this, what did NE care about more in 20 years, a lineman that could block for a RB or a lineman that keep defenses off Brady? Tunsil has allowed two sacks all season and one it took Myles Garrett to do it.