Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Moss vs. Texans

What do the Texans need to do to stop Randy Moss? I am just not sure if Aaron Glenn is tall enough to contain him...maybe devote Marcus Coleman and Glenn towards him. Holding him to anything under 100 yards and 2 TDs would atleast be a minor victory.

Yeah we will need 3, 4 guys to cover him, and we arent going to back all of our defensive backs on him, so I don't think we will be able too.... :thumbdown . Hopefully we can still pull it off though! I think we will lose this game...but we will win week 6 vs. the Titans so we will be 3-3!!! :thumbup

I don't think either Texan corner can cover this guy...the Vikings can put out a pretty potent offense if they are on their game.

The defense needs to get a good pass rush. I'm not so sure we can win if it's going to turn into a scoring contest.

We'll probably do what most teams have done with him so far this season. We'll double him most of the game, and throw 3 defenders at him in obvious passing situations. CB covering him, Safety over top, and let a LB drift deep into coverage underneath him. The problem with that strategy is that they can run the ball more easily against the defense. If all else fails we can hope that he misses his flight.

Yea, i think Aaron Glen has the speed, but definatly not the vertical or height. We should get a little rough and the first time he tries a deep route, use our rookie SS Glen Earl(the consensous HARDEST HITTING PLAYER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL), and not worry about one penalty. We should just run right through his *** and hell probably think twice or hesitate from running those deep routes through Earl's zone.

I don't think we can stop Moss, but we have to make sure the other guys don't beat us. They have good receiver like Kelly Campbell and running back Onterrio Smith can be a dangerous weapon out of the backfield. They have some injuries with guys like Kleinsasser, but stopping Culpepper and Moss will be the toughest challenge this season in my opinion. We should try to slow down Moss and make sure their other guys don't beat us.

you could always try coleman back at corner for this game. but i think that would be kind of pointless.

glenn will do a good job as long as he isnt out there too long by himself. they might try that 2 deep safty stuff i always hear about but know nothing about. a good pass rush will most deffinately help. when you have a great combo like culpepper and moss they will get their hookups.

Yea, I'm afraid we won't be able to do anything to stop Moss. He's arguably the best wide receiver in the league right now, and he has a great connection with Culpepper. Glenn might be able to run with him, but he certainly won't be able to jump with him. We can do our best to get physical with him, double and triple team him, and try to make them beat us with their other weapons (which are still very dangerous).

Hopefully we'll have Eric Brown back so he can knock around some of their guys and make them hesistant. Once again getting pressure on Culpepper will be important, but that dude can run too so we have to be careful not to overpursue.

Well step #1 is PRESSURE DAUNTE CULPEPPER!!!!!
After that, just put your best CB on him, shade a S to his side, and hope for the best. Hey if Derrick Vaughn and Kenny Wright can hold Harrison to just 2 catches, we can slow down Moss. Just don't give him too much attention or the other WRs will beat us.

I think we might be over reacting a bit to the Moss threat. He is clearly the most dangerous single downfield threat in the NFL...but he is only one guy.

The Eagles held Moss to 8 catches, 69yrds, and 1 TD in a losing effort. I actually think our secondary is at LEAST equal to the Eagles, particularly our corners. Everyone knows Moss will get his touches but the if we can sustain some of the pass rush that we showed against Oakland that will go a long way to helping us. The other end of this is that the Vikes O-line is somewhate erratic...some games they are very solid and sometimes they are horrible. If we can maintain some pressure on Culpepper and contain his ability to make plays with his feet we will be in good shape.

Oh by the way...the Vikes defense definetly has the potential to get lit up by Carr & Co, so things aren't as bleak as some folks believe. Not saying that we're not going to have to play a solid game in all phases and work for some positive turnovers to win, it's just not as doom and gloom as I've seen some posts indicating.

IMO get pressure on Culpepper is #1 like RTP said. We can't put all of our focus on Randy Moss. If we double and triple team him all game, sure we shut him down, but we give their other WR's a chance to have a big game. I honestly think we can win this game. This is the NFL, any one team can beat another team any Sunday. Remember when the Cards beat the Vikes last year? If it's not raining I say open the roof, let 'em feel some Texas heat.

The eagles have showed us how to beat Moss. You have to get pressure on Cullpepper and if he does the ball, that makes Moss a blocker and all contact is legal, so you knock the **** out of him. Every time he comes over the middle you knock the **** out of him. Our defense has to get pressure and don't hesitate to blitz and be very physical.

The Texans have to pray and keep the roof open
The Vikings were 0-6 outdoors in 2001, 0-6 in 2002, 1-4 last year and 0-1 this season. That's a 1-17 record when playing in fresh air.
http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/sylvester-bar124e_20040924.htm

That quote was from a couple of weeks ago...

Nice info Fiddy. So Open the roof for Culpepper and the Vikes, and close it for Farve and the Packers. The pressure will be key, and that was a big part of the Eagle's success against the Vikes. They're expecting to have Bennett back, and they might have Onterrio Smith as well. He's a tough guy to bring down, and does well on screen passes. It looks as though the Vikes rely heavily on their TEs, and I'm sure DC won't mind some TE catches if he can limit Moss and slow down the run. Moss is very dangerous in the redzone though. I'm not as worried about him beating Glenn deep as I am about him jumping over Glenn in the endzone for a couple TD catches. Like most people have said so far I feel that we'll have to play a very good game in all phases, and get some turnovers and a lucky break or two. Should be fun to watch.

They won't have Bennett or O. Smith most likely. It's all gonna be on Moe Williams, and he's not too shabby either.

I just read about Bennett. Where'd you hear about Smith? I heard his appeal was supposed to be heard soon, but I wasn't aware of when. Are you sure his suspension will being this Sunday? Moe Williams and Mewelde Moore. Pretty good stable of RBs.

Of course last season we were all wondering how Faggins was going to keep Marvin Harrison from killing us in the second Colts game and that turned out ok didn't it? I totally get the Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison pose two different types of problems but my point is that the Texans will do something to keep him from going wild on us. He might very well still do that but I think we can keep him from single handedly killing us. Moss is going to get his. No doubt about that in my mind at all.

If the pass rush is truly back and if they can keep the Vikings from running on us all day (They can run on us half a day, that's fine. The Raiders ran on us half a day and we survived that), and the offense takes care of their business when they have the ball, then things will work out ok. We might not win but Randy Moss isn't going to destroy us all by himself.

Hervoyel said:
Of course last season we were all wondering how Faggins was going to keep Marvin Harrison from killing us in the second Colts game and that turned out ok didn't it?
To play Devils Advocate: We held Harrison but do you remember what Brandon Stokley did to us??? Stokley put up Harrison type numbers that game...

Nawzer said:
Hopefully we'll have Eric Brown back so he can knock around some of their guys and make them hesistant. Once again getting pressure on Culpepper will be important, but that dude can run too so we have to be careful not to overpursue.
Speaking of Eric Brown and the safety position, what did everyone think of Glenn Earl yesterday. Seems as though our coverage was much better and we got 3 picks because of it.

I say, the best way to beat Moss is to keep him off the field. Our offense has got to sustain drives. D Robinson couldn't have picked a better time to show what he is capable of. I am not so sure they go after our rookie as much this week.

El Tejano said:
I am not so sure they go after our rookie as much this week.
They are still going to go after him. Now you guys are going to rip me but D-Rob's first pick was more of a bad throw by Collins and miscommunications with his WR than a great play by D-Rob. The ball was thrown high and behind the WR and the WR never looked back so it was there for the taking for D-Rob and I am glad he made the play...

I just read about Bennett. Where'd you hear about Smith? I heard his appeal was supposed to be heard soon, but I wasn't aware of when. Are you sure his suspension will being this Sunday? Moe Williams and Mewelde Moore. Pretty good stable of RBs.

Just saw it a lil while ago on "Monday NFL Quarterback" or whatever its called on ESPN2. Mike Ditka, Eric Allen, and Trey Wingo were discussing it.

Vikings | Williams Questionable - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:37:36 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Moe Williams (calf) has a strained calf, which happened late in practice during the team's BYE week. He is questionable for Week 5.

Vikings | Bennett to Undergo Surgery - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:34:04 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Michael Bennett (knee) is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic knee surgery Monday, Oct. 4. It is being done to repair a tear in his right knee, according to head coach Mike Tice. Bennett suffered the injury during practice last week when he twisted his knee awkwardly in a pass-blocking situation. Due to the latest surgery, Bennett will not be available for Week 5 and may still be out of action come Week 7.

What happens if all 3 are out?

scourge said:
Just saw it a lil while ago on "Monday NFL Quarterback" or whatever its called on ESPN2. Mike Ditka, Eric Allen, and Trey Wingo were discussing it.

Oh ok so they said he's definately out? If so that is a good thing for us, and not so good for the Vikes.

Fiddy said:
They are still going to go after him. Now you guys are going to rip me but D-Rob's first pick was more of a bad throw by Collins and miscommunications with his WR than a great play by D-Rob. The ball was thrown high and behind the WR and the WR never looked back so it was there for the taking for D-Rob and I am glad he made the play...

Yeah it was definately an overthrow and a miscommunication on the part of the WR/QB. The WR could have made more of an effort to knock it down. D Rob went high to get it, and it was a good INT. His second INT was much better, but still it's nice for him to get a gift INT.

El Tejano said:
Speaking of Eric Brown and the safety position, what did everyone think of Glenn Earl yesterday. Seems as though our coverage was much better and we got 3 picks because of it.

I liked what I saw of him, but it seemed like Simmons got a good bit of playing time at SS too. He made that tackle in the backfield on the RB early on in the game. Pretty impressive for his second start. If he plays well while Brown is out with an injury he might earn Brown's starting job. Two rookies in the secondary is still a little scary though.

texasguy346 said:
If he plays well while Brown is out with an injury he might earn Brown's starting job. Two rookies in the secondary is still a little scary though.
Well, Earl was probably going to have the job next year so it is better to go through the growing pains this year. Brown looks like he will miss another game:
Safety Eric Brown will probably not practice again on Wednesday. Capers said he is doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1119

Bennett wont play
Onterrio has 1% chance of playing
Williams is questionable
Moore hurt his shoulder in practice, will be listed as questionable

Say Moe and Moore aren't healthy by sunday, the runningback will be Larry Ned

say, the best way to beat Moss is to keep him off the field. Our offense has got to sustain drives.

the best way to stop moss is a good running game. we could use DD and/or hollings back, backed up by the recently emerging wells. a healthy rb core would be icing on the cake. getting to culpepper at first sounded ridiculous to me (he would most likely out weigh anyone who tried to tackle, him except the d-line, at 260 lbs). BUT with his tendency to fumble (70 fumbles in 69 games i believe) lets hope the 3-4 emerges next weekend :thumbup ....and the roof is open :hehe:

texansfan88 said:
Say Moe and Moore aren't healthy by sunday, the runningback will be Larry Ned
Or they go to 5 WRs for most of the game and run draws with Culpepper... idonno:

Fiddy said:

Well that's how most INTs are created. Its either a bad route, bad throw, tipped pass, or miscommunication that leads to 95% of INTs.

Also Onterrio Smith will find out about his supsension on Wednesday. Most times if the NFL will suspend someone they let the team know by Monday. In this case, MIN has had plenty of time to know the suspension is coming so he probably will not play.

Lastly, we definately have to pressure Culpepper, but can we bring him down even if we get to him? He is a pretty big guy.

The Texans need to put pressure on Culpepper, but also they need to keep him thinking. They need to mix coverages and vary the type of rush they put on him. Sometimes they will need to drop 8 in coverage, at other times bring 7 guys on a blitz.

Putting pressure on NFL QB's is important, but it is more important to keep them guessing at what you are going to do.

i'll tell you how the texans can cover moss...it's not by man coverage...it's by zone...since we don't have a single guy who can run with him(hell no one in the nfl can) you zone him...you always put coleman to his side...have the corner bump him at the line of scrimage and follow in mid-zone have the OLB to that side take the flats and curl option...but if you do that the only thing is...one of the other viking recievers can hurt us...honestly i don't see us being 3-2 after this weekend but that's why we play the games...cause you never know...maybe moss will get hurt on some freak play(hopeing that doesn't actually happen though)...but you never know

jr0ck said:
the best way to stop moss is a good running game ....and the roof is open :hehe:

The best way to stop MOSS is to make Culpepper eat dirt! Time for Babin to make a good showing! Keep the roof CLOSED! Noise will effect the purple guys more than the heat. Not suppose to be that hot next Sunday!

All this panic over Moss is overboard. Yes he is the best WR right now. Nonetheless, Minnesota and their high production offense lost to such teams as the NY Giants (4-12), Oakland (4-12), Chicago (7-9) and Arizona (4-12) last year. Just because he is on the team doesn't mean they win every game or even every game they should, especially on the road. The Vikings OL is hurting having lost their two top TE's and their RT. In three games they have given up 10 sacks. Conversely, they are having front seven problems with two LB's out and pressure problems having gotten just 5 sacks. They also are having all sorts of problems at RB right now.

It's not like we don't have a pretty big threat at WR also. FYI--AJ has averaged 89 ypg through 4 games with 20.9 ypc. Moss has averaged 72 ypg through 3 games with 11.3 ypc. Not saying AJ is as good as Moss, yet, but each is only one part of the team. Oakland has a better scoring D than MN. MN has a slightly better rushing D on stats, but that appears to be because teams have not been rushing much. Oakland has a much better passing D--MN has given up 272 ypg in passing. Tough game, sure--unwinable?--none of them are unwinable. Have a little faith.

The Vikes, like the Chiefs, over the years have seemed to have such a strong reputation of being killer teams. Get to the end of the season and where did they go?

This can be like last week. If we get to Culpepper we can cause some fumbles, because that guy fumbles ALOT. Just like Collins last week.

I watched the Detroit game again. (thankyou Tivo) DD has such a presence when he is in the game. Even though he fumbled 4 times in 2 weeks. The things he can do outweigh the discrepancies. DD gets the 1st downs where Wells is one yard shy. DD can block, recieve and rush better than Wells. Not to mention Wells had a fumble as well. I have decided not to count my chickens when it comes to Hollings. He is starting to remind me of Michael Bennett. Full of talent and is not able to get anywhere. If DD starts, then we have drastically improved our chances for a win. Moss can't hurt on the sideline.

Remember the fact that Culpepper will fumble the ball..he's had a monster problem with holding on to the football. I think Dom Capers should make the Texans defenders go after the ball whenever they are near Culpepper. I think it's easier to make the ball knock out of his hand then take him down, he's bigger than some linebackers.

Fiddy said:
The Texans have to pray and keep the roof openhttp://www.freep.com/sports/lions/sylvester-bar124e_20040924.htm

That quote was from a couple of weeks ago...
You can look at it this way, they are 1-17 when they are playing road games...I say blitz on every play that will take every Viking out of the game. We should just have Coleman covering Moss. We don't need 2 people on him. If we keep Culpepper On the run, then he can't throw it to anybody.

Moss is going to get his. No doubt about that in my mind at all

So will AJ. No doubt about that in my mind at all.

they are 1-17 when they are playing road games

I think that's open stadiums, which means let's open the roof!!!

he's bigger than some linebackers

At about 264 lbs., he's bigger than some defensive lineman!

Yeah Culpepper is a big ol QB. I remember reading somewhere that he weighs more than every offensive lineman on the Dolphins perfect season team. Big guy. On the other hand I saw Jason Simmons put a monster pop on a great big Raider the other day so if the Texans can lay some licks on Culpepper, maybe cause a fumble, and get inside his head then we have a chance in this one.

The Vikings are a very good football team but for some reason after what we've seen this season I think I'd be more worried if they were a really bad football team. The Texans seem to be pretty good at rising to the level of an opponent. They're less good at playing above the level of an opponent they percieve to be beatable.

We just have to make sure we establish a run game and sustain drives without a TO. Minnesota usually stops itself or starts tanking it all together.

Lots of good ideas. Heres my :twocents: I don't think hits are going to hurt QB much at his size but even getting close may make him hurry the pass. I like "born orange" plan of mixed coverages. Blitz a safety or even a corner occasionally. I would have Simmons or Brown (weak against pass anyway)bust Moss in the chops every down and then let Glenn run with him. Earl could fill role if Brown not able to start. I would shade Coleman to that side.

Saying Moss is only part of the team is like saying the same about Barry Bonds. You simply don't let the #1 threat beat you. If Vikings go with 4 receivers, you add a cb and pull a lbacker. I think our defense can wear down their offense. Especially if we keep our D fresh with long drives that eat up clock and score at least 3 every time down the field.

Personally I expect our recievers to out perform theirs as a unit. Special teams may be the key to this game. Prediction 19 - 17 Home town boys! :boxing:

Back