Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

More about the UDFAs

mussop

Hall of Fame
The only other UFA thread was full of crap so I thought I would start a new one where we could discuss the actual ones we have signed.

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/37895/drew-lewis

Colorado redshirt senior LB Drew Lewis

• recorded 30 quarterback pressures last season, tied for most among returning FBS linebackers.
      Pro Football Focus passing along this bit of statistical fun. For the campaign as a whole, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Lewis racked up 94 total tackles (5.5 for loss) and a pair of sacks. He's proven to be particularly efficient with his quarterback rushes, making PFF's stat all the more impressive. This isn't just a volume effort.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter
      Jun 9, 2018, 12:43 PM ET

• DREW LEWISLB, COLORADO BUFFALOES

Colorado redshirt junior LB Drew Lewis has created 23 quarterback pressures in 2017, the most of any draft-eligible inside linebacker according to Pro Football Focus.
      Perhaps the most impressive thing is that Lewis (6'2/200) has only attempted to rush the passer 79 times this year, so that means he's hitting at nearly a 30 percent clip when attempting to rush the passer. When your pass-rush pressure percentage doubles as a good batting average, you know you're doing a good job. Lewis will be one of the first inside linebackers off the board in 2017 if he chooses to not stick around Colorado for one more season.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter
      Oct 23, 2017, 9:13 PM ET

Colorado redshirt junior LB Drew Lewis has broad jumped 10’10", better than any linebacker at this year’s NFL combine.
      Lewis (6'2/200) can also power clean 345, second-most on the team, and squat 435 for six reps. His father, Will, played corner the NFL and is now the director of scouting for the Kansas City Chiefs, and his uncle, Tim, is a former first-round pick as a DB by the Green Bay Packers. Lewis' older brother, Ryan, is a CB at Pitt, and three other cousins also played football at Pitt, including former NFL DB and now ESPN analyst Louis Riddick.

Last edited:
Albert Huggins

• NFL Media's Lance Zierlein said Clemson DL Albert Huggins has "a chance to become a rotational nose."
    Huggins (6'3/305) is a powerful player, but he lacks burst (25.5-inch vertical), so he's destined to be a Day 3 selection come draft weekend. Zierlein calls Huggins a "block-eater" which is an ideal trait for run-plugging nose tackles. His limited role will likely prevent him from being a target for all NFL teams, but he can be a depth option immediately on the interior.

SOURCE: NFL.com
    Mar 23, 2019, 6:15 PM ET

• ALBERT HUGGINSDL, CLEMSON TIGERS
    https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/38358/albert-huggins
    Clemson DL Albert Huggins ran the 40-yard dash in 5.12 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.
    Huggins (6'3/305) had a really mixed NFL Combine. His 25.5-inch vertical jump was really bad, but he fared better in the broad jump (101 inches). He improved his stock with 35 reps on the bench press but tanked it with two bad scores in the short shuttle (4.84) and in the 3-cone drill (7.84). With such a mixed day, Huggins' Pro Day just became a lot more important.

SOURCE: NFL.com
    Mar 3, 2019, 4:34 PM ET

He improved his stock with 35 reps on the bench press but tanked it with two bad scores in the short shuttle (4.84) and in the 3-cone drill (7.84).
If these are "bad scores" by the NT Huggins, how would the Texans future LT's scores (4.87 short shuttle. 8.34 3 cone) be described?

Nose tackles can be quicker and more explosive but in short bursts north and south. Left tackles need to move laterally and mirror rusher, ability to maintain balance with power.

Nose tackles can be quicker and more explosive but in short bursts north and south. Left tackles need to move laterally and mirror rusher, ability to maintain balance with power.

Depends.

You can be a serviceable nt by just not being moved by double teams. Being able to eat blockers and keep others clean so they can make the plays.

Drew Lewis may take Brian Peters’ roster spot. Has the freak athletic profile of someone that excels on ST. Would give team another ILB that can cover along with Dylan Cole. Doesn’t look as instinctive as Cole in games i’ve seen but certainly has shown the athleticism to run with backs and TEs.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/sta...ak-to-consistent-contributor-for-the-redskins

Also, I think Colorado’s role change making him more of a coverage LB than downhill player his senior year could’ve made him more hesitant which causes him to look less instinctive.

Last edited:
Lonnie Johnson’s CB teammate Derrick Baity an interesting addition we haven’t touched on. Similar size to Johnson but not as athletic. The 4.58 pro day 40 time likely means a move to safety in NFL but did not miss a game in 4 years at Kentucky. Nothing if not dependable.

Am I the only one who'd love to see 40 times done in full gear? These 40 times that we cherish (guilty as well) so much are timed in underwear and the last time I remember, I haven't seen 1 NFL game where the guys are playing flag football in underwear.

Am I the only one who'd love to see 40 times done in full gear? These 40 times that we cherish (guilty as well) so much are timed in underwear and the last time I remember, I haven't seen 1 NFL game where the guys are playing flag football in underwear.

Good point, i'm not sure why they haven't done that. Also having skill players running their time with the football.

What's the point? It's all about relative speed.

The only other UFA thread was full of crap so I thought I would start a new one where we could discuss the actual ones we have signed.

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/37895/drew-lewis

Colorado redshirt senior LB Drew Lewis

• recorded 30 quarterback pressures last season, tied for most among returning FBS linebackers.
      Pro Football Focus passing along this bit of statistical fun. For the campaign as a whole, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Lewis racked up 94 total tackles (5.5 for loss) and a pair of sacks. He's proven to be particularly efficient with his quarterback rushes, making PFF's stat all the more impressive. This isn't just a volume effort.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter
      Jun 9, 2018, 12:43 PM ET

Colorado redshirt junior LB Drew Lewis has created 23 quarterback pressures in 2017, the most of any draft-eligible inside linebacker according to Pro Football Focus.
      Perhaps the most impressive thing is that Lewis (6'2/200) has only attempted to rush the passer 79 times this year, so that means he's hitting at nearly a 30 percent clip when attempting to rush the passer. When your pass-rush pressure percentage doubles as a good batting average, you know you're doing a good job. Lewis will be one of the first inside linebackers off the board in 2017 if he chooses to not stick around Colorado for one more season.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter
      Oct 23, 2017, 9:13 PM ET

Colorado redshirt junior LB Drew Lewis has broad jumped 10’10", better than any linebacker at this year’s NFL combine.
      Lewis (6'2/200) can also power clean 345, second-most on the team, and squat 435 for six reps. His father, Will, played corner the NFL and is now the director of scouting for the Kansas City Chiefs, and his uncle, Tim, is a former first-round pick as a DB by the Green Bay Packers. Lewis' older brother, Ryan, is a CB at Pitt, and three other cousins also played football at Pitt, including former NFL DB and now ESPN analyst Louis Riddick.

6'2 200 is CB/S size, he will never hold up as a LB in the NFL.

Lonnie Johnson’s CB teammate Derrick Baity an interesting addition we haven’t touched on. Similar size to Johnson but not as athletic. The 4.58 pro day 40 time likely means a move to safety in NFL but did not miss a game in 4 years at Kentucky. Nothing if not dependable.
I researched Baity before season started and liked his stats. After watching his season he appeared more of a S. Safety where his lack of athleticism would not be as noticed. I did have him at end of season as an UDFA.
He's 6'2, 225
Yeah Drew Lewis was listed 200 but he played at about 225; his stats show he can block passes (four) and had an INT. I'd like to see him at safety at about 215 ish.

Back