Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Players Signed/Released

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
Signed fifth-round draft pick S Brandon Harrison, sixth-round draft pick G Kasey Studdard and free-agent punter Matt Turk. Released to waivers: G Atlas Herrion, G Enoka Lucas, FB Cory Anderson, RB Darius Walker, DB Derrick Roberson, LB Zac Woodfin, P Eric Wilbur

Damn I was realing hoping (rb) Darius Walker and (fb) Cory Anderson would at least make it into training camp because I do not like Cook as a FB and I thought Walker would be wonderful option as a third down back.

The signficant thing is that Matt Turk was signed. This may anger the Chad.

Turk (6-5, 240) has played in 171 games in 11 pro seasons for four teams, including all 16 games last year with the St. Louis Rams. Turk’s career net punting average of 37.3 yards per punt is the best in the NFL since he entered the league in 1995. Only 335 of Turk’s 862 career punts (38.8 percent) of his punts have been returned.

Last year with St. Louis, Turk averaged 43.5 yards per punt on 72 attempts, and his net average was 38.3 yards per punt. His net averaged ranked seventh in the league, and he had 26 punts downed inside the 20 versus just five touchbacks.

Darius Walker released may get some folks' attention because of the ND thing.

Looks like there won't be any competition for Stanley in training camp after all. And I expect there to be a huge outcry from all those that thought Walker must be placed on the active roster because he would be heavily pursued and immediately picked up if placed on the practice squad. I personally was hoping Anderson and Lucas would at least get a chance in camp (I also would like a better option than Cook if we are going to carry to FBs).

There goes a good chunk of the UDFA class. I hope this is a sign that the competition for playing time on the Texans is starting to heat up.

Roberson was the USDA I was kinda rooting for.

And Turk should beat out Chad for the job.

Whew! One less Leprechaun, and my Buckeye is still in place.

72 Black, Jordan T 6-5 310 Notre Dame 4
26 Earl, Glenn SS 6-1 215 Notre Dame 4
98 Weaver, Anthony DE 6-3 280 Notre Dame 6
42 Mitchell, Brandon * S 6-3 205 Ohio State University 0

Still 3 to 1 my friend :user:

Texas_Chick, in all honesty I just thought he could had a lot on third down, not an every down back or even a speed back.

I am really glad that there is still competition for shanks job.

Looks like there won't be any competition for Stanley in training camp after all. And I expect there to be a huge outcry from all those that thought Walker must be placed on the active roster because he would be heavily pursued and immediately picked up if placed on the practice squad. I personally was hoping Anderson and Lucas would at least get a chance in camp (I also would like a better option than Cook if we are going to carry to FBs).
Matt Turk doesn't qualify as competition?

I am mildly surprised about Lucas. I thought he might have a chance to make the practice squad, although it was going to be a long shot to make the active roster.

But, I am much more suprised at Cory Anderson and Darius Walker.

I thought Anderson was going to give Cook a real run for his money. Even if they are set at only keeping one FB, why show your cards so early? What if Leach is injured in preseason and out for the year? They are telling me that in that case, they would rather have Cook over at least seeing what Anderson can do? And he might at least be a PS candidate himself. Very shortsighted imo.

I kind of feel the same way about Darius Walker. Here is a guy that might be able to compete for a 3rd down back role. Good pass catcher, which is what you want. I know there is a real log jam at rb, but again, you never know with injuries and the like. With quality FA's like these, at least you know you can fall back on someone that is capable of playing a role in the NFL.

Unless these guys were dogging it in OTA's or there is something else we just don't know, then I think this is a very shortsighted decision. You haven't even seen these guys in one single pre-season game. :gun:

Gado, Chris Taylor, Ron Dayne

Why rely on a rookie of Walker's caliber to be your third down back ?

Dang... I just noticed Enoka Lucas on this list. He was supposed to be one of the 5 best Centers coming out.

That surprised me to, because we are getting rather long in the tooth at center so we are going to need a youthful transfusion at some point in time there and reportedly some were very surprised that this guy was undrafted.
But in general I didn't realize they'd start cutting players before anybody did any poppin ?
I dunno, maybe some players are released right away because of an early perceived attitude problem or if they show up in poor condidtion ?

Gado, Chris Taylor, Ron Dayne

Why rely on a rookie of Walker's caliber to be your third down back ?

How do you know what calibur he is until he plays games?

Just ask Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis among others. Or do you just think because he was undrafted, he can't play? In case you forgot, two out of the three players you mentioned were udfa's as well.

That surprised me to, because we are getting rather long in the tooth at center so we are going to need a youthful transfusion at some point in time there and reportedly some were very surprised that this guy was undrafted.
But in general I didn't realize they'd start cutting players before anybody did any poppin ?
I dunno, maybe some players are released right away because of an early perceived attitude problem or if they show up in poor condidtion ?

Maybe the speculation that was floating around here with Studdard being drafted ....he might get a look at Center?

Might be a wild one...but just a thought.

How do you know what calibur he is until he plays games?

Just ask Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis among others. Or do you just think because he was undrafdted, he can't play? In case you forgot, two out of the three players you mentioned were udfa's as well.

Hi, I'm xtru...nice to meet you Porky....

Has nothing to do with his draft status and everything to do with what he can possilbly bring to the table...He isn't explosive, isn't what I'd consider to be a great runner, isn't overly powerful...

I think he's a solid back and if not for the depth we already have I think he could be a decent addition to a ball club...I think he's the type of back that if he trains hard he could be a role player in about 2 yrs....

I just don't see what the hoopla was about him other than the fact that he was decent catching the ball out of the backfield...We have other backs who can catch out of the backfield + are more explosive runners + have the experience edge...

I posted this a while ago and I'll stick to it:

Dayne, Gado, Lundy, Taylor, Walker....

In that order...

After Green, that's my order for right now...

I see the ability in Taylor for him to make a push all the way up to the 2nd RB, but as of right now this is how I'd rank 'em...we'll see if it holds true..

Unless these guys were dogging it in OTA's or there is something else we just don't know, then I think this is a very shortsighted decision. You haven't even seen these guys in one single pre-season game. :gun:

There are many, many things going on that have to do with people getting cut before training camp.

Calling it shortsighted is, well . . . shortsighted.

'The Chad' sucks and needs to go away. Why he is still in the league is a mystery. Maybe Leonard Nimoy and the cast of 'In Search Of' can figure out this age old mystery.

Maybe the speculation that was floating around here with Studdard being drafted ....he might get a look at Center?

Might be a wild one...but just a thought.
Perhaps you're right.
I'd been puzzled about their interest in Studdard to start with, but others more informed than me have pointed out that under new OC Sherman the Texans may be more inclined to move towards a power game that would tend to favor Studdard.
Somebody earlier expressed their support of Hodgdon but I think he to would suffer in a more power orieted offense, as he already has struggled quite a bit in the ZB system and he is smallish.

Somebody earlier expressed their support of Hodgdon but I think he to would suffer in a more power orieted offense, as he already has struggled quite a bit in the ZB system and he is smallish.

I don't think we're building to be a power team...I think Kubiak still wants to eventually become a ZBS oriented offense. Sherman is the power guy and my gut tells me Sherman ain't gonna be here forever...Especially if we start to show signs of success on offense...

I think Hogdon is a decent center. Whether or not he makes it to the roster will have to be seen. I think he does. I think he struggles in the power blocking game, but I like him in the ZBS...

As far as Studdard goes I think he will be good depth, nothing more...He's a guy that played on a big time stage against big time players. He works hard and I see him developing into a solid player. On top of that he plays with fire and a mean streak...I don't see him being picked as a starter though...I think they're pretty happy with Pitts and Weary at the guard spots...JMO...

And also these guys will probably still technically be doing a lot of zone blocking. They will probably just run more inside zone vs. the outside zone stuff that Denver uses a lot of. I'd be a little surprised if they just man blocked...That's a little elementary...

Released to waivers: G Atlas Herrion, G Enoka Lucas, FB Cory Anderson, RB Darius Walker, DB Derrick Roberson, LB Zac Woodfin, P Eric Wilbur
Geez, this guy didn't even make it through the month.
Texans | Woodfin signed
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:55:22 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have signed street free-agent LB Zac Woodfin. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

And also these guys will probably still technically be doing a lot of zone blocking. They will probably just run more inside zone vs. the outside zone stuff that Denver uses a lot of. I'd be a little surprised if they just man blocked...That's a little elementary...

In another thread the other day, others provided some links to remarks made by Sherman since he's become the OC indicating he's interested in a more "blended" approach utilizing both schemes in his plans for the OLine than what was initially installed last year.
With TC now on the verge of beginning (thank god !), we should definitely get clarification about what they've got in mind.

I am mildly surprised about Lucas. I thought he might have a chance to make the practice squad, although it was going to be a long shot to make the active roster.

But, I am much more suprised at Cory Anderson and Darius Walker.

I thought Anderson was going to give Cook a real run for his money. Even if they are set at only keeping one FB, why show your cards so early? What if Leach is injured in preseason and out for the year? They are telling me that in that case, they would rather have Cook over at least seeing what Anderson can do? And he might at least be a PS candidate himself. Very shortsighted imo.

I kind of feel the same way about Darius Walker. Here is a guy that might be able to compete for a 3rd down back role. Good pass catcher, which is what you want. I know there is a real log jam at rb, but again, you never know with injuries and the like. With quality FA's like these, at least you know you can fall back on someone that is capable of playing a role in the NFL.

This really doesn't make much sense to me. They released several young guys that I thought they would keep around for camp. Since the rookies reported yesterday, they might have had some weight issues, or maybe didn't know the playbook as well as Kubiak wanted them to. Why release them before camp even starts? Why not at least let them go through one preseason game to see if they would be viable practice squad guys?

Since the rookies reported yesterday, they might have had some weight issues, or maybe didn't know the playbook as well as Kubiak wanted them to.

Never really thought about that... maybe they were asked to learn the playbook and failed their tests. Or maybe they're simply not NFL material based on the coaches evaluations. Either way, we will probably never get the full story.

They need to be at 80, plus exemptions by the time camp starts. They were carrying too many guys on the roster.

If you can't make the 80, there's a high probability that you can't make the 53.

http://www.kffl.com/team/18/NFL

Texans | Woodfin released
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:17:20 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have released LB Zac Woodfin.

Texans | Wilbur released
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:16:55 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have released P Eric Wilbur.

Texans | Walker released
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:16:15 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have released RB Darius Walker.

Texans | Roberson released
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:15:49 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have released CB Derrick Roberson.

Texans | Lucas released
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:15:25 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have released C Enoka Lucas.

Texans | Herrion released
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:15:10 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have released OT Atlas Herrion.

Texans | Co. Anderson released
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:14:45 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have released FB Cory Anderson.

Texans | Turk signed
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:14:22 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have signed unrestricted free-agent P Matt Turk (Rams). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Woodfin didn't last long

competition at punter now

Newbomb Turk at Punter. I hope this becomes a reality so that I can dust off of my Hollywood Knights references.

Looking forward to seeing Abbate in camp.

My first reaction to the list was to wonder about the wasted money spent on Woodfin, seems like a strange thing to do... I know there a lot of guys signed on that won't make the roster but 2 weeks is an awfully fast turn around period to lose interset in a player.

I like the Turk pick up too.

My first reaction to the list was to wonder about the wasted money spent on Woodfin,.

Exactly how much money did they waste?

These fringe guys that teams (all teams) bring in during the offseason are signed to letter contracts with small bonuses and a stipend that typically has the net effect of slightly more than nothing.

This really doesn't make much sense to me. They released several young guys that I thought they would keep around for camp. Since the rookies reported yesterday, they might have had some weight issues, or maybe didn't know the playbook as well as Kubiak wanted them to. Why release them before camp even starts? Why not at least let them go through one preseason game to see if they would be viable practice squad guys?

Maybe they had bad attitdes.

Or maybe Kubiak did them a favor. Maybe he felt like they were fairly talented, but had no chance of making our team and he cut them early so they still had time to get into another teams camp.

Or Maybe he just didn't think they were all that good.

But how do you know if an OLineman is of any value to you, one way or the other, until you line him on a DLineman and they go Mano Mano to see which one is the butt-kicker and which one is the butt-kickee ?

But how do you know if an OLineman is of any value to you, one way or the other, until you line him on a DLineman and they go Mano Mano to see which one is the butt-kicker and which one is the butt-kickee ?

From my understanding the Linemen were being pretty physical all throughout camp. Okoye said that it was a big difference from college because even though they didn't have pads on they were going at it like they did.

I don't think it's all that unreasonable to have gone through the workouts and have seen something in these guys that made the weary...All of these guys didn't have to get cut for the same reason either. I think thats the biggest key, and it was really what I was hinting at. All of these guys could have been cut for various reasons listed in this thread.

Maybe they had bad attitdes.

Or maybe Kubiak did them a favor. Maybe he felt like they were fairly talented, but had no chance of making our team and he cut them early so they still had time to get into another teams camp.

Good points. On top of that you have to look at who is on the team. This isn't fantasy football where you can just stash guys in case of injuries. You need guys who can play and who have roles. Right now we have Ahman Green who will get a bulk of carries. Then you have Dayne and Taylor, a sleeper that people wanted to see from last year. Add to that Gado, a vet with this system experience and Lundy, with system experience and where is Darius Walker going to fit. Many of these guys, like Cory at FB, may still be out there if things aren't going to plan. I just think it is how they run their system and you can't just have a full roster of "this guys may break out if 4 guys get hurt." Those are time and place decisions.

It's like Rick Smith said, We want to be in a position where we have to cut "good" players. That means are team is getting stronger.

I liked Walker. He will probably get picked up quickly.

I visit several ND sites. There are posters who believe Darius come out early because he would have had a difficult time starting in the Irish backfield this year....idonno:

Personally I liked the guy and thought he did a good job for the Irish last year.

Someone else will take a look at him. IIRC we out talked Chicago for his signature this year.

:coffee:

I visit several ND sites. There are posters who believe Darius come out early because he would have had a difficult time starting in the Irish backfield this year....idonno:

Personally I liked the guy and thought he did a good job for the Irish last year.

Someone else will take a look at him. IIRC we out talked Chicago for his signature this year.

No offense cup, but I think the Irish could've had better seasons with a good running game. IMO, that's why they never really won against good teams. The opposing team would rush Quinn due to a mediocre running game.

I never really thought Walker was that good at hitting the holes with any kind of speed.

I watched them quite often because my dad graduated from Purdue. I've kinda enjoyed ribbing him over the past few years.:cool:

I never really thought Walker was that good at hitting the holes with any kind of speed.

Same thing I thought...

I just honestly don't think he's all that good...I watched him a lot last year as well and I wasn't impressed...

Cutting some street FA's and undrafted players isn't a shock....all NFL teams are cutting guys to get to their roster limits....teams sign guys and they know that most of the guys they sign won't make it...it's just a part of the yearly deal trying to leave no stone unturned. I guess my favorite college FB Cory Anderson showed me why he wasn't drafted to begin with.

No offense cup, but I think the Irish could've had better seasons with a good running game. IMO, that's why they never really won against good teams. The opposing team would rush Quinn due to a mediocre running game.

I watched them quite often because my dad graduated from Purdue. I've kinda enjoyed ribbing him over the past few years.:cool:

No offense taken...:cool:

Unlike fans of a certain team in this state, which won't be named, I refrain from pimping players from ND.

Although, admittedly, during the DavieHam years there wasn't much to pimp about.

But check out my avatar. :D

Darius stats from last year aren't to shabby though:

1267 yds on 255 carries for 7 TDs and a 5.0 avg.

391 yds and a TD on 56 catches...

But you are correct about his lack of speed.

I said all along that Walker did not have but avg speed at best, but he can catch out of the back field and he was not a dog at picking up the blitz.

And Vinny he was the other player I was looking at hoping he could show something, mainly because the alternative is cook is the back-up FB. And that is never a good thing.

Back